Southwest adds charge to board sooner

So now a question for you....

If you DID choose to pay the fee, and you were seated in a row with your kids, would you move because another parent DIDN'T pay the fee and DIDN't get seats together? I suspect that your answer would be 'no'.

And yes, there is no rule and no law which requires people to move. You do have a choice - to deplane and fly later. In all the years I read here I asked if anyone has ever done this (besides me, I do it quite often at my own expense if I cannot get a seat which works for me) Only once has anyone ever said that they deplaned and flew at a later time.

You really cannot expect other people to do what you yourself would not do.

Rows of three seats. I have two children. plus me. What available seat do I not know about? My husband will sit somewhere else and he'll sit anywhere.

I wont pay a fee.

So what if 98% of the people on the plane pay the fee. Who's entitled then?

Equally, I would like to think that we live in a world where a parent would do everything possible to sit with their child. Like pay the fee that other people paid in order to board earlier. It is a two way street.

Nickle and dimed. Enough is enough. so would you be willing in Disney to pay $10 a day more to your hotel room of choice? $10 to get seating at every ADR. $5 per fastpass, $10 per person for EMH? Its the principle.

Ok, so they are going to make my 21 month old son sit by himself? My autistic 6 yr old will be thrilled to know that, And I'm sure those sitting next to him will enjoy thier ear being talked off, and next time I fly, I wont fly the airline that forces me to be seperated from my children. And No. I will NOT pay the fee. nope. not going to happen. I get nickled and dimed everywhere else.

That is what they make ear plugs for! Seriously if I was sitting next to a 6 year old that kept talking I would nicely ask them to be quiet and then I would just go to sleep and ignore them. Or read my book and ignore them, it isn't that hard to do.

And if I paid for the privilege of picking my seat there is no way I'm moving. It is up to YOU to do what you have to do to sit where you feel you need to not mine and not the airlines.

Just so you now know TWO people. I have deplaned and flown later. Only twice, but I have done it.

Once, actually, it was to allow a parent to sit with their child. Okay, it was more so that not everyone on the plane had to be inconvenienced by the moronic parent - took the child on as a lap child, but then stuck their child in my seat and wouldn't move them. The plane was full and short of sitting on the child or having security come and forcibly move the child, my only option was to deplane. In follow up with the airline (which they initiated), I was told that he parent had their return flight revoked and was no longer allowed to book a "lap child".

Now that parent is a moron and you are a better person then I am to get off the plane and not fight it with that woman.

Rows of three seats. I have two children. plus me. What available seat do I not know about? My husband will sit somewhere else and he'll sit anywhere.

I wont pay a fee.

So what if 98% of the people on the plane pay the fee. Who's entitled then?

SW will assign the order based on fare class and time of purchase. They (the computer) makes that decision.

People who choose not to pay a fee really cannot expect other passengers to take responsibility for their decision. What gives you the right to decide that you have more needs than someone else? On leisure flights there are higher percentages of families, older travellers, first time flyers, special needs flyers. You have no idea of anyone else's situation, and to make your issue someone else's issue simply isn't fair.

Most people are reasonable and willing to assist, but it is attitidues of entitlement that does put people off. Almost every week someone demands my seat by saying 'MOVE!', or physically pushing me, seat poaching ie sitting in my seat before I arrive, or telling me that my needs don't matter to them. Combine that with the posts that I read here, and I am a little less sympathetic to those passengers who failed to ensure that they could have seats together and yet expect that others will be put out for them.

You say that you feel nickled and dimed, so you won't pay the fee. Don't you think that other people also feel nickled and dimed? Yet if they do choose to do something to ensure better seats, why should you take precedence over them?

Nickle and dimed. Enough is enough. so would you be willing in Disney to pay $10 a day more to your hotel room of choice? $10 to get seating at every ADR. $5 per fastpass, $10 per person for EMH? Its the principle.

I have no problem with you not paying. I have a HUGE problem with you not paying put expecting other people to move for you. It is the principle.

If sitting beside your child is not worth $10 to you then it isn't worth getting out of the seat that I choose for me.

This just seems like a bad idea, all around.

Also, if I remember correctly, on most of the flights from Kansas City to Orlando, families are not allowed to board early. If they did that, then the entire plane would be boarding early......how's THAT going to work in KC?

Also, they've got to cap the early boarding b/c what if the entire plane pays the fee???? And if you've paid the fee, then moved for someone who didn't pay the fee, are you going to get a refund???

Cattle call boarding is fast and everything, but it's about time SWA follows suit and goes to assigned seats.......

Hubby and I (and DS, if he's been with us!) got separated on our last flight from Orlando but that's b/c we forgot to check in and got stuck at the end of the B's.

Besides not EVERYONE is eligible for this program anyway….;)

Funny as everyone does not even blink an eye when EVERY OTHER airline charges for a baggage fee and SWA doesn’t but they start this program and they are the evil airlines……:confused3

Passengers who purchase a business select ticket aren't "eligible" for this program, they already get priority BPs. Unaccompanied minors aren't eligible for this program, they get to pre-board. Virtually every other passenger is eligible. Even passengers who booked a DING fare are eligible.

The difference is SW is marketing itself as a "no fee" airline.

Airlines are unbundling airfare. Passengers need to include the cost of any "extras" they'll need when comparing airfares. Include the cost to check a bag, seat assignment or a SW EB check in if you're going to need those services.

We may be getting to the point where passengers who don't pay extra for assigned seats, or priority boarding, will have to assume they'll wind up in middle seats.

Passengers who chose not to pay extra forfeit the right to be upset if they don't sit next to their spouse or other family members. SW still has family mid-boarding. Famlies with young children will still sit next to their young child without paying extra. Parents with older children, many airlines, may have to pay extra if they want to be assured of sitting next to their child.

I'm not going to move from an aisle seat to a middle seat to accomodate a parent, who didn't want to pay extra, who wants to sit next to 10 year old.

I have 4 people in my family....2 adults and 2 children (3 and 1)

We try to sit 2 and 2 in front of eachother.

So couldn't I pay the extra 10 bucks for me and my one DS. But me in one row and DS in the row behind me. And wait for DH and other DS. That way I am not paying 40 bucks each way???:confused3

Although me not having to deal w/ either ds sounds tempting :rotfl: j.k.

I have 4 people in my family....2 adults and 2 children (3 and 1)

We try to sit 2 and 2 in front of eachother.

So couldn't I pay the extra 10 bucks for me and my one DS. But me in one row and DS in the row behind me. And wait for DH and other DS. That way I am not paying 40 bucks each way???:confused3

Although me not having to deal w/ either ds sounds tempting :rotfl: j.k.

You can, but what if two people come on and sit in the row that you are sitting in? You would no longer be able to sit two people in front of two people.

Wow, hasn't this become quite the drama thread.

I'm really biting my tongue here because I refuse to argue w/ anyone on a *Disney* site.

You can, but what if two people come on and sit in the row that you are sitting in? You would no longer be able to sit two people in front of two people.

Well i'd only really have to be worried about one seat because I will need to be installing my other ds's car seat while I am there. So potentially I could get my two DS ready in my row and have a bag on another seat and hope for the best. I have never had a problem w/ a flight got to the airport lat once and boarded after C. I really am not gonna worry about this.

I can actually see both points of view. I don't want to pay extra for every little thing. Especially when I have to pay for it five times(once for each seat).

But I can't expect people who do pay to have to move for me.

The airlines are just creating a bunch of problems by now charging for those things called "extras" but should really be part of your ticket price.

While I would love to have any and all of my three kids sitting next to other people:-)yay:vacation for mommy), I realize it my responsibility to take care of my own kids.

Sometimes it is just easier to pack up the car and drive. Even if it does take 21 hours.:car:

I've always been a huge fan of SW and we try to fly with them on every trip our family takes. However, I can't say I'm thrilled about this change. I bought my tickets (3 adults, 3 children) several months ago, and at that time chose to go with SW because they had the lowest price based on no fees. I could have chosen Air Tran instead, but the price would have been $50 more.

Now SW has changed their boarding policies 2 weeks before our next trip. If it was just dh and I, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, we have 3 young kids and I really would prefer that at least one adult in our party sits beside one child (mainly on the slim chance there is an emergency or a kid gets sick). If I choose to pay the $60 each way earlybird fee, then the cost of my flights go up by $120 and there is still no guarantee we will be able to sit together (and the flights would have been cheaper with another carrier.) I guess my biggest problem is the lack of notice (I only found out about this change by reading the dis boards).

I have decided to pay $60 for our return flight out of MCO and hope that we are towards the front of the line. However, if on this trip we see problems with our family being able to sit together, then we will probably just start flying on a different carrier that allows you to reserve seats ahead of time. This will definitely factor in when I price future flights and compare airlines!

By the way, I found some of the posts on this discussion were a little sad when it comes to people's attitudes about families and young children. I would have thought common courtesy would prompt people to give up their seat if it meant a child could sit next to a parent.

Southwest can and will have your child over the age of five sit in a different row if the seats are not available together. I fly several times each month for work and I will not move my seat for a family that feels entitled to aseat that I paid for. I have two boys and they have had to sit in different rows on several flights, most recently during our last trip to Orlando we had A boarding passes and still could not get 3 seats together as the plane had come in from another airport.

If you are worried about sitting together pay the 10 dollars, but if you don't pay please don't expect people to move to accomodate you. Depending on the situation and how I am approached I will move, but don't expect it.

I've always been a huge fan of SW and we try to fly with them on every trip our family takes. However, I can't say I'm thrilled about this change. I bought my tickets (3 adults, 3 children) several months ago, and at that time chose to go with SW because they had the lowest price based on no fees. I could have chosen Air Tran instead, but the price would have been $50 more.

Now SW has changed their boarding policies 2 weeks before our next trip. If it was just dh and I, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, we have 3 young kids and I really would prefer that at least one adult in our party sits beside one child (mainly on the slim chance there is an emergency or a kid gets sick). If I choose to pay the $60 each way earlybird fee, then the cost of my flights go up by $120 and there is still no guarantee we will be able to sit together (and the flights would have been cheaper with another carrier.) I guess my biggest problem is the lack of notice (I only found out about this change by reading the dis boards).

I have decided to pay $60 for our return flight out of MCO and hope that we are towards the front of the line. However, if on this trip we see problems with our family being able to sit together, then we will probably just start flying on a different carrier that allows you to reserve seats ahead of time. This will definitely factor in when I price future flights and compare airlines!

By the way, I found some of the posts on this discussion were a little sad when it comes to people's attitudes about families and young children. I would have thought common courtesy would prompt people to give up their seat if it meant a child could sit next to a parent.

Wow! We have two very young children and fly often and I would never think that 'common courtesy' would prompt a person to move their seat so that I could sit with my child.:confused3 Everyone on the plane has the right to sit where they choose and they should not have to give their seat up to a parent with a young child. We will pay the fee if we choose to fly Southwest again (but honestly Airtran has better rates now that we have to factor in the $10 fee). I know why people on this thread are aggitated when it comes to families with young children.:rolleyes1

And I think that it is sad that some families don't consider other passengers and their needs, and expect that the fact that they have children overrides other people's situations.

Respect goes both ways. You cannot demand respect from others if you fail to give it in return.

Before expecting or demanding that another passenger move, consider that they too may have needs, and they are fully within their rights to decline to move. That doesn't make them a bad person, it just means that like you, they chose to consider their own needs before your needs.

Everyone has the same opportunity to pay the fee; if they choose not to, they may have to deal with the consequences.

The reason for my concern is not that I think I deserve better treatment and should get it for free than another person who pays for it. My issue and the reason I called SW for clarification is because if I need to pay the $10 to gurantee that both of my very young kids get to sit with one of their parents that is fine; however based on the way this new procedure is written, hypothetical I could pay the fee for everyone (for every person in my party - not talking about seat saving) and still end up with late B or C passes and not be able to have an adult with each of my very young children. I am not trying to get out of the fee - if I could pay the $10pp ($80 total) and guarantee it - well for me that would be the end of it. My understanding from the SW agents is that the $10 fee doesn't give me any guarantee of an A or even an early B, but the family preboard between A and B gives me the security that my 2 young boys won't have to ride alone....I was just looking for clarification because I don't like imposing on other people or asking for favors or playing on the kindness of strangers, on the contrary I try to overplan to make sure to avoid awkward situations such as this. But lets say if SW didn't have the family boarding and I pay the $10 for each person and the computer assigns me with the late B or C passes - there are no 2 seats together, what should I do with my shy 2 yo or how about my 4 yo who gets a little skiddish during take offs and landings - leave them in the care of strangers? If it were just my husband or I or we had older kids - no big sweat, but infants and toddlers or kids with special needs? If that was the case and if they switched to that than I would fly a different airline that assigned seats.

I'm surprised that no one seem to be upset at the airlines for this apparent issue. Why is it I pay for a flight and I don't actually get assigned a seat on that flight? Airlines have a requirement that car seats are in window seats so as to not block anyone from exiting the plane in an emergency.. but yet they won't automatically assign you an appropriate seat to fullfill that requirement.

Rather than getting upset with families that are attempting to keep their children happy/safe and calm on a flight by sitting next to them..(yes most 5 year olds are not all that independent to fly alone)..take it up with the airlines that aren't providing you with a seat even though you paid for one by paying for the flight.

In my example, I'd like to clarify that I tried to pay the 'Fee" for assigned seats and there are virtually no seats together for the return flight. none, nadda, zippo. For those of you that would refuse to move because you paid your 10 dollars..do I offer you double? Shall the seat go to the highest bidder?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter