• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

South Beach Diet?

Hi Everyone!

Still going full force with SB, I'm down 26 pounds since January & loving it!

Congratulations! I'm going to need to look for the Franks Buffalo Chicken stuff at the store next time -- that sounds delish. *drool*

Just wanted to throw in a "quick lunch suggestion" for the SB crew:

I'm a huge, huge fan of the whole wheat low-carb wraps. Tumaros and La Tortilla Factory make two quite tasty ones; I believe Tumaros is slightly lower in net carbs but both are under 6 for the large wraps.

Enough babbling, onto the "quick lunch" idea:

1. Warm a low-carb tortilla in the microwave with a slice of Jarlsberg cheese (or whatever you enjoy) for 10 seconds.
  2. Top with a couple slices of lean oven roasted turkey.
  3. Slather generously with Dijon mustard.
  4. Add a small smear of light cream cheese on the side of the tortilla.
  5. Throw on a heap of spring greens.
  6. Douse greens with a nice olive oil / vinegar.
  7. Roll it on up and stuff in your gob. Enjoy the yum.
:thumbsup2

I would like to join the club. I have done SB twice way in the past with good success. Since then my thyroid has gone out of wack and I quite smoking 4 years ago. So you can imagine. I am on medication for the thyroid. But I still gained 45 pounds pretty quickly. Last year I started a new job that has me on my feet a bit more and was able to lose 20 pounds over the last year. But now my weight has pretty much stabilized and just eating smart and exercise (I run at least 3 days a week and do cardio/weight type workouts 2 to 3 days a week) isn't cutting it anymore. DD is getting married in August and I swear that I am going to lose these last 25 pounds before then. The doctor has been hounding me about it too. I already don't eat refined flour or much sugar at all. But potatoes and too much whole wheat pasta are a major problems for me. I need a boost to get the rest of this weight off! I would start today, but we are going out of town this weekend. So Monday is going to see me on Phase 1 for at least two weeks. I would love to loose 10 of those pounds before our trip to WDW May 6th.

a couple of good evening desserts that my husband has really enjoyed.

1. peanut butter cups-melt a sugar free chocolate popsicle and add 2 tsp of SF peanut butter freeze... very good

2. mix in SF peanut butter into ricotta cheese

I am not much of desert person or needing my nightly snack-there is another another ricotta dessert one that is in the book as well.

I just ran down to my kitchen and melted a sugarfree fudgesicle and put 2t of PB in it. Can't wait till it is frozen! It sounds awesome.

One meal I love on Phase 1 is a type of chicken parmesan I made up. Using a pan that can go from stovetop to oven, I sauté chicken breasts in just a spray of olive oil till them are lightly browned on each side. Then I take a can of chopped tomatoes (I use the no salt added) and mix in to taste fresh grated garlic, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Then I spoon the tomato mixture on the chicken and cover and cook till the tomatoes are thoroughly hot. Remove from heat and top with shredded 2% mozzarella cheese. Then lightly broil the chicken till the cheese is brown and bubbly. I love this dish. It is great to do this with turkey burgers too.

Oh, and a great snack any time is hummus and veggies. I even have them for a quick breakfast every now and them.

I would like to join the club.

One meal I love on Phase 1 is a type of chicken parmesan I made up. Using a pan that can go from stovetop to oven, I sauté chicken breasts in just a spray of olive oil till them are lightly browned on each side. Then I take a can of chopped tomatoes (I use the no salt added) and mix in to taste fresh grated garlic, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Then I spoon the tomato mixture of the chicken and cover and cook till the tomatoes are thoroughly hot. Remove from heat and top with shredded 2% mozzarella cheese. Then lightly broil the chicken till the cheese is brown and bubbly. I love this dish. It is great to do this with turkey burgers too.

Oh, and a great snack any time is hummus and veggies. I even have them for a quick breakfast every now and them.

:welcome: eva !! That chicken sounds really yummy! On Phase 2 you can go ahead and add a little bit of pasta to it too. You could also get the already flavored crushed tomatoes to make it even quicker and easier, but they are better when you add your own spices. :) I think I may actually try this tomorrow!

I have some individual hummus cups in my fridge I keep forgetting to use. Never thought to have it for breakfast.

Have you joined the Biggest Loser Challenge? Some of us are doing that and finding it really helps to have the daily support and accountability here that it provides. We are moving from teams to individuals tomorrow, and it is really all in fun-- no one is voted off and no big prizes-- except a happier healthier you!

Have you joined the Biggest Loser Challenge? Some of us are doing that and finding it really helps to have the daily support and accountability here that it provides. We are moving from teams to individuals tomorrow, and it is really all in fun-- no one is voted off and no big prizes-- except a happier healthier you!

How do you join? We are starting the Biggest Loser at work the first week of April. But I wouldn't mind doing it here too.

How do you join? We are starting the Biggest Loser at work the first week of April. But I wouldn't mind doing it here too.

Just post on this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2615744 and say that you would like to join. We have been on teams (mickey and donald) but are merging to one group as of tomorrow. It will a bit crazy and chatty for a few days but it will slow down so don't be intimidated. You will be assigned a team for record keeping purposes but really we are all one big group as of tomorrow.

It is just for fun and support here. Read the first page of the thread and it explains it all. I will look for you over there! :)

Ok - we're at the end of week 1 and we're hanging in there. We both aren't having a whole lot of cravings. I'm doing a scrambled egg mixed with a cut up turkey sausage for breakfast. Lunch has been a lettuce roll-up...with either ham/cheese or turkey/cheese in it. Snacks...low fat string cheese or colby jack squares. Having almonds and some pistachios as a snack. Have stocked up on crystal light iced tea, and crystal light type mixers for bottled water to take on the go. Lots of salads. Was part of a conference at work where it was catered. Had a ton of left over shredded chicken and taco meat (part of a taco bar). I took some home (a lot of us did) and have been using this as filler in a lettuce wrap. Eating chicken breasts and a lot of fish with veggies at night. After reading the past posts, wish I had read them closer. I've had light-headedness and I'm going to get some black beans for our next meal. I never thought of chili...what a great idea! Eating veggies with each dinner...calliflower and brocolli mostly. I am still having my coffee with sugar and cream. I tried the sweeteners and just don't like them. My coffee is my "thing". Just one cup a day. Does it sound like we're doing it right? DH says he's lost 4 lbs. I think I may have lost about 3 (believe it or not, I've forgotten where I exactly started - geez!).

We've also picked up some zero calorie sugar-free popsicle/freezie things. Hope thats ok!

Ok - we're at the end of week 1 and we're hanging in there. We both aren't having a whole lot of cravings. I'm doing a scrambled egg mixed with a cut up turkey sausage for breakfast. Lunch has been a lettuce roll-up...with either ham/cheese or turkey/cheese in it. Snacks...low fat string cheese or colby jack squares. Having almonds and some pistachios as a snack. Have stocked up on crystal light iced tea, and crystal light type mixers for bottled water to take on the go. Lots of salads. Was part of a conference at work where it was catered. Had a ton of left over shredded chicken and taco meat (part of a taco bar). I took some home (a lot of us did) and have been using this as filler in a lettuce wrap. Eating chicken breasts and a lot of fish with veggies at night. After reading the past posts, wish I had read them closer. I've had light-headedness and I'm going to get some black beans for our next meal. I never thought of chili...what a great idea! Eating veggies with each dinner...calliflower and brocolli mostly. I am still having my coffee with sugar and cream. I tried the sweeteners and just don't like them. My coffee is my "thing". Just one cup a day. Does it sound like we're doing it right? DH says he's lost 4 lbs. I think I may have lost about 3 (believe it or not, I've forgotten where I exactly started - geez!).

We've also picked up some zero calorie sugar-free popsicle/freezie things. Hope thats ok!

You are doing AWESOME! :cheer2: That all sounds great. Get those beans and I think you will feel much better. And remember that Phase one is only 2 weeks so only one more week and then you can start adding in some fruits and grains (slowly) so you will have more variety.

Make sure you are drinking enough fluids. Water is the best but I do like to add the Crystal Light to mine too.

Way to go everyone--sounds like everyone is on plan & doing great! :thumbsup2

The recipes that everyone is sharing sound so good--definitely have to give them a try & add them to the rotation. I haven't tried any lo-carb wraps yet so I'll add them to my list too! As far as hummas--I tried it once & didn't like it (no idea on the brand/flavor). Are they all pretty much the same or is there one that is outstanding?

Well, my true test is coming up this week--we head to Disney mid-week followed by DCL for 4 nights. Hoping to keep things limited but do plan to have a good time--I'll plan to go back to phase 1 when I get back if I feel that I need it. So excited!

Good luck everyone!

The recipes that everyone is sharing sound so good--definitely have to give them a try & add them to the rotation. I haven't tried any lo-carb wraps yet so I'll add them to my list too! As far as hummas--I tried it once & didn't like it (no idea on the brand/flavor). Are they all pretty much the same or is there one that is outstanding?

Well, my true test is coming up this week--we head to Disney mid-week followed by DCL for 4 nights. Hoping to keep things limited but do plan to have a good time--I'll plan to go back to phase 1 when I get back if I feel that I need it. So excited!

Good luck everyone!

Have a great time! I am so jealous I still have over 5 weeks till we head down. But that gives me a bit more time to take some of this weight off. Always trying to look at the positive side of things!

One question: What is the line on dairy products for phase one? I only have the old book that I bought back in the 2003 and a newer cookbook. You couldn't do any milk products on the old version. I don't have the new and improved plan. What about fat free dairy? I love greek yogurt. And what about soy milk? I use the light soy milk in my coffee each morning.

:stir:If you like lattes, try: In a mug mix together 1/2c light soy milk, one Splenda packet, and 2T of your favorite sugar free syrup. My favorite is English Toffee. Then heat that mixture in the microwave till it just starts to bubble. Top off with coffee and enjoy. I love it! You can also try it with skim milk. But I find the soy milk is more creamy for a latte. During the holidays I used chocolate and peppermint syrups. You can also make a Sugar Daddy by using carmel and hazelnut syrups.

Good luck everyone!

I like homemade hummus. here is my recipe:

2 cloves of garlic
1 can reduced sodium garbanzo beans, reserve half the liquid
4 T Lemon Juice
2 T Tahini
1 t of salt
Pepper to Taste
2 T Olive Oil

Mince the garlic and put it in a blender with all ingredients, except the oil. Blend until mixed well. Add the oil while blending until the mixture is smooth. Sprinkle with a bit more pepper and pour a bit of olive oil over before serving. I think that the type of oil makes a big difference. Pick a good EVOO.

One question: What is the line on dairy products for phase one? I only have the old book that I bought back in the 90's and a newer cookbook. You couldn't do any milk products on the old version. I don't have the new and improved plan. What about fat free dairy? I love greek yogurt. And what about soy milk? I use the light soy milk in my coffee each morning.

Yeah, I've got the old book too. The new revised edition allows fat-free dairy in Phase One. (Can't remember the amounts per day). Oh, yummmmm. I definitely had Fage Fat Free Greek Yogurt during Phase 1. (With a little SF PB mixed in and a sprinkle of Splenda for good measure).

As far as hummas--I tried it once & didn't like it (no idea on the brand/flavor). Are they all pretty much the same or is there one that is outstanding?

I have been slowly warming up to hummus. I usually have it with celery and cucumber (not a big fan of cucumber either). I like a lot of garlic so there are some that have more or I can add my own. There are all sorts of flavored ones out there so you may have to try and see what you like best.

Have a great time at Disney! This style of eating should be a Way of Life for us, but then again, you have to enjoy life so the occasional splurges are no big deal. Just balance them out if you can and definitely go back to P1 when you get back if needed. No way I could go on a cruise and not enjoy all the wonderful foods and desserts!

I am traveling next week and will be at the mercy of those that are cooking with no input to what we are having. I will do my best and am also going to go back to P1 when we get back. DH is going to hide the scale from me and not let me weigh in for a week or two afterwards so I don't get discouraged over the inevitable gain.

One question: What is the line on dairy products for phase one? I only have the old book that I bought back in the 90's and a newer cookbook. You couldn't do any milk products on the old version. I don't have the new and improved plan. What about fat free dairy? I love greek yogurt. And what about soy milk? I use the light soy milk in my coffee each morning.

During the holidays I used chocolate and peppermint syrups. You can also make a Sugar Daddy by using carmel and hazelnut syrups.
Where do you find Sugar Free Chocolate and Peppermint syrups? A Peppermint Mocha is my favorite thing in the world and I would love to have some sf syrups to make it with, but I haven't found any.

If you look at the link I posted on the last page to the SB forum there are listings there under the board for each phase with the updated food lists and information. I have printed it all out and keep it handy.

Where do you find Sugar Free Chocolate and Peppermint syrups? A Peppermint Mocha is my favorite thing in the world and I would love to have some sf syrups to make it with, but I haven't found any.

Do you have a Cost Plus World Market near you, LTS?

I just nabbed sugar free coconut, hazelnut, French vanilla and black cherry syrups from them. They even have some of the versions in small bottles.

The black cherry is for our carb-free, adult "Cherry Lime Rickey": Gin/Vodka, SF Black Cherry Syrup mixed up into a tall glass of iced Lime LaCroix. :rolleyes1

Do you have a Cost Plus World Market near you, LTS?

I just nabbed sugar free coconut, hazelnut, French vanilla and black cherry syrups from them. They even have some of the versions in small bottles.

The black cherry is for our carb-free, adult "Cherry Lime Rickey": Gin/Vodka, SF Black Cherry Syrup mixed up into a tall glass of iced Lime LaCroix. :rolleyes1

Hmmm, I might. There is something like that next to our Costco so I will check that out. I am such a stick in the mud I only think to look for things at the grocery store. :rotfl:

If you look at the link I posted on the last page to the SB forum there are listings there under the board for each phase with the updated food lists and information. I have printed it all out and keep it handy.

A great independent coffee shop here in Peoria, IL has all kinds of regular and sugar free Torani syrups. They even have one called Almond Roca. It tastes like Butter Brickle. YUM! I sometimes mix the coconut and chocolate for an Almond Joy Latte. Use the vanilla or raspberry syrups to put on fruit. With berries it is like a dessert. You might try online too.

Thanks for the link. I'll go check it right now.

Quick question for the SB experts....

Is unsweetened almond milk allowed??

Thanks.........P

Thanks.........P

Hiya P,

I wouldn't count myself as an expert but I've done the low carb thing long enough to give you an unofficial answer. :laughing:

I looked up the carb count and it looks like it would be perfectly suitable for low carb/South Beach. Not sure of the brand but it said roughly 2 carbs per 8 oz. which is quite low; does that jive with your brand? Now you've got me curious about how it tastes!

Thanks.........P

I agree with Missoutandabout. You just need to check the carb and sugar content. A serving should be very low carb and definitely have <2g of sugar per serving. That is what they recommend for dressings and such too. I am drinking no sugar added light soy milk. Love it because it is creamier than fat free milk and makes great lattes. Plus it has <1g of sugar per cup.

Oh, and almond milk tastes pretty good. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have enough protein. Skim milk has 9g per cup. Soy milk has 6g per cup. But almond milk usually has only 1g per cup. So you really need to look elsewhere for a protein source.

DH talked me into waiting another week to start Phase 1. I had a lot of meals already planned for this past week and had the food already bought when I decided to hit Phase 1. So I am going to go grocery shopping Monday afternoon and really hit Phase 1 on Tuesday. But I was still able to lose 1.8 pounds this past week by doing mostly a Phase 2 diet. So I am still pretty happy. But I still want to lose another 8 to 10 pounds by our WDW trip May 6th. So I have 5 weeks to really hit home with food and exercise. Today is sunny with a high of 55. So I think that I am going to go for a run outside for the first time this year.

Hiya P,

I wouldn't count myself as an expert but I've done the low carb thing long enough to give you an unofficial answer. :laughing:

I looked up the carb count and it looks like it would be perfectly suitable for low carb/South Beach. Not sure of the brand but it said roughly 2 carbs per 8 oz. which is quite low; does that jive with your brand? Now you've got me curious about how it tastes!

I agree with Missoutandabout. You just need to check the carb and sugar content. A serving should be very low carb and definitely have <2g of sugar per serving. That is what they recommend for dressings and such too. I am drinking no sugar added light soy milk. Love it because it is creamier than fat free milk and makes great lattes. Plus it has <1g of sugar per cup.

Oh, and almond milk tastes pretty good. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have enough protein. Skim milk has 9g per cup. Soy milk has 6g per cup. But almond milk usually has only 1g per cup. So you really need to look elsewhere for a protein source.

DH talked me into waiting another week to start Phase 1. I had a lot of meals already planned for this past week and had the food already bought when I decided to hit Phase 1. So I am going to go grocery shopping Monday afternoon and really hit Phase 1 on Tuesday. But I was still able to lose 1.8 pounds this past week by doing mostly a Phase 2 diet. So I am still pretty happy. But I still want to lose another 8 to 10 pounds by our WDW trip May 6th. So I have 5 weeks to really hit home with food and exercise. Today is sunny with a high of 55. So I think that I am going to go for a run outside for the first time this year.

Thanks for the replies. Yup... 2 gr carb per serving. I enjoy the almond milk when I want a small cup of milk to drink or on oatmeal or cereal or sometimes in coffee. I don't worry too much about the protein because I am eating WAAAAY more protein then usual while doing this SB Phase 1. I actually chose the almond milk because I can have 1 cup of it for 1 Weight Watcher point as opposed to 2 points for a cup of 1% dairy milk. After 3 years and 3 months of nonstop Weight Watchers, I've definitely developed some tricks! ;)

Another question.....

Is there a specific NUMBER of carbs I shouldn't go over each day? I had two veggie burgers for dinner tonight, but neglected to notice that they are 7 gr. carbs each. Is that too many? I also had some jarred roasted red peppers that were 4 gr. carbs per serving (although they are vegetable carbs, so no biggie).

I figure since I am still tracking my WW points and not going over them, I'm not going to gain weight, but I really want to give this two weeks a full effort.

Thanks in advance!...............P

Thanks for the replies. Yup... 2 gr carb per serving. I enjoy the almond milk when I want a small cup of milk to drink or on oatmeal or cereal or sometimes in coffee. I don't worry too much about the protein because I am eating WAAAAY more protein then usual while doing this SB Phase 1. I actually chose the almond milk because I can have 1 cup of it for 1 Weight Watcher point as opposed to 2 points for a cup of 1% dairy milk. After 3 years and 3 months of nonstop Weight Watchers, I've definitely developed some tricks! ;)

Another question.....

Is there a specific NUMBER of carbs I shouldn't go over each day? I had two veggie burgers for dinner tonight, but neglected to notice that they are 7 gr. carbs each. Is that too many? I also had some jarred roasted red peppers that were 4 gr. carbs per serving (although they are vegetable carbs, so no biggie).

I figure since I am still tracking my WW points and not going over them, I'm not going to gain weight, but I really want to give this two weeks a full effort.

Thanks in advance!...............P

As far as I know there is no set number of carbs for each day. But there are foods that are not allowed. Unfortunately, veggie burgers are on the list to avoid. I think it is because many of them have grains in them. In phase 1 that is a no-no. The number of carbs is not the only factor that the SB diet looks at. It also looks at the amount of sugar and most important is where it falls on the Glycemic Index. But if you are staying in your points, you are probably still going to lose.

I hope everyone is having a great week! I finally started Phase 1 on Tuesday. Good thing! I gained back a pound from last week over the weekend. But with two days under my belt, I am so happy to see that pound go away - plus another one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter