Some questions about the Callifornia Grill

mslangen

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

For my upcomming trip I'v arranged a PS for the Callifornia Grill. I'v read so much great things about the restaurant that I really like to eat there this time.
I'v allready looked at the menu at www.allearsnet.com however the menu can be changed a bit while I'm there.

On the menu there are first course dishes and main course dishes, which are clear to me. They also have brick oven fired flatbreads and sushi and sashimi

Maybe these are dumb questions, but I'd like to know before I'm going there.

1. What are the brick oven fired Flatbreads like? Are these among the same as Pizza?

2. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between sushi and sashimi? How big are those portions? Will it be the same amount of food compared to an item from the first course list?

3. Is it common to order Sushi or Sashimi instead of an item from the first course list, or is it more an option for dessert. Sorry if it sounds dumb, I never had the chance to try Sushi or Sashimi.

I really like to try Sushi or so, but I think it may be to much for a person to order Sushi, then first course and main course. Of course it depends on how big the portions are.

Any Callifornia Grill regulars who can answer one or more of my questions? That will be very appreciated. I'm flying to Orlando next monday. Can't wait.

Gr. Marcel.

Well, we're CG regulars of a sort as it is a must do for us each trip. However, I don't eat sushi or sashimi and always forget the distinction. My DH, DS1 and his fiancee all enjoy it but they're not hear to ask.:( Anyway, they involve raw seafood and rice:o really I know that's not a good explanation but I'm sure someone else can help you out. My DH really enjoys good wasabi with his. It is similar to horseradish in flavor I guess but very, very potent. It looks a little like green pate. So in answer to your third question, sushi and sashimi could replace a first course but would be an unusual selection for dessert. Not sweet in the least which is the custom for desserts in the US. But if that's when it would taste best to you...go for it.

As to portion size, it is probably a fair comparison to most first courses.

The flatbreads at CG probably have crusts that are similar to pizzas you have. At least my BIL from Belgium describes pizza there as thin and crispy with fresh ingredients on top. I love CG flatbreads and almost always have one as an appetizer or entree.

Which brings me to one other point. We order as we feel like eating. My husband may order sushi and an entree while I order a salad and then a flatbread. I remember my son ordering sushi for his first course and then a salad from the "first course" list as his entree. Just order what appeals to you in the order you want. The waitstaff won't blink an eye.

I hope you enjoy California Grill and your entire WDW trip.

The flatbread we had was about 6" (15cm) in diameter and it was a fairly thin crispy crust. I agree completely with BCV23 - they're very very good. :)

Sashimi is little square 'blocks' of raw fish, usually tuna but there are other kinds. Sushi is smaller slivers of raw fish wrapped in vinegared rice with things like bits of vegetables, raw wasabi, etc, usually wrapped with seaweed (or in the case of California roll, just rice all around). We haven't had either at the CG, but I've seen theirs and it looked very tasty. It would probably make a good appetizer course.

For dessert, I would recommend the chocolate cake with the liquid chocolate center. That was excellent (if you like chocolate - lol!)

Enjoy your dinner! :)

Originally posted by BeamsofLight

Sashimi is little square 'blocks' of raw fish, usually tuna but there are other kinds. Sushi is smaller slivers of raw fish wrapped in vinegared rice with things like bits of vegetables, raw wasabi, etc, usually wrapped with seaweed (or in the case of California roll, just rice all around).

Some sushi (shrimp and eel come to mind) is cooked (although I have had raw shrimp, it's more commonly cooked).

Hi,

Thank you all for your response.
I'v decide to try sushi at the Japan pavilion in Epcot That will be a few days before I'm going to the Callifornia grill. Depending on how the sushi tastes to me I can choose to order sushi at the Callifornia Grill or not.

>Originally posted by BeamsofLight
>For dessert, I would recommend the chocolate cake with the >liquid chocolate center. That was excellent (if you like >chocolate - lol!)
Yes! I like chocolate very much. I will write this down and maybe I will choose that one for dessert.

Gr. Marcel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter