Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% disney they sat on this to cover bad news. disneys stock took a plunge on the news that disneyland wont reopen yesterday, good way to push that out of the news headlines with this. It's smart ,but so Disney

And if they delay reopening of WDW, the stock is REALLY going to plunge.

They will have to find a big ride to retheme to cover-up that headline.

Jungle Cruise is already trending on Twitter with mentions of Peter Pan.

Very mixed feelings on Peter Pan. I love the movie so much as a kid, and it was one of the first Disney rides, but the depictions of Native Americans as 'the red man' are pretty bad. I would want to know more about how Native Americans feel about that before deciding what I think. Jungle Cruise could hopefully be changed with a few modifications, the general ride left intact.

As for Splash Mountain - doubt many will agree, but all social justice issues aside, I love the idea of replacing it with a Princess and the Frog ride anyways. I'd be for it even if Splash Mountain wasn't considered offensive.

As someone of native American heritage, I say leave Peter Pan alone!!! I think the Indian scene is great. My kids and I sing "what made the red man red" all the time. So no need to be offended by Peter Pan on my behalf. :-)

You don't create that kind of concept art and everything in a few days. This was definitely being worked on before current events.

I don’t think they did. But they absolutely could create that concept art in a few days. Boss logic can put together artwork based on an idea that was presented the day before. It’s far from impossible, but I do think in this case the concept art was made well ahead of time

Oh I know all about that history, the classic Hollywood podcast You Must Remember This has a really great season about The Song of the South that goes into all of that in depth (and also provides an interesting biography of Hattie McDaniel in addition to a lot of in depth history about the creation of Splash Mountain itself). It's definitely worth checking out.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/tag/Song+of+the+South
I also highly recommend this.

You misunderstand, read again thanks. I'm in favor of the change, but I think DISNEY should realize these changes on their own, without people having to pressure them. The fact that they don't realize it was offense until a bunch of people pushed them, means they're probably not the advocates for change they claim to be.

They knew it was offensive enough to have kept Song of the South locked in the Disney vault since 1986 (with the noted exception of making Splash Mountain itself).

Oh I know all about that history, the classic Hollywood podcast You Must Remember This has a really great season about The Song of the South that goes into all of that in depth (and also provides an interesting biography of Hattie McDaniel in addition to a lot of in depth history about the creation of Splash Mountain itself). It's definitely worth checking out.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/tag/Song+of+the+South

Thanks for the link! Will check it out.

The next ride i see getting cultural changes is Jungle Cruise. That one i always thought was the one that would happen first. I vote Indiana Jones on a world trekking journey if it has to be IP.
Really they just need to change a scene or two. They have a huge movie coming out based on the attraction next year.

I remember first seeing Splash Mountain just before it opened. The ride was only in cast member previews and I wouldn't get a chance to ride it myself for at least a couple of years.

It's a classic but not without it's faults. Some of them maintenance related (Laughing Place frequently far from 100%) others just by design (never felt the Brer Rabbit hopping animatronic was all that impressive). But we love the classics despite their faults.

But this isnt literature and it isn't history, it's a well designed ride with unsavory source material. Maybe they planned to replace it maybe they didn't, but they certainly knew while building it there were things they had to be careful to avoid. *Especially in the form of one story I found very confusing as a child that they realized they could not include or reference in the ride.

It will probably be a few years before I ride Splash Mountain again and it will be different, but hopefully for the better.

Really they just need to change a scene or two. They have a huge movie coming out based on the attraction next year.

2 Dwayne Johnson animatronics in Adventureland! I’m still holding out hope Moana gets an attraction in the land

I think Jungle Cruise and even Peter Pan would be much easier to change. A scene here and there removed or working with the communities to get some actual representation. It wouldn't be as big of a deal as re-theming a whole ride which is what Splash had to have done.

They knew it was offensive enough to have kept Song of the South locked in the Disney vault since 1986 (with the noted exception of making Splash Mountain itself).
And yet, they didn't change the ride until over 30 years after that...I'm just saying, seems sketchy. But I'm looking forward to the changes.

Thanks for the link! Will check it out.

You're welcome! It's really a fascinating story. The host of the show has an encyclopedic knowledge of Hollywood history and she goes really in depth (also she's married to Rian Johnson who directed The Last Jedi and Knives Out, which is fun).

So, Splash Mountain is racist and offensive because of the link to Song of the South, yet nobody is upset that the man that made Song of the South a household name has his name on and is the face of a multi-billion dollar company?

And yet, they didn't change the ride until over 30 years after that...I'm just saying, seems sketchy. But I'm looking forward to the changes.

Everything Disney does is for money and they mostly do it well which is why so many people rely on them as a wholesome vacation. That said, this is the same company that employed a pedophile and then hired him back.

They are certainly not without faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter