Sorry but SW has gone Downhill.

DTop said:
Well put RabFlmom and I'm sure that if we could somehow travel back in time that some of these shows and attractions would not be so impressive in the light of what we can see these days.

BTW, I think that DC is the afterthought. It's certainly the newer park and has a capacity of only 1000 people.[/B]
Also, SW is building a separate water park on International Drive that's scheduled to open in '07(don't know when exactly). I drove by it today and it seems like they're certainly making progress.

Yes, DC is the expensive park that probably doesn't generate enough money to run it without using money made at the SW parks. It only has about 1000 guests in the park while the SW parks max is much higher with people having to pay for all food etc.

Sorry tried to put the one sentence in bold to highlite it and guess I don't know how to do that on these boards.
The water park might just be an awesome park if the rumors I have heard are true. Anyone hear anything about the slides? One my son has heard but hasn't been able to varify???? The tubes of 1 slide will be clear and go through tanks where dolphins are swimming???? If that one is true, I will have to tube it one more time before I retire from water parks in my old age. <g>

We too were disappointed with SeaWorld. Now we had been up since 200AM (we left Mass early this morning) so this could of played a factor.

We arrived at SeaWorld at 300PM today and did most of the park by 630PM. NOTE: We didn't see any of the formal shows. The crowds were very reasonalble.

Some positive notes:

1. The shark attack tunnels were REALLY cool!!!

2. The dolphin underground was cool

3. The nets were AWESOME but how do you get your kids down.

4. The MARRIOTT Residence Inn @ Seaworld is really nice to stay at!!!

5. Sting ray petting was interesting.

6. Same next day ticket free!!!

Some negative notes:

1. Many of the rides that they had required an EXTRA fee!!! MOST THEME PARKS allow for all rides/attractions.

2. Food prices were high and several shops/games/rides were closed or closing. We left right from the HOTEL without milk for our toddler. We couldn't find any milk and this was almost a crisis!!!

3. Some parts of the park looks like its from the 1970s/1980s and is really sterile and desperately needs a makeover. Some parts of park was lacking Christmas lights or even regular speakers.... just seemed to quite and remote.

4. They closed a large section of the park an hour early for a private party.

5. Parking is pricey!

6. Lack of benches and places to sit.

7. The NO STROLLER rule in parts of the attractions is a PAIN IN THE ***!!!

We are going back tomorrow (ON SAME TICKET) so hopefully will get another chance to review it on a few more hours of sleep.

thanks

Wow, we were just there a couple week ago and I couldn't disagree more.

The only thing we didn't like was that the better area of the dophin enounter was for people who bought fish to feed them, but there still is an area in the back where that isn't the case.

I thought the shows were excellent and even the food had improved a great deal.

Ok -- After seeing the Shamu show Believe which was just incredible and partaking in some of the yummy food (and free beer) at the Anheuser Bush hospitality area... I have a better opinion of SeaWorld!

They has seemed to closed down a major path which makes you walk around further to get to different sections of the park (e.g., Main Entrance/Shamu play area). Anyone know why?

If we came back to Disney in the future ... SeaWorld would only be a maybe not "a must see".

Sesame Place :thumbsup2 Not too far from me and my kids love it

I've been looking into going to SW while down there in April but this thread is making me rethink the whole thing..

We spent 3 days at SP last year. Some take aways:

• It is more of a water park than anything else and if you want to stay dry, there is only a 1/2 day's activities available
  • It is not the cleanest of parks, but I've seen worse
  • Exiting the parking lot is further exacerbated by the Oxford Mall traffic
  • Elmo's World show is definitely a must see if your child is in the age range.
  • Food choices are MUCH better at SW and that is not saying all that much
  • The Character Dinner was much more organized than the breakfast (we had done both back to back and was amazed at the difference)
  • Vapor Trail is one of the best kid coasters around
  • The Sheraton at Bucks County hopefully is not the marquis hotel for SP (we probably won't stay there again)

My son loved the play area at SP, which was the inspiration for SW's Shamu's Happy Harbor. We were very excited that SW put that area in. Since we are a couple of hours away from Orlando, we get the FL res fun card (bronze pass) and it allows us to come back as many times for the calendar year. I will most definitely go back to SW just like you would SP, however, I can see people who travel far like we did to Phily not see the entertainment value in SW.

We went to SeaWorld Dec 2005 and the kids loved it! We all enjoyed Mystify, course having nothing else to compare it to as this was a first trip for all of us, I can't give any comparison. Although I did get to go to the one on Ohio when I was 5 or 6, not that I remember much of that.

I can't remember what the previous Shamu show was before this new one but the kids, especially the older 2 loved this as well! They decided to sit in the very front, and when that huge whale came they were soaked to the skin! Despite having on ponchos! LOL The trainer even let them know they were going to get soaked but they didn't care! And having a face to face viewing of that huge whale just made it all perfect for them!

<What was even funnier was right before the whale came up the trainer scooted to the side. HE didn't want to get as wet as those 2 got! LOL>

Kraken, I loved, and after talking the 12yo into riding it it became one of his favorites as well!

We easily did this park in a day and unfortunatly didn't take advantage of the 2nd day free. I wish we had cause it was that much fun! And educational as well. I was disappointed we didn't get to all the shows, the timing stunk for a lot of them that was one of my biggest pet peeves, and they wouldn't let my almost 4yo onto the Atlantis ride even though he got to ride similar rides over at the Magic Kingdom. So the height restrictions being so high was a disappointment as well. And we didn't stay for the fireworks, and for the week of Dec 10th they did do them <not sure if that's considered an 'off' week or not>

If we ever get hubby talked into going again we'll definitly make a trip to SW again!

DW and me were at SW on dec. 3, and both got a wonderful time there. I went to SW about 15 yrs ago, and for my DW is her 1st time, and she loved the park over WDW parks.

I am very disappointed to see so many negative reviews of Sea World Orlando. We visited this summer and can honestly say that the two days we spent in the park have left me with such wonderful memories of our holiday that we rebooked as soon as we got home - specifically so that we could go back to Sea World.

The dolphin show "Blue Horizons" was a personal favourite, although slightly biased by the fact that this was the first time i'd seen a dolphin!!!!!

I did enjoy "Believe" - again because this was my first encounter with a Killer Whale but, the show for me did not live up to the hype - i guess i was expecting the whales to do a lot more (far too much emphasis on trainers and videos)

The Night time fireworks display was phenomenal and took us completely by surprise as we did not know it was going to be taking place.

All in all, a wonderful place that i can not wait to get back to

There are only 2 that require any fee at all, the paddle boat rental (not really a ride) for all of $6 and the Sky Tower for a whopping $3.

Overall, I love Sea World. It's my favorite park. I would definitely go back to see the whales and dolphins and other animals, even though some of the shows are not up to scratch with what I expect from them (namely Believe). We will definitely return as soon as time and money allows.

Nellas Elensar

I love Sea World, however I do feel some of the new shows in my opinion are a bit boring.An example, the old Cirque de la Mer show was really simple a really hysterical comedian with like 3 Cirque du Soleil style acts, but the comedian made the show and everytime I went to Sea World I would want to see that show.Now Odyssea replaced it and I can't sit through that show, it's way more professionally done but I find it way too long and boring and it also has a comedian who's horribly dull.

I still go to Sea World with my Platinum Annual pass and I love the park, it's beautiful, has IMHO the best coaster in Orlando and free beer.It's not a park I go very often but it's still one of my favorites!!!

the old Cirque de la Mer show was really simple a really hysterical comedian with like 3 Cirque du Soleil style acts, but the comedian made the show and everytime I went to Sea World I would want to see that show.Now Odyssea replaced it and I can't sit >>>>>>>

I only went to old Cirque one time cause I could not stand the comedian at the beginning and found the show a wanta be. I sat through this one on a hot summer day this year----comedian still is boring but sort of enjoyed it more than before-sons in their 20s said never again, though. We definitely go for the animals-probably why Animal Kingdom is my favorite Disney park, too.

But if I compare SW to the MK, I definitely go to more of the shows etc. than I do at the MK which I find dated and mundane since the shows/rides really haven't changed since they were built. I have to pay to get into SW and have free admission to MK anytime I want it(ever since the 80s), but end up going to SW more. Have to admit Wishes is definitely my favorite fireworks show, though.

Some people might not like the comedian in the old Cirque show,but I loved watching him making fun of the people coming into the theater and later when he sets up the boxing match with audience members, sure the rest of the show is a Cirque du Soleil wannabe but overall the show in my opinion was simply fun, the new show simply bores me.

I'm not sure why you're comparing Sea World and MK, they're totally different parks!! I've been going to the Disney parks like 15-20 times a year, compared to 4-5 times for Sea World and the Universal parks.Sea World's unimpressive new shows and Universal's lack of new attractions are why lately in Orlando I spend my time at Disney.I still go often to Busch Gardens cuz I need my coaster fix!!

I had read the thread "Never again Seaworld" and thought it was harsh and how could it be that bad?? Our last trip to SW was April 2001( note prior to 9/11/2001) and we LOVED it! In fact when collegues ask about what to see in Orlando I would say if you only have time for one park make it SW. How have things changed!!

1.Mystify. The "old" dolphin/whale show had much more interaction with the aniimals and was very funny as well. a Mom would pretend to be taking her DDs picture and fall into the tank! It really was a hoot. Now Mystifiy has some kind of disconnected story of a "girl" longing to play with the sea animals. The trainers/performers look stiff. The main "male" character really looked like he hated his job. It must have been a rough transition from being a Dolphin trainer to now "playing a part". There is a women who spins on a rope and tries to be a bird. Bad guys twirl on ropes and the occasion Dolphin jumps. It is such an attempt to be disneyfied its comical. The performers as well are availbe for autographs and pictures after the show.

Uh, Mystify is a fireworks show. Maybe if you were expecting dolphins and whales, that's why you didn't care for it that much.

It sounds like she is describing Blue Horizons. Which my kids liked. I was too hot at the time to give an opinion either way. Did anyone else notice that depending on which way the wind is blowing, those stadiums hold the hot, humid air like a sauna?

Whenever I go to Sea World I remind myself this a more laid back atmosphere. I can enjoy the things, its not Disney or Universal and I don't have to rush to enjoy anything if I get bored I can go for something a tad bit more fast paced like Kraken or a ride of some sort. If I have to much adrenaline and want to relax there is so much for me to do. Sea World can be just as enjoyable as you want it to be if you remind your self prior this is a Anhueser Busch park and not Disney and Universal, today will be relaxing. If you have that mind set then I promise you Sea World will be a enjoyable experience also remind your self its not the exact same park it was 10 or 20 years ago its slightly evolved. If you do that than your trip to Sea World will be awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter