• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed Solo much more than I expected to. That being said I don't think that it's overly political. The Star Wars narrative has always been the resistance fighting evil. Always. I think that some people just feel that it is more relevant to our current climate and perhaps are personalizing it more than they have in the past.

Alienating white males by having strong female characters = making a quota...wow...gotta admit I'm a little taken aback by this viewpoint. If the movies aren't doing well for this reason than I think it reflects more poorly on the fan base than it does on Disney/LucasFilms...

Honestly, society is very different in 2015-2018 then it was in 1977-1983...thank goodness...representation matters and I for one am glad that they have taken steps to include more diversity among the characters/cast. Perhaps the 1977 fan base was primarily white males...you know all us women were at home raising the children and doing the laundry and couldn't head to the movies...but that certainly is no longer the case. History may be told/written from the viewpoint of white males, but that doesn't mean that current storytelling needs to be. The idea that only white male jedi are or could be important to the story line seems pretty misguided to me.

My point is ... create good characters .. dont just fill a quota because you have an agenda to make Star Wars (a FICTIONAL world).

Leia was a very strong character despite being in a movie from the 70s. I liked Rey as a lead, though I feel she is too much a Mary Sue.. I liked Jyn and I really like Ahsoka Tano from the Clone Wars TV shows.

But Last Jedi feels forced ... primarily in the character of Holdo and in Rose - go on a pointless mission (that creates a giant plothole) to say how bad capitalism is).

The fact remains that Lucasfilm purposely felt they needed to market Star Wars to females (creating Forces of Destiny doll line, having every movie have a lead female, etc.) .. so thus it becomes an agenda rather than just trying to tell a good story.

I put it firmly in the middle of the existing films. Not my favorite but far from the worst

That was my sentiment exactly. We saw the first screening available last week and when people were texting me about how it was I said "It won't be in my top 3 SW movies, but it won't be in my bottom 3 either". I thought it was very entertaining, had some great performances (Donald Glover was awesome), but didn't have anything crazy that trounced on the stories we already knew. Definitely setup for a Solo 2 if they want (which may be cool to see some of the smuggling stories and interactions with Jabba).

My point is ... create good characters .. dont just fill a quota because you have an agenda to make Star Wars (a FICTIONAL world).

Leia was a very strong character despite being in a movie from the 70s. I liked Rey as a lead, though I feel she is too much a Mary Sue.. I liked Jyn and I really like Ahsoka Tano from the Clone Wars TV shows.

But Last Jedi feels forced ... primarily in the character of Holdo and in Rose - go on a pointless mission (that creates a giant plothole) to say how bad capitalism is).

The fact remains that Lucasfilm purposely felt they needed to market Star Wars to females (creating Forces of Destiny doll line, having every movie have a lead female, etc.) .. so thus it becomes an agenda rather than just trying to tell a good story.

I didn't like Holdo...at all, so we agree there. As for Rose and the pointless mission - I didn't view it that way, but we can agree to disagree. They needed to "light the spark" or help those being persecuted by the first order regain the hope that will form the new resistance (cause there aren't many of them left by the end of the movie)...they also wanted to show the difference between those profiting and those suffering from the war...it's the reality of capitalism, not necessarily a critique...though if someone can recognize it as a critique then perhaps they can recognize there are consequences of capitalism...whether those consequences are good or bad depends on which perspective you're viewing them from....which is also probably the point.

Last edited:
Finally saw it. It was good. Not my favorite Star Wars film but good. I thought the casting was well done. It definitely set it up for another film after it if they chose.

But, did you enjoy it without social media prejudice? I had to, absolve myself, moments before the opening. Glad you saw it and look forward to your insights.

Ron Howard just made a great Han Solo joke in episode 3 of the new arrested development season

It was a bad Friday for Solo. It may fall 70% which is unfathomable. I thought it may lose less than 50% after people get over the opening week anger.

It was a bad Friday for Solo. It may fall 70% which is unfathomable. I thought it may lose less than 50% after people get over the opening week anger.
I almost went yesterday. I checked seats at the 7:00 show (there were many available) but I just can’t do it.

The is the 2nd Star Wars I won’t see in the theater (I was born in 1976 so my first movie was Empire Strikes Back).

I have seen every Star Wars movie since I was an adult (phantom menace being the first) at least 10 times in the theater until the last Jedi. But I have to stick with the boycott. Star Wars’ future is at stake and we must win.

I'm not boycotting anything but I just can't muster up the interest. I never thought that would happen. I still see most of the Marvel movies though. I'm not totally sure why but it feels different.

Just saw this tonight. It was a great movie, and if you're a Star Wars fan I'm not sure why you would avoid it in the theater.

There were some minor gripes with the film, but overall it was enjoyable and tied in well with the rest of the movies. I probably won't see it again in the theater, but glad I went at least once.

Saw it tonight. Kind of a frustrating movie. Felt like it was close to great but never got past ok. Enjoyed it, someone in the thread already said it and will agree it needed more down time with a more get to know everyone. The kid who played Han was great never felt he was trying to be Harrison Ford and I liked him off the bat. Although the way he got his name was cringe worthy.

Kinda sad that it's doing so bad, wouldn't mind a sequel with this cast. Which is weird for me because I want Star Wars to go way past the current cycle. But I really enjoyed the chemistry of this group. Think Ron Howard needed more time to flesh the story out.

Last thought. If we are going to keep doing the back stories, could we get a complete Wookie story with all subtitles.

While I would love a cookie movie I think this is exactly why it won't happen.

Well they could do the Hunt for Red October trick were they start talking Russian then zoom in on the lips and the magically speak English. However if I heard a Wookie speak English in a Star Wars movie I might just ask for a refund.

I'm not boycotting anything but I just can't muster up the interest. I never thought that would happen. I still see most of the Marvel movies though. I'm not totally sure why but it feels different.

This is it in a nutshell for me as well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter