Spinoff of Mail Delivery Thread

We have a cluster box across the street from our front steps. 12 houses get mail in there. Pkgs have a bigger box, but the door on it has been broken for 2 years. Someone keeps breaking it everytime they fix it. So the carrier just walks across the street and leaves our pkgs on our front porch
How does it break? like the hinges or the area where the key goes?

How does it break? like the hinges or the area where the key goes?

The doors all have hinges on them. Someone kept slamming the pkg door open so hard that the hinges kept getting bent. That made the door not close right..and the carrier couldn't put anything in it to lock it. The locks have always worked fine. (I put graphite in ours 2x a year just to make sure I can open it. They have replaced the hinges on that door 3x and it keeps happening so now they don't even bother fixing it.

we live on a private road so all the houses have their mailboxes on one thing and since we live on the corner, it's in our yard.

Our old house had a mail slot by the front door

Condo community. All mailboxes are in the parking structure. Each building has 2 sets of mailboxes (one at each end). Packages for the most part go to our Amazon Hub in the parking structure too. We get an email when packages come in with the code to get it out of the hub. If a package is too big, it will get delivered to the door.

From what I recall it seemed that newer developments were being designated as rural and thus a mail vehicle goes around and the mail is placed in a mailbox at the curb. But older areas have a walking postal employee who goes up to each home and puts the mail in a box affixed to the house or near the front door or even a mail slot in the door/house.

While the rural areas may have been more spread out at one time, many times the homes there are really no different so far as space between them.

I have lived in both areas, almost an even split actually. One other thing I recall when I was younger was my mother and her sister talking about how they used to get delivery twice a day. I don’t know when that stopped.

Exactly where is your mailed delivered?

Mailbox by the curb, attached to your house near the front door, a central pick up spot for all the homes on your street, lobby of your apartment/condo building, collect it at the post office, or whatever.

I have a mailbox at the end of my driveway.

When I was growing up in the city, we had a slot with a hinged metal flap on the front door for mail. The delivery person would knock or ring the doorbell for larger packages. If no one answered the door, the package was usually left with an at home neighbor.

When my parents first moved to a newly built subdivision, we were one of the first families there. No at home mail delivery for about 4 months until more people moved in. We had to drive to the post office.

It's at the end of the driveway.

There was twice daily mail delivery up until about 1970 in my Philly neighborhood. I think Saturday was only once.

I also remember before zip codes. There were postal zones in urban areas. Philadelphia 34, Penna. became 19134.

As with anything new, some stubborn old timers were resistant to change and continued to use the old zones.

The doors all have hinges on them. Someone kept slamming the pkg door open so hard that the hinges kept getting bent. That made the door not close right..and the carrier couldn't put anything in it to lock it. The locks have always worked fine. (I put graphite in ours 2x a year just to make sure I can open it. They have replaced the hinges on that door 3x and it keeps happening so now they don't even bother fixing it.
Must be the same person doing it and it sucks that everyone gets affected by it but I can understand them not wanting to keep replacing/repairing something like that if all it does is gets damaged.

Community mailbox around the corner. All new subdivisions built in the last 25 years here get them. No door to door delivery.
We still get home delivery as our neighbourhood has been around for 60 years. The box is attached to the wall of our front door area.
Ours is in the lobby of our building. They just added five or six large spots for boxes. If you have a large delivery, a key is put in your small letter box for your spot. We also have a slot where you can drop letters to be mailed out.
With ours, you get a notice to go to the designated Canada Post depot location to pick up packages. Most of ours go to the Shoppers Drug Mart location in our neighbourhood but once in a while it will be for some random location in another part of town. I chalk that up to mis-sorting or something. :upsidedow

Mailbox attached to our house by the front door. When we moved in 25 years ago, we had a mail slot next to our front door. That was nice. We covered it up when we put siding on the house. We also had a box at the side door for milk deliveries that we covered up.

Communal mailboxes around the neighborhood. Nearly all developments built in the last 20 years have these. Packages either get delivered on our porch or in the communal mailbox. There’s a few package boxes with keys, so if you get a package, they’ll put that key in your mailbox.

We still get home delivery as our neighbourhood has been around for 60 years. The box is attached to the wall of our front door area.

With ours, you get a notice to go to the designated Canada Post depot location to pick up packages. Most of ours go to the Shoppers Drug Mart location in our neighbourhood but once in a while it will be for some random location in another part of town. I chalk that up to mis-sorting or something. :upsidedow

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Only packages delivered by Canada Post get put in the package spot. Amazon, Fed Ex, etc will get delivery notes to go to shoppers or fed ex depot.

Mine is on the street by the curb. But my neighborhood is 4 different subdivisions built in different years.
Subdivision built in 1956 has the mailboxes on the house.
My Subdivision, built in 1976-79 has mailboxes at the curb
The Subdivision built in 1985 that is to the west has cluster mailboxes
The subdivision built in 2010 this is to the east also has cluster mailboxes.

Our mailbox is a slit to the left of our front door that goes into a box in our foyer. House was built in 1939, and the whole neighborhood has mailboxes at their front door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter