Solo dining

suevee

<font color=red>I am in a frenzy!<br><font color=r
Planning a solo trip in February. So which restaurants would you pick?

Any. Wherever you want to eat. Biergarten and Teppan Edo, you will be seated with others. Counter Service, you seat yourself. Anywhere else, you get your own table.

I've eaten everywhere from Earl of Sandwich, to Cinderella's Royal Table, to California Grill.

I've been to a third of the restaurants at WDW and my opinion is to pick somewhere you've never been and don't pick somewhere you've been before unless it's something you really like a lot. Definitely don't go back to the same place just because say you like fried chicken - maybe find another place you haven't been that serves it.

I would say go somewhere hard to get into with a larger party since you only need a table for one! If you want specific recommendations, let us know what your preferences are since there is a wide variety of restaurants!

Anywhere i want. I've done solo at Citricos, California Grill, Flying Fish, Chef de France, Artist Point.
If you normally go with a group, I would pick some place that you want to go, that they don't.

Sci-Fi is good, because of the video playing. I actually managed to watch nearly the whole video loop when I went by myself, as no one but the waiter was trying to talk to me.

On my recent solo trip I had may great meals, but the one at Citricos really stands out. I was seated near the open kitchen and the Chef really took an interest in my and my enjoyment of the dining experience... she was great, checking on me often, and even provided a special little after dinner treat to ensure my experience was special and memorable.

Anywhere you want to! That's the best part of my solo trips. DH and DD are not adventurous eaters, so my first solo trip I tried out several places they wouldn't like. I discovered Sanaa and Via Napoli on that trip and somehow those two restaurants are now DD's favorites. I loved Boma, but felt a little weird dining alone. I made sure to leave something behind every trip to the buffet (sunglasses, even my bag) so they didn't clear my table, and I did inform my server when I was finished. I love Satuli Canteen at AK - DD still won't step foot in there. CHH is another one I like that my family doesn't. So many options!

Anywhere you want to! That's the best part of my solo trips. DH and DD are not adventurous eaters, so my first solo trip I tried out several places they wouldn't like. I discovered Sanaa and Via Napoli on that trip and somehow those two restaurants are now DD's favorites. I loved Boma, but felt a little weird dining alone. I made sure to leave something behind every trip to the buffet (sunglasses, even my bag) so they didn't clear my table, and I did inform my server when I was finished. I love Satuli Canteen at AK - DD still won't step foot in there. CHH is another one I like that my family doesn't. So many options!
This is me too. My family is not thrilled about Boma but I love it. It is the one restaurant that I make an ADR for on my solo trips. And then I just eat wherever else I feel like it.

I agree with @Dawn68PA, I love to grab a snack or meal in one of the various lounges or bars. You don't need a reservation and can have a little interaction, IF you want it ... or not, if you don’t. In the parks, favorites are Nomad Lounge in Animal Kingdom or Yak and Yeti has a small bar as well. In Epcot, love Tutto Gusto wine cellar or La Cava de Tequila (snacks only - chips and guac or queso and very small - not always tables). In Hollywood Studios the Brown Derby lounge is great or if you can snag a seat at the bar at 50s Primetime that can be fun too - albeit sometimes hectic as it's basically the waiting area for the restaurant as well.

One of my favorite things to do solo is a self-designed "crawl" either around the monorail resorts or Disney Springs. So many great bars/lounges.

Flying Fish is probably my favorite place to "belly up to the bar" - the bartenders are phenomenal, place is beautiful and food delicious.

Have fun!!

Last edited:
I've eaten lots of solo meals at WDW. I avoid communal tables now, because the last time, I got seated next to someone who refused to speak to me. It was obvious that she was in a real unfriendly mood. And unfortunately, I was on the end of the table, and the restaurant was loud, so I had no one else to talk to. At the end of the meal, I don't know which one of us was more anxious to leave. That's when I decided I'd rather be alone than wish I was. As a PP suggested, Sci-Fi is a great choice. Also, surprisingly, I love character meals, even though I don't choose to visit with the characters. But watching them interact with families, the looks on kids' faces when they see the chief character for the first time...Priceless!! Chefs de France is great if you can get a window table. I also enjoy lunch at Rose and Crown, sitting on the patio, watching the boats go by.

Anyone that you peak your interest. I have eaten solo at many of the restaurant at WDW. Maybe pick a restaurant that you don't do when traveling with others because they don't like that type of food.

Eating at the bar is also a excellent suggestion, esp. if you are a people person.

Thanks to all the replies. I am still trying to decide. I find planning for a group is easier than planning for one person. With a group I have a basic idea what would appeal to a majority, by myself I keep changing my mind.:rotfl:

Choose whatever looks good to you! Previous posters all have great ideas.
One thing to keep in mind when you make reservations,
There are a couple of restaurants that will show no availability, but if you search for 2 instead of 1,
there is availability... When you check in, tell them it is just you, and they will still seat you.
If it is not a prepaid thing (like CRT), you will not have to worry about paying for two, or paying the no show fee (you are there, checking in).

If it is a prepaid thing, you can ask for a refund of the second person, but they are not obligated to give you a refund.
Every time I have asked - they have...but don't expect it.

I will echo one poster - Biergarten is a good choice if you want to sit with and meet new people.
A couple trips ago, I was seated with a family who lived about 25 miles from home!
We didn't know each other, but were friends of friends - small World!

Eating at the bar is also a excellent suggestion, esp. if you are a people person.

Last time I ate at the bar, the chef was trying out a new salad, so she gave me one to try. Kinda neat-it's on the menu now.

The advice you've received is excellent. So, rather than offering such, I'll actually give you a short list of places that I enjoy. If any of these speak to you, great. pirate:

Sanaa - The bread service is one of the best items on any menu at any Disney restaurant. That, a very good wine and drink selection, and the opportunity to view animals while dining make this a top pick.
Geyser Point - To be fair, I think the suits who thought up the concept didn't think it through--it's now a hybrid sort of place that's not quite a bar/lounge and not quite a TS. Weird. That being said, it's lovely, has very good drinks, and the views superb. You can even watch part of the MK fireworks and hear piped in music there at night.
Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar - No ADRs accepted, but if you go early before lunch or dinner hours, you can get in and likely get a seat in their casual "couch" room. It's small, cozy, and a great place not only for watching people but to enjoy some good Italian wines, antipasto, pasta, and other small plates.
CA Grill Brunch - If you're there over a Sunday, this is a stunning venue. Not only do you get views of the Castle, but the service and food are topnotch. I recently heard, though have not confirmed, that the Bloody Mary bar is now included in the price of the brunch. It's expensive, and it can be difficult to snag, but it's well worth the effort.
Kimonos - If you like sushi, it's the place to go at Disney. Modern vibe, lots of hotel guests in for conferences, but not loud or obnoxious.
Ragland Road - Want to be entertained? This is a great place, and the food is largely good, as well.
Morimoto - Bustling, vibrant, modern decor, and with plenty of good food and drink. If you go at dinner, I highly recommend the buri bop served table side.
Boathouse - There are tables outside if the weather is decent, so the views will be excellent. Also, their appetizers are mostly winners. Carpaccio? Double yum. Try it with a Brut.

As others said, I'd try places that aren't on your usual "shopping" list, but these above are places I believe you'd enjoy not only the food but the ambiance, as well.

I have eaten at almost every style restaurant as a solo diner on all my solo vacations with the exceptions of ones where it is community seating, like Biergarten and Teppan Edo. But I have done every character meal and signature and non-sig alike, and even Victoria and Albert's.

And I prefer having a table to myself but yes, they will ALWAYS offer you a bar seat as a solo diner, it's the first thing they say. I tell them, 'No thank you, I prefer a table, that's why I made a reservation'. But if it's a bar seat you want, they'll be more than happy to shoe-horn you off over there if you let them. Never. I want the full dining experience in comfortable seating and with a view that doesn't include counting how many beer bottles on the wall.

There's lots of other solo diner, and solo vacationers, more than you think. Never let anything stop you from having the same great time that the groups are having. Pick whichever restaurants appeal to you. It really has nothing to do with you being a solo diner, whether or not you'd have a great time at them. So I would tell you to go to the same places I would tell anyone, solo or large groups.

My own particular favorites include California Grill, Coral Reef, Skipper Canteen, Monsieur Paul, Rose and Crown, Sci-fi Dine in, Crystal Palace, and many more. SOme have more immersive themes and will give you more to look at and marvel at, which can be nice as a solo diner, like for instance, Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex - I do those, but I am also perfectly happy as a solo diner in a very quiet, elegant setting like Monsieur Paul or Victoria and Albert's.

SO, really, do whatever appeals to you the most food and atmosphere wise from browsing the web pages for them and of course sites like these. There are many wonderful choices.

I am also doing a solo trip in February. I am eating at the following:
Yachtsman
California Grill Brunch
Monsieur Paul
Yak & Yeti
Tiffins
Jiko
Sanna
Boma (breakfast)
Boathouse
Frontera Cocina
Narcoosees
Brown Derby

Many of these are new to me and ones my family wouldn’t want to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter