Spending money?

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the replies. I’ve been using a savings app and it has helped me so much for this trip. I might have more than $1k saved for spending when we leave but i just don’t want to count on it since it’s not for sure. I will definitely have the $1k. Hopeful now that it is plenty. ❤️❤️

It should be more than enough. Have fun! I'm sure it will be a memorable trip!

Thanks for asking this question! We are similar boat...first time excitement, big trip. We are taking our 13 yr old and trying to set an amount for her to control/spend. 5 park days, I put $100 on a Disney GC for her to use. Dad and I have $500 to spend (tips, one OOP Garden Grill breakfast, small souvenirs, any misc snacks not DDP covered, and a couple of gifts for adult kids not coming). I am hoping that's enough. We MIGHT go over just a bit, and I'm thinking I should've budgeted a bit more for the adult Gift Card.

It depends. I was down at Disney for a work conference and spent three evenings in the parks. I racked up about $700 in souvenirs and food personally plus expensed about $200 in food.

I know this depends on the person etc. but tell me your experience.

We are going to WDW early Jan. It is me and my two kids (11 and 6 year old girls) and my best friend (but she is paying for herself).

We are staying at the GF for 6 days. We have Hopper tickets and Dining plan.

I work a lot and this vacation is so much for the kids. It’s our first time at WDW and i want them to have the entire experience. My kids deserve it so much!

How much spending money do you think I’ll need for a week based on the fact that everything has been paid for. Money will be for souviners and little knick knacks i guess. I just want to be prepared.

Thank you!

We spent between $250-300 for the four of us: 3 toys each for the kids, a set of Christmas tree ornaments, an Alice teapot set, hat for me and a t-shirt for DH.

We don't spend a ton at WDW because we've been there enough and really just try to stick to a tight budget. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't if the opportunity arose. If I were to hit the lottery, believe me, we'd take one heck of a trip to WDW!! I'd still stay offsite, I have no desire to stay onsite. But I would spend a fortune on souvenirs and experiences, so I fully understand the temptations. :D

Which brings up another point. You could use some of that money, if you wished, on experiences. We haven't done many, but plan to do some next summer.

Last big WDW trip we gave each kid a 150 dollar gift card they could spend however they wanted. It was less stress for everyone. I didn't have to police what they spent their money on, or how quickly. If DS wanted to blow 40 bucks on a toy, it was his decision. They money had to last them a week. If they spent it all in 2 days, that was their decision. It's funny how reluctant they are to spend money when it's THEIR money, but they have no qualms spending Dad's money as fast as they can.

We paid for all their food and snacks and stuff, their spending money was just for toys and souvenirs and stuff.

Yes we did the memory maker.

I have $1000 put away for spending money. You think that is enough for a week? I have no clue lol. I know things add up.

Oh and also my kids are doing the BBB make overs so that’s about $150 (just hair and make up for both).

I think you'll be absolutely fine with $1000. I tell my DD she has $20 a day to spend, so she can stretch it out or get something big if she wants. We buy her a t-shirt and any extra snacks/drinks.

If they are doing BBB, you may consider going to the Disney store and getting princess dresses to take with you (they are much cheaper than in the park). Once they're there and see it all there's a very good chance they are really going to want that dress.

Disney World can be expensive. You might want to check out some You Tube videos of the gift shops to get an idea. This can backfire thou my goddaughter is fascinated by the banshee that sits on your shoulder. Sadly this one toy is $85 but all she can say is but Uncle Hutches I watched the movie with you. Sigh I go in the other direction of people. It takes 2 to 3 years of saving to pay for everyone so I dump my change every night in a jar and I add $100 per girl every Hanukah. Since we have not been since 2015 the girls have close to $100 per day each. I know its to much but I only have one daughter and one goddaughter.

My daughter was 11 on our first trip and we didn't have very much to spend on souvenirs. She was ok with that. Each trip we take, it was based on how much I had as to how much we could spend on souvenirs. She is now 22 with her own daughter and takes her own money for souvenirs when we go. A single mom who is a teacher doesn't have a lot of extra spending money usually and I have to save up for each trip. However, I'm of the sound mind that making memories with my kids on vacation is important. The bills will still be there when I return from vacation and they are paid monthly as always. I just don't have a lot of "play" money for extra stuff because my daughter doesn't remember those expensive pair of jeans or shoes she had in middle/high school, but she remembers all of our trips to Disney and that's how I plan to have it for my son too.

We give our kid a Disney Gift Card. usually $50-$100 for the trip. We buy the Mickey Bars and such but she is responsible for any toys or clothes etc. Has worked out very well for us.

I'm doing about $1,200 for me and my 2 girls for a 5 night stay at the Poly without the DDP. I would think that $1,000 for souveniers, tips and extras would be generous.

Like others before me have said, we are going down in May, our son will be 8, we are going to put 100-150 on a Disney giftcard and that will be "his" spending money for the week. If you do that for your two girls you'll still have at a minimum of 700 left. I don't know about you, but 100 a day just for you seems like more then enough.

You should be fine with $1,000. Also don't forget you get 2 snacks per person per day with the dining plan. You will have 6 snacks for each day which should cover mickey bars, drinks, dole whips etc. Don't go home with unused snack credits if you haven't used them all go to the gift store and spend them there on your last day or stop in the gift shops at the parks to spend them.

When my DD 17 was younger we gave her $50 to spend as she wished for the trip. Would then buy her a Christmas ornament, a pin or two and a shirt. Also gave her $5.00 to buy any food treat she wanted. ( we usually don’t do meal plan)
Was a great way to let her have some control and not keep asking for everything she saw. When her $50 was gone there was nothing more and she understood that. If she wanted more spending money she had to do extra chores or save birthday/Christmas $$.

I still do the same today except she’s not into pins anymore.

I would say something a little different about shopping than some other posters. If you guys see something you really want, buy it then. You may never see it again! You can always keep the tags on it just in case you find something you want more later, you can always swap it. Hard for kids to not take the tags off a plushie, I know, but it's an option. I really hope you have a great trip :)

I know this depends on the person etc. but tell me your experience.

We are going to WDW early Jan. It is me and my two kids (11 and 6 year old girls) and my best friend (but she is paying for herself).

We are staying at the GF for 6 days. We have Hopper tickets and Dining plan.

I work a lot and this vacation is so much for the kids. It’s our first time at WDW and i want them to have the entire experience. My kids deserve it so much!

How much spending money do you think I’ll need for a week based on the fact that everything has been paid for. Money will be for souviners and little knick knacks i guess. I just want to be prepared.

Thank you!

We just got back yesterday and I’m a little stingy when it comes to “things” and not necessities. Spent $600 total in 4 days for 2 adults and 3 kids (ages 2, 5, 6), including food and souvenirs (gave kids a $20-$25 budget each for souvenirs). $1k with being on the DDP is very very generous! Have an awesome time! Can’t believe my trip is over....goes so fast!

Sounds like an amazing trip! We're here now and my kids are 13 and 10. We've given them $50 for them to buy what they want, and another $50 for universal when we go this weekend. My daughter is one to spend any money the minute it hits her hot little hands but she's been great this trip looking around at everything available. We don't need a ton of Disney things....a few special souvenirs are great. One our first trip we made sure to buy them Mickey ears that didn't come out of their spending money. Guess what? We brought them and they haven't worked them once!

Since the dining plan comes with snacks you could be okay depending on how much you snack.

Bottled water can take a big chunk out of your budget if you buy water at snack stands. The dining plan allows for a beverage with your dining meal, but bottled water would be considered a "snack" purchase if you purchase them at a cart and use the Dining Plan. Not worth using a snack credit for bottled water as water is only $3, as opposed to snacks that can be $5-$6 each. You can ask for ice water at any Quick Service restaurant. You don't have to wait on line. You can just go right up to the Pick Up counter and they have them there ready for guests.

As for souvenirs, I guess it depends on your kids. My older daughter is into clothing and jewelry, while my younger still likes plushes. The clothing is more expensive than toys, because she likes more than just a tee. I got her the more "fashionable" tops from Star Wars, Rock n Roller, Tower of Terror, etc, which run about $35 each.

We were there for 16 nights. According to my tally we spent $600 on souvenirs. This included random items like a souvenir $20 plush for my nephew, a $23 Chip mug for me, $18 on 2 Mickey icon hand towels, the Tower of Terror Clue game which was about $50, and $6 for a deck of cards to play one day while it was rainy by the pool. My younger daughter spent about $125. My older daughter spent $215. I have no idea what the balance of $140 was in purchases. :confused3

However, I actually purchased some of the items on shopdisney.com. While we were in Disney they had 25% off code online, plus free shipping, so I ordered 2 of the tops, the hand towels, etc online and had them shipped to our house. I saved quite a bit.

Also, if you use the Disney Visa card for souvenir purchases at Disney World you save 10% if you spend $50.00. If my daughters saw something they wanted in one store and it didn't total $50 we would wait and purchase it in another store along with other items. That 10% adds up.

We give my son a set amount for spending on trips too because otherwise he wants everything. With a budget, he is more careful about what he "needs" to buy. If my family had the dining plan, our budget for the week would be under $500. $50 for my son's souvenir budget, $20 or less for DH and I to pick out a magnet or Christmas ornament, which is the only souvenir we buy ourselves on trips, and the rest for alcoholic beverages. I figure 1 or 2 drinks per day, per adult totals $40 or less per day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter