• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Son's absence "strongly discouraged"

MelissaE1

Truly believes in the Magic
I have read with interest the thread about taking your kids out of school and the various responses. This is my DS8's first year at this school and they have prominent articles posted near the front desk about missing too much school and how they can hold you back for more than nine days missed, etc. I have never been one to worry much about this, but this time their strong stance had me a little worried and prepped for battle.

Anyway, yesterday I submitted the requisite letter to his very businesslike, no-nonsense principal advising her of my intent to take my son out (I left out the "Disney Cruise" part but put in the areas we'd be visiting) and said that I thought it was a great educational opportunity and that I was working with his teacher to make sure he didn't miss key assignments and had extra travel-related learning opportunities.

This morning my son handed me a letter out of his backpack, obviously a form letter for these occasions from the principal. It stated that all work must be turned in the day he got back, he would get zeros for missed assignments, blah blah blah. The last paragraph stated "Student absences during the school year are strongly discouraged."

After reading through the letter my eyes strayed to a small, handwritten post-it note attached to the bottom of the page. It said "Can the principal go too?"

Needless to say I got a smile out of that!

Whew! You had me worried. Judging by the Post-it note, it's a school board policy and not necessarily endorsed by the school itself.

My kids (3rd & 4th grade) should be getting their assignments early next week. We're hoping to get it all finished BEFORE we go so they don't have to do school work on the ship. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you have a wonderful time on your cruise. We'll leave try to leave the ship in good shape for you!

We don't have any kids, but I don't see a problem with it. Travelling is a great educational tool and you can set aside time for school homework and studies throughout the cruise. We did this for the neighbor kid we took along on a cruise with us and it worked just fine.

Happy sailing!
Tina
PS: By the way, taking the neighbor kid with us was one of the BEST times we've ever had on vacation. Seeing him experience new things was priceless. I should be on a DCL commercial.

I have Two grown kids and took them out of school every year for 8 years in a row. I still have a 12 yr old at home and I still do the same. We went on the Wonder in April and October this past year and He missed school both times. The policy here is about the same as yours and is frowned apon, but there has never been a problem.

We have taken our kids out of school for 9 days each of the past 3 years. They have both been completely caught up within 2 or 3 days of returning to school!

I can't believe the shortsightedness of any school faculty that would discourage family vacations! It is an invaluable time together, and as you mentioned, educational - they will undoubtedly learn more on vacation than they would at school during that time anyway!

I admire your "ready to do battle" attitude! It is exactly what I would do if I thought I was going to face any real opposition from my kids' school.

Ask yourself this question : Do you really think you might look back, years from now, and say to yourself, "Gee, I really wish we hadn't taken our son on that wonderful Disney cruise"!?

Your memories will last a lifetime. And in the greater scheme of things, just how vital is 2 weeks of 1st grade ??

Just my (not so humble) opinion !!!

'Beano' :cool:

We have been very fortunate to have rational thinkers in our school. We are part of an urban city school system, so there are all sorts of rules on the books, but our Principal partners with an active PTA to run a first rate school that won a Presidential Blue Ribbon last year. So the stated policy is "no". Unofficially, students are treated individually--when I asked his teacher for some assignements to take with him, she shrugged it off and said "I'm not worried about him, have a great time". So my 1st grade DS (as the last poster asked--what exactly was he going to miss, anyway?) will keep a written journal because he loves to write, and we'll read some stories because he loves to read.

Condolences to all those who have short-sighted teachers whose lives are ruled by rule books without recognizing the individual students.

Plenty of time to miss family events later in life--like the NCAA basketball i couldnt go to with dad because that was GMAT weekend...

We took our DD out for the first time last year to do a cruise and the teachers and staff were great. This year, middle school, we took her out right before Christmas for a WDW/Cruise trip. Talked to everyone ahead of time, oh no problem. DD gets back on Monday and the one teacher announces that DD and another girl who was also gone are getting incompletes for all the assignments that week because the teacher does not have time to tell them what they missed and she might give them an F. I am trying to let some time pass before I blow. Everyone else was so nice and her strings teacher gave her extra credit for going to the Candlelight Processional. I think when we take her out of school 2 days early for spring break I will just call her in sick!!

We took our children (DS12 and DD6) out of school for almost three weeks this year and had the time of our lives. Admittedly, part of the three weeks included Thanksgiving, but they missed a total of 13 days of school. The school policy is rather strict, but when we spoke to the individual teachers about it they were very understanding. They did, however, give both the kids LOTS of homework, which we had them do every morning for an hour or so (talk about an incentive - "can't go to Magic Kingdom until your math is done!").

The kids were actually AHEAD of their class when we got back, and our family will remember this trip for the rest of our lives. We wouldn't hesitate for a minute to do it again.

It is a reward for my children to be pulled out of school for the week of Family vacation we take each year. They understand that should their grades slip at all, they will be left home with a grandparent. I have been proactive with teachers/principals to get their approval and explain what I feel to be the educational opportunities on the trip. Some of them we learned here and others we developed on our own. Math can be made very fun when Disney is involved and you would be amazed how easy it is to get a report done with a Dis related topic. Hell, with as much research as I do before a vacation I could earn another degree. Come to think of it a MDV (Masters in Disney Vacationing) sounds good.

The thing that burns me is the poor students who are taken out of school at every turn. This is why I think so many school districts have adopted stricter "policies". In the eleven years of schooling between my kids so far (yes I know its still early, 6th, 4th and K) we have seen one B come home on a report card. As long as it stays at that level I will use a week for an off peak vacation every year.

A note from the other side of this. I was the student, my mum used to take me and my sister out of school every march for almost two weeks, plus usally another week at a different time.. I wasn't, uh hum the best student, but I never fell behind the class once. I really apreciated my mum doing that. My sister and I really did learn a lot. Every March we went to CA to visit my uncle, and Disneyland. The other week was spent visiting my other uncle in the army where ever he was living at the time.
I honestly think those trips helped us learn, even if they weren't 'learning' trips. Its so much easier to understand the pioneers when you've seen the dry plains of OK, or to understand the immigrant problems when you've seen the mexicans lined up for work in the fields at 5am, to see DC and the white house is something that can't be replecated in school. Personally I think that travel is one of the best learning expriences there is. Learning is one of the reason I travel. I want to know what everything, everywhere is like, and it doesn't hurt if mickey mouse and gang is there ;)

DD17 was diagnosed last year with ADD. Before that we had taken her out two years in a row for cruising. School counselor gave me the guilt trip that she was going to slip because she would be missing a week. When I calmly expressed my concern for the two existing failing marks he quickly recanted. I figure if she was failing being in school, what harm would come. Once she got back her work was caught up and she pulled the failing grades back up! So, there!

DS8 has no problem filling out his journal. He is excited about it this year. He is already planning to order the cheese platter from room service. Last year we ordered the cheese and fruit platter and sat looking out of our secret porthole while writing about visiting St. Maartin for the day. hmmmmm, that was wonderful.

Kim

some people really shouldn't be teachers. When my grandfather died, I missed allmost all my midterms. My mum had called the school and spoke to the principle, he had told her that my teachers could either gade me on the grades I already had or make me make up the mid-term. My history "teacher" made me go after school everyday for a week to make up the mid-term. When I got my grade it was an 'f'. The teacher had given me a 'F" for my midterm. We had a meeting with her head of dept to question this, when he asked her about it she said "i figured she just failed anyway so I didn't bother to correct the test" Mind you I was an A history student and had scored hightest in the state on some national history test and I was offered to go to Washington DC to complete in a high school history/social studies contest.
Some teacher just aren't happy with their lives and need someone to take it out on. The good news is that I got the 'F' removed and my mid-term corrected (I had gotten an A, quite a bit differnet than F). Castawayfan, I wouldn't wait to talk to the teacher and/or his head of dept (or principle which ever applies). I think the reason why things worked out so nicely is that my mother did not wait. She called the school the day she found out I was getting the "F"

Originally posted by castawayfan
We took our DD out for the first time last year to do a cruise and the teachers and staff were great. This year, middle school, we took her out right before Christmas for a WDW/Cruise trip. Talked to everyone ahead of time, oh no problem. DD gets back on Monday and the one teacher announces that DD and another girl who was also gone are getting incompletes for all the assignments that week because the teacher does not have time to tell them what they missed and she might give them an F. I am trying to let some time pass before I blow. Everyone else was so nice and her strings teacher gave her extra credit for going to the Candlelight Processional. I think when we take her out of school 2 days early for spring break I will just call her in sick!!

I'm going on my third vacation for the year, and even though the school says more than one is discouraged, they have always approved the absence. :) Have fun!!!

Thanks Azreial for the good advice and I think you are right about some people and their unhappiness. This teacher has been teaching for 40 years and I think is just tired of it all.

Hi, just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. As a child I was taken out of school for vacations two times. 1st grade for two weeks driving across the country (Ohio-California yes there was a quick trip to disneyland!) 3rd grade for two weeks driving to florida (yes, there were visits to Disney World) These were the times that our parents were able to have vacations. If we didn't go during the school year, we wouldn't have been able to go. Plus, you can imagine all of our stops along the way.

I don't think any harm was caused. I guess I can say that. I've been teaching for 14 years. As a teacher, I think that most schools understand. It has been the rare occassion that I have ever heard other teachers complain about students going on vacations. I'm a traveling teacher and I go to 4 different schools. Only in very extreme cases will there be something said. One case that I can remember was a senior girl who was failing a course that she needed to graduate. She went on a 2 week vacation not long before final exams. She was not one of my students and I don't remember ever hearing the outcome. This might have been one of those times that should have been re-thought. The school did not tell her she couldn't go, but you would have hoped that common sense would have prevailed. Oh well, just my thoughts.

Also, I'm curious about the number of missing days that schools will hold back a student for. Our schools' policies are 45 days!

I say go for it and have a great time!!!

you're welcome, he's probably mad because he didn't get to go on a disney cruise
Originally posted by castawayfan
Thanks Azreial for the good advice and I think you are right about some people and their unhappiness. This teacher has been teaching for 40 years and I think is just tired of it all.

Your children are young only once, and the opportunity to spend some quality time with them is more important than anything else in the world. I am an elementary teacher and am absolutely thrilled when a student leaves for an exciting family trip where more lessons will be learned than even realized.

Your teachers should be creative with assignments. I can't think of a curriculum unit that couldn't be tapped into during a high seas voyage. Some examples I have used that you might suggest to your children' teachers:

1. A journal with photos and descriptions of activities. (Langugae Arts)

2. Read a biography of WD while on board and report to class (History & Lit.)

3. Keep an expennse account. (Math)

4. Learn facts about the ships's size and weight, etc.. (Math & Science)

5. Interviewing crew members to find out about jobs and careers.

6. Bring along a world map and find out where different cast and crew are from.

The list goes on and on.

Personally, I tell the parents GO...Have a Good time! We will all be here when you get back. If they insist on work to be done, then I give one of the assignments above.

It is all about loving your children and spending your time together wisely. Nothing else matters. In today's world, there should be no debate. Happy Vacations to you all!

I totally agree with everyone, I also believe it is much more educational to travel than to sit in a classroom for a week. What are my kids going to look back and remember? A Disney cruise or page 341 in their math books? Had they hassled me they would have had a fight on their hands. My son is advanced for his grade and I don't think they would have logical grounds to refuse to excuse his absence. I would have taken him anyway. (Can you tell I am spirit of the law as opposed to letter of the law?)

I was really just pleasantly surprised that the principal was so great about it. I was braced for a fight and it turned out to be nothing. (Thank goodness!)

My son's 3rd grade teacher is a once in a lifetime find. She is absolutely awesome and has supported us 110% since I first mentioned it. She is giving him his missed assignments a week early, is going to let him just take the math test instead of doing all the math papers (his best subject) and has obviously put some time into thinking of fun assignments he can do while on the cruise for writing (not his best subject!) and other things. I cannot say enough good about her and we count our blessings daily that she has graced our lives. I am sure she would have knocked down the principal for me if she had hassled me! lol.

Carlennaro, thank you for the great ideas. I will pass them on to her.

Now, what are they going to say when they find out we have a WDW trip scheduled for early May? (grin)

Our school is a little different, they do try to discourage it but there's no "number of days rule". The interesting twist is that they will absolutely not, and the teachers can't make exceptions, give you any work ahead of time or any alternative assignments. You have to make it up to the teacher's satisfaction when you get back. The big problem, of course is that you have no idea what they are going to make you do and how fast you will have to have it in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter