(spin off) What is the WORST Christmas gift you've ever received?

One year I got 3 bags of hotel room coffee wrapped in tissue paper. From a person in the family who makes a 6 figure income.....

Dear Moneybags: Thanks for your interesting gift. I can honestly say that No gift would be better than this. It is certainly one that I will never want to regift.

Oh, oh, nearly forgot about my step grandmother. I’ll preface this by saying my grandmothers treated my stepbrother the same as they did my sister and I. My mother’s mother technically wasn’t obligated at all to him but he got a check for his age every birthday, souvenirs from trips etc. just like the rest of us. (no Christmas for any, way too many of us). Anyway, step gram was the queen of giving me and sis the free stuff from the back of her closet that she’d collected. One year it stung particularly bad though. We were over on Christmas Eve and after dinner she made this huge production of wheeling out a top of the line BMX bike for my brother. We got plastic watches that I’m pretty sure came from cereal boxes. The next morning there were bikes for us too from my dad. I think about it now and figure they must have struck some kind of deal with her because there was no way they could afford three bikes and certainly not the kind my brother expected. (he absolutely would have thrown a fit over a cheap bike) But geez man, present them all at once so we at least didn’t feel like the dirty, little, step grands.

Wow, you’re pretty tough to please. None of the things you mention are totally outlandish and your reaction to the necklaces is actually kinda bizarre. Maybe tell all your friends and family to just go with Amazon gift cards and keep their heads down from now on...:duck:
I agree. Those gifs are nothing like others mentioned on this thread (dead duckling? :scared: :sad1: ). They sound nice, and thoughtful. Gift cards or ca$h from now on...

My "worst" gift ended up being a lasting memory. From DH's side of the family - one SIL gave DH and I a bottle of shampoo from the salon she owned. The other SIL gave us a very nicely wrapped...box of band aids. She was so excited that she got them on a black friday sale. Ooookay. We smiled and thanked everyone and just shook our heads. (DH and I are used to unusual gifts - one year my dad gave the 2 of us, one hand-macramed lawn chair).
So - after Christmas conversations with my sis - and I tell her what we got. We laughed a little and planned our family holiday since our schedules meant we usually got together between Christmas and New Years. We get to the gifts from my nephews and one gives us...Conditioner. The other...Neosporin.

Of course, nothing beats the dead duckling:rolleyes:

One year my cousin gave me a shoe box full of random stuff. Stuff she apparently found while cleaning her room. It was mostly lip gloss and kids/tween make up items. Some were unopened, but expired. Some were open and had been used. :crazy2: There was also a few pieces of cheap kids/teen jewelry in there. That's fine, but she included earrings when I don't have pierced ears. :confused: Oh, and my cousin is about 7 years younger than me. I think she was an older teen (HS senior?) when she gave me this box, so I was in my mid 20s. Yeah, most (if not all) of the make up went in the trash. I think the jewelry got donated somewhere.

Get ready for it..........Fruitcake. Does anybody really eat it?
My grandma and her mother actually made amazing Fruitcake. The only kind I would ever eat. Unfortunately the recipe was lost when Grandma passed.

I can think of two different Christmases. The first, I was 13 and my brother was 9 or so. I got a Raggady Ann movie and my brother got a set of 8 linen napkins, both from a family friend. The funniest part is my brother begged for hours to open one present before Christmas Day and this is what he opened.

The second was when we were all adults and my step grandma gave DH a Bic pen. I got a pack of dollar store stationery. And my brother got a bar of soap.

In both cases though, I couldn’t be upset as these weren’t people who normally got us anything, so the fact that they thought of us - sort of - meant something. And it makes for great stories!

It was my birthday, (sorry, not about christmas, but I had to tell )and my husband, the love of my life was so happy and excited , he told me in the morning,''go get dress so I can take you to choose and buy a new door for the house, you can choose any door you want" :sad: I cried my eyes out...he did not belive I did not want a door for my birthday, he was in shock....:rolleyes: Now looking back , it was so funny...:tongue:

For Christmas ,he gave me tickets to go visit his mother, we did not like each other:(

Last edited:
My extremely frugal cousin has a "gift closet" where she puts all the gifts she gets that she doesn't like (with the giver's name attached, so at least she doesn't regift). On my birthday one year, she proudly threw open the closet and offered me my pick! Yeah, no thanks....

Terri

Really enjoying this thread, lol. I never really got anything bad. I had an aunt who used to give all the kids something "free" she had collected through the year, like basic black combs labeled with the name of her hairdresser and the calender from the family dentist. We didn't exchange gifts on that side of the family, so we didn't expect them, and it was always a kick seeing what everyone got. And, hey, they were useful.
DH has always been a great gift-er. I didn't know it at the time, but when we were dating, and he was a clueless young guy, he took his (female) cousin shopping for me, to make sure he got something in the right size, etc. :) Smart man, very smart man.

My grandma and her mother actually made amazing Fruitcake. The only kind I would ever eat. Unfortunately the recipe was lost when Grandma passed.
my Grandmother did too, but you had to be 21 to eat it. We called it 3 bottle fruitcake - 1 bottle of Rum for the cake, 1 bottle for her, and 1 bottle to pour over the cake for the next two months to keep it moist.

My ex-husband's gifts were legendary, and not in a good way. For our first Christmas as a married couple, he gave me a Thighmaster. ( this was in the 90's) The last Christmas before we divorced, he gifted me with a DVD of the movie Porky's and a case of beer someone gave him for free. He didn't do it as a joke. I laugh about it now, but I was not happy about it on those Christmas mornings. That is just one small glimpse into why he's my ex..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter