Sorry to be so geeky, but Space 220 has gravity all wrong

Umm there are a lot of impossible things at Disney….. if Epcot got you stay away from pandora and Tatoonie in HS…..

but other than that what was the food like ?

How far away from earth would you need to be to get this view? It looks like somebody left a couple zeros off the elevator height.

Umm there are a lot of impossible things at Disney….. if Epcot got you stay away from pandora and Tatoonie in HS…..

but other than that what was the food like ?
I personally find this kind of attitude mildly offensive. Every fantasy world comes with its own rules and physics. This is part of the process of creating a great story. Sure, in many of the Disney worlds animals can talk. That is fine so long as it is part of the world created. When one sets out to create a specific world that has specific rules and then completly fails to follow those rules, you just have a bad story. It isn’t about being unable to get into fiction or enjoy a story, it is about expecting an author or creator or imagineer to do it well.

I personally find this kind of attitude mildly offensive. Every fantasy world comes with its own rules and physics. This is part of the process of creating a great story. Sure, in many of the Disney worlds animals can talk. That is fine so long as it is part of the world created. When one sets out to create a specific world that has specific rules and then completly fails to follow those rules, you just have a bad story. It isn’t about being unable to get into fiction or enjoy a story, it is about expecting an author or creator or imagineer to do it well.
Great but how was the food

Your are totally missing the fact that i was asking about the food….
So Disney got gravity wrong, have you never been to a movie where the good fires his 6 shooter 22 times without reloading, or a 1/4 drag race takes 60 second and they shift 9 times…. Stop being so critical… enjoy the bad magic,

Your are totally missing the fact that i was asking about the food….
So Disney got gravity wrong, have you never been to a movie where the good fires his 6 shooter 22 times without reloading, or a 1/4 drag race takes 60 second and they shift 9 times…. Stop being so critical… enjoy the bad magic,
I only replied to that post as it was the most recent but was grouping everyone who took that approach. Certain literary or imagineer standards should be upheld when creating a fictional world-its rarely a sign of good work when the best one can say is “everything is fine since it’s fiction.”

The food is not at all worth it, nor is the view out the window particularly captivating. It isnt extremely realistic looking but is straddling the line where they were clearly trying to make it look realistic (aside from some of the brief comic relief floating around), and the vast majority of what you see is just black windows. It is entertaining for a few minutes then just an overpriced chair with mediocre food. Been twice actually…same experience both times.

And yes, seeing Clint Eastwood (James bond etc) shooting more bullets than his gun can hold is irritating, but if his shoes fell off and his feet turned in to fish which swam him across the ocean at light speed while he spoke to fish, then on arriving across the ocean he then lept into the air turned his flesh into steel and crashed into the enemies headquarters, but then the movie continued as normal, I would have to accept it was now a comedy or it would ruin it for me. Minor quibbles such as number of bullets can be overlooked or explained away, major flaws in the physics of or nature of the fictional world are a different matter all together.

Better question for everyone that has been there….
Did the kids enjoy it…. did the adults acting like kids enjoy it….. cause at the end of the day that’s kinda the important part isn’t ?

I only replied to that post as it was the most recent but was grouping everyone who took that approach. Certain literary or imagineer standards should be upheld when creating a fictional world-its rarely a sign of good work when the best one can say is “everything is fine since it’s fiction.”

The food is not at all worth it, nor is the view out the window particularly captivating. It isnt extremely realistic looking but is straddling the line where they were clearly trying to make it look realistic (aside from some of the brief comic relief floating around), and the vast majority of what you see is just black windows. It is entertaining for a few minutes then just an overpriced chair with mediocre food. Been twice actually…same experience both times.

And yes, seeing Clint Eastwood (James bond etc) shooting more bullets than his gun can hold is irritating, but if his shoes fell off and his feet turned in to fish which swam him across the ocean at light speed while he spoke to fish, then on arriving across the ocean he then lept into the air turned his flesh into steel and crashed into the enemies headquarters, but then the movie continued as normal, I would have to accept it was now a comedy or it would ruin it for me. Minor quibbles such as number of bullets can be overlooked or explained away, major flaws in the physics of or nature of the fictional world are a different matter all together.
I got nothing for that logic….

Better question for everyone that has been there….
Did the kids enjoy it…. did the adults acting like kids enjoy it….. cause at the end of the day that’s kinda the important part isn’t ?
The kids did but they stopped really paying attention to the view pretty quickly. There just isn’t anything happening. As has been discussed in other threads, if you have multiple trips planned, money is not an issue, and someone is interested then it’s worth doing it once. But it’s not really anything particularly amazing. You wouldn’t want to plan a once in a year trip around it or anything like that, and definitely don’t stretch the budget for it.

The kids did but they stopped really paying attention to the view pretty quickly. There just isn’t anything happening. As has been discussed in other threads, if you have multiple trips planned, money is not an issue, and someone is interested then it’s worth doing it once. But it’s not really anything particularly amazing. You wouldn’t want to plan a once in a year trip around it or anything like that, and definitely don’t stretch the budget for it.
yea that’s what kids do … they have the attention span of well kids…
If it is worth doing once it will be a quiet hidden place to get lunch…. Or more likely Disney will put date it and Mickey will be in a space suit waiving at the kids….

I did a quick search to see if any fellow geeks out there had mentioned this already and did not see any threads on it.

I was fortunate to get an ADR for Space 220 last Saturday. My first time there. The whole experience is really cool. But they have their physics wrong! Any other tech geeks out there notice? Didn't anyone at Disney check with someone who knows their orbital mechanics? Heck, Space 220 is right next to Mission Space which had tons of input from NASA!

We were informed when we got on the space elevator that they had the "artificial gravity" working on Space 220. But one would not need artificial gravity on Space 220. When you are at 220 miles above Earth there is gravity. However, if you are moving at a high enough orbital velocity the centrifugal force would balance out the gravitational force - this would create a net zero-g and you would be floating like on the Space Station. That required orbital velocity is roughly 17,000 mph at 220 miles above Earth - the same velocity as any satellite orbiting the earth at 220 miles up. For the record, the formula is V*V/r where V is the orbital velocity and r is the radius of the orbit. r is not 220 miles but the distance to the Earth center - about 220 + 4,000 miles (actually about 3,959 miles) where 3,959 is the approximate radius of the Earth.

But Space 220 does not orbit the Earth. It is a space elevator and so rotates with the Earth. That is why the view out the Space 220 window never changes and you always remain over Central Florida. Gravity on Space 220 would be roughly the same as it is on Earth - near enough that you would not notice.

The floating astronauts in zero-g out the windows? They would not float. They would fall to Earth the same as on Earth's surface. They would need jet packs to stay floating outside the windows the same as they would out the window of your house.

I told my wife all this while we were on Space 220 but she was not impressed and thought I was ruining it all. Oh well!
The usual sour grapes from the staid US scientific community that it was Disney Imagineers who constructed the first space elevator. Amazes me Disney got the 220 mile transit time down to 50 seconds-the inertia dampeners for the lift compartments have to be marvels of engineering.
You worry about the gravity or lack thereof. I'll worry about the price. :(
If you are shopping this site will help but actually hard to beat Disney's costs. I believe Bezos throws in a free bag of Skittles. A recent ticket went for $2.8 million but I haven't checked Expedia.
https://www.blueorigin.com/news/ns-20-mission-updates

One thing to consider for personal safety is that when aliens attack the first targets are space elevators and when those babies come apart it is just a real darn mess.

Last edited:
The usual sour grapes from the staid US scientific community that it was Disney Imagineers who constructed the first space elevator. Amazes me Disney got the 220 mile transit time down to 50 seconds-the inertial dampeners for the lift compartments have to be marvels of engineering.

If you are shopping this site will help but actually hard to beat Disney's costs. I believe Bezos throws in a free bag of Skittles. A recent ticket went for $2.8 million but I haven't checked Expedia.
https://www.blueorigin.com/news/ns-20-mission-updates

One thing to consider for personal safety is that when aliens attack the first targets are space elevators and when those babies come apart it is just a real darn mess.
Perfect example of what I am talking about. I can appreciate your narrative here, however, if you had said that DISNEY was throwing in a free bag of skittles you would have completely lost me. Too far outside of the known laws of the universe for Disney, as it is known and presented in your narrative, to be adding on any perks or benefits. Well done.

EDIT: unless of course the skittles were distributed once you arrived in space, and there was an 8 hour line to collect, thus using up all your time in space to get your skittles.

I'm there now, what I thought was most unrealistic was the price I had to pay for the so-so food. I guess it's because they have to ship it up the elevator. 🤣

In answer to the food question, we decided to mostly focus on appetizers and drinks as our ADR was for 3PM and not during a regular meal time.

We thought it was so-so. One of the drinks my DW tried she thought was awful and sent it back for a different drink.

yea that’s what kids do … they have the attention span of well kids…
If it is worth doing once it will be a quiet hidden place to get lunch…. Or more likely Disney will put date it and Mickey will be in a space suit waiving at the kids….
I would say it is worth doing once. We were two adults. I would not prioritize it in the future.

And I will also say that the concept of "space elevators" of some sort have been discussed for many decades. So Disney is just playing off this concept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter