Spinoff of Mail Delivery Thread

Grew up with a mail box on the porch but in my current house I have a huge brick planter/mailbox monument. LOL I kid you not it's huge. It also is locking. My folks live with me and my step dad gets meds and VA stuff and he wanted it secure. He paid for it so I let him and mom pick the design.

We have a communal mailbox area on the opposite side of our development. It’s too far to walk, especially since it’s at the bottom of a hill that is steep to climb back up. It’s so inconvenient that I only go to get my mail once a week or when I have an email that a package has been delivered. We get other people’s mail even though the last name and house address is on a label posted on the inside of all the mailbox doors for the postal employee to see.

Mailbox at the end of our driveway. UPS and Fed Ex deliver either at the garage door, front porch or back deck.

My son just bought a new (old) house in the country. His mailbox was at the end of the driveway and they weren't getting their mail. When they went to the post office they were told they needed to move it across the street, despite the fact that it had been where it was for at least 30 years. He told me their mail person also delivers UPS and Fed Ex so if they have something from them, he (or she) will drive up the driveway and put the box on the ground by the door and put their mail on top of it. Say what? It's in the country so they aren't worried about people stealing anything but the mail has been blown around the yard a time or two. I told him he needs to go to the PO and talk to a supervisor, you mail is supposed to go in your mail box period. Just because the mail person is delivering both does not mean the mail goes on the ground. I'm not even sure its legal to do that. Every once in a while we will get an Amazon package that is shipped USPS but our mail person puts the package by the garage and the mail in the box.

Where I grew up (until 15) we had clusters of mailboxes around the neighborhood, just regular mail boxes. Then a family moved in and the kid would steal mail so the post office put in locking boxes. Any packages went to your home.

From 16 onwards (and dad still lives there), it was across the street in a group of four for the homes around us. Packages were dropped at the home.

College apartments had locked boxes in the building. Packages went to the office.

First condo had a mailbox at the end of the driveway, packages at the door.

2nd condo (current living location) has the locked mail boxes all at the front by the clubhouse. We also have Amazon Lockers for packages as well.

Mailbox at the end of our driveway. UPS and Fed Ex deliver either at the garage door, front porch or back deck.

My son just bought a new (old) house in the country. His mailbox was at the end of the driveway and they weren't getting their mail. When they went to the post office they were told they needed to move it across the street, despite the fact that it had been where it was for at least 30 years. He told me their mail person also delivers UPS and Fed Ex so if they have something from them, he (or she) will drive up the driveway and put the box on the ground by the door and put their mail on top of it. Say what? It's in the country so they aren't worried about people stealing anything but the mail has been blown around the yard a time or two. I told him he needs to go to the PO and talk to a supervisor, you mail is supposed to go in your mail box period. Just because the mail person is delivering both does not mean the mail goes on the ground. I'm not even sure its legal to do that. Every once in a while we will get an Amazon package that is shipped USPS but our mail person puts the package by the garage and the mail in the box.
That sounds a lot like a previous agreement between the old owner and the mail person. The prior owner probably thought it was a kind thing to do bringing the mail up to the house (although now I'm wondering if they missed any mail since you mentioned it already being blown around with your son being the owner).

I do agree though the mail should be delivered to the mailbox but it might have been that the prior owner was supposed to move the mailbox across the street too but had an arrangement with the mail person to do it differently. I can't imagine this issue just cropping up like suddenly it needs to be moved when before it was fine so I'm assuming the prior owner knew and should have notified your son (maybe they forgot to?)

We have a mail slot on the side of the garage. The mail lands inside of the garage in a box that was built by a previous owner. We love it because we never have to ask anyone to pick up our mail when we go out of town. It stays safely in the garage until we get home.

My HOA doesn’t permit Kree8iv mailboxes. 😭. We have a standard boring one like this.

I’ve seen some cutesy dog and fish mailboxes before, but none like these.

Ours is at the end of our 250' driveway and across the road. When we first moved there we worried about vandalism but so far, knock on wood, none in over 18 years. At our other house the mailbox was about 70 feet from the house and was vandalized multiple times. I would like a "fancy" mailbox, but the one we have is a Rubbermaid one and we don't want to draw a lot of attention to it.

That sounds a lot like a previous agreement between the old owner and the mail person. The prior owner probably thought it was a kind thing to do bringing the mail up to the house (although now I'm wondering if they missed any mail since you mentioned it already being blown around with your son being the owner).

I do agree though the mail should be delivered to the mailbox but it might have been that the prior owner was supposed to move the mailbox across the street too but had an arrangement with the mail person to do it differently. I can't imagine this issue just cropping up like suddenly it needs to be moved when before it was fine so I'm assuming the prior owner knew and should have notified your son (maybe they forgot to?)
It's a small country county so no telling what the former owner had going. He had not lived in the house for a year and the mail person is usually an old family friend of most people out there.

Mailbox at end of short driveway. Two days ago I found a green "Vacant" card in the box from the PO and no mail since then. Soooo, today I went to the PO a mile from my house. Was told "sorry, but your mail comes from another PO" 5 miles away. Soooo, I drive to that PO and was told there was a forward mail order filed online for my address. Where's it forwarded too? PO says they can't tell me as it would be a violation of privacy because whoever did this used a credit card but, they will rescind the order to forward. I have no idea what, if any, mail got forwarded to an address the PO will not reveal. Gotta love the PO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter