Solo dining

I have eaten at almost every style restaurant as a solo diner on all my solo vacations with the exceptions of ones where it is community seating, like Biergarten and Teppan Edo. But I have done every character meal and signature and non-sig alike, and even Victoria and Albert's.

And I prefer having a table to myself but yes, they will ALWAYS offer you a bar seat as a solo diner, it's the first thing they say. I tell them, 'No thank you, I prefer a table, that's why I made a reservation'. But if it's a bar seat you want, they'll be more than happy to shoe-horn you off over there if you let them. Never. I want the full dining experience in comfortable seating and with a view that doesn't include counting how many beer bottles on the wall.

There's lots of other solo diner, and solo vacationers, more than you think. Never let anything stop you from having the same great time that the groups are having. Pick whichever restaurants appeal to you. It really has nothing to do with you being a solo diner, whether or not you'd have a great time at them. So I would tell you to go to the same places I would tell anyone, solo or large groups.

My own particular favorites include California Grill, Coral Reef, Skipper Canteen, Monsieur Paul, Rose and Crown, Sci-fi Dine in, Crystal Palace, and many more. SOme have more immersive themes and will give you more to look at and marvel at, which can be nice as a solo diner, like for instance, Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex - I do those, but I am also perfectly happy as a solo diner in a very quiet, elegant setting like Monsieur Paul or Victoria and Albert's.

SO, really, do whatever appeals to you the most food and atmosphere wise from browsing the web pages for them and of course sites like these. There are many wonderful choices.
That is weird because I have never been asked if I wanted to sit at the bar. They always just sit me ar a table. Maybe because you are a guy. I am a middle aged woman. Most of the bars are walk up first come so you do not need a reservation for them. I have sat at the bar at Morimotos and Yak and Yeti, only because I had no reservation and the wait was long.

I am also doing a solo trip in February. I am eating at the following:
Yachtsman
California Grill Brunch
Monsieur Paul
Yak & Yeti
Tiffins
Jiko
Sanna
Boma (breakfast)
Boathouse
Frontera Cocina
Narcoosees
Brown Derby

Many of these are new to me and ones my family wouldn’t want to try.

My birthday is in February, with that awesome lineup, I'll meet you there!:)

P.S. I'd sub the Yak & Yeti with Satu'lis Canteen in Pandora!

I’m traveling January 31-February 4 and am finally braving my fear of doing character dining alone. I reaaaaaally want to do California Grill brunch. I had it booked when the trip was for two and a few weeks earlier. Haven’t found an opening since I had to make changes.

I’ve done other types of dining solo and had no difficulties. It was quite great.

This trip I’ll be eating:
Artist Point (Snow White dinner)
50s PrimeTime dinner
Akershus dinner
Boatwright’s
Homecomin lunch
Tiffins lunch
Various quick service locations

My birthday is in February, with that awesome lineup, I'll meet you there!:)

P.S. I'd sub the Yak & Yeti with Satu'lis Canteen in Pandora!
Sure join me why not since it is your birthday!!

I haven't been since Pandora is open. Is Satulis Canteen a QS or a TS?

Sure join me why not since it is your birthday!!

I haven't been since Pandora is open. Is Satulis Canteen a QS or a TS?
QS, and you can order online as well. Frankly it's one of the better QS and better than some of the TS restaurants. We sat inside this summer, it was so hot but they have a nice outside seating area that would be good in February.

I'm alone until my family arrives for our five-day Thanksgiving trip, so I'm hitting Disney Springs for light lunch + cocktails and dinner at Flying Fish. I can't wait.

When I dined solo at Jiko three years ago, the server offered to sit me at the Eating Place aka the counter by the kitchen. Turned out to be a delight: one of the chefs kept talking to me and slipping me samples.

QS, and you can order online as well. Frankly it's one of the better QS and better than some of the TS restaurants. We sat inside this summer, it was so hot but they have a nice outside seating area that would be good in February.
I am utilizing DLXDP, so I think sticking with Yak & Yeti is a better option for me. I will keep it in mind for other trips though!

That is weird because I have never been asked if I wanted to sit at the bar. They always just sit me ar a table. Maybe because you are a guy. I am a middle aged woman. Most of the bars are walk up first come so you do not need a reservation for them. I have sat at the bar at Morimotos and Yak and Yeti, only because I had no reservation and the wait was long.

Oh, how interesting! I hate that they always ask to sit me at the bar, even though I always assume they have been all told they MUST ask all solo diners that, I now know that can't be true if they never have asked you. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, and perhaps they truly want to be helpful in making my dining experience more sociable and therefore more enjoyable, but I can't help but always feel it's at least partly (if not mostly) because they are hoping they don't have to waste a whole table on a solo diner when they could use it for a larger party. So, I don't appreciate being asked because it has the effect of making me feel guilty for wanting to use a whole table on little old me - again, I know I shouldn't be so sensitive and worry about it, but it does make me feel that way. And as you say, you don't need a reservation to sit at bars, so really why would a patron go to the trouble of making a dining reservation 180 days out at a Walt Disney World eatery if they only wanted to sit at the bar? It doesn't seem likely most would. If it was a normal restaurant, I might actually believe they are being considerate by asking me if I want to sit at the bar, but because it's Disney and they want to move everyone along and fit in as much business as possible, I feel it is more likely they are trying to maximize space by shuffling off solo diners to the bar. So to me, I feel it's a rude question to ask a solo diner - if a solo diner wanted to sit at a bar, they would bring it up to the host, the host bringing it up has the unintentional effect of emphasizing that we are just a party of 1. Just my own perspective and I'll admit to being a little weird about it.

And as it turns out, I really would hate to sit at the bar for many reasons, sitting in a communal like place like that for me would be like a nightmare LOL. There's a reason I go on vacation alone, I want the alone time. If that makes me weird or anti-social, so be it, but I really do go on vacation so I can get away from the world and major conversation - to me it is to relax and decompress, so aside from some delightful chit-chat I may have with the servers, I am not looking to "make new friends" necessarily. I say that because just a few days ago at work, a co-worker was talking to me about all my solo-trips and commenting that I must easily make new friends in Disney because it's such a friendly place and how the times they went on vacation alone, they did that. And I'm like, "No, not, really". While I always enjoy all the banter I have with various Disney cast-members, I also appreciate it's brevity. I don't enjoy talking to complete strangers, to be honest, for me it's awkward. There are a few people in my life I would love to go to Disney with if they were able to, and I would jump in a second to plan a trip with them if they could, but I am not just looking to share my vacation or dinner with just anybody, just so I can have some sociable interaction because I don't need social interaction to have a fun time.

People just can't believe I really do enjoy being myself and enjoy my own company, I guess. I'm a perfectly friendly guy in my life, but I do really love my solitude and I am not bored by having no one to talk to. And I understand that there are many other people who can't even imagine going out to eat or a movie alone, let alone a vacation, but I really do love it, it's actually soothing to not have to talk to anyone and just relax and absorb all the Disney magic.

Same. No one has ever asked me if I want to sit at the bar.

Oh, how interesting! I hate that they always ask to sit me at the bar, even though I always assume they have been all told they MUST ask all solo diners that, I now know that can't be true if they never have asked you. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, and perhaps they truly want to be helpful in making my dining experience more sociable and therefore more enjoyable, but I can't help but always feel it's at least partly (if not mostly) because they are hoping they don't have to waste a whole table on a solo diner when they could use it for a larger party. So, I don't appreciate being asked because it has the effect of making me feel guilty for wanting to use a whole table on little old me - again, I know I shouldn't be so sensitive and worry about it, but it does make me feel that way. And as you say, you don't need a reservation to sit at bars, so really why would a patron go to the trouble of making a dining reservation 180 days out at a Walt Disney World eatery if they only wanted to sit at the bar? It doesn't seem likely most would. If it was a normal restaurant, I might actually believe they are being considerate by asking me if I want to sit at the bar, but because it's Disney and they want to move everyone along and fit in as much business as possible, I feel it is more likely they are trying to maximize space by shuffling off solo diners to the bar. So to me, I feel it's a rude question to ask a solo diner - if a solo diner wanted to sit at a bar, they would bring it up to the host, the host bringing it up has the unintentional effect of emphasizing that we are just a party of 1. Just my own perspective and I'll admit to being a little weird about it.

And as it turns out, I really would hate to sit at the bar for many reasons, sitting in a communal like place like that for me would be like a nightmare LOL. There's a reason I go on vacation alone, I want the alone time. If that makes me weird or anti-social, so be it, but I really do go on vacation so I can get away from the world and major conversation - to me it is to relax and decompress, so aside from some delightful chit-chat I may have with the servers, I am not looking to "make new friends" necessarily. I say that because just a few days ago at work, a co-worker was talking to me about all my solo-trips and commenting that I must easily make new friends in Disney because it's such a friendly place and how the times they went on vacation alone, they did that. And I'm like, "No, not, really". While I always enjoy all the banter I have with various Disney cast-members, I also appreciate it's brevity. I don't enjoy talking to complete strangers, to be honest, for me it's awkward. There are a few people in my life I would love to go to Disney with if they were able to, and I would jump in a second to plan a trip with them if they could, but I am not just looking to share my vacation or dinner with just anybody, just so I can have some sociable interaction because I don't need social interaction to have a fun time.

People just can't believe I really do enjoy being myself and enjoy my own company, I guess. I'm a perfectly friendly guy in my life, but I do really love my solitude and I am not bored by having no one to talk to. And I understand that there are many other people who can't even imagine going out to eat or a movie alone, let alone a vacation, but I really do love it, it's actually soothing to not have to talk to anyone and just relax and absorb all the Disney magic.

This reminded me of the places I don't really care to go. I don't want to go somewhere like Biergarten where I have to sit with other people. That's not because I feel weird being alone, it's because I like being alone! lol

That is weird that they ask you to sit at the bar. I would definitely say something when you check in how you do not want to sit at the bar. Maybe it is because you are a man that they assume that you want the bar atmosphere. Definitely say something though.

I blame disney for this! With all of the new upcharges , I saw the subject line and thought this was a new dinner/ m & g with Han Solo !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter