Southwest adds charge to board sooner

The thing is, you MAY get NOTHING for your $10 but a C pass.

This thing is a stinker. If everyone would just wise up and refuse to pay it, we'd all be better off.

That SW can still run their "bags fly free" ads shows they are as cynical as every other airline.

I hesitate to comment, but after reading all 24 previous pages, I feel . . . well, "entitled." - LOL!!! :rotfl2:

I am the proud mother of 2 children (ages 4yrs and 7mon) and the things I am reading make me appalled. :eek: I have flown extensively with DD (4) and already twice with DS (7 mo). Most recently, we flew SW. We did family preboarding but *did* end up splitting because the flight was a continuation and many seats were already taken. While I would love to have been with DD and DH, we all just took it in stride, very happy to be on our way (to Vegas that time). I cared for the baby and DH for DD. No one was put out, no one raised a question about "rights" or people moving any of the other things I have seen some people claim to be entitled. We grabbed our seats, buckled up and enjoyed the flight. :rolleyes:

I guess my take is best summed up by this: you get what you pay for. In some cases that is very clear. If you would like to pay for the first class ticket, or on SWA -Business Select, then you know for sure that (barring some unfortunate delay or flight cancellation whereby you are forced to fly on another flight etc) you will be able to pick your seat and board early, then pay the extra money and do so. Otherwise, select the airline/fare that is best for your needs or pocketbook. Please note, however, what is included. Simply put, for most of us, what we are actually purchasing is transportation to/from another city in a pretty safe manner with decent accommodations for our comfort and well being. It may include luggage (SWA) or not (others), family boarding or not, seat assignments, drinks/snacks or not. When you buy anything, extras generally cost more. Parents especially need to be aware and plan accordingly when they are buying their tickets so that they can reasonably insure the safety, well being and peace of mind of flying with their children. Planning in advance and a grateful attitude are always helpful in travel. Assistance from other passengers, was not purchased and if received should be accepted with sheer gratitude as they were not obligated to do anything -from picking up a dropped binkie to changing seats! And certainly they are not required to put themselves in uncomfortable or sacrificial positions for another's behalf- yet many do! (Bless them!) :goodvibes

That said, there is a certain amount of surprise at how SW has rolled out these new "options" but I don't really see a better way, unfortunately. It is not a policy that could be grandfathered in for passengers who booked before a certain date as it would not be applied evenly. Perhaps they could have waited until the new schedule opened. . . I don't know. It is what it is. If you are aware of it now and so not plan to use it, I completely understand your objections. But please do not berate or harass those people who *do* choose to pay for the auto check-in to gain a better position in the boarding queue. It is just not nice.

Now, can't we all just try to be considerate of others and thankful for the "offers" of strangers rather than demanding ill perceived rights? :grouphug:

Bavaria- I am shocked at the unthinkable behavior you have described. I too have seen similar exchanges as we travel extensively. I hope to some day have the pleasure of traveling with you as I *think and hope* my children would make me proud of their behavior. :flower3: We have flown extensively with our DD (transcontinental and transpacific) and we have only had praise at how well behaved she is on the plane. Our son has also done well, but he is a little young yet to say it is an ingrained 'behavior." Our next trip is in Oct so I guess we shall see. :rolleyes1

I hesitate to comment, but after reading all 24 previous pages, I feel . . . well, "entitled." - LOL!!! :rotfl2:

I am the proud mother of 2 children (ages 4yrs and 7mon) and the things I am reading make me appalled. :eek: I have flown extensively with DD (4) and already twice with DS (7 mo). Most recently, we flew SW. We did family preboarding but *did* end up splitting because the flight was a continuation and many seats were already taken. While I would love to have been with DD and DH, we all just took it in stride, very happy to be on our way (to Vegas that time). I cared for the baby and DH for DD. No one was put out, no one raised a question about "rights" or people moving any of the other things I have seen some people claim to be entitled. We grabbed our seats, buckled up and enjoyed the flight. :rolleyes:

I guess my take is best summed up by this: you get what you pay for. In some cases that is very clear. If you would like to pay for the first class ticket, or on SWA -Business Select, then you know for sure that (barring some unfortunate delay or flight cancellation whereby you are forced to fly on another flight etc) you will be able to pick your seat and board early, then pay the extra money and do so. Otherwise, select the airline/fare that is best for your needs or pocketbook. Please note, however, what is included. Simply put, for most of us, what we are actually purchasing is transportation to/from another city in a pretty safe manner with decent accommodations for our comfort and well being. It may include luggage (SWA) or not (others), family boarding or not, seat assignments, drinks/snacks or not. When you buy anything, extras generally cost more. Parents especially need to be aware and plan accordingly when they are buying their tickets so that they can reasonably insure the safety, well being and peace of mind of flying with their children. Planning in advance and a grateful attitude are always helpful in travel. Assistance from other passengers, was not purchased and if received should be accepted with sheer gratitude as they were not obligated to do anything -from picking up a dropped binkie to changing seats! And certainly they are not required to put themselves in uncomfortable or sacrificial positions for another's behalf- yet many do! (Bless them!) :goodvibes

That said, there is a certain amount of surprise at how SW has rolled out these new "options" but I don't really see a better way, unfortunately. It is not a policy that could be grandfathered in for passengers who booked before a certain date as it would not be applied evenly. Perhaps they could have waited until the new schedule opened. . . I don't know. It is what it is. If you are aware of it now and so not plan to use it, I completely understand your objections. But please do not berate or harass those people who *do* choose to pay for the auto check-in to gain a better position in the boarding queue. It is just not nice.

Now, can't we all just try to be considerate of others and thankful for the "offers" of strangers rather than demanding ill perceived rights? :grouphug:

Bavaria- I am shocked at the unthinkable behavior you have described. I too have seen similar exchanges as we travel extensively. I hope to some day have the pleasure of traveling with you as I *think and hope* my children would make me proud of their behavior. :flower3: We have flown extensively with our DD (transcontinental and transpacific) and we have only had praise at how well behaved she is on the plane. Our son has also done well, but he is a little young yet to say it is an ingrained 'behavior." Our next trip is in Oct so I guess we shall see. :rolleyes1

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. I have never, nor do I ever anticipate asking anyone to move for me. I do not think it is fair that someone should move into a new seat so that I could have a better one.

In that flight to Vegas that you took, you actually were able to sit with your family and did not have to make any sacrifices. Your children each had an adult to sit with. Would you have felt comfortable if your 4 year old was 5 and had to sit by herself? Perhaps you would have, but I really would not have felt comfortable in that situation. I do not "need" to sit near my dh, but I would like for each of us to be able to sit near our children.

I have four children so it is much more difficult to find a combination of seats that allow for us to sit together. It has been stated by many that they are not necessarily mad about paying a fee for better seats. It is upsetting that while they may pay that fee, they still may not get a great boarding number.

SW has made it financially easier for us to travel, but it does cause quite a bit of anxiety too. Obviously a lot of people do not like how they do things. As seen on this thread, people without children are angry that families get some preferential treatment and the people with children are unhappy as well.

We flew Jet Blue a few months ago and what a different feeling it was boarding the plane. It was so nice knowing where everyone was sitting.

Actually, I think DD would do all right, but I hope I wouldn't be too many rows apart. ;) I have actually been in the row behind her once flying just the two of us (on SW), but that proximity was essentially like being next to her except she was talking to a very nice grandmother for most of the trip or coloring. She was 3 if I am remembering correctly. I certainly would not think that to be the norm, especially for first- time or infrequent fliers. DD has just flown so many times, it is like riding in the car for her. I consider myself very blessed (and hopeful that the baby will turn into an equally good traveler). Actually, the both kids already travel quite a bit better than DH! :rotfl2:

With all due respect, I don't understand the correlation of comparing your knee injury to someone who is complaining about SW charging $10 for a better shot at a good boarding pass number. There is always someone who has it worse than you (you meaning general you), so trying to one up each other's pain does not seem to be an appropriate way of resolving this issue.

Perhaps I missed where someone was complaining about medical pre-boarders? If so, then I apologize b/c of course those with medical needs should always be permitted to pre-board.

The fact is, this system is new, and we will all have to see how it plays out.

There are 7 of us flying SW this weekend, and we are living on the edge and not purchasing the EBCI. I'm hoping for the best, but will not pout if we end up with C passes!

If that happens, we'll just demand that everyone move so we can all sit together in the exit rows. *snicker*

(I think it's obvious that I'm joking, but just in case I'll make it clear....yes I'm joking!! LOL!)

The reason I brought up my knee is I was speaking of personal responsibility and fairness. I CAN board early, but when it's not necessary, I won't. IMHO that is a responsible attitude and as fair as I can be to my fellow passengers.

You CAN buy an Early Bird and if you don't....don't whine. Accept the possibility of a center seat and not sitting together with your party.

You think the truth is rude...so be it.

I WILL say that if you will be upset by not sitting with your child - perhaps you should consider making the responsible choice. Sitting with your child is no biggie....than no worries about the Early Bird.

I personally think people planning to not pay the fee but expecting someone who DID to move is far more rude.

I am talking about people standing up and being personally responsible for their decisions. That's all.

Nicely put... and, FWIW, your previous post wasn't rude.

:goodvibes

The reason I brought up my knee is I was speaking of personal responsibility and fairness. I CAN board early, but when it's not necessary, I won't. IMHO that is a responsible attitude and as fair as I can be to my fellow passengers.

You CAN buy an Early Bird and if you don't....don't whine. Accept the possibility of a center seat and not sitting together with your party.

You think the truth is rude...so be it.

I WILL say that if you will be upset by not sitting with your child - perhaps you should consider making the responsible choice. Sitting with your child is no biggie....than no worries about the Early Bird.

I personally think people planning to not pay the fee but expecting someone who DID to move is far more rude.

I am talking about people standing up and being personally responsible for their decisions. That's all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter