SOLO: A Chunkymonkey Story - June 2018! NEW 8/23 Last SOLO Moments THE END - Final VLOG posted!

Last minute trips are the best! I'm considering a solo trip this fall myself.

Shop, shop, shop 'til your heart's content! Think of all you can do without anyone asking if you're ready to leave. This is exactly why I prefer to shop solo. So many great eating and drinking options is DS, too!

Caring for Giants or Savor the Savannah both sound like good options to do solo.

Another thing I would love to try is the Highway in the Sky Dine Around. You have a great personality and would have no trouble doing that by yourself.

I had a few solo hours on my last trip and it was so amazing how much more I could focus. I took the train all the way around MK, I rode the people mover twice and I walked down Main Street and just stood there. I just priced out a solo trip in September. Hmmmm so tempting

Things to Contemplate on a Solo Trip

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I was in Disneyland 2.5 weeks ago and spent 7 hours one night (with @lesleywake) and then one 15-hour solo day there, park hopping between DCA and DL. I had the best time but it was exhausting. I will take it easier on this trip considering I am at WDW a lot more than DLR. But I know I'm one of those people who likes to be "go Go GO!" at Disney all the time so I would feel out of place of sorts if I'm not doing something productive at Disney, am I just strange? Haha. I think I just have a serious case of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). But really this only happens when I'm at Disney! :rotfl:

Here's what I'm contemplating (images are from other websites like Disney Parks Blog and Disney Food Blog)

vbcvsfwr-768x432.jpg

1) HEA After Fireworks dessert party. I like the idea of having the desserts after, so I can eat at a more leisurely pace. I am thinking of doing this on Sunday June 10. The fireworks are at 9:15pm every day and the park closes at 10 on Sunday, so I won't really be using up nighttime park hours. If I go on Saturday June 9th, the park closes at 11pm, so then I'd feel rushed to finish dessert quickly so I could do more rides. Is it just me being strange again? LOL.

fimjhdgsw-768x432.jpg

2) Disney Springs - definitely will spend an afternoon, maybe two, here and do some fun shopping! I really want to go to the Disney Style store and to Trend-D and Marketplace Co Op, which are my favorite stores! I want to also have a drink and maybe a snack someplace. I was thinking of trying the frozen wine slushie at either Amorettes or do a wine tasting at Wine Bar George plus an appetizer. Maybe I will have some Poutine as well! The picture above is from the Disney Parks Blog and the Selbach Oster is one of our favorite rieslings!

Charred-Strip-Steak-1-Mama-Melrose-600x400.jpg

3) Table Service as a solo diner - this is my first time as a solo diner at Disney. It is not a big deal to me, as I used to dine by myself all the time when I wasn't working a full time job and Steve was so I'd often go out and eat by myself. This is my first solo meal at Disney though! The only place I've booked so far is Mama Melrose and their only available time was on Saturday at 3pm. An odd time to eat, but I'll make it work, haha. I'm looking forward to trying the strip steak with mac and cheese which everyone raves about, and it's the only dish which really appeals to me there. Everything else sounds like a typical Italian neighborhood restaurant which you find everywhere in NYC so to me it's not terribly unique in terms of food, but the steak and mac and cheese sounds like a nice twist on a steak. What other restaurants do you like dining at solo? I think I'll skip the character meals until September otherwise it'll just be selfies of me with heads of characters, haha. Part of me wants to do something nice and fancy like Monsieur Paul - has anyone been for dinner? I went for lunch for one of the Food and Wine events and we sat in a group setting so it was a different format, but the food was amazing!

4) Some snack items I'd like to try. I feel like instead of meals I'll have better luck snacking. I wish there were more savory snacks, there's only so much ice cream I can eat, and i think I'll get my sweet fix from Dole whips. But anyhoo...

Cheshire Cat Tail - MK
Cat-Tail_Cheshire-Cafe_17-04-700x465.jpg

Has anyone had one of these? I see them popping up in blogs all the time but I haven't actually heard and honest review of it. I looks so nice and flaky but I tend to be disappointed when I eat things that look flaky and crisp and it turns out either soggy or not as I would have envisioned it. It also looks really big, and I don't want to have 2 bites and hate it.

Sweet Chili Shrimp Baked Mac and Cheese - AK
Shrimp-Mac-and-Cheese_Eight-Spoon-Cafe_17-01-700x465.jpg

I've always been curious about this. I'm not sure I'll have a chance to eat this since every time I'm in AK I tend to have Satuli Cantee for a quick service meal, but if I can, I'll see if I can get this as the idea of baked mac n cheese with the sweet chili shrimp seems tasty and unique. I also like how it's a savory snack as I'm definitely more of a salty snack person than sweet.

The Incredibles Pretzel Mask - MK

food1.jpg

Part of the Incredibles Summer they are having in Tomorrowland, I think this is the only thing that appeals to me. They also have other things like crepes with fruit and chocolate, but I think I'd prefer a nutella waffle from Sleepy Hollow over that.

5) New Concerts and Shows

summer-landing-page-gaurdians-16x9.jpg

Epcot - Looks like Guardians of the Galaxy has a live show featuring a band playing hits from Awesome Mixes 1 and 2. Should be a riot and I hope to catch it either Saturday or Sunday. It opens that weekend for the first time. Should be fun to watch with a drink in hand :)

wdw-birds-16x9.jpg

In AK there's that new Up! A Great Bird Adventure show featuring Russel and Dug and I guess the birds from the show before it. Also at AK there is Donald's Dino Bash so that should be a lot of fun. I think among these things I should be able to keep myself busy :)

Also has anyone stayed at Saratoga Springs before? I've only been there once, and that was when we went to the DVC tour and ended up purchasing DVC. We did not tour a Saratoga Springs studio though, as all their "models" were of the Poly, and Copper Creek, and Aulani. I don't really know much about it, except that it's really close to Disney Springs! :)

Here's a picture I found online of the deluxe studio. Excited to stay here for the first time!

thumb_1920x1080_566b6848e0839.jpg

Hope everyone had a great long weekend, if you had the day off, that is. :)

My husband loves the steak and mac and cheese at Mama Melrose. Maybe a better time will open up for you.

AJ from DFB raves about the Cheshire Cat Tail in some of her snack videos. I plan to try it on our next trip, but that won't be until December.

One of my favorite savory snacks is the noodle gratin in Germany at Epcot. I haven't had the shrimp mac and cheese at AK, but when Eight Spoons carried the baked lobster pasta, I tried it, and it was really good. We've always liked whatever we've had from Eight Spoons, but lately we've had trouble finding the cart open.

Really looking forward to your feedback on SSR. We'll be staying in a preferred studio in December, and, like you, SSR will be new to us.

Sounds like you'll have so much fun on this trip. Can't wait to hear what all you end up doing.

Overall, I liked it. I was worried about the beginning because the first bit didn't connect with me. I don't know why, but I wasn't a fan. Maybe that part was the previous director? But once Woody Harrison and Chewbacca showed up (not that it was them in particular, just that's the identifying point), I did like it a lot! Very fun. And Lando was AMAZING! I also loved L3-her hips don't lie!

You know I said the same thing to everyone...the first 30 minutes are not my favorite because I was just trying to connect with the characters, but yes when he meets Chewie and slowly all the pieces start to fit together, and that epic Kessel Run with the adapted John Williams music...that made me really enjoy myself and forget that I was watching "young Han Solo".

I'm sure that cameo at the end was super confusing for you since you haven't seen the tv shows! That character plays a bigger role in the shows (both Clone Wars and Rebels) and his "back" (or middle) story is shown. It was definitely interesting how they took something that was exclusive to the CG shows and brought it full out into the movies and may have larger impacts. I wonder if they will do a Solo sequel or just continue the story in the Boba Fett and Obi Wan movies? Boba is in the tv shows a bit (well Clone Wars; he never made an appearance in Rebels, which I guess makes sense now, Lucasfilm probably knew they were considering these stand-alone movies so didn't include him or Han). Obi Wan is in one episode of Rebels, but that has to do with the Solo cameo character's final demise. (Sorry - trying not to be spoilery for anyone who reads these comments.)

Ah gotcha. I read up about it after the movie, LOL. I dunno about this Boba Fett movie. He's not one of my favorite characters. He's an assassin that can't...assassinate, hahaha. I was wholly disappointed in his characterization in Attack of the Clones, but then again, I don't really do the prequels. That will be kinda cool if they do do a crossover Han Solo and Boba movie just because I think it's fun. Not sure Solo will get a sequel - it didn't do as well as expected. :confused3

Yay for a last minute trip!! A weekend at WDW is always a great weekend!! Sounds like some good plans to start with :)

Thanks! I really need this solo trip!! Well, not NEED but, REALLY WANT it! :laughing:

Just popping in to place hold.
I'm not big on PTRs so much, but will comment occasionally.

Comment away (when you're around)! :thumbsup2

Following along! :wave2:

Hi Raeven!! :wave2:

Barely made first page ........ need to go back to read now.

Sounds like a great plan to me ...... as for the 9th - have you considered doing the Savor, Sip and Sparkle event at the Contemporary? Yummy food, good drinks and a lovely fireworks view. ;)

I was thinking of doing that with Steve on another visit as that is something we can probably enjoy together. I really like the projections so I prefer to watch near the castle in any case. But it does sound fabulous! I wanted to do Highway Dine in the Sky thing but it's not offered while I'm there, and it's also not yet offered past August. :confused3

Following along. I have done two solo trips and quite like them as I can do what I want when I want at my own pace . My husband tolerates Disney and it is hard for my kids ( well young adults ) to join me now so solo is my best bet right now. Enjoy and don’t stress about your planning !

I met you while you were on your solo trip! You were so relaxed yet on a mission. I am totally going to try to emulate that, :D
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Hi! I have read some of your trip reports, but don't think I have commented. I had to join in here as I will have my first solo time at Disney a few days after you 6/13-14. I only have 1 day and an evening after a work conference, but I am excited to just do whatever sounds good. Your plans sound great!

Thanks for reading!! It sounds like the coolest thing for me to have work trips near Disney. I never travel for work anymore and in my old jobs when I did, I didn't travel to Orlando, LOL. Have a great one day in the parks! I did that at DLR 2 weeks ago and it was magical. It definitely felt very rushed but I was so happy I was there, it didn't matter really and you just do what you can :)

Joining in - FINALLY back on the Dis! Can't wait to see how the solo trip goes!

Savory snack idea: Corn dog nuggets at Caseys - my FAVE! Actually, I am not sure if they come in anything but a meal?

First of all, YAY!!!! Solo trips are so much fun and I am sure you are going to have the BEST time!

I know I will! It just seems like a whole wide world is ahead of me and i can pick from so many things to do!

Garden Grill is an awesome character breakfast, you might enjoy checking it out. Do as many character meets as you feel like and enjoy soaking it all in!

I love Garden Grill! That may be an option if I didn't already have morning FP. Also the meal size is huge! I will have a lot of leftovers and that's such a waste to me.

Watching Illuminations then hopping to MK to ride the People Mover sounds like pure perfection to me!

Sigh, that really does. :cloud9:

What about a progressive dinner at the monorail resort bars...... drink/appie.....drink/main.....drink/dessert...... My choice would be Mizners for an appie, the bar at Citricos for a main and the best dessert ever at Tambu!

That definitely sounds like something I'd do if I had more time. I love watching nighttime shows so on this short trip I'll probably be in the parks. And yes the best dessert ever will be at Tambu!!

Following along - I am doing my first solo trip in October. Ten nights. Nirvana.

Thanks for joining!!
Wow 10 nights...that sounds...AMAZING. Hope you have a great trip!

Joining the fun! I’d definitely take advantage of the proximity to Disney Springs. I love snacking and shopping (& ok, drinking) my way around there. I also like doing a self-directed monorail tour doing the same. As I go more frequently, I feel less pressure to do attractions but you may prefer to maximize park time on a short trip. There’s no wrong way, and as a pro I think you really could just go with whatever you feel in the moment. So excited for you!!

Snacking and shopping - got it!! :)
So excited to do both!!

Last minute trips are the best! I'm considering a solo trip this fall myself.

Yay! So many people are. I think it's great time to go plus with Food and Wine, you can make more than a meal from the food kiosks.

Shop, shop, shop 'til your heart's content! Think of all you can do without anyone asking if you're ready to leave. This is exactly why I prefer to shop solo. So many great eating and drinking options is DS, too!

Yes yes yes!! We are on the same track. Maybe you should come with me! :thumbsup2

Caring for Giants or Savor the Savannah both sound like good options to do solo.

Those sound great but I think Steve would want to go as well. So I'll save though for when we're at AK more often .

Another thing I would love to try is the Highway in the Sky Dine Around. You have a great personality and would have no trouble doing that by yourself.

Aww, thank you. I hope I do and I won't bore anyone. :faint:
It's not offered on the weekends I don't think so I won't be able to make it.

I was thinking of that too. We have done it last year and will repeat this summer - unfortunately it is not offered on weekends.

Yup exactly this! Not even offered in Sept either. :sad1:
At least not yet.

I had a few solo hours on my last trip and it was so amazing how much more I could focus. I took the train all the way around MK, I rode the people mover twice and I walked down Main Street and just stood there. I just priced out a solo trip in September. Hmmmm so tempting

That sounds like the perfect solo time. I had the best day ever back in May around Epcot - my favorite park. It was the most perfect day and I was solo for a lot of it. It was great!
Definitely go! I feel like I know more people that go solo on the Disboards, than those that don't!

My husband loves the steak and mac and cheese at Mama Melrose. Maybe a better time will open up for you.
I'll keep checking but to be honest I'm ok with it being at that time, just gives me more time to enjoy Epcot and take my time in getting there without getting rushed.

AJ from DFB raves about the Cheshire Cat Tail in some of her snack videos. I plan to try it on our next trip, but that won't be until December.

I think I will most definitely try one...too bad DH is not here to eat my leftovers! :laughing:

One of my favorite savory snacks is the noodle gratin in Germany at Epcot. I haven't had the shrimp mac and cheese at AK, but when Eight Spoons carried the baked lobster pasta, I tried it, and it was really good. We've always liked whatever we've had from Eight Spoons, but lately we've had trouble finding the cart open.

Oooh Noodle Gratin. I have to check this out too. I do like their giant pretzel. I usually buy one before I leave and snack on it on the plane ride back. Although not sure I'll be at Epcot on my last day. All Eight Spoons baked mac n cheeses sound really good!

Really looking forward to your feedback on SSR. We'll be staying in a preferred studio in December, and, like you, SSR will be new to us.

Cool! I will definitely provide some feedback!

Sounds like you'll have so much fun on this trip. Can't wait to hear what all you end up doing.

Thank you for following along! I'm excited to go with the flow on this trip!

Savory snack idea: Corn dog nuggets at Caseys - my FAVE! Actually, I am not sure if they come in anything but a meal?

Hiiiii! Good to have you back on the DIS!
Excited for my solo trip! There have been great suggestions so far.
I have had Casey's nuggets and they are great! The meal size is huge though, and I'm one of those people who likes variety. I'd rather have a few nuggets instead of a meal, then go get a dole whip float, refill my popcorn bucket, get a cream cheese pretzel, and now, a Cheshire cat tail... :rotfl:

Joining in! Can't wait to read about all your plans

I decided to just stay at a resort room I've always wanted to: Port Orleans Riverside in a Royal Room!

Great choice, I hope to do that room someday!

I'm looking forward to trying the strip steak with mac and cheese

My brother loves that meal!

Has anyone had one of these? I see them popping up in blogs all the time but I haven't actually heard and honest review of it.

I had one on my last trip - it was pretty much like a chocolate croissant with icing. I don't remember it being crispy, but I wouldn't describe it as soggy either. I thought it was worth trying, but probably not something I'd get every trip.

Looks like Guardians of the Galaxy has a live show featuring a band playing hits from Awesome Mixes 1 and 2.

Yessss! I'm looking forward to this too! Hopefully we can meet the characters after the show

A solo trip...how fun! I haven't done a solo trip in years but yours sounds awesome.

SSR is our DVC Home resort so we have stayed there plenty. Really enjoy it there. The proximity to Disney Springs is really nice. I can't speak to the food, as I'd probably be okay just snacking my way around the World. Your options sound fun though.

I leave tomorrow for a short 3-day trip with my oldest son. We are trying to squeeze as much as possible into our trip, including an after-hours DVC event at Typhoon Lagoon. Sounds like we will be spending most of our time there in the rain, but at least it's Disney and we are staying at the Poly which we love.

Great choice, I hope to do that room someday!

I'm really excited to be surrounded by all things princesses!

My brother loves that meal!

That is good to know! I've read such great things about that particular dish.

I had one on my last trip - it was pretty much like a chocolate croissant with icing. I don't remember it being crispy, but I wouldn't describe it as soggy either. I thought it was worth trying, but probably not something I'd get every trip.

OK thanks for your review! I think I will try it just so I could say I tried it!

Yessss! I'm looking forward to this too! Hopefully we can meet the characters after the show

That would be so fun!

A solo trip...how fun! I haven't done a solo trip in years but yours sounds awesome.

Thanks! Really looking forward to it!

SSR is our DVC Home resort so we have stayed there plenty. Really enjoy it there. The proximity to Disney Springs is really nice. I can't speak to the food, as I'd probably be okay just snacking my way around the World. Your options sound fun though.

Oh that's so cool. Are there any room requests I should put in? I don't really know much about the layout but I guess anything convenient would work for me.
It sounds really nice to be so close to Disney Springs. I hope I'll have time to do everything!

I leave tomorrow for a short 3-day trip with my oldest son. We are trying to squeeze as much as possible into our trip, including an after-hours DVC event at Typhoon Lagoon. Sounds like we will be spending most of our time there in the rain, but at least it's Disney and we are staying at the Poly which we love.

Hope you're having a magical time! Love the Poly too!!

Yeah, another trip report! I'm excited to follow along; I love all your reports.

thank you and thanks for following!! :)

I know I'm reading at least two current trip reports right now. Lucky you going for the third. I've never done a solo trip but given the opportunity I'd jump on it. I love snacking so I think most of my meals would be more of that than sit down dinners. Staying at Saratoga Springs is so convenient to Disney Springs for a little shopping any time you like. Have a blast! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Love AJ from Disney food blog! Although I don't always agree with her rankings LOL! Making the LTT pot roast for dinner tonight-she had the recipe on her site.

Snacks-definitely Poutine, or my favorite hangout (outside of a park)-Jock Lindsay's Hangar bar. Server gave us wings a couple visits ago as I've been there so much :rolleyes1. their apps are pretty hardy and the drinks are good and it is a neat place to people watch if you sit outside on the boat (although we want to sit in the diving bell just once-unlucky in timing). Wine Bar George sounds intriguing though too-not helping much here...

Stayed in the studio at SSR last august. eh-it was ok-better for just one or 2 people-there was me and dh and younger two kids. The pools were really nice though. Stayed in Grandstand section closest to pool-also meant the bus stop was pretty much right outside our door. Loved that location as the prefered buildings bus stop always had tons more people, and bus was often full so preferred peeps had to stand. It was a short walk to main pool. I truly don't mind walking around a resort but I know so many that complain about it...

I agree with Teetah. Corn dog nuggets are a great savory snack. To add to it, the ham and cheese croissant sandwich warmed up from les halles is AMAZING.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter