Soarin over Cali

I'm fine with the dirt/grass smell as it makes sense for the scene and doesn't smell overly fake (but I can see how it might bother some especially as it can be quite strong some days), but both of those other smells make me gag. They smell like bad deodorant to me :crazy2:. Totally fake and not what I would expect to smell in those locations.

They're the other reason I always feel disappointed after getting off World even if I lucked out and got a semi decent view by being placed dead center.

I'm so looking forward to the California smells returning just as much as I'm looking forward to the visuals not being distorted. Trying to convince my mom we need to do a longer, additional trip during her spring break just so we can ride a dozen more times than we'll get to over the 4 day weekend in April we currently have planned. Unfortunately they're about two weeks apart so I've got a lot of sweet talking to do to spend the extra money on a hotel :rotfl:

Neither! SF Bay Area. East to be exact.

But that's interesting to know about LA county, thank you! I'm going to tuck away that little observation away in my pocket. In the Bay, I've noticed more who say it are about as far east in East Bay as you can get. My boss (raised South Bay) hates I say Cali. Also hates I say SoCal and NorCal and insists they're not a thing to say and it's just me that says them (she wants "Southern California"and "Northern California" to be said) so she's probably not the best example, lol!

And agreed with your other post: would love to see this extended. Heck, I'd love to see it permanent again. Clearly I love my home state so I'm biased there. It's also just such a better film with better scents. I like not having to worry about where I sit distorting the film. I usually skip this ride currently or, at most, one ride a trip. But I always get off the ride disappointed how subpar it is now as World.

lol I grew up in the north bay and I say SoCal/NorCal all the time.... saying “Southern California” is pretty formal, I only hear the weatherman on TV say that.

as for “Cali” I only ever hear out of state people say it, or locals saying it to be ironic:tongue:

lol I grew up in the north bay and I say SoCal/NorCal all the time.... saying “Southern California” is pretty formal, I only hear the weatherman on TV say that.

as for “Cali” I only ever hear out of state people say it, or locals saying it to be ironic:tongue:

Okay, been trying to not continue responding cause it is getting really OT :rotfl: . But want to clear up that I was using the SoCal/NorCal thing as a reference for why my boss is a bad example for regional slang differences. We all know SoCal/NorCal is one of the few things we don't really debate as being a thing that is said. My boss is crazy, though, and thinks anything she doesn't say isn't used by anyone. She actually tells me I made it up if she doesn't use it. My boss is awesome, but she does have flaws I've learned to mostly put up with.

You've now met a Californian that says Cali and isn't doing so ironically :smooth:. For me it's a term of endearment for my home state :love:

You've now met a Californian that says Cali and isn't doing so ironically :smooth:. For me it's a term of endearment for my home state :love:

Haha as long as it’s used with love, the California tent is large.

Also, point of order, this is not off topic because we are discussing the potential nicknames for this ride when it flips over :teacher:

Haha as long as it’s used with love, the California tent is large.

Also, point of order, this is not off topic because we are discussing the potential nicknames for this ride when it flips over :teacher:

It's like the times I call my mom "mommy" instead of "mom" or "mother". I call her mommy when I'm feeling especially loving towards her, so I call California Cali when I'm feeling especially loving towards my home state :cloud9:

The Cali part could be debated as on topic yes, but not the "SoCal/NorCal" part:rotfl: . At least we haven't broken into highway name talk!

Ugh! I'm getting so giddy thinking about this ride! I missed the return last year because I had to take a year break from my pass due to work (but you better believe I wrote Disney with feedback that I was so happy it came back and wished it would stay) so getting to see it during a planned (and trying to plan a second) trip is going to be so magical. It just feels like home riding it.

Does anyone know how much time it takes to change over.. Ca version is until April 21... if we were there April 21 and April 22 would we get to see both versions ?

Does anyone know how much time it takes to change over.. Ca version is until April 21... if we were there April 21 and April 22 would we get to see both versions ?

From what I recall, it's an easy change that I THINK can happen overnight. The sign out front after the Grizzly Peak renovation changed it to the location being just a hanging sign under "Soarin' Over" that's a quick swap. Beyond that, everything else should be relatively easy to switch behind the scenes. I definitely don't see any downtime in the calendar for the change to Cali from World and it should be showing by now if there was going to be a down day.

That said, last time (summer 2019) they extended "due to popular demand" and had Cali sticking around for another two months (so instead of ending end of June, it ended end of August). That was announced about a week before it was scheduled to end in June. So there's no guarantee they will extend and no guarantee they won't. And we likely won't know until closer to the end date if/when it will actually switch to World.

But if it doesn't extend and it really can change overnight, I could see it switching in time to ride both.

Fun fact: Cali is regional slang in California. I'm born and raised in the state and I say Cali :rotfl2:. I do have friends that hate I say it, but they say San Fran so I figure we're even on how much we annoy each other with them.
I'm born and raised in the state as well and say Cali. People definitely get annoyed with it -- so funny. What I'm not fond of are NorCal and SoCal... eh, sounds silly to me for some reason.

It just feels like home riding it.

Because it IS home!

Wifey and I have been married 11 years now, and Soarin’ over California was our go-to ride when we went on our Disneyland dates in college. Our daughter loves the World version, so we get to introduce her to the Calif. version in April (we missed the last conversion).

on a side note, I’m always annoyed I’m moving so fast in the right side lanes that I haven’t yet memorized what’s on that wall.

Because it IS home!

Wifey and I have been married 11 years now, and Soarin’ over California was our go-to ride when we went on our Disneyland dates in college. Our daughter loves the World version, so we get to introduce her to the Calif. version in April (we missed the last conversion).

on a side note, I’m always annoyed I’m moving so fast in the right side lanes that I haven’t yet memorized what’s on that wall.

Not gonna lie. I may cry the first time I get to ride this again. Really, really hoping I can convince my mom to go her spring break too so we can ride it again and again. One weekend is not going to be enough.

And oh my goodness, yes! It's the annoying thing about FP for Soarin'. No time to really see it and you can only really see it well if you're in that line.

So bummed we will miss this...we leave Feb 22. My kids have never done the original Soarin bc they weren't tall enough back then. They love the new one so I can just imagine how much they would love the old one!

I was reading on MousePlanet that the California version is coming back permanently to DCA later this month. For those who did it in the summer of 2019, does the intro video still have Patrick Warburton in it?

Not gonna lie. I may cry the first time I get to ride this again. Really, really hoping I can convince my mom to go her spring break too so we can ride it again and again. One weekend is not going to be enough.

And oh my goodness, yes! It's the annoying thing about FP for Soarin'. No time to really see it and you can only really see it well if you're in that line.
I did get teary eyed when I rode it in August last year. So fun to hear everyone on the ride clap afterwards!

I was reading on MousePlanet that the California version is coming back permanently to DCA later this month. For those who did it in the summer of 2019, does the intro video still have Patrick Warburton in it?
Everything they have announced is it is just running through F&W festival. I would be interested to see where Mouseplanet is getting their info from as even Disney has said it is just temporary return.

So bummed we will miss this...we leave Feb 22. My kids have never done the original Soarin bc they weren't tall enough back then. They love the new one so I can just imagine how much they would love the old one!
We leave on the 27th 😭 there are 8 of us so the cost involved to extend our trip 2 extra days was not something we could do. I sure wish Disneyland Resort would release information sooner like they do for WDW, it would make trip planning a lot less stressful! And ultimately less disapointing when things like this happen. We never would have booked now, had we known Haunted Mansion would be closed!! They 100% have all that kind of thing scheduled a year in advance, why not just let the public know so we can plan our expensive, once every few years is we are lucky, vacations!!

I would love it if this were true, but everything I've seen says temporary. Here's hoping!

Everything they have announced is it is just running through F&W festival. I would be interested to see where Mouseplanet is getting their info from as even Disney has said it is just temporary return.

Their update article does not give any sources. They have been pretty reliable with their reporting from what I have noticed, but it's possible that they got it wrong this time. I've seen the original plenty of times and never seen World, so I would be just as happy to have World be the version that is operating this summer.

I did get teary eyed when I rode it in August last year. So fun to hear everyone on the ride clap afterwards!

I’m so glad I’m not the only one.... even when I rode it for the first time at WDW, I got teary eyed. There is just something so special about Soarin over California. We moved to San Diego in June, and were beyond excited to see the California version again. We rode it multiple times last summer and it was so meaningful seeing the scenes from down here in SD. Proud of our new home state!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter