• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

South Beach Diet?

Bumping this back up for HappyMom2 that is headed towards the :beach: ,to see how everyone is doing, and to give a little update.

I find it very hard to "diet" in the summer, I need a predictable schedule and that flys out the window in the summer time. Even with the best of intentions I find myself in situations that I truly just have no good options. And frankly I find myself in a lot of situations where I don't want to resist temptation! My goal then was just to maintain or at least try to keep within 5 pounds of where I was. I am very happy to say that I have maintained exactly where I was when summer started.

We went on a cruise and I didn't gain anything. The food was good but not great so didn't end up "pigging out" like I had given myself permission to do. :rolleyes1 I have tried to maintain a balance all summer and realize that one day won't make or break me. If I decide to indulge a little today then as long as I make good choices over the next few days it won't kill me. And I also have tried to ask myself "is this REALLY worth it?". Sometimes the answer is yes so I enjoy it all, sometimes it is not really so I only have a few bites, and sometimes the answer is no and I walk away.

I have also been getting a whole lot of compliments from friends. No one seemed to notice until summer came (I guess the summer clothes?) but now just about everyone that I haven't seen in a while has noticed and of course that definitely makes me more resolved to get the additional 50 so pounds off. We are back to more of a routine so I am back trying to work on actual loss but until September I am still taking a relaxed approach.

So who is still sitting in the sand with me? :beach:

Hi! :)

I am starting the South Beach Diet tomorrow!

I had a heart attack in late July and was told my arteries looked fine and I did not have heart disease, but my 'good' cholesterol was only 20 :scared1: and losing weight would bring that up.

I'm 222.20- I was 215 in the beginning of August, but my 'calorie counting diet' didn't last long. I felt deprived, obviously, and didn't even know I was gaining weight back.

I just finished reading the book and have made my grocery list. I can't really 'clear' out my kitchen as I have 3 teenage boys. I'm gonna have to find discipline somewhere anyhow as I work in a chocolate store. (Yes, I do!)

I would appreciate any 'tales' regaling P1 and how to survive. :teacher:

thx

Sue :flower1:

I started this morning.

Had my omelet and turkey sausage.

I will probably not lose the 12 lbs everyone else does in phase 1 as I also have hypothyroidism. But who knows, heavier people than I have done well on it!

Weight 222.20

:welcome: !! Sorry to hear about the heart attack, but it sounds like you are taking very positive steps to make changes.

For Phase 1 my biggest advice is BEANS! Not sure how much research you have done beyond the book but many people experience what is referred to at the South Beach Flu during Phase 1. Tired, achy, dizzy, can't get out of bed and just feel crappy-- and it is from the lack of carbs. Beans are allowed on Phase 1 and are a great source of allowed carbs and fiber to fill you up. Not sugary baked beans but things like a healthy Navy Bean soup with veggies, or black bean soup. The SB book has a recipe for a Provincial White Bean Soup that I actually just tried yesterday and really liked. Going to use 2 cans of beans in it next time. I would suggest trying to have a serving of beans at least once if not 2x a day if you start feeling bad.

The purpose of Phase 1 is primarily to rid your body of the carb cravings. For some it really works, some don't have much trouble with those cravings. And my dr actually had me not start with Phase 1, but go straight into Phase 2 for health reasons. Phase 2 is the weight loss phase-- so don't worry about how much you lose on Phase 1, it isn't healthy to lose that much weight so fast anyway. As long as you are getting a healthy 1 or 2 pound loss in Phase 2 you are doing a great job.

Also in Phase 2 you can enjoy dark chocolate in moderation so plan on a splurge of a small amount of dark chocolate occasionally. I enjoy a Ghirardelli dark Chocolate square most every night.

Take a look at the Biggest Loser Fall Challenge thread near the top of this board--you can join in any time, and we are in the first week so it is a great time to jump in. It is an incredible source of support and accountability. Having somewhere to check into each day and get help and encouragement really is a great way to keep yourself on track.

Thanks so much!

Beans, ok THANK YOU :)

I bought black beans at BJs this past weekend. Will add them to my lunch and dinner.

I'll sign up on the other thread too.

I can understand the idea of not losing weight too fast, but it was a thrill to be 220.4 this morning!! Almost 2 pounds in one day??? Must be a fluke!

I know you're not supposed to calorie count but I did in myfitness pal and really only went over by 64 calories anyway.

It was only hard in the afternoon when I was packing chocolate gift boxes. I got thru it though!:thumbsup2

Yes, a heart attack at 46 is such a bummer! Lots of people are my weight at this age. Not sure why I got so lucky.:guilty:

Put some black beans on my salad yesterday. Next time I'm gonna use navy or garbanzo, they seemed to add too much flavor actually.

Cravings have not gone away yet! My son had nachos last night and I wanted to rip the bag out of his hand!

But- 218.6

This is wicked fast. Which is fine for now as I usually 'float' between 215 and 222. It's when I hit under 215 that I'll be really floored.

I usually plateau in previous attempts at weight lose around 213 or 211.

Need to add exercise though.

Put some black beans on my salad yesterday. Next time I'm gonna use navy or garbanzo, they seemed to add too much flavor actually.

Cravings have not gone away yet! My son had nachos last night and I wanted to rip the bag out of his hand!

But- 218.6

This is wicked fast. Which is fine for now as I usually 'float' between 215 and 222. It's when I hit under 215 that I'll be really floored.

I usually plateau in previous attempts at weight lose around 213 or 211.

Need to add exercise though.

:cheer2: Don't worry about previous attempts-- this is a new day, and a new you! :cheer2:

While Phase I will help with some cravings it isn't a miracle-- I could do Phase 1 for months but would still kill my daughters for their Oreos! Most of us got this way because we LOVE those kinds of foods and while our body may crave them less our brains still want them.

Did you get seasoned black beans or plain? It could be that if they were seasoned they had more flavor. I love to take a can of seasoned black beans throw it all in the blender (liquid and beans), puree and heat-- instant black bean soup. Add some light sour cream, a little cheddar cheese and maybe some avacado, green onions or whatever toppings you like for a quick and easy and filling soup.

This one is also easy:
5-can soup

1 can reduced fat chicken broth
1 can fat free refried beans
1 can rotel tomatoes w/chilies (drained)
1 can kidney beans (drained)
1 can black beans (drained)
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked and cubed

Mix all ingredients in a stock pot, heat and eat!! Add herbs or other seasonings to taste (but the spicy rotel tomatoes gives it a kick).

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water too. :thumbsup2 You are doing great. Phase I is only 2 weeks and you can do anything for 2 weeks. :)

:cheer2: Don't worry about previous attempts-- this is a new day, and a new you! :cheer2:
That's a great way to think about it! I want to be under 200 so bad that I can taste it! But I'm afraid of something and I don't know what.

I could do Phase 1 for months but would still kill my daughters for their Oreos!

:rotfl2: I'm picturing a situation where a mother's saying 'Give me the Oreos and no one gets hurt!' :rotfl2:

Most of us got this way because we LOVE those kinds of foods and while our body may crave them less our brains still want them.
I had to bake a cake yesterday for one of my DS's and the smell of the batter was soooooo fabulous, I wanted to drink it.

Did you get seasoned black beans or plain?

Plain and I have a case of them. I'll have to look for seasoned next time.

Water, water, water. Got it!

Thanks so much. I can't believe I made it this far!!!!

~byw 216.0 :cheer2:

Checking in to see how you are doing. :goodvibes

I need to do some meal planning and get our dinners figured out.

Hi!

211.4 :banana:

I have been weakening on the carb front. The week got busy and I didn't have my food planned so well since Friday, so I've been 211.4 since Friday. :(

It's psychological too, I think. I haven't been this low in years and I think I can't buy into it.

I'm afraid to start phase 2 but afraid not to- if you know what I mean!

If it has been 2 weeks then move on to phase 2. But go very slowly, introduce 1 carb at a time and see how you adjust. I would give myself about a week with one thing like piece of wheat toast at breakfast and see how I am doing then move on.

I am actually pushing back to Phase 1 for a week or two. I will probably have to have a little bit of carb or I won't even be able to get out of bed, but I am going to keep it very minimal.

Anyone else still on the beach? :beach:

I have been doing Phase 1 for a week and a half. Just a few more days to go. It has helped, I have lost about 3 pounds so far and am feeling less out of control.

Next week I will probably just add back my morning oatmeal as my only grain/starch based carb for the day and see how things go.

I was reading that Dr. Agatston has a new diet book coming out soon called "The South Beach Wake-Up Call". The doctor is concerned about Americans still gaining weight. Saw this mention about the new book.

"The South Beach Diet . . . improved"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/the-south-beach-diet-improved/

From the write up ~

In the South Beach Diet, Dr. Arthur Agatston brought legitimacy and mainstream popularity to the limited-carbohydrate notion. Cast into the spotlight of trendy, sexy South Beach, Miami, along with the weight-losing advantages of an Atkins-like carbohydrate restriction, many people lost weight, some substantially.

But the problem came in phases 2 and 3 of the South Beach Diet in which Dr. Agatston caved into conventional dogma and added back “healthy whole grains.” And that’s when many people regained the weight they lost . . . not to mention re-experienced all the health disruptive phenomena of wheat, such as acid reflux, leg edema, irritable bowel syndrome, migraine headaches, mental “fog” and depression, etc.

It appears that Dr. Agatston might be inching towards the notion that adding back “healthy whole grains” might not be such a good idea, after all. See his comments about “gluten sensitivity” on an interview here.

That is very interesting. I am interested to see what all he says in the new book. I do think that we are seeing/ realizing more and more cases of Gluten Sensitivity. I know that I personally have finally made the connection, after years and years of "dieting", between whole grains and my IBS flare ups. I always gave up the healthy eating when my insides became so messed up I had to go to a soft and bland diet for weeks until things settled down. We had to try a gluten free diet for my daughter last year and I went gf with her but neither of us noticed any difference. We determined we just have IBS.

When I went back on SB this year I am not having much in the way of whole grains. I am limiting my carbs or getting them primarily from other sources (beans, fruit, rice, potatoes, starchy veg). I have not had brown rice or whole grain cereal or breads and have done so much better. I do eat Kashi Go Lean Oatmeal which does have some whole grains in it but that small amount and the way that I cook it I haven't had a problem with it. So when I want pasta or bread or rice it is white, white, white. But I am really limiting it and I try to follow his advice and combine it with a protein. So I will have a slice of white bread with peanut butter for breakfast, or a small baked potato with a steak and a large serving of veggies. I had a hard time adjusting to the increase in veggies (fiber) at the beginning but they don't seem to affect my IBS so that is good.

Today I went wild and had a hot dog with only the thin part of the white bun-- that was my splurge!:rotfl:

Yes I am still around sort of... I have kind of been slacking. Did weight watchers for a bit. I follow south beach for the most part-have been incorporating some of Tosca Reno cleaning eating ideas

A couple of new recipes that I have been loving that fit right into the South Beach principles.

Portobello Mushroom crust pizza

butternut squash fries

I do feel better when I stay away from the wheat and sugar. I have also tried that Ezkezil sprout bread which is really good!

I made a large turkey on New years day and will be eating the turkey leftovers. did a good one last night.

2 cups of leftover turkey
8 oz low fat cream cheese
15 oz of salsa
1 medium fresh tomato chopped
1 red onion chopped
1 pepper chopped
1 can black beans

I threw it all in the crockpot for just an hour so that the cream cheese would melt! very good and tasty.

you could throw in brown rice if you are on phase 2 but this was so filling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter