Southwest adds charge to board sooner

They can and will. There's no reason another party should have to break up just becuase you chose not to pay for the advanced boarding.
. . . absolutely
. . . if worried, pay the fee
. . . don't say people can't afford the $10 per person per flight
. . . if they can afford a Disney vacation, they can afford the fee
. . . or, check-in exactly 24-hrs before the flight, like most others do
. . . there is no entitlement

They cannot allow young children to sit without a parent
. . . yes, they can
. . . there is no rule abnout separating families

Just jumped on this thread in the middle of something. Just booked our October flight for family of four. I chose to use Air Tran because the "ding" just has not been Dinging in my area. I have flown SW about 8 times with my DD and DGD. I always made it a quest to get an "A" pass by being on line exactly 24 hours before the flight. The other assurance was that DGD was in a stroller and they would always let my DD on with her first. THEN SW change to boarding one parent with a child on AFTER the 'A people. Now I seem to be hearing something else. With that said, I was so disappointed not to have booked SW tonight, but now I am happy I went with another and got the seats ahead of time. Safe travels to all of us in any event

. . . absolutely

. . . yes, they can

Ouch and true....................

Relax all I have flown with SWA for years and have NEVER seen a family separated as the flight attendants are really good about asking and helping move people around if need be so someone’s child does not sit alone.

Besides not EVERYONE is eligible for this program anyway….;)

Funny as everyone does not even blink an eye when EVERY OTHER airline charges for a baggage fee and SWA doesn’t but they start this program and they are the evil airlines……:confused3

I was told on our last Southwest flight that we would not be separated because any child under 12 had to be seated with an accompanying adult for safety reasons, in the event of an emergency the accompanying adult would be responsible for caring for them (oxygen etc).

Absolutely untrue.

We've flown Delta for years and were considering SW for next year's trip because of the luggage fee on Delta. I would likely pay the fee on SW, so now I guess it's just choosing $40 to sit together on SW or $45 to check our luggage on Delta.

We usually fly Northwest to Orlando (now its Delta). We go over a Minnesota school break in October and the plane is full of famlies. I also travel to Orlando on business. Families are broken up all the time - mine was (fortunately, someone switched so my four year old did not have to sit alone, but the flight attendant said that if no one switched there was nothing they could do). We've sat next to kids whose parents are rows away. When I fly for business, I'm always switching my aisle seat so someone can sit next to their kid (and getting squished in a center seat somewhere else - not why I book early).

Airlines seperate families all the time - on some flights I've been on to Orlando there is simply no way to not break up some families - because almost EVERYONE has kids - or grandparents.

Really, if you are afraid you'll be split up and can't afford the $100 fee to ensure you are all sitting together, maybe you shouldn't be going on vacation.

And this is why I always say "Yes, please!" when they ask me if I want to upgrade. :) Big comfy seats.

To be honest I think SW has a stinky seating system. I find it stressful to make sure that we all sit together. Would I pay the extra to make sure that we do? Yes. Would I be happy about it? No. I would rather go back to the old days when you had assigned seats.

This is not true. A child may be seated anywhere relative to his or her traveling companions. Sitting several rows ahead of or behind your child doesn't constitute 'being separated' - though I'm sure the lack of proximity bothers you.

I was told on our last Southwest flight that we would not be separated because any child under 12 had to be seated with an accompanying adult for safety reasons, in the event of an emergency the accompanying adult would be responsible for caring for them (oxygen etc).

Oh wow I am glad we are flying Delta and already have our seat numbers because I would be so upset if I couldn't be near my 2 and 3 year old.

I think the real shame about this is that they changed it with so very little warning. When Northwest went to charged bags, anyone who had bought a ticket under the old terms still got their free bag. This is being sprung on people - which is a poor move on SWs part. It isn't a big deal to choose your airline based on price and perks (well, its is a big deal, its needlessly complicated), but people flying now bought there tickets under a different understanding of how it worked - and might have flown a different airline if these terms had been in place at purchase.

My guess is, however, they wouldn't have. Southwest's fares are usually so much lower than the competition and they cater to the price concious shopper that I'm willing to bet they won't see any falloff in travel. Paying an extra $10 to board early and choose your seats isn't a lot of money when Delta changes you $50 more for the same destination and charges for your baggage. But the current travelers aren't even being given the choice.

To be fair, I think that most of us are just tired of being bullied and threatened (which does happen regularly here and in real life) because some people feel that they don't want to pay for a seat but the fact that they have children trumps every other situation.

Just imagine how uncomfortable a situation it would make for someone like honugirl - she has a definite and definable need, chooses the seat which meets her need, but someone assumes by her appearance that she can (and should) move. It happens all the time. She shouldn't have to explain herself or her needs, and nor should anyone else. (Sorry to single you out honugirl, :hug: but it really irks me to see people make assumptions or think that their need trumps someone else's needs. You have a need, and hopefully you won't ever find yourself in such a situation when you fly)

There are tactics which one can use to ask passengers to move to another seat, including what others have listed. Threatening and bullying won't work as effectively as asking or offering some form of incentive, be it a better seat, a beverage, or just a polite request.

But I agree - there is no law requiring airlines in America to force passengers to move to seat families together. The best option is to be proactive and pay the seat selection fee, or early boarding fee. If you don't want to do that, assume that there is a risk that you won't have seats together, and prepare a strategy to request assistance from others.

Happy flying!

I agree with you. I wasn't trying to be snarky about the transportation boards, I was trying to point out that nobody on the plane is less entitled to thier seat than the OP and her daughter.

Me thinking the OP's methods are rather impolite aside, I think the buden of common sense here rests with the airlines. A 4 year old flying seperated from her accompanying family member is not a good experience for anyone-the child or the people stuck sitting with her. I think the airlines need a better way to accomodate families with young children. Perhaps thier reservations system could require age information, and for families with children under 5, force the the seat selection or a spot in the "A" boarding group? I don't know. What I do know is that as a customer I reset having to pay an extra $40/flight just becuase my kids are little and need to sit close to me/DH. There has to be a better solution that is cheap for the airline but offers a common sense alternative for families without inconvienancing other travellers.

We're flying NWA this trip and I was allowed to select our seats. Actually NWA's system automatically sat our whole party together. I'd a thousand times prefer to pay to check a peice of luggage than risk my 2 year old being seated alone.

well I just checked SW policy on children and they do not allow children under the age of 5 to travel alone (obviously) so with that being the case I would imagine they would bend over backwards to keep parent and child together. Though it's true that there is no written guarantee, they do state that they are happy to help you all get a seat together. I'm not too sure why so many people seem so hostile about this, with any child under 5, seating parent and child together is for the safety and comfort of EVERYONE on the plane.

I don't expect that my 9 and 12 year old nieces should HAVE to sit with their parents - they are old enough to sit by themselves, and I don't expect someone with a disability to give up their seat for me and my kids, but I do think it should be common courtesy to give up your seat so that a parent and a young child can sit together, just like I am more then willing to give up my seat on a bus to an elderly person or pregnant person so they don't have to stand - they need it more than me - its just the right thing to do.

I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and I would be in an absolute panic if they couldn't be with either my husband or me and had to sit with strangers, my daughter is terrified of take off and forcing her to sit with strangers during that would be cruel.

Yes we could pay the extra fee to ensure we all sit together, but I don't think we should have to, just like people with disabilities don't have to - and obviously SW agrees because they do have a boarding before most everyone else that is just for parents with a child 4 or under. I have always flown SW and have even recently flown it, with the new business class thing in effect and have never had trouble finding at least two sets of seats together - fortunately most people are kind and accommodating and actually for the most part, we usually never even have to ask someone if they would change because there are usually plenty of seats when we get on, and yes we have flown to orlando before too, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I agree with you. I wasn't trying to be snarky about the transportation boards, I was trying to point out that nobody on the plane is less entitled to thier seat than the OP and her daughter.

Sorry to have misread you - it is so rare to read anyone agreeing with me on this website :)

But for years we read 'I shouldn't have to pay the fee/don't want to pay the fee/refuse to pay the fee' and then people stress about not sitting with their kids. Do they really expect those who DID pay a seating fee to move because they chose NOT to pay? (I know the answer to that question - it is 'yes'. I read it here and see it in real life)

No matter how many times it is said, some readers seem to think that the airlines WILL force others to move, and that doesn't always happen. There are many stories here and elsewhere of families who didn't sit next to their kids during the flight.

I once found myself on the SW airlines of India. When I was seated, I realised that I was in the midst of a family group, and that there were two children split up by me. I offered to move so that they could sit together, and the entire family was absolutely mortified that they had placed a stranger in such a situation that they would move to meet their needs. Quite the opposite of what I read here.

Again, if anyone is concerned about seating arrangements, pay the fee, regardless of the airline. If you choose not to pay the fee, you really cannot expect anyone else to move for you, especially if others were proactive and did pay the fee to ensure their comfort or security.

. . . absolutely

. . . yes, they can

Ok, so they are going to make my 21 month old son sit by himself? My autistic 6 yr old will be thrilled to know that, And I'm sure those sitting next to him will enjoy thier ear being talked off, and next time I fly, I wont fly the airline that forces me to be seperated from my children. And No. I will NOT pay the fee. nope. not going to happen. I get nickled and dimed everywhere else.

I'm glad I read this thread, as we are booked on SW for our trip the end of the month and I did not know this was going on. :eek:

I would rather pay the fee and ensure that we are seated together since my DDs are 4 1/2 and would completely freak out if we couldn't find seats for everybody. I still come out ahead of the game traveling this way compared to the other NS flight with baggage charges I was looking at on Delta.

That being said, I would like to think that we live in a world where there would be at least a couple of people on a full flight that would be willing to change seats for a family with young children...if they were asked nicely!! No forcing, no guilt trips, no being devious. Just ask!:flower3:

Ok, so they are going to make my 21 month old son sit by himself? My autistic 6 yr old will be thrilled to know that, And I'm sure those sitting next to him will enjoy thier ear being talked off, and next time I fly, I wont fly the airline that forces me to be seperated from my children. And No. I will NOT pay the fee. nope. not going to happen. I get nickled and dimed everywhere else.

So now a question for you....

If you DID choose to pay the fee, and you were seated in a row with your kids, would you move because another parent DIDN'T pay the fee and DIDN't get seats together? I suspect that your answer would be 'no'.

And yes, there is no rule and no law which requires people to move. You do have a choice - to deplane and fly later. In all the years I read here I asked if anyone has ever done this (besides me, I do it quite often at my own expense if I cannot get a seat which works for me) Only once has anyone ever said that they deplaned and flew at a later time.

You really cannot expect other people to do what you yourself would not do.

That being said, I would like to think that we live in a world where there would be at least a couple of people on a full flight that would be willing to change seats for a family with young children...if they were asked nicely!! No forcing, no guilt trips, no being devious. Just ask!:flower3:

Equally, I would like to think that we live in a world where a parent would do everything possible to sit with their child. Like pay the fee that other people paid in order to board earlier. It is a two way street.

So now a question for you....

If you DID choose to pay the fee, and you were seated in a row with your kids, would you move because another parent DIDN'T pay the fee and DIDN't get seats together? I suspect that your answer would be 'no'.

And yes, there is no rule and no law which requires people to move. You do have a choice - to deplane and fly later. In all the years I read here I asked if anyone has ever done this (besides me, I do it quite often at my own expense if I cannot get a seat which works for me) Only once has anyone ever said that they deplaned and flew at a later time.

You really cannot expect other people to do what you yourself would not do.

Just so you now know TWO people. I have deplaned and flown later. Only twice, but I have done it.

Once, actually, it was to allow a parent to sit with their child. Okay, it was more so that not everyone on the plane had to be inconvenienced by the moronic parent - took the child on as a lap child, but then stuck their child in my seat and wouldn't move them. The plane was full and short of sitting on the child or having security come and forcibly move the child, my only option was to deplane. In follow up with the airline (which they initiated), I was told that he parent had their return flight revoked and was no longer allowed to book a "lap child".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter