South Beach Diet?

Hi everyone. I would love to join this thread. I found the WISH boards thanks to Kathryn from this thread. I am a disser who only had hung out in the cruise line boards before. :)
I have been doing South Beach for about a month. I am getting a bit frustrated though. Which ofcourse leads to cheating! Actually I am doing pretty well sticking to the diet, with a bit of added sugars in some items (such as vanilla greek yogurt) or for dessert (ie light whipped cream on my fruit). I guess I am on phase 1.5. I am having a good carb with breakfast, maybe a good carb with dinner, and fruit for dessert. I only lost 3 pounds on phase 1 and now 5 total in 4 weeks. But pretty much nothing for the last week or more. I do think South Beach is GREAT. I am not snacking at night like I was, and I know I have lost some around my middle (I am back to not squeezing into my fat pants) but I want to buy new clothes for my cruise in a month. Just have to stick it out I guess. I am not worried about sticking to the diet on our cruise, there are enough options. But we are going to Disney first and I am worried about there. We usually eat breakfast on the run and only in the fast food places while we are there. That will be hard! Have a great day everyone.

Doing much better than last week, which was week 1 of Phase 1. Exactly as I expected though. No more shakes or headaches -- at least headaches caused by lack of carbs anyway. ;) Hubby's lost more than me on week one -- how dare he! :mad: (kidding)

It's funny; I found the old calendar from 2003 showing our weight loss journey when we did Atkins. The weights and measurements were almost identical to when we started last week.

I'm already looking forward to my initial "add back" foods. We're going to start with the low-carb wheat tortillas (4 net carbs, I think). I remember having those back on our first diet. The thought of oatmeal is LOVELY! I've already bought some steel-cut oats in preparation; going to wait until week 2 of Phase 2 before we add that back if all's well and our weight loss continues. Just to have another option for breakfast (oatmeal) and a versatile grain option with the tortillas will make life easier.

Hope everyone is doing well! :goodvibes

Have a couple questions some of you experts might know the answer to:

• Which recipe for crack slaw are y'all using? I've found one via Google which said it was modified, just curious what the original one was.
  • Is there any truth to "eating higher carb snacks, like fruit, nearer to your bed-time"? Not sure where I read this. I guess the logic is, that if your blood sugar were to spike, then inevitably dive, that you wouldn't suffer from the desire to binge because you'd likely be asleep when it happens. Anyone else heard of this or follow this advice? Enquiring minds want to know!
  • Which leads me to this question, which fruits did you add back first?

Cheers! :thumbsup2

Last night I had my first banana (I'm in about week 3 of phase 2). I am trying different fruits for dessert (usually with a little light whipped cream). I found this great recipe yesterday. Slice a banana length wise and top with 1tsp brown sugar (you could use brown splenda, I'm going to do 1/2 tsp brown sugar next time). Broil until bubbly. Sprinkle with cinnamon (I drizzled a little sugar free chocolate syrup). It was sooo good! Found a recipe for banana "icecream" I am going to try tonight.
I am now down 6 pounds. It's been 4.5 weeks, so a little slow. But my measurements are way down. Probably wont meet my 10 pound goal by the 30th for our cruise, but hope to buy a few new things anyway.

Have a couple questions some of you experts might know the answer to:

• Is there any truth to "eating higher carb snacks, like fruit, nearer to your bed-time"? Not sure where I read this. I guess the logic is, that if your blood sugar were to spike, then inevitably dive, that you wouldn't suffer from the desire to binge because you'd likely be asleep when it happens. Anyone else heard of this or follow this advice? Enquiring minds want to know! I am finding that true for me. I am saving my fruit for dessert. I am also having a piece of cheese (or some other protein) before bed, but saving the fruit for dessert seems to work better for me. I know they new south beach book does not recommend fruit at breakfast. But later in the day. They do recommend a good grain at breakfast.
  • Which leads me to this question, which fruits did you add back first?
I read somewhere to try berries (lower on the gylcemic index. Search for a list, I found one that lists fruits in order just now (Not sure if we can post links here) I did strawberries, apple, orange, and banana. Go slow and see which ones you can handle without cravings. Also, the book says never to have pinapple or watermelon, as they are highest on the list.

Cheers! :thumbsup2

Search for a list, I found one that lists fruits in order just now (Not sure if we can post links here)
Please do post the link! As long as you don't profit financially from the link (like a link to a book you wrote or a blog where you get paid for each click) and you aren't only posting on the boards to promote your link (which you aren't) then you may post whatever you like (as long as it is within board guidelines-- no bad language or non family friendly sites)

I have to run but I am really interested to see the sight you found. :)

Wooo, thanks Michele! :woohoo: That's excellent info. I've bookmarked that page regarding the glycemic index for fruit -- that's going to come in quite handy for when we start adding fruit.

And thanks for telling me about the grains at breakfast, fruit in the afternoon/evening, I've only got the original book so not sure it mentions it. It does make sense though.

Glad it helps. Does his original book mention how much fiber the breads should have? If not I will dig that info out. Also, I do know his newer book has you adding in food much slower than the old one. I have gone even slower, another board calls it phase 1.5. Now on week 3 of phase 2 I am only having a grain at breakfast (bread for me), fruit for dessert and maybe a grain at dinner. If I up it more I wasn't loosing.

Oh the banana "icecream" was so good!!! I just had to tell you all :) I have really been missing my frozen yogurt after dinner. This is great, and I really like that it doesn't take yogurt, since I like to have that as a snack.
Banana "Ice cream"
Peel, slice and freeze 1 small banana. Place frozen banan pieces in a blender with 3 T milk. Blend until thick. Top with 1 T chopped nuts (I did drizzle of chocolate syrup and light whipped cream).
Yummy!!! Half was enough for me. I put the rest back in the freezer and will see how that turns out.

I read another version of this with frozen banana, yogurt, milk, chocolate syrup and PB. I am going to try it without the yogurt.

Glad it helps. Does his original book mention how much fiber the breads should have? If not I will dig that info out. Also, I do know his newer book has you adding in food much slower than the old one. I have gone even slower, another board calls it phase 1.5. Now on week 3 of phase 2 I am only having a grain at breakfast (bread for me), fruit for dessert and maybe a grain at dinner. If I up it more I wasn't loosing.

Had a flip-through last night (original version) and I didn't notice if it did. That would be a handy reference to have though. The wraps I've got waiting for us when we hit Phase 2 have 4g of fiber each. I think we'll keep it at one new item per week, hoping that'll be slow enough!

a couple of good evening desserts that my husband has really enjoyed.

1. peanut butter cups-melt a sugar free chocolate popsicle and add 2 tsp of SF peanut butter freeze... very good

2. mix in SF peanut butter into ricotta cheese

I am not much of desert person or needing my nightly snack-there is another another ricotta dessert one that is in the book as well.

Thanks for those, Tree.

I love, *love* that we're now in Phase 2. First thing Monday morning, we had our eggs in a wrap. I think our next addition will be a little red wine on Friday night. :rolleyes1

As long as all things go well, I'm really looking forward to adding some steel-cut oatmeal in for breakfast. Can't remember who mentioned in here, but making up a big batch then just reheating it in individual portions for breakfast sounds FABULOUS! Need a serious break from all the eggs. That'll come next week I hope.

I'm so happy to find this thread! I started the South Beach Diet about 3 weeks ago, but have gone way off track since. I did Phase I for one week before heading to Las Vegas and that is where I fell off the band wagon. I lost 7 pounds the first week and maintained my weight the second. I know for a fact that I probably have put all my weight back on by now. I'm afraid to weigh myself.

I have to say that this is the first diet I have ever tried where after about a week- I felt great and didn't feel fatigued. I'm anxious to start over, but this time stick to it. Has anyone ever used the South Beach Diet website? Is it worth the money? I have the most recent supercharged book and found it really easy and helpful.

I'm hoping to look decent and feel super healthy by the end of April when I go to Vero Beach and WDW. I'm just praying I won't gain every pound back while there! Good luck to everyone here on the disboards!

I was away for the weekend and despite a valiant effort my attempts to stick to SB were shot all to heck! Not enough good choices available (no veggies!) and too many high fat things. I came back up 3 pounds. BUT, I jumped right back to Phase 1 and have been drinking water like a fish and today I am back to my weight from Friday.

I think that is what is important to remember. This is a way of life, but if you get sidetracked just jump right back on to it as soon as you can and keep on going.
I started the South Beach Diet about 3 weeks ago, but have gone way off track since. I did Phase I for one week before heading to Las Vegas and that is where I fell off the band wagon. I lost 7 pounds the first week and maintained my weight the second. I know for a fact that I probably have put all my weight back on by now. I'm afraid to weigh myself.
You really do need to have a few stable weeks to do your two weeks in Phase 1 and get settled in to Phase 2. Do it now and you will see some results by the end of April. But Phase 1 is really not meant for weight loss (although that is sometimes a great side effect) but is for breaking the carb cravings and getting your body ready for Phase 2. Then you should be aiming for 1 or 2 pounds a week for a healthy, sustainable weight loss. :)

Good Luck and let us know how you are doing!

I was away for the weekend and despite a valiant effort my attempts to stick to SB were shot all to heck! Not enough good choices available (no veggies!) and too many high fat things. I came back up 3 pounds. BUT, I jumped right back to Phase 1 and have been drinking water like a fish and today I am back to my weight from Friday.

I think that is what is important to remember. This is a way of life, but if you get sidetracked just jump right back on to it as soon as you can and keep on going.

You really do need to have a few stable weeks to do your two weeks in Phase 1 and get settled in to Phase 2. Do it now and you will see some results by the end of April. But Phase 1 is really not meant for weight loss (although that is sometimes a great side effect) but is for breaking the carb cravings and getting your body ready for Phase 2. Then you should be aiming for 1 or 2 pounds a week for a healthy, sustainable weight loss. :)

Good Luck and let us know how you are doing!

Thank you sooo much for the encouragement!:hug: Good luck to you as well. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread!:thumbsup2 Have a great day!

Lovetoscrap: Our resident SB guru! You had mentioned oatmeal, right? Or am I remembering wrong? If that was you, just wondering how much of a portion you have for breakfast?

So far, we've added back whole wheat low carb wraps and shirataki noodles.

I'm undecided whether to add back oatmeal -- to give our breakfast a bit more variation. Or go with some fruit, like strawberries.

What I really need to do is stay away from the flippin' scale! :rolleyes1

Lovetoscrap: Our resident SB guru! You had mentioned oatmeal, right? Or am I remembering wrong? If that was you, just wondering how much of a portion you have for breakfast?

So far, we've added back whole wheat low carb wraps and shirataki noodles.

I'm undecided whether to add back oatmeal -- to give our breakfast a bit more variation. Or go with some fruit, like strawberries.

What I really need to do is stay away from the flippin' scale! :rolleyes1

Love my oatmeal! I like it better than fruit for breakfast because fruit is mostly sugar (good sugar) and will cause your blood sugar to peak and drop rapidly. Oatmeal is a whole grain-- steel cut oats are the best but I have yet to make them because they take a long time to cook and I am lazy. I use regular Quaker Oats. I will make 4-6 servings (by the box) at one time and then refrigerate the rest to eat the rest of the week. I add a little milk to it and heat in the microwave. Honestly I really don't measure my portion because I can't eat a whole lot. By eyeball I think I probably get about 1/2- 3/4 cup a morning. And I use a small amount of Splenda Blend brown sugar in them. But adding the fruit TO the oatmeal is a good thing. The whole grain slows down your digestion so that the sugar from the fruit isn't dumped into your system all at once. A T of peanut butter is also good in oatmeal because that adds protein which also sustains blood sugar. I usually have yogurt for a mid morning snack to give that protein boost. (and I HATE yogurt!)

If you can find it pick up some Kashi Go Lean OATMEAL-- I like the Honey Cinnamon flavor, there is also a Vanilla flavor. It is full of whole grains and it is a small serving but it fills me up like nothing else. Some people really don't like it but I love the flavor. It is in "instant" packets but you don't cook it like instant oatmeal by adding hot water. You have to cook it in the water in the microwave. What ever you do, don't get instant oatmeal! It is already refined to the point that it is mostly digested and won't keep you feeling full. Of course if your choice is instant oatmeal or a donut (sometimes the choices at a hotel breakfast bar) then certainly the oatmeal is the best option but you want to avoid instant all you can.

I have done SB enough over the last few years that I have a good idea how my body reacts to certain foods. In the beginning of Phase 2 (or in Phase 1.5 as some call it) you are sort of testing the limits. If I eat 3 carbs a day will my weight loss slow? Can I have a half cup of oatmeal and feel full until lunch/snack or do I need to have 3/4 or a whole cup? Strict SB groupies will say that the Splenda Blend Brown Sugar is NOT okay because it still has regular sugar in it-- but it doesn't affect my weight loss in small (tiny) amounts and I can't stand the full fake stuff. So you have to experiment and see what works and what doesn't. As you add things back make sure you are journaling everything so if you have a week where the loss stops you can see what is different and make adjustments.

I also don't give up my French Vanilla creamer-- full fat and sugar. But I only use a T or two in my coffee once a day and it doesn't slow my weight loss. If I was drinking 3-4 cups a day with it then it would probably make a difference but I don't. It makes me happy, keeps me from feeling deprived, and keeps me from killing people-- so it is a good thing!:laughing:

Hey everyone. DH and I want to start the South Beach diet. Question - both of us are coffee drinkings at about a rate of 2 cups a day. I cannot stand the taste of fake sweeteners whether it be in foods or sugar. We both drink our coffee with fat-free cream and regular sugar. Can we do this diet and still maintain drinking coffee?

Hey everyone. DH and I want to start the South Beach diet. Question - both of us are coffee drinkings at about a rate of 2 cups a day. I cannot stand the taste of fake sweeteners whether it be in foods or sugar. We both drink our coffee with fat-free cream and regular sugar. Can we do this diet and still maintain drinking coffee?

According to the "rules" of the diet-- no. However I have International Delight French Vanilla Creamer-- full fat and sugar in my coffee every morning and have lost 37 pounds and still going. I do limit myself to one cup a day (usually ;) ) So my advice is to go ahead but if you aren't seeing any changes to the scale then you may need to rethink it. But as long as you are "on program" in all other areas then you should be just fine.

Great to have you on the Beach!:beach: Let us know how things are going, if you have any questions, and if you find any great recipes to share. :)

Hi Everyone!

Still going full force with SB, I'm down 26 pounds since January & loving it!

LovetoScap--thanks for the tips on oatmeal, great suggestions & ones that I plan to try. :thumbsup2 I picked up some of the steel cut oats on sale this week for St Patty's day & have heard that they turn out pretty good if you put them in the crockpot overnight. I'll give it a shot this week & let everyone know how it turns out.

Mickeysgal--welcome to the group! Wishing you & DH lots of sucess with this, love the SB plan! The hardest part is getting into a routine, make sure you have all your SB food & snacks ready to go so you stay on plan. I'm sure everyone has their weakness that you just can't give up, moderation is the key & learning what your triggers are. You'll be amazed at how the cravings disappear once you get going on Phase 1!

My new recipe that I came up with is to saute some chunked chicken breast until cooked thru, then toss in some Franks Buffalo Chicken Sauce to taste & just a touch of crumbled blue cheese. Yum!

Everyone hang in there--we can do it! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter