So, how young is too young to Trick-or-Treat?

We bought costumes and dressed DS17 up when he was 4 months old, and went TT with my sister and nephew who was 2 1/2. I don't really think we collected any candy for him, just walked around for fun.

DS17 was 4 when DD was 4 months old at her forst halloween, so in the stroller she went and we walked him around. Again, pretty sure we didn't collect any candy for her.

DS17 was 6, DD13 was a little over 2, and DS11 was 10 months at HIS first halloween, and we walked him around in the stroller while his siblings went up to the doors. Occasionally, someone would give him a lollipop to suck on as we walked. I don't recall him really having more candy than that, and to be honest, we just as likely took something out of DD's bag to give baby DS rather than a kind neighbor giving it to him.

For actually going up to the door and holding a bag out for candy, I think it was pretty much when they were old enough to walk and say something that sounded like thank you.

My kids didn't eat a lot of candy when they were really little, so after DH and I took what we wanted, we would bring the rest up to the local dentist who would buy it by the pound and ship it to the soldiers overseas.

As for how old to go out by themselves with no parents:

DS17 and DD13 started going out alone when they hit middle school and wanted to go with their friends. We would be out with the younger kids and let the older ones run on ahead and met them at home later.

DS11 and DNephew11 are in 6th grade this year, but DN11 isn't quite as mature as his cousins, so I think we will go with them. Maybe let them run ahead on the same block this year, and reevaluate maturity levels in 7th grade. If it was just DS11, I would have no problem letting him go with friends this year.

Last edited:
We took ours out when they were babies. Our neighbors wanted to see them and I wanted to show off their homemade costumes! I love to see the little ones dressed up. With all the awful things going on in this world I love to see innocent children dressed up and parents enjoying them, having family time. I think it's great!

We live in a neighborhood where everyone knows each other, and also in an area that gets a ton of kids. It’s a social thing, walking around and running into people you know.

That makes sense. The solo babies I’ve seen have been carried to my door and I don’t know their parents.

How young is too young to send kids out trick-or-treating on their own without adult (or older sibling) supervision?

Depends on SO many factors.

Vehicle traffic? General crime rate? Are they going in a group, or alone? How young do other kids in the neighbourhood start going alone? Do they go in large groups? Are there tons of other kids and adults out on the street? What time of night are we doing this? Does your child know what to do if someone is making them feel uncomfortable, or if they find themselves in trouble? Do they know the neighbourhood, and the people who live in it, well? Are they equipped with a cellphone? Are bears or coyotes or other predatory critters a concern where you live? Etc, etc.

We live in a neighborhood where everyone knows each other, and also in an area that gets a ton of kids. It’s a social thing, walking around and running into people you know.

Same here. Some people bring babies/toddlers in strollers or carry them to the door. They're usually neighbors that we know. I don't mind; I enjoy seeing the little ones in cute costumes. I keep some alternate treats for the younger ones if their parents don't want them having candy-- things like pretzels, fruit roll-ups or animal crackers.

Around here, unlike many other regions, trick or treating starts in the afternoon right after school lets out. So a lot of the youngest kids make the rounds of their immediate area and are done before dark.

DS was just a couple weeks shy of one on his first Halloween. I think we took him to his grandmother's house, our next-door neighbors' house, and the house across the street. (But he also got to wear his costume for playgroup at the library).

I love seeing the adorable outfits, so I always enjoy it when the babies come along with their older siblings, and I usually ask mom or dad which candy they like.

Same here. Some people bring babies/toddlers in strollers or carry them to the door. They're usually neighbors that we know. I don't mind; I enjoy seeing the little ones in cute costumes. I keep some alternate treats for the younger ones if their parents don't want them having candy-- things like pretzels, fruit roll-ups or animal crackers.

Around here, unlike many other regions, trick or treating starts in the afternoon right after school lets out. So a lot of the youngest kids make the rounds of their immediate area and are done before dark.
Because all of the elementary schools have parades, TOTing starts at 3.

How young is too young to send kids out trick-or-treating on their own without adult (or older sibling) supervision?
I think we started around 5th grade, but we have a walking town, all sidewalks, and everyone knows everyone. By 5th grade kids are walking all over on regular days. Younger elementary kids walked with their friends, usually with some dads in tow pulling a beer cooler!

I don't mind giving candy to parents who bring babies to the door. I remember how much fun it was to take my son trick-or-treating for the first time.

I think we started around 5th grade, but we have a walking town, all sidewalks, and everyone knows everyone. By 5th grade kids are walking all over on regular days. Younger elementary kids walked with their friends, usually with some dads in tow pulling a beer cooler!

That's later than us!

I'm pretty sure my kids were allowed to head out on their own by about age six or seven, or so, though they'd be in a large group with older kids (in the 10 to 11 year old range, and explicitly instructed to be responsible for the smaller kids), and not venturing very far from home. There's our block, plus one long street they'd go up and down.

Also a walking town. :)

I took DS10 to a few houses when he was baby mainly because he was way too cute in his giraffe costume so we wanted to show him off. By the time DS6 was born we were trick or treating with a large group. That year big brother was a knight and baby brother was a dragon. They were soooo cute together.

Mine was two weeks old, and yes, I took her trick or treating (but didn't collect candy) a few places, but it was mostly because I wanted to visit a couple people and get out of the house to show her off. (and yes, the pediatrician said it was okay)

For those that say 'the baby doesn't get it at that age', well, they don't 'get it' going to church, having their first birthday party, getting Christmas presents, taking vacation, or any of the other million things we do with them when they are too young to remember it. They won't remember it, but Mom and Dad WILL remember it.

We waited until a little over 2 years old for traditional trick or treating.

My first was about 5 months old the first Halloween, so we didn't do anything (I think he had Halloween themed clothes, but no costume). The next year (17 months old), he did "trick or treating" at his daycare and other events around the community, but not door-to-door and that was enough for us. The next year, he would have been nearly 2 1/2 and we did traditional trick or treating.

With my twins, we did get costumes (to go with big brother) for Halloween and went to a neighborhood gathering and dressed them on the day, but didn't do any activities (they were 6 weeks old). Next Halloween, we dressed them up, and we might have done the daycare thing, but no trick or treating. Then the next year (just over 2) I think it was actual trick or treating.

Anyhow, I think dressing baby up is cute. Take pictures, go to a Halloween/Fall festival or event, but door to door trick or treating at night with just a baby would not be my choice (different if you have older kids in the mix as well)

Last year, our neighbors brought their 8 month old daughter out trick or treating, while it was still light out and just to homes in the immediate area. The baby was cute, but I don't think she had a clue as to what was going on, although she did stare at the skeleton animatronic during his whole show in our graveyard setup.

FKCL7DTI0LCHWI8.MEDIUM.jpg

I absolutely love the parents out with their babies. I don't even care if they are in it just to get candy for themselves. Anyone of any age is welcome at my door. Babies, children, teens and adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter