So what type of park bag is everyone using these days?

Kooks and Bay Bay

Earning My Ears
Over the years I seem to have started taking less and less into the parks.

Went from a small backpack, to a medium crossbody bag, to a small crossbody bag but now I'm considering a belt bag.

The crossbody while convenient for most attractions has really started to hurt my shoulders the past couple of trips plus its stuch a pain if I'm walking through security with a poncho on and they decide they'd really like to look in it.

I crave the freedom of taking less and less although I could never go bagless as I hate putting anything in my pockets.

We've even decided on our next trip to bring a water bottle clip to hook onto our shorts but try to stick to just free ice water or only buy a bottle of water when we are going to drink it with a snack right then.

Just wondering what everyone else takes for a park bag these days?

I know they can be fairly polarizing, but I pretty much exclusively use mini Loungefly backpacks nowadays. Nothing else quite hits the sweet spot of compact size, storage capacity, and lightweight/comfortable to carry that I enjoy about them. They are admittedly a pain to pack in suitcases, which is the one downside to them. But nothing else I've found can carry all my stuff--21 oz water bottle, rain gear, meds--without being obnoxiously huge and burdensome.

I use LeSportsac crossbodies - they are lightweight and washable, super easy to pack and carry everything I need. They have Disney collabs. If you are looking for a light, belt bag, Vera Bradley just came out with a Disney solids collection and they have belt bags. I got a crossbody version and I love it! Roomy but very lightweight.

Well, it depends a lot on the weather. I have some small Dooney crossbody bags for days when it’s sunny. If it’s more likely to rain, I have a crossbody bag big enough to hold my nylon rain poncho and my umbrella. I used to wear cargo pants/capris until my phone got too large for the pockets. Going bag free was the best!

Loungefly. Fairly sturdy. Big enough but not too big. Repels rain pretty well. Wish they had more pockets, so I have added a couple of bumkin bags to hold small stuff and a smaller pouch for cash and cards. My wallet is just too big for the parks. We also carry our water bottles with a strap that you can wear either over your shoulder or crosswise. At Universal Orlando, I go down to something smaller, so stuff fits in the tiny free lockers on locker rides.

I wish I could get in on the new belt bag trend, but I’m chesty with broad shoulders so they just look weird on me. And although I love looking at the Loungefly backpacks, I really dislike wearing backpacks. So I’ll stick to my little crossbody bags. Currently, I’m carrying a Dooney & Bourke in the Disney sketch print to the parks. In nylon, so it’s lighter and waterproof.

I'm an outlier since I use the "go big or go home" size Dooney totes. I'm the family sherpa (somebody forgot sunscreen? gotcha covered). Also, with no resort package delivery, I can at least buy it if fits in the bag. I used to use LeSportsac but the fabric can't take the wear and tear like the leather Dooney. Those things are tanks.

Depends on the day and what I'm wearing and if the rain (cause you know it's going to rain) is going to be light all day, just an afternoon shower or a gully washer.

If I'm wearing a skort with pockets (which is what I wear 90% of the time, only wear something different in the winter) and it's only supposed to be a maybe rain, I go bagless and get free water in the park. I carry my phone in one pocket, my charger in the other and a disposable poncho in the back pocket. All the pockets on my skorts zip and are fairly deep. I have four of these except in women's size https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-outdoors-girls-caddo-lake-skort. My phone has a little pouch on it with my ID, CC, AP and a little cash. Glasses on my face or around my neck. If I'm feeling it, I have a water bottle holder that also holds my phone and some cash so I'll carry that crossbody. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BGS7JGRT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

If I know it's going to rain but not all day or a gully washer, I'll wear a fanny pack. And, yes, I embrace the fanny pack and wear it around my waist. I have a couple that I can fit a larger Disney poncho or small umbrella in and the straps are sturdy enough I can hang a water bottle on a clip. I have this one but rarely use it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073M1CL48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I have an old LeSportsSac one I use most of the time.

If I know it's going to rain all day, I'll take a Loungefly or something the same size. I can fit both a poncho or raincoat and an umbrella and my water bottle either inside or hanging from the loop on a clip. I have found some good dupes for Loungeflys at T.J. Maxx that are just a tad, and I mean a tad, larger.

Options and carabiners of all sizes, I tell you. I do have a couple of crossbody bags I sometimes take with me but I've learned as I get older, the strap across my shoulder hurts and they are usually too heavy.

I prefer a small backpack with lots of pockets. Exterior side pockets for water bottle and phone (why do women’s shorts have such tiny pockets?!?), pocket on the backside for valuables, plenty of room inside for rain jacket, etc. Not cute like loungefly but much better organized.
This is what I currently have: https://a.co/d/1WELBET

I would love to go bagless, but with the Florida sun bringing sun cream is a must. We also bring refillable waterbottles and some snacks. Luckily my husband doesn’t mind carrying a backpack though. We use the Nordace Sienna backpack.

Like OP, I don't like carrying things in my pockets. I also don't like wearing things crossbody.

If I need to carry quite a bit, I have an Ameribag Healthy Back Bag xsmall..... holds tons. Comfy over the shoulder and easy access to lots of pockets. (I think they are designed to also be wearable crossbody.)

As for belt bags- The JanSport Fifth Ave Fx Fanny Pack has gotten me through a couple of Universal trips very comfortably. Holds quite a bit (At the very least I carry my phone, prescription sunglasses, sunscreen and a couple disposable ponchos) and works comfortably as a waist bag (I tend to wear it below the waist). Between rides, I carried it over my shoulder.

I will pack both bags when we head to WDW in 2025 :-)

As for the free ice water- so easy. We were in WDW for a week spring 2022 and didn't bother to carry our water bottles. Whenever we found ourselves paused near a QS location, someone would pop in and grab a couple cups of ice water (no need to wait in line). If someone was suddenly thirsty, there always seemed to be a place nearby.

Nowadays, it's all about choosing between a comfy belt bag or a handy mini Loungefly backpack for the park, aiming for both convenience and comfort.

I have been using a fannypack - usually around my waist to give my shoulder a break. Inside is a tiny water bottle, small powerbank, a few pins, and a couple of other small odds and ends. My phone generally goes in my pocket to reduce the weight.

15C6DD83-B5EB-48EA-A1A2-89771FC924DF.jpeg

I recently bought a packable crossbody from Decathlon and I am super impressed. The straps are wide so it doesn’t hurt my shoulder, the material is insanely light weight (it weighs similar to my fanny pack), it slouches to not look ridiculous when carrying very little, but expands easily to carry sweaters/shopping, the two water bottle pockets are the better quality super stretchy outdoor kind that is a dream to use, has several zippered compartments, and is under $10.

Don’t see it currently sold in Decathlon US but it’s available in Canada. https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/8560413/trekking-100-compact-shoulder-bag-15-l

7217FE8C-AFCC-49B4-A9B1-F73DA3DF55DE.jpeg

I do alternate between my fannypack and the packable crossbody.

The mini Loungefly bags are super cute but look so heavy with the leather. Plus I really hate carrying backpacks although the weight is so much better distributed on two shoulders. When travelling with my (older) kids, I carry next to nothing and let them alternate carrying the backpack lol.

We have a super cute Loungefly backpack I got used for $20 from a Disney Facebook group.

9FE633F3-B125-4FDB-9900-8FDC77F5C3AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
OP here just wanted to pop on and say that I appreciate people sharing what they are using. Gives me some good ideas.

I wanted to add that if I use a belt bag its being used as a belt bag not crossbody. If I wanted crossbody I'd just use my crossbody bags haha. I know I wouldn't be "trendy" but I'd wear it on my waist.

I also wanted to put this out there in case anyone is interested in it.
I'd say one of the best ways I went bagless was using one of the those stretchy fabric bands with pockets.
I think they one I have is called stash bandz.
The pros is that its pretty slim under your clothes, carries a lot, and doesn't feel weighed down.
But idk if I can get over the few cons to use it again which were it made my shorts wet with sweat, the items inside got damp with sweat, I couldn't carry my chap stick because it got melty, and its annoying when you go to the bathroom because you havet to pull it up and your shorts down and its just kind of awkward to do that.
But it was great to feel like I was bagless while still having my stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter