SOLO: A Chunkymonkey Story - June 2018! NEW 8/23 Last SOLO Moments THE END - Final VLOG posted!

Had the Cheshire Cattail last year and really liked it. They had something similar ( or it might have been the same just without the icing) at the EMM breakfast buffet. I may have snuck some in my bag to snack on later .

I tried the shrimp Mac and cheese last month . I liked it. I didn’t have lunch so was starving when I got to the park ! I still couldn’t eat the whole portion . This is one drawback from solo adventures. I feel like I waste s lot of food . I want to try so many different things so don’t finish most in order to have room in my belly for other things .

I want to do the Frozen dessert party but last trip the days it was offered didn’t work for my schedule . I like the idea of the savory items on that menu. Also , ageee with you about the after fireworks party and not wasting park time.

Have you thought about doing a tour ? Or since such a short trip don’t want to use up the time ?

I have done two character meals solo - one was fine (CP breakfast ) and the other slightly awkward ( TH breakfast ). TH wasn’t an awful experience just not the best . For some reason , I am always worried at a buffet that the server will think I ran off or someone will clear my table when I am not done yet since I don’t want to leave my bag at the table when going to the buffet. This hasn’t happened but for some reason always in the back of my mind .

Joining in!

Thanks and :welcome:

A solo trip- how exciting! Your loose plans sound great! You are definitely well prepared for a solo trip after your time alone in Disneyland!

I know! I totally feel like I can do tons of vacations solo now! :laughing:

I know I'm reading at least two current trip reports right now. Lucky you going for the third. I've never done a solo trip but given the opportunity I'd jump on it. I love snacking so I think most of my meals would be more of that than sit down dinners. Staying at Saratoga Springs is so convenient to Disney Springs for a little shopping any time you like. Have a blast! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Oooh thanks for joining! Yay!
I enjoy snacking too, but I realize that I kinda like breaking up a day and having a sit down meal with table service to relax. I wanted to do that in Disneyland but I really just didn't have time to. At least at WDW it's not like I'm there every few years and feel like I need to do everything all at once. Although I will probably end up feeling the same way. :laughing:

Love AJ from Disney food blog! Although I don't always agree with her rankings LOL! Making the LTT pot roast for dinner tonight-she had the recipe on her site.

Oooh sounds delicious! I'm not much of a cook, but if I do, I will definitely want to make Disney meals!

Snacks-definitely Poutine, or my favorite hangout (outside of a park)-Jock Lindsay's Hangar bar. Server gave us wings a couple visits ago as I've been there so much :rolleyes1. their apps are pretty hardy and the drinks are good and it is a neat place to people watch if you sit outside on the boat (although we want to sit in the diving bell just once-unlucky in timing). Wine Bar George sounds intriguing though too-not helping much here...

Yes! Jock Lindsey's! That is a great contender. I really enjoyed the times when I've been there, which has not been often enough. :)
If I go to Wine Bar George I will definitely report back. There's so many good eats in Disney Springs. And we can't forget my ever favorite...Earl of Sandwich!

Stayed in the studio at SSR last august. eh-it was ok-better for just one or 2 people-there was me and dh and younger two kids. The pools were really nice though. Stayed in Grandstand section closest to pool-also meant the bus stop was pretty much right outside our door. Loved that location as the prefered buildings bus stop always had tons more people, and bus was often full so preferred peeps had to stand. It was a short walk to main pool. I truly don't mind walking around a resort but I know so many that complain about it...

Ah good thing it's just me then! I honestly don't know how much time I'll spend in the room but the distance to Disney Springs can't be neat.
Thanks for the tip on the buses! I don't think I booked a preferred room. I'm not sure though, I booked the last available studio category, LOL.

The Cheshire Cat Tail is my favorite snack at MK!!

Oh cool! Another vote for the Cheshire Cat Tail! Think that will be my breakfast on my MK morning...

I agree with Teetah. Corn dog nuggets are a great savory snack. To add to it, the ham and cheese croissant sandwich warmed up from les halles is AMAZING.

I think I've had that sandwich before! I am also partial to the roll with bacon and cheese. :)

Had the Cheshire Cattail last year and really liked it. They had something similar ( or it might have been the same just without the icing) at the EMM breakfast buffet. I may have snuck some in my bag to snack on later .

I think I would prefer no icing, but it just doesn't look as cool, haha. I would totally take stuff on the go with me, but since it'll probably be too hot everything will probably disintegrate in my bag. In Disneyland I brought a disposable take out container and stored food in it. It worked well because it was cool at night so everything was pretty intact.

I tried the shrimp Mac and cheese last month . I liked it. I didn’t have lunch so was starving when I got to the park ! I still couldn’t eat the whole portion . This is one drawback from solo adventures. I feel like I waste s lot of food . I want to try so many different things so don’t finish most in order to have room in my belly for other things .

That's what I think too...so many things to eat, not enough room, LOL. I like trying different things too. Wish Flower and Garden was still going on as those food portions were perfect.

I want to do the Frozen dessert party but last trip the days it was offered didn’t work for my schedule . I like the idea of the savory items on that menu. Also , ageee with you about the after fireworks party and not wasting park time.

I totally want to do this as well for Sept! But it's not yet offered for our dates, not sure why. I'm totally holding out for this though!

Have you thought about doing a tour ? Or since such a short trip don’t want to use up the time ?

Yeah probably not with such a short trip, and also I think Steve would want to do them with me, as I would probably not want to do the same tour twice. :)

I have done two character meals solo - one was fine (CP breakfast ) and the other slightly awkward ( TH breakfast ). TH wasn’t an awful experience just not the best . For some reason , I am always worried at a buffet that the server will think I ran off or someone will clear my table when I am not done yet since I don’t want to leave my bag at the table when going to the buffet. This hasn’t happened but for some reason always in the back of my mind .

Yes, that is my fear with buffets as well, especially solo! I don't want to leave my purse behind but I also don't want it to seem like I'm leaving, haha. Maybe I won't do any character buffets. I wasn't really planning to anyways.

Cool. Did you enjoy? Would probably try and search for it on your TRs, but they are like 742 pages long...

My goodness it's a full time job trying to keep up with your trip reports :rotfl2:

I often wonder if I could do a Disney solo trip and then think "heck yeah, if it meant leaving my kids behind with my husband" :laughing::laughing:

Interested to see what you think of POR and the royal room, that's where we stayed (in a royal room) last year; I loved it, the kids thought it was great and my dh thought it was very 'meh' - men :sad2:

Cool. Did you enjoy? Would probably try and search for it on your TRs, but they are like 742 pages long...

You'd have a hard time searching for it.... considering I haven't written about it yet! :laughing:

I enjoyed it...... A LOT.
The meal was wonderful, the service terrific, the ambiance refined yet not stuffy.

I've enjoyed following your previous trip reports, but have to admit that I've never commented. I couldn't resist this time because our next trip will overlap with yours...and we're staying at Saratoga also. We stayed there a couple years ago, and, despite what everybody else says about it, we actually liked it. Yes, it's large and spread out, but it is PEACEFUL and such a nice place to come home to after chaotic days in the parks. I hope you love it!

My goodness it's a full time job trying to keep up with your trip reports :rotfl2:

Haha, yeah sorry, I am a bit of a Disney junkie, and need to get my fix whenever I can, and when I'm not there I write about being there! :laughing:

I often wonder if I could do a Disney solo trip and then think "heck yeah, if it meant leaving my kids behind with my husband" :laughing::laughing:

Good idea! Let me know if you do that!

Interested to see what you think of POR and the royal room, that's where we stayed (in a royal room) last year; I loved it, the kids thought it was great and my dh thought it was very 'meh' - men :sad2:

Haha my reasons for wanting to stay there! Although its definitely a room Chunkysis would love too. I think Steve would be ok with it, he's surprisingly ok with princesses. Or at least he allows me to drag him to princess meets!

You'd have a hard time searching for it.... considering I haven't written about it yet! :laughing:[/QUOTE]

Well that explains why I'm up to post #3,467 and not one thing about Monsieur Paul! :magnify:

I enjoyed it...... A LOT.
The meal was wonderful, the service terrific, the ambiance refined yet not stuffy.

Sounds like my cup of tea. Still not sure I should do a big meal like that but I'm definitely going to do it once in the next year...

That’s on my list to try in November :lovestruc

It's a great breakfast :thumbsup2

I've enjoyed following your previous trip reports, but have to admit that I've never commented. I couldn't resist this time because our next trip will overlap with yours...and we're staying at Saratoga also. We stayed there a couple years ago, and, despite what everybody else says about it, we actually liked it. Yes, it's large and spread out, but it is PEACEFUL and such a nice place to come home to after chaotic days in the parks. I hope you love it!

Hi!! Thanks for commenting and reading!! :thanks:
Oh that's so cool you'll be there and at SS as well! Please say hi if you see me!
I'm sure I will love it. I haven't actually met a Disney resort I did not love. :love:

Joining in! I haven't done this yet but plan to on my next trip and your proximity to Disney Springs makes it perfect but what about The Void experience?? It has pretty great reviews! Im not even that big of a Star Wars fan and Im excited to go!

Joining in! I haven't done this yet but plan to on my next trip and your proximity to Disney Springs makes it perfect but what about The Void experience?? It has pretty great reviews! Im not even that big of a Star Wars fan and Im excited to go!

Hi there and :welcome:!
I have done The Void before! My DH and I did this back in December, it was really fun. I recommend it for everyone even non star-wars fans, just because the whole experience is so cool. Hope you enjoy!

Not a big meal. A very good one, though.

Thanks for the rec! I'll have to weave it into my plans...

LOVE this! I'm dying to do a solo trip and yours looks like it's shaping up to be picture-perfect! A little bit of structure, a little bit of freedom...

I don't eat seafood so I can't speak to that particular mac and cheese but I had the pulled pork option when I was there in May and it was heavenly. I also love the egg rolls and fried rice from Yak and Yeti at AK for a savory snack! But I'm with you on the serious lack of savory snack options...It's all ice cream and sweet treats! (Don't get me wrong, I love ice cream. But you're totally right in that there's only so much one can eat :rotfl:)

I saw some interesting loaded tots at Friar's Nook in MK that could be a good snack! I didn't try any because I wasn't particularly hungry at the time but they sounded yummy :)

I'm excited to see what you decide to do!

LOVE this! I'm dying to do a solo trip and yours looks like it's shaping up to be picture-perfect! A little bit of structure, a little bit of freedom...

Thanks! I've always wanted to do one! It seemed like the perfect time. :)

I don't eat seafood so I can't speak to that particular mac and cheese but I had the pulled pork option when I was there in May and it was heavenly. I also love the egg rolls and fried rice from Yak and Yeti at AK for a savory snack! But I'm with you on the serious lack of savory snack options...It's all ice cream and sweet treats! (Don't get me wrong, I love ice cream. But you're totally right in that there's only so much one can eat :rotfl:)

Ah that's good. I've heard great things about that mac and cheese!
Egg rolls and fried rice sound like a great snack too! I think there is a huge dearth of savory snack options...but plenty of sweet ones. I'll try and balance them out, LOL.

I saw some interesting loaded tots at Friar's Nook in MK that could be a good snack! I didn't try any because I wasn't particularly hungry at the time but they sounded yummy :)

Yum! That may be an option, I will look into that!

I'm excited to see what you decide to do!

Haha you and me both!

Shrimp-Mac-and-Cheese_Eight-Spoon-Cafe_17-01-700x465.jpg
My very favorite "snack" possibly? in ALL of WDW right now. YUM!

PTR Update 5/31

OK I've tightened up my plans just a bit and gave myself even more options, LOL.

June 8th: Arrival at MCO late at night, ME to Port Orleans Riverside. I'll probably eat something in the airport for dinner, if not, I usually have one of those instant ramen cups that I travel with which would make a good late late meal if I'm hungry. I declined magic bands for the trip and did online check-in so hopefully that means I can go straight to my room, although I will probably have no idea where my room is so perhaps a stop at the desk would be worth it. :rotfl:

June 9th: Lazy morning - wake up and walk to POFQ to grab coffee and beignets. Take a walk around Riverside as it'll be my first time there. I'll check out of Riverside and have them transfer my luggage to Saratoga Springs. I booked late morning FP+ for Epcot (SE, LWTL and TT Update: Soarin'). I'll hop over to DHS as I have a late lunch ADR at Mama Melrose around 3pm. I heard though that the friendship boats are NOT running to DHS during my days, so it's either I walk or take a bus. I think it'll depend on where I am at that time of day, I would prefer to go out the International Gateway, but I guess it won't really matter. After DHS, perhaps I can do a few rides there, if I can get another FP or maybe I can do single rider for RnRC. If not then I will head back to Epcot to catch the 6:45 show of the GoTG Awesome Mix concert. Perhaps I will catch Illuminations at 9pm. I will grab a quick service dinner, and perhaps a grey goose slushie or avocado margarita. Not sure where I will have dinner though. I am contemplating heading over to MK to do some rides before it closes at 11pm. I think this will just depend on how tired I am but I will be ok with not going and just hopping on a bus after Illuminations to Disney Springs - maybe a late drink at a bar, some shopping, and then head to Saratoga Springs from there, hopefully I can figure out where my room will be.

Sometime during the day I'll be heading to the DVC member lounge in Epcot! Yay!

fTmQAYluebrZe5JZR9Ch8JhIj0-4zRSHaVbV3xVXofi2JWCMyRJDSDNOVWBZaFv-mqPN3EB-b_oJOXSAqY2IPzQzFDjPXOF9O62um37HpgSVu37qHbVmCz_sq2-wnxi4m375T_GsWU3u3JB0M4XLfGfy2uQUn4SIAQ5IHaf95KLh5JlcEniTuwti9_vc8REhikwnoeCvNKeNoNh3HpZ_OeCwLcRbNyuRngBpqgY5Ad17t0ZQHn6r-EGxrGzR3KTagJg5sblTfIQCCNmGG5cWwsL6l8jRXH0Xy7XN-LxoC3LOy_9U7DnG81RlFuMnNjmH-tql9VjnpO1zT788eSkMFR4ayMz6ouWzSvzxG2YQxK_rh9BhVsu1PP_LQOY9akinIfhGfLIoY9WVdjQkSu0Aa-2v4a2IJOLRmW_ZSgmIeq3kppLE7xvGfvHIbg9tCadZbrrt3VcUV2NjGnAsUW6bZHMkqR38KgkFIeMayZ30iVFLZfKjX0FSAlfZM45Zb4SnpAXJQCD7GorY_0ZkcINBuwI1wtJkc4C-bbrCGQjPncBV1XwWhbOh_T2BIPWD09TLBXlV0sqMRenqcljal6ZlI-7d-nA0dP8hOWuLrZeE=w554-h415-no

DVC Member Lounge in Epcot

June 10th: Morning FP+ at DHS (VoTLM and TSM, didn't make a 3rd one as nothing appealed to me at any other time). Ideally I'd like to have lunch at Mama Melrose today but there were no ADRs I could find that were around lunch time so I put it down in the TP reservation finder. If I can't find anything...I'm thinking of hopping over to AK. I can probably watch FoTLK, do some Donald's Dinobash meet n greets, and watch the Up! Birds show. I am thinking that this is a good plan. That way, I can definitely have lunch at Satuli! I will probably have the kids sized chicken bowl, a night blossom, and then a little later I can have my snack of shrimp mac and cheese! Also, a drink at Nomad Lounge sounds good, especially when it gets too hot.

MvoJuuPJ0GvHi8Am4tZ5WXETQmj93M2RxZACRAOludye5UwL1Q0dnxqSyZknKYlp7b2CDbn_l7wdPSkWd9p01gkxx7ptiZnWh7c1kxm77KUwHgtuGTsXbFyib05jUnournJUm_nZhSbHdHvY8VNoHAWsFY9bVWJ3X_-DO1Q9CDpKqUR6B0XJcbt1SLkcWJzMi_gSLhXM5N_Q6CXUozZYEsxWJ6exyMtKnn4URmmy90nAP-8dNtC6MkhZrr0NFBhuloH1YVkZ3CLC9kKs2n83w6befWV-wEC8KUKXJDnHwTL97AXqk1mJVnT66CCxx2jffcQZKV_D4IUzSBgxmHmK6OCvt5haISLIz1qjLrc4et__6u_I-QjytWXe82Wz2Z0WZqMfaLYvX-MjowRJvQ8zv4XnHDQXRJRC3_fburEuoYt6sf_Z7gvsH-nnLqHJHA35zIZsMmesAOWhT9c_zHfRJIktPgNZYOtPjt75fv90yDJpvvxv41aMINLVfUD6_JnT8VmissEq5OglYBC0ltVjdz7HzLzPC4S5GCwpb2RxhB129E-VBkN0pZ3f21ObSUYdmhI-nImrS5VCwtXEEwyViHAV_7EmtLk_MYGQJuSE=w382-h508-no

Night Blossom in AK

It's either I go to AK or Disney Springs, I think it's whatever I feel like doing. If I head to Disney Springs, I will grab some lunch/snacks/drinks there. Jock Lindsey's, Wine Bar George, some poutine, or Earl of Sandwich all sound good to me. :thumbsup2

I think I may head over to one of the monorail resorts in the early evening. If I'm hungry I will probably head to one of the bars, maybe Trader Sams or Tambu, or Mizner's as some of you have recommended. I was thinking of getting some Ohana Bread pudding at Tambu, but not so sure because that evening, I have a reservation for:

XrVx2cahGhdSLMdnrOY-meEcp1nO46irj3dQj8oBEWEgIVmYfFSThv-FlRJ6_xNcEHIBVwOryAU56YEZbL9gJMIVrD7ThadqogdQgjCQ8j9iHAo1ZnsyMbYpk3btYvoVIMscHD6Qry_fAKBHZHzXCOqVhmnZD6stDc8xEqJlob00nCiw-PmqMJsR7AfUIykLYx7FPC6vrBxU1bIO1XzG1HgrZSptKjhFBcUewvPiK58oTTFNxyUcTRZlMmqQWG0gODMGgME9dqA0pRLlVdnQ_JX3zDVon7-XN5el4ogMGa9P_Gw9DrrHK-p51NZNayPuEE2hiYAQcij8vFa1Drx0aKGilbwlo4pGNnpFKHaMWOZUW9OelllELdv2UZm1rcuGKJDOnSQHYFUp6yHAzKovP_-kih8_pxvJSJHPkjFCqy_5V_lz3QWIvwQw46jpBnU3JOGE22cED5rR6meLT4Isy9ItjxLMwKyg0m_AUwXE2EWe2JY_Wv6af7Ugfu3SxkFK5XlP1ZhteWI06hxj8iLpAAKQ_O1LK-X1-znUSiLA2pjPIOFYm2zwSY6CKzqdcpSjBSUvRG0b1XjljLpjwwLpNZFeWixACoLOJJnc7dPj=w632-h474-no

Happy Ever After - After Fireworks Party

The viewing area in the plaza garden opens at 8:15pm. I don't need the best view, just a GOOD view, so I may just stroll in later after a few rounds on the Peoplemover. I have done the pre-fireworks party before, and although we didn't have a great experience, I think it was because HEA just premiered that week and everyone rushed to book the party and the desserts were slow to replenish. I have heard much better things since then. Also there has been different opinions on whether to do the dessert before or after the fireworks, with some recent reviews claiming doing dessert after the show as "moronic" - but technically the show will be over at around 9:40pm and the park closes at 10pm so technically it's more "moronic" to waste park time before the show, right? :confused: Just my opinion. We have 1 hour for dessert which I think is way more than enough time for me. In addition to dessert there are also egg rolls, spinach artichoke dip, and fruit n cheese, so I get to have a nice late supper too :). Do you think I can watch the Kiss Goodnight from the Tomorrowland Terrace area?

June 11th: My flight doesn't leave until 9pm which leaves me a good deal of the day in a park. I have morning FP+ at MK (BTMRR, Haunted Mansion, and Pirates). Hoping to grab either a Cheshire cat tail or a nutella waffle sandwich for breakfast. I'll see what else I can do at MK and most likely a Dismeet with @Monykalyn! In the afternoon I will head to whatever park I feel like. If I didn't hit AK up yet I will do so just to check out the new stuff - the Up! show and Donald's Dino bash, oh and go to Satuli if I haven't been yet. If I already went to AK the day before then perhaps I'll go to Disney springs for some last minute shopping and food then head back to Saratoga Springs to await ME to the airport.

Maybe I will give myself a side quest or something: Go find all the photobooths! I had fun doing this before, and I love how it can be added to your memory maker. If you know any locations let me know! I know there's the one on Boardwalk, one in Space Mountain, Test Track too. Example below, may have been from the Boardwalk booth:

ptZTZ5o1oIPB6wgFPUW2_aj-C60c6B7sVEtQB1xDSlD0tLKxv5QLrWJDvK0i09TAXS8Kgrxrpz41r8iaoYLp2iWbtD3zV9gOjnhjUkAAEs9ThMObp8Hl0TETiN7LAexSeTxzrATxMiiJxVTEykeoNWa21BC8NRHa6SXYmAGoynOYvhEK3zAd26oeNi6kfKM5JXO-Oz4EWBaATkwWgwfy6aywW4znJg3yJrUuIoqos24GPbhFUdYxD23n9zoJ4WXLGlm8PqT0relh7GoiHYY5sfXGQty4U-Twoo2kjrLvXjUl84Zu0Jt1aT7MTDE_sbeOFCKh_tKG7D4Eu8Q4DEhzKsfJMWuU__umrRzfvXaERfQEvna05pqLobPgV2vQyIFkReCs1llKRgK9elz6Wla9QTuO_Qx56Yc5yPwhlVXiMldX1ulQ9FwxHEEOgOc-X_p4SP18AWaU2-ionjcOPULhJYPVS1QaRmd1cDw9wH37j-WAHR67TxiaBioeGttDc0QDQZSG2o25469lQyANERSobhY8loh7RanVFcySklzLpZJDy7lfY233PcjlpqFxs2-y0iNzakN2QXMCnfIw0MEiEjw5iO4l2_XKLKbTwt3b=w787-h524-no

That's all for now! :)

Disney Springs for certain! Take the time to shop all you want! Solo trips are perfect for spending more time on those things that your travel partners are usually less interested in. For example, on my mini-solo trip last year I did more character interactions since my DH is usually not interested and only willing to wait around for me to do a few of them. I also rode Star Tours several times in a row (he's not big on repeats and gets a bit motion sick on simulators). I went on it's a Small World, so I could enjoy the nostalgia without him being bored brainless. Are there any foods that you love that he (your hubby) doesn't care for? Find a restaurant that specializes in that and go indulge. (My hubby is allergic to shellfish so when I am without him and going out I almost always go for shrimp or lobster).

Tinker_bell_sininho.jpg

Have fun! I can't wait to see your Post-Trip report!

Last edited:
In AK there's that new Up! A Great Bird Adventure show featuring Russel and Dug and I guess the birds from the show before it. Also at AK there is Donald's Dino Bash so that should be a lot of fun. I think among these things I should be able to keep myself busy :)

OMG! My hubby and I love Up! and I was not aware of this! Totally adding it to my September itinerary! :-)

Go find all the photobooths! I had fun doing this before, and I love how it can be added to your memory maker. If you know any locations let me know! I know there's the one on Boardwalk, one in Space Mountain, Test Track too. Example below, may have been from the Boardwalk booth:

I know there was one at the dump shop of figment :lovestruc your plans seem awesome and I like how you do backup plans depending on what you think you will feel like at the moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter