Sorry but SW has gone Downhill.

DisOrBust

<font color=CC66CC>Tag Fairy does tags only, the A
I had read the thread "Never again Seaworld" and thought it was harsh and how could it be that bad?? Our last trip to SW was April 2001( note prior to 9/11/2001) and we LOVED it! In fact when collegues ask about what to see in Orlando I would say if you only have time for one park make it SW. How have things changed!!

1.Mystify. The "old" dolphin/whale show had much more interaction with the aniimals and was very funny as well. a Mom would pretend to be taking her DDs picture and fall into the tank! It really was a hoot. Now Mystifiy has some kind of disconnected story of a "girl" longing to play with the sea animals. The trainers/performers look stiff. The main "male" character really looked like he hated his job. It must have been a rough transition from being a Dolphin trainer to now "playing a part". There is a women who spins on a rope and tries to be a bird. Bad guys twirl on ropes and the occasion Dolphin jumps. It is such an attempt to be disneyfied its comical. The performers as well are availbe for autographs and pictures after the show.

2. Dolphin feeding. In the past everyone was allowed in the feeding area now only if you bought fish. They take your picture form across the tank for you to purchase.

3. Terrors of the Deep. In the past you were able to walk up to the huge shark tank and really get a good look! Now thats a restaurant. Only the shark tunnel is open.

4. Believe. God Aweful!!! The storyline isn't hateful. A young man dreams of being a trainer, i could almost buy it. The whales do nothing!! One or 2 jumps. Some spinning with their trainer, alittle splashing at the audience.
Before they had much more action and brig out this HUGE whale who jump and get you soaked!! Also had a cute storyline of guys vs, gals. At night , "Shamu Rocks america!!" Great whale action the audience would get totally into i!

What still good:
Clyde and Seymore. The whole reason to go to SeaWorld. I don't know why they don't learn from this show and apply it to the others!

Pets Ahoy!! Still very cute!!

Wild Artic. I personally don't like the simulator, I fing it to rough but the exhibit is done well!

I left SeaWorld with a heavy heart. I can't imagine going back anytime soon unless things go under major changes. MY family of 5, spent 277$ to walk through the door and I feel sorry for the money spent. This is all IMHO but I want others to know how we felt beofe you spend th cash!!

OUCH -

While I agree that the old Dolphin show and the new show are very different, how much longer could they keep going with the "girl falls into the water" skit...it's been a good 7 years now.

I also love the Pets Ahoy show, but you really missed out on a lot of things like "Journey to Atlantis", "Krakken", the fireworks at the end of the night, the Clydesdale show, and the Happy Harbor for the little ones. My oldest boy loved the rides and games and didn't want to leave SW.

If I recall, they still do have the shark tank and you can definitely still walk through and see them up close.

Also, what other amusement park can you visit and get in free within 7 days to enjoy a 2nd full day of touring all for the same cost as one ticket???

Sorry you had a bad visit, but it sounds as if you didn't give it much of a chance in the first place.

DisOrBust said:
2. Dolphin feeding. In the past everyone was allowed in the feeding area now only if you bought fish. They take your picture form across the tank for you to purchase.

when did they start this?

I was very disapointed in Sea World, I thought it was a waste of money. I have only been to SW in California and loved it. I would not visit SW in Orlando again.

WOW!! I agree with every word you said!! We were just there Nov.24 & 25
2 days is too many. We felt the exact same way. I really disliked Mystify. I wanted to see the dolphins not some Cirque wanna be-s. We won't be back anytime soon. Very disappointing.
Kimba

By the way - they don't have a fireworks show in the "off season" . They did have a little fountain show in the evening. We were disappointed with that also.

DisOrBust said:
I had read the thread "Never again Seaworld" and thought it was harsh and how could it be that bad?? Our last trip to SW was April 2001( note prior to 9/11/2001) and we LOVED it! In fact when collegues ask about what to see in Orlando I would say if you only have time for one park make it SW. How have things changed!!

1.Mystify. The "old" dolphin/whale show had much more interaction with the aniimals and was very funny as well. a Mom would pretend to be taking her DDs picture and fall into the tank! It really was a hoot. Now Mystifiy has some kind of disconnected story of a "girl" longing to play with the sea animals. The trainers/performers look stiff. The main "male" character really looked like he hated his job. It must have been a rough transition from being a Dolphin trainer to now "playing a part". There is a women who spins on a rope and tries to be a bird. Bad guys twirl on ropes and the occasion Dolphin jumps. It is such an attempt to be disneyfied its comical. The performers as well are availbe for autographs and pictures after the show.

3. Terrors of the Deep. In the past you were able to walk up to the huge shark tank and really get a good look! Now thats a restaurant. Only the shark tunnel is open.

4. Believe. God Aweful!!! The storyline isn't hateful. A young man dreams of being a trainer, i could almost buy it. The whales do nothing!! One or 2 jumps. Some spinning with their trainer, alittle splashing at the audience.
Before they had much more action and brig out this HUGE whale who jump and get you soaked!! Also had a cute storyline of guys vs, gals. At night , "Shamu Rocks america!!" Great whale action the audience would get totally into i!

What still good:
Clyde and Seymore. The whole reason to go to SeaWorld. I don't know why they don't learn from this show and apply it to the others!

Pets Ahoy!! Still very cute!!

Wild Artic. I personally don't like the simulator, I fing it to rough but the exhibit is done well!

I left SeaWorld with a heavy heart. I can't imagine going back anytime soon unless things go under major changes. MY family of 5, spent 277$ to walk through the door and I feel sorry for the money spent. This is all IMHO but I want others to know how we felt beofe you spend th cash!!

We went in May and would definitely go back. I wouldn't say it's my favorite park but it has it's own appeal. The last time I was there, prior to this year, was back in 1988. Back then you had to pay to feed the dolphins, something we haven't done on either visit. Granted some shows are better than others and of course they change over time.

Dislikes: The polar tour we did was dissappointing and the shows are timed so that it makes it impossible to see them all in one day (we only did one day, next time will try two).
Likes: But Atlantis and Kraken are great, the educational value is excellant, the Luau dinner was great and I love the shark tube! Free beer is always a plus.
Honestly, the only amusement park that I haven't enjoyed was Six Flags.

Did you really get to touch a penguin on the polar tour?

mrsklamc said:
Did you really get to touch a penguin on the polar tour?
Yes. Everyone stands in line to take turns and you use two fingers to touch the penguin. That was the only reason to take the tour.

We find Sea World is best visited in moderation, having been back there in August after a 2 year exile we found we really enjoyed our day there - SW has a really relaxed atmosphere and our son in particular loved seeing the Dolphins, Penguins and Puffins.

In addition the Happy Harbor play area is brilliant for children, and the Waterfront shopping area very nice too.

SW gets a big :thumbsup2 from me.

Hillbeans said:
If I recall, they still do have the shark tank and you can definitely still walk through and see them up close.

QUOTE]

The shark tank is still there. But, unless you dine in the restaurant, there is no longer a place to just sit and watch the sharks.

I didn't like Mistify. I liked the old fireworks shows better. I was very disappointed with Believe, but Blue Horizons was great. Journey to Atlantis was excellent. Never ridden Kraken. I loved Pets Ahoy! Didn't care too much for the "Sizzlin' Pianos" show (the first year was great [2005] but this year that show wasn't worth seeing). I keep missing the afternoon fountain shows. I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never a whole show.

Nellas Elensar

P.S. you can read a longer post by me in the "I love Sea World, but..." thread.

We do always like to go to to Seaworld, agree with the comments about Mystify, but did enjoy Believe (not enough to splash out on one of those wooden necklaces they sell though!!). I really don't like the polar bear exhibit, and would never go again, it breaks my heart to see them there, so unatural. We all enjoy Kraken and Journery to Atlantis, and just love Clyde and Seymour. I would agree with Johnny, moderation is the key.

Hillbeans said:
Also, what other amusement park can you visit and get in free within 7 days to enjoy a 2nd full day of touring all for the same cost as one ticket???

Sesame Place :thumbsup2 Not too far from me and my kids love it

I've been looking into going to SW while down there in April but this thread is making me rethink the whole thing..

Sesame Place is also owned by the same people that own the Sea World and Busch Garden parks, so the extra days free still applies only to that company, I think. SW is a nice break from the rush, rush, rush, hustle and bustle of Disney or Universal although I like them all. Each one is a totally different experience for me. I enjoy the Christmas lights at MGM, the fireworks at Magic Kingdom, and I always enjoy the marine animals at SW. It's nice to have a park where, if you want, you can find a nice place to sit down and take a breather and not have to play musical chairs to get the seat.
I always hear some folks that will complain about how they don't like this or that new show compared to the old ones but I think change is good. I look forward to returning to a given park to see what the new changes are and Sea World is no exception. Still the tried and true attractions always have their appeal. I still ride the Carousel of Progress most times I go to Disney and I enjoy it. I first rode it at the World's Fair in Flatbush in 1964 and I take my grand kids on it these days. The same sort of thing applies to Shamu for me. I don't miss Mistify because I know it'll be back when the weather warms up. I do have my favorites and I have some things that I won't see unless I have guests with me (I'm a little old for Happy Harbor for example) but I rarely miss Believe and Blue Horizons. I'm sure I probably won't change a lot of minds out there but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in here.

Ok. I have been reading this thread and thinking........ People who have been to a park before, remember what they liked best about it before and it is hard to compete with good memories. The first time I went to the Magic Kingdom after not being there for about 10 years, I was so disappointed in the way the park looked(so run down and old-we attributed some of the dullness to hurricanes of 2004 wiping off the paint on the buildings?) . The shows that were still there were exactly the same, still using 1970s technology, etc., and some of the new rides were sort of lame. I still think they need a total refurbishment. But hey, to someone who has never been to the park, it is the grandest place in the world. If I actually had to pay to get into the MK, I doubt whether I would until I had grandchildren to show it off to.
I think the same thing applies to SW. A park cannot stay exactly the same and actually keep the same status you formed on your first visit. SW has evolved from a park that had a couple stadiums for shows, a Japaneese Village, and maybe 1 or 2 places to eat in the park-no rides. Yep, some of the old shows are gone trying to keep up with the Jones. Parks can't stay the same when they compete in a city of parks. I would guess attendance at SW is at its highest even though many parks in Fl are reporting flat numbers or negatives.
The old Shamu show and dolphin show had been practically the same for 30 years. It was time for a change. Since it has not been received with flying colors by all visitors to the park, I imagine they will tweek Believe and improvements will happen in the future.Actually everything done in the old shows are included in the new as for the "tricks" the animals do. You still see the animals doing all their natural movements and the trainers interaction with them. I think people going to the park for the first time actually enjoy the new shows, it is people who have seen the old that are having problems adjusting to the new version. I walked away thinking the old was better too, but am liking the new shows more each time I see them...but waiting for the kid to almost jump in ....and the Jimmy Buffet atmosphere of the dolphin show are still missed.
However......my family still thinks the ski show should be brought back from the 70s. With the Super Heroes movies back in the theaters the old ski show would be fantastic. They have not had a good replacement for it- ever. My oldest son's baby pictures are mostly of him being held by Batman, Supermanm etc from after the ski shows so that show is still our favorite memory of the park. But because one show is inferior to the past show there, it doesn't make us not enjoy our time spent in the park today. We still go as often as we can and would never think of giving up our Gold passes.
So if you are a first timer thinking of going to SW don't let people's opinions keep you from the park. Go and form your own. People's interest levels differ. Some people can spend hours reading every information sign and watching the manatees for hours, while others only want to spend a couple minutes before they get bored. With 100 visitors no experience will ever be exactly the same. We can all be watching the same dolphins in the under water viewing area and actually see totally different things happening in the tank. For example ----some dolphins form air rings to play with, but not everyone there sees them do it.

I agree a first timer SW may still be impressive. My point is SW should do what their good at and not try to be FOTL/ILLUMNATIONS on water! It doesn't work well, IMHO! Happy harbor is nice but it's not what I'm touring SW for. Same goes for Kraken. I know nothing about the inner workings of SW but I have to wonder if it is more to do with DC being the income generator and SW the afterthought?? Again this is all my families opinion but it was a consesus from 9yo and up!!

Don't get me wrong...I love Sea World, I've been going there for almost 23 years (intermingled with Cleveland's, which has been closed for some time [It is now Geagua Lake]). I just don't like the way some of their attractions are taking; that's all.

Nellas Elensar

Well put RabFlmom and I'm sure that if we could somehow travel back in time that some of these shows and attractions would not be so impressive in the light of what we can see these days.
BTW, I think that DC is the afterthought. It's certainly the newer park and has a capacity of only 1000 people.
Also, SW is building a separate water park on International Drive that's scheduled to open in '07(don't know when exactly). I drove by it today and it seems like they're certainly making progress.

shame on SeaWorld for trying to interject storylines and theatrics into their shows. apparently the masses want dolphins doing backflips and orcas flipping fifty degree water on them.

they must be the same audience that watches wrestling and monster truck shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter