someone is purposly rating our contest photos a 1!!

Disneyfun1

Walt Disney World Lover-DVC Owner Since 1/07
i went to check the pics i have up to see if anyone voted on them Well i noticed a lot of my scores went down. I clicked on them, and a person voted them all a 1 with no comment. Not every pic i have was voted on yet, but most were and lowered my overal score.

then i went to look at other pics, and noticed that others that had scores on them, also were voted a 1 by the same person! Its seems to be if you have no score, you were left alone, but if you had a score, you got a 1 vote added to your score by this person. I dont know if they are making the rounds and hadnt got to all categories yet, but the ones i saw all had ones on them if you had any score. I dont know this person at all, but the name is arielrae.

Can we stop this??

i sent an email to the podcast group for help!!

I have noticed this happening here and there for the past few days with a photos here and there. If you look at the photos that have been rated at all, there are many beautiful photos that at least one person has rated as 1 or 2. I could not understand this either. This prompted me to post a note a few days ago and ask people to leave comments. If you are going to say a pictures is bad, you should at least say why. In the last day I think there were more 1's entered than 8,9 or 10s combined. Very few if any have comments.

This might be as you indicated the people are rating photos low to benefit someone else which was my first reaction, or possibly they just don't understand how the rating works (I've read things backwards before). Either way it does feel pretty bad when you have a picture you really like from your wonderful vacation and want to share it, then someone says it is a poor photo without leaving any comments. It has happened to mine and to a number of other people.

I am ok if someone doesn't like my photos, but I'd really like to know why. If there is somehting that really strikes the person as a problem I'd really like to know so I can learn to take better photos.

I have posted a number of photos and I have rated a lot of photo too since the site went up. I have left a comment for just about every photo I rated. My approach has been that when I see a photo I like, I rate it and leave a comment. I reserve 10s for the things that I feel are the best of the best. When I rate something less than 10 I always say what I think could be improved in my mind to bring it up to a 10. I don't see a whole lot of value in rating anything I don't like. I have not rated everything I think as a really good picture. People may disagree with me, but it is really hurtful to go in as you did and find photos rated really low without a comment, and especially hurtful when many or all your photos are rated low.

This is something that has been bugging me for a few days so I am glad you brought it up.

I don't know that there's anything deliberate going on...I just think the whole voting process is very confusing. Poor Corey -- I sent him a PM about the photo contest too! I had one photo that I submitted and it came out smaller than I wanted, so a day or two later I edited it and deleted the first one and for all I know, may have deleted some votes as well.

It just seems like there's too many ways to manipulate the numbers the way the voting system is now...maybe Pete and crew can get some business associates to be independent judges or something.

I mean really, we can't be trusted if the prizes are anything Disney!!! :teeth:

I saw that to. I went and looked and the same person went and voted 1 on a whole bunch of picture. Who knows if she meant it or not? It's jsut sad that soemone would do that on purpose. :confused3

Most of the pictures that I saw are really good. :)

Here's the deal...we’re going to use the ratings as a guide, but since there are some voting irregularities, we'll be making the final decision on the winning photo.

We're trying to have good time here and it's sad that this has to turn into PHOTO-GATE. IMHO no photo deserves a 1 rating.

Here's the deal...we’re going to use the ratings as a guide, but since there are some voting irregularities, we'll be making the final decision on the winning photo.

We're trying to have good time here and it's sad that this has to turn into PHOTO-GATE. IMHO no photo deserves a 1 rating.
Thanks Corey. We certainly appreciate the effort, and we know it takes a ton of work to mount the site and make decisions on the photos. I know I'm having fun seeing everyone's photos, and am so impressed with everyone's abilities. Thanks again for the contest.

I successfully uploaded some photos that I thought turned out well when I took them and one of my daughter who flashed me a really big smile at a parade, but I'm not sure how to go about voting for them or any of the others that I have seen that I loved!

Anyone want to take a moment to "splain" it to me??

Thanks!

Corey, you're absolutely right, every photo up there deserves far more than a 1. The kids are just absolutely adorable, every single one of them. I've never seen such happiness. They make me happy just looking at them!

I saw that to. I went and looked and the same person went and voted 1 on a whole bunch of picture. Who knows if she meant it or not? It's jsut sad that soemone would do that on purpose. :confused3

Most of the pictures that I saw are really good. :)

Crap, I hope it wasn't me! :scared: j/k I don't think I've voted at all...

Don't forget what mother always said: "Two wrongs don't make a right!".

I'm sure the person that started all this realizes she's been "outed" so no need for everyone to jump on the bandwagon (although it would be a great photo op -- I'm just not sure what category it falls in! :teeth: )

I'll admit to voting to alot of 1's to pictures and then 10's to my favorites. I love the kid jumping from the beds. LOL. Aren't we supposed to pick one pic and rate it 10 and the rest 1 so the best pic is on top? I thought all the points got added up. :confused3

I'll admit to voting to a lot of 1's to pictures and then 10's to my favorites. I love the kid jumping from the beds. LOL. Aren't we supposed to pic one pic and rate it high and the rest low? :confused3

Personally, I don't really see anything wrong with that!
I voted high on the ones I really loved and low on the ones, well lets just say I didn't like so much. IMHO, I think some people just entered too many pictures rather than a select few they felt were special.
I totally agree with the kid jumping from the beds, I forget what the caption read but it made it even better!
BTW, I don't have any pics entered nor do I know anyone who does.

Well I'm rating on the pictures I like or that catch my attention. In my opinion I would never rate any pictures low unless they were deserving of it(bad lighting etc) I would never rate a picture a 1 just because it didn't stand out to me.

...never mind. My mother always said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Looka me, trying to be nice! How weird...

I'll admit to voting to alot of 1's to pictures and then 10's to my favorites. I love the kid jumping from the beds. LOL. Aren't we supposed to pick one pic and rate it 10 and the rest 1 so the best pic is on top? I thought all the points got added up. :confused3

No. The points do NOT add up, they average. You are not giving people points when you vote a 1, you are taking the average down. I certainly hope that's not your intent...I suspect it was not.

I believe the scores are averaged. For example, a picture that has been rated 10 and 1 has a rating of 5.5. The highest score any picture can have, no matter how many times it is voted on, is 10.

I realized this flaw about the voting right away. I wondered how many people would vote 8's, 9's, and 10's for other pictures they liked when they submitted pictures of their own that they can't even vote on. Basically, voting high scores for other pictures hurts your own pictures since you can't vote on them.

I think it's good that the DIS crew are just using the ratings as suggestions. I have no problem with the way it is now, because I think the crew will look at all the pictures and truly pick the best. Hindsight is 20/20, but maybe it should have been one picture per category per person, and take the people who submitted pictures out of the voting process. Oh well, maybe if they do this again, they can implement more rules.

But for this one, vote for me! I'm M_and_M because the photoboard wouldn't allow me to use the & symbol.

I have no shame.

One of my photos was rated low and then no comments.

My family and friends are having a hard time getting logged in to make comments, I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but it is frustrating. Any solutions? They all have registered but can't seem to comment. I appreciated the comments I did get especially the one about the composition of the picture, that was great!

If you don't have something nice to say and are just looking to knock people out of top positions for your own needs then stop being ridiculous. Remember each of us here could go and do the same but why do that??!!

One of my photos was rated low and then no comments.

My family and friends are having a hard time getting logged in to make comments, I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but it is frustrating. Any solutions? They all have registered but can't seem to comment. I appreciated the comments I did get especially the one about the composition of the picture, that was great!

If you don't have something nice to say and are just looking to knock people out of top positions for your own needs then stop being ridiculous. Remember each of us here could go and do the same but why do that??!!

I saw your pics and they were great! I voted on several before I figured out how to leave comments! :rotfl: I should have scrolled on down to see the little comment box. anyway, you have a real eye at catching expressions ... I really enjoyed all of your pics!

My family and friends are having a hard time getting logged in to make comments, I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but it is frustrating. Any solutions?

I have family and friends who are having the same problem. When my daughter registered she noticed a system message at the top of the screen that said "Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to 10.240.13.139:25 (Connection refused) in /includes/class_mail.php on line 599". She never received the confirming email that you need to respond to in order to post so she emailed for support and received an automatic response saying to send a note to 111@wdwinfo.com with the word Activate in the subject. She tried that and still no response. It sounds like a system problem. Maybe Corey can respond

I appreciated the comments I did get especially the one about the composition of the picture, that was great!

I agree - I think the comments help people improve. And when you have a really great picture like your Cinderella photo I think people should recognize it. I have plenty of photos out there that I think are pretty decent but I have no problem telling others theirs are too. I rated your Cinderella photo a 10

I totally agree. This is supposed to be fun, and we should be supporting each other. If it turned into a game of just bringing people down, I'd just go away. Part of the fun is seeing things through others eyes and there are some great ones out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter