Space 220…any reviews yet?

...The restaurant itself had such a strange smell, I couldn’t stop thinking shout it during our lunch....
We dined there on Sunday (12/19) and periodically we got the scent of the burning town within the Pirates of the Caribbean ride or what you would imagine the scent of the Smart (Chinese) soda from Club Cool would be like based upon what it tasted like. Not sure where it can from...

We had dinner at Space 220 on 12/16. First they tried to seat us at a high bar table adjacent to the bar, I said no to that, if I’d wanted to perch on a high chair next to the bar I would have saved myself a lot of money and just done the lounge. Plus the table was crammed so close to the table next to it that the woman at the edge of that table didn’t fit & was basically half sitting at our table.
They moved us down to a regular table on the second tier next to the stairs down to the lower tier - lots of folks from the lounge posing for photos on the stairs. Needless to say I was not impressed. Although I liked the space screens, the younger more techie members of our party were not impressed with them. The food was edible but not impressive in any way. I usually give restaurants a second shot - but trying to cram dinner guests into what is clearly a lounge table suggests poor management to me, so I’ll give them some time to get their act together before I waste my money there again.

We ate there for lunch Thanksgiving week. My DS really wanted to see the restaurant so we snagged a reservation. It’s a cool place but I was a bit let down by the atmosphere. The food was very good. Steak and the potatoes were yummy. We were offered dessert at an additional price. It was super yummy but supper small and super super pricey. I doubt we will go again but no regrets going the first time. We are not fans of sci-fi. We have tried to like it but just don’t.

That’s unfortunate to hear. We purchased $200 in gift cards specifically to use here - Space 220 was listed when we purchased, as you said. I took screenshots that day of it even listed as accepting the bonus cards next year.
I just took a screenshot of their web page stating which restaurants accept the gift cards and Space 220 is NOT on it! 633947

The tempura Cauliflower and deviled eggs were amazing. My husband liked his steak, I didn’t so much. And my 4 children’s meals were nothing to write home about. Other than the tempura cauliflower and deviled eggs, I wouldn’t order anything there again. But it was a cool one time experience.

Thanks for all of your advice! Very mixed bag, which I was expecting. My grandkids are 6 and 4. They are Star War fans, so they might really enjoy the space theme. My 3 boys always loved the theming of Sci Fi when they were kids. I check several times a day to see if options open. 2 weeks from today! We have not been in 7 years and don’t plan to go any time in the future.

We ate there on 12/22 for dinner. Somehow got seated at the best table - up high in the corner with a view of everything. Was easily the best meal we had during out week there. Wife had the calamari and fillet mignon and I had the burrata and short rib. Kids had chicken tenders and fries. It was also easily the most expensive meal of the week, but everyone had a great time. For dessert had the sticky toffee pudding and chocolate cheesecake. Both were excellent. The kids had the chocolate cupcakes and they were very good as well. I had read the mixed reviews and was very pleasantly surprised.

Just wanted to share my experience on the restaurant/decor. We were there in December as well and came away disappointed.

Disney is supposedly top-tier, having gone "all-in" on projection systems, but this particular implementation left SO much to be desired. The projection of the earth out the "window" was way too low of a resolution, and was literally just a static picture. The clouds didn't even move (my screensaver from 2005 had dynamic clouds, sheesh), and there were no lighting changes, airplanes/contrails, or anything. There was also no moon, which should have been slowly transiting occasionally. The other thing that really bothered me is that we weren't rotating against the star field. It was static as well! The stars should have definitely been slowly moving and we should have been able to see recognizable constellations if they wanted to give even a modicum of realism to this effect, which they were obviously trying to do! Instead, it looks like they just wired in some crappy old pre-2000 fiber optic "stars" in random places on the wall. I don't know, maybe those were projected too, and if so, all the more reason they should have been moving and in a familiar configuration.

Finally, the graphics of the astronauts and ships outside the window were definitely on-par with video games from about 2012 or so. The quality, resolution, and frame rate of these graphical objects were also sub-par, and their rendering was frequently glitchy! It's Disney, and so we know they can do SO MUCH BETTER, and our expectations were high, going in.

The entrance/exit elevator was pretty cool, and done a lot better than the projection window. One more indication that they *can* do better, but just didn't or weren't able to for some reason.

The furniture in the restaurant was mostly bland and uninteresting, though there was some mildly interesting "space cutlery" that I haven't seen around before.

The food was okay but not memorable.

I unfortunately will not be going back, especially considering the high price.

(P.S. -- I also do not like the direction WDW has been taking in moving so many restaurants to a "pre fixe" menu now.)

My brother and I had lunch there on 12/31. For apps I had the Cauliflower and he had the Galaxy Grain Salad. We found both of these enjoyable. For the entree I had the Free-range Chicken and he had the Bluehouse Salmon. We both enjoyed all the food that we ordered and had no issues with either taste, presentation, quality or service.
We were seated at the lower tier towards the left hand side. This worked out well for us because a lot of the effects ( walking dog, space ships, asteroid) happened a number of times in our viewing area. While this did not bowl us over it was an enjoyable addition to our meal. We chose this location because we wanted a different experience than other dining choices offered and I think it fit the bill.
Would I do it again - Yes, for lunch. Would I do it every trip - no. There are other choices that offer an equal measure of food quality at a lower cost and the effects of this location are not enough to make it a "must do".

If you do decide to take the younger kids there, do not order the disgusting blue cotton candy flavored drink (both kids took 1 sip and that was it). Also, make sure you get the free cards with the kids drinks and adult specialty drink. Our waiter didn’t bring out any despite reminding. Wait to enter was 30 mins; barely 7-8 tables were being served when we walked in.

Calamari and Barrata were excellent. Fish was outstanding. Steak was so wobbly (well done) that my wrist hurt from cutting it; barely ate half, was the worst cut (June trip Topolinos served a bad cut on two occasions so that’s off our list as well; Nov 2020 the filet was delicious and we could cut with our forks-so no we didn’t imagine this). Desserts too sweet/sour; except chocolate mousse. It was my actual birthday and they didn’t have the special ordered dessert neither did they offer any alternatives. Despite noting allergies and submitting a form weeks in advance, they had very little to offer our son (fixed menu, no flexibility; no dessert for him; a lot like CRT). 2+ hour meal, missed fireworks, an apology but no offer to make things better.

Touring plans reservation finder had many openings towards the end of our trip (disappointed guests cancelling the end of the week) but everyone screamed ‘no way’. We might try it as a lounge for appetizers only.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter