So once you get the Vaccine or have recovered from Covid; are you safe..........

Kitty 34

Hums in her sleep
.....to be around others and vice versa?

If this has been answered already on other threads, please direct me to those links. I am not starting a thread to get everyone all riled; I really would love to know answers IF there are any right now.

Short answer - probably. Long answer, we don't quite know. As far as the vaccines go, the assumption is you will not shed live virus, or at least hardly any until your immune system kicks in, if you do get infected. BUT, science does not make assumptions so they need to do studies on viral shedding in vaccinated vs non-vaccinated people. I suspect that answer will come out in the relatively near future.

If you’ve gotten Covid and recovered, I’d say probably. But they’re still determining if the vaccine prevents transmission or just prevents serious illness. So if you’ve gotten the vaccine, I’d say until we know for sure about transmission, there will still need to be distancing. Which is frustrating but obviously something we need to know.

Short answer - probably. Long answer, we don't quite know. As far as the vaccines go, the assumption is you will not shed live virus, or at least hardly any until your immune system kicks in, if you do get infected. BUT, science does not make assumptions so they need to do studies on viral shedding in vaccinated vs non-vaccinated people. I suspect that answer will come out in the relatively near future.

This.....100%. It's going to take a bit of time until we know. I'm hopeful though.

I'm hearing that if you've had COVID, you are safe for about 3 months/90 days. The antibodies start dropping then. Whether you can then get the same strain is unknown at this point. There are a few mutations going around so you could possibly get another strain.

As for the vaccine, I still don't think they know how long immunity lasts. It might be like the flu where it doesn't work in the next season. But since COVID doesn't seem to have a real season, who knows?

I am guessing (quite uneducated) that like getting the flu or the flu vaccine, you are protected "this year". You can get infected next year and willneed another flu shot next year (or in the case of Covid, whatever period of time between boosters they determine).

FWIW, even a flu vaccine does not guarantee you won't get the flu. I recall reading the flu vaccine has only a 60ish% efficacy. And people who get the flu can get it again that same season.

I am guessing (quite uneducated) that like getting the flu or the flu vaccine, you are protected "this year". You can get infected next year and willneed another flu shot next year (or in the case of Covid, whatever period of time between boosters they determine).

FWIW, even a flu vaccine does not guarantee you won't get the flu. I recall reading the flu vaccine has only a 60ish% efficacy. And people who get the flu can get it again that same season.

Yes...and actually, 60% for the flu vaccine is great year. Normally it's less than that.

If you get the vaccine and still can’t be around people then what’s the point?

That’s why I’m waiting to get the vaccine. I had covid in November so I’m “good” for 90 days. But I’m also waiting due to the fact that I would still have to wear a mask and social distance anyway and I don’t feel comfortable being in the first rounds. I’ll rethink it in the summer.

That’s why I’m waiting to get the vaccine. I had covid in November so I’m “good” for 90 days. But I’m also waiting due to the fact that I would still have to wear a mask and social distance anyway and I don’t feel comfortable being in the first rounds. I’ll rethink it in the summer.
Because if you get it again, it’s less likely to be fatal or serious enough that you need medical intervention. I’m assuming you have been following all the guidelines, yet you still got it in November. Do you really want to get it again?

Because if you get it again, it’s less likely to be fatal or serious enough that you need medical intervention. I’m assuming you have been following all the guidelines, yet you still got it in November. Do you really want to get it again?

No I don’t want to get it again (I was lucky that it was just cold symptoms for me) but I’ll wait until the summer and reevaluate once they hopefully know more.

The Covid vaccine has around 94% efficacy. Which is way way better than the Flu's paltry 60%. And the vaccine is supposed to make those who do become infected have symptoms that are far weaker.

So...to answer your question...you can still "be around people" when you are vaccinated. You will be far less likely to spread, contract and die of Covid.

There is this: In February 2020, I was sick for an entire month with a bad cough and headaches and my voice up and disappeared for weeks after I felt better. My doctor said it was a bug going around. Of course, we didn't know then. The baby that I lived with had a bad cough and while we were playing together stuck one of his toys from his mouth into mine. Of course I got sick. Was it Covid? I don't know...but I did get Covid and I felt exponentially worse only months later. So any protection I might have had didn't last more than a few months. I will get vaccinated as soon as I'm able.

.....to be around others and vice versa?

If this has been answered already on other threads, please direct me to those links. I am not starting a thread to get everyone all riled; I really would love to know answers IF there are any right now.
Yes...no...maybe so....

They're not sure.

Be aware the vaccine doesn't stop you from getting COVID (if you get it, you'll probably have a mild case, or be asymptomatic), but they're not sure whether you'll still be contagious if you've had the vaccine.

That's why they're saying "continue to wear masks and distance" even after the vaccine is available. And it'll take months to get enough people vaccinated to have a major effect on the disease.

I think many people are forgetting that the studies for the COVID-19 vaccines occurred for just months before Pfizer and Moderna were given an EUA. And these trials were very specific about the one thing they were trying to conclude.

Literally, the only certain thing that can be taken from the studies so far is the fact that the vaccine is effective in reducing severe symptomsnot preventing infection, symptom, or transmission—in 95% of the people who got the vaccine. (Why not in the remaining 5%? Not sure).
Anything else is just speculation and a best guess.

Science needs more time to determine any other information.

I think many people are forgetting that the studies for the COVID-19 vaccines occurred for just months before Pfizer and Moderna were given an EUA. And these trials were very specific about the one thing they were trying to conclude.

Literally, the only certain thing that can be taken from the studies so far is the fact that the vaccine is effective in reducing severe symptomsnot preventing infection, symptom, or transmission—in 95% of the people who got the vaccine. (Why not in the remaining 5%? Not sure).
Anything else is just speculation and a best guess.

Science needs more time to determine any other information.
Well said.

My friend is in her 80's and had covid in June. She donates blood regularly and as of her last donation in December she still was showing positive antibodies. Enough to prevent reinfection? Not sure. But it is probably better than no antibodies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter