Splurge or save - studio or 1 bedroom

Boardwalk_bride

Married in WDW :)
We are going to wdw first week of December - currently have POFQ booked. It's me, DH and dd who is 7, will be close to 8 upon arrival.

Our last 5 trips have been via dvc points, with the last wdw trip (first one with our daughter) a 1 bedroom. We most recently went to Disneyland and stayed offsite in a family room (separate sleeping areas).

The prices seem to have gone up a lot, and most dvc is booked out) so I'm debating between a moderate (booked), AoA family room (maybe split with moderate), 1 bedroom ak (which she did on her first stay) or a split stay with a 1 bedroom dvc at boardwalk.

So - what would you do? Save the $$ on splurge for more space? We have only slept in a 'regular' room with her once - which was in an airport hotel due to a late arrival. The $$ saved can go to extra weekends away or more $ at Disney, but I also want to make sure we have a great trip!

Your DD is under the age of 2 so if I were you I’d save the money as you‘ll have many many many years of sleeping in a “regular” room in the future.

This question sounds like a personal/family decision on your part. If you're talking 2 adults and a 7 yr old in a room, we would have had no issue staying several nights in a 'regular' hotel room with a couple beds. But if you prefer to have her sleeping in a separated area, and you're kind of used to it, the DVC 1BR is really hard to beat! It's larger, separated, and we've found the wash/dry option in the room can really help with packing needs! Good luck with your decision - enjoy your trip in December. It's a great time to visit.

That is a tough one. The good news is that DD is past napping stage.

So the question I would have is are you expecting to close the parks down or have her go to bed at her normal time?

If going to bed at a mostly normal time for her means that is your bedtime in a standard room whereas a 1 bedroom you can relax with the door closed before turning in.

We spring for the 1 bedroom but we try to keep DS on a schedule as much as we can as changes do not go over well.

That is a tough one. The good news is that DD is past napping stage.

So the question I would have is are you expecting to close the parks down or have her go to bed at her normal time?

If going to bed at a mostly normal time for her means that is your bedtime in a standard room whereas a 1 bedroom you can relax with the door closed before turning in.

We spring for the 1 bedroom but we try to keep DS on a schedule as much as we can as changes do not go over well.
This is where I am stuck. I have no idea what she will do. She made long days happen in WDW (she didn't nap at 3) and went to bed at 7:30, but our recent trip to Disneyland she was done most days by 3pm. It was hot and busy though. I find I fall asleep around 9 on WDW trips - it's a struggle for me to make fire works! Maybe I should check historic opening times for that week.

I would not plan on it being hot and muggy at WDW in December. That being said, the idea of closing down the parks might become more of a reality. I'd lean into the splurge for the extra privacy/room with the split. Are you comfortable with her walking by herself from EPCOT to BWV if she does close down the parks? That's the question I would ask myself.

I would not plan on it being hot and muggy at WDW in December. That being said, the idea of closing down the parks might become more of a reality. I'd lean into the splurge for the extra privacy/room with the split. Are you comfortable with her walking by herself from EPCOT to BWV if she does close down the parks? That's the question I would ask myself.
When I brought up closing down the parks I should have stated as a family as OP DD is 7.

This is where I am stuck. I have no idea what she will do. She made long days happen in WDW (she didn't nap at 3) and went to bed at 7:30, but our recent trip to Disneyland she was done most days by 3pm. It was hot and busy though. I find I fall asleep around 9 on WDW trips - it's a struggle for me to make fire works! Maybe I should check historic opening times for that week.
The other question would be are you planning any non park days?

If so you could close down the parks and sleep in the next day. If that is the case I would probably sacrifice the convenience of the 1 bedroom as you will all be exhausted anyways. You also will probably be able to spend an extra night or 2 of non park days going with a regular room or dvc studio.

The other question would be are you planning any non park days?

If so you could close down the parks and sleep in the next day. If that is the case I would probably sacrifice the convenience of the 1 bedroom as you will all be exhausted anyways. You also will probably be able to spend an extra night or 2 of non park days going with a regular room or dvc studio.
Put non park day plans will depend on where we stay. We do want to have a relaxing vacation (as much as possible as Disney). So since Xmas decor will be up we want to go to WL, followed by hoop de doo qnd maybe a pre carriage ride to see decorations at ft wilderness (if they still do that). We haven't done disney springs since it became springs, so def that. And maybe a monorail resort hop.

If we stayed at boardwalk I think we'd drop one of the above and do more partial or easy days at Epcot.

She's also fine to walk. She walked all of wdw at 3 without a stroller (it just carried out backpacks). And we averaged 30k steps on our Disneyland trip last April.

She is a finicky sleeper. Night mask and noise machine (same for me!)

How long is your trip? What is the price difference between resorts? We are also a family of 3 and DH insists we have separate sleeping areas so it does hike the costs quite a bit. Maybe also consider some deluxes with balconies just to give you some extra, separate space especially if DD goes to bed earlier than you do.

Put non park day plans will depend on where we stay. We do want to have a relaxing vacation (as much as possible as Disney). So since Xmas decor will be up we want to go to WL, followed by hoop de doo qnd maybe a pre carriage ride to see decorations at ft wilderness (if they still do that). We haven't done disney springs since it became springs, so def that. And maybe a monorail resort hop.

If we stayed at boardwalk I think we'd drop one of the above and do more partial or easy days at Epcot.

She's also fine to walk. She walked all of wdw at 3 without a stroller (it just carried out backpacks). And we averaged 30k steps on our Disneyland trip last April.

I would recommend pricing out rooms at WL/BRV/CCV and CR/BLT (even consider a garden wing room at CR which we happen to prefer over the tower). Any of those choices will make traveling to Ft. W much easier. Perhaps consider a new cabin at Ft. W - it would give you the extra space you like at, most likely, a lower cost than DVC 1-bedroom. That does present some logistical challenges however, but something to consider.

Sorry you didn't really mention your park plans and if you were doing resort hopping where you would be going.

If you are going to do Epcot/HS primarily springing for the 1 bedroom at Boardwalk certainly makes sense.

If you are doing a lot of resort hopping then staying in the standard room studio makes sense so that an extra day could be added. In fact you could add on several days for these prices and still save.

The Disney site shows for 12/1 - 12/8 $8,293.51 after taxes for a standard 1 bedroom villa at boardwalk
and $2,658.40 for a standard room at where you currently have booked, POFQ.

It still really comes down to your comfort level but since you both are using sound machines and masks I would probably do the standard room.

Also since you are planning things at Ft. Wilderness I would possibly look at WL/CCV/BRV as @Marthasor mentioned.
You could take the boat there and you could also take the boat to MK and then hop on Monorail from there to visit those resorts.

Of course those resorts will not beat the boat/walk home from Epcot to boardwalk.

Unfortunately Disney just gives us too many good options sometimes.

Sorry you didn't really mention your park plans and if you were doing resort hopping where you would be going.

If you are going to do Epcot/HS primarily springing for the 1 bedroom at Boardwalk certainly makes sense.

If you are doing a lot of resort hopping then staying in the standard room studio makes sense so that an extra day could be added. In fact you could add on several days for these prices and still save.

The Disney site shows for 12/1 - 12/8 $8,293.51 after taxes for a standard 1 bedroom villa at boardwalk
and $2,658.40 for a standard room at where you currently have booked, POFQ.

It still really comes down to your comfort level but since you both are using sound machines and masks I would probably do the standard room.

Also since you are planning things at Ft. Wilderness I would possibly look at WL/CCV/BRV as @Marthasor mentioned.
You could take the boat there and you could also take the boat to MK and then hop on Monorail from there to visit those resorts.

Of course those resorts will not beat the boat/walk home from Epcot to boardwalk.

Unfortunately Disney just gives us too many good options sometimes.
Thanks for this! I'll take a look at what is available, but renting via DVC points seems to have less options (for the one I use anyway).

We are firm on 7 nights only because the smaller airport by us goes Sunday - Sunday. We could change to Toronto airport if necessary, I just don't like the return times (like 7 am) whereas the smaller one has great times both ways, plus a way smaller airport. We would arrive in Orlando around 10:30 am - so basically we would have 6.5 days there.

We have been back and forth on plans - I'll need to think through it more. We also tend to split up so parents can do rides she won't do, stay out later, etc. That is where the separated room would come in handy (assuming she can't handle staying up late).

I would LOVE to do ft.Wilderness - but I don't see it listed as an option (the cabins). I'm not sure if they have been released yet? I thought I read March, so maybe I can look into it. I'll look into the price. If I could get that I think a split stay would be ideal (keeping POFQ for part, or switching to CBR for skyliner).

And yes - way too many good options! We keep staying at AKV because we LOVE it, but we really want to try something new.

Thanks for this! I'll take a look at what is available, but renting via DVC points seems to have less options (for the one I use anyway).

We are firm on 7 nights only because the smaller airport by us goes Sunday - Sunday. We could change to Toronto airport if necessary, I just don't like the return times (like 7 am) whereas the smaller one has great times both ways, plus a way smaller airport. We would arrive in Orlando around 10:30 am - so basically we would have 6.5 days there.

We have been back and forth on plans - I'll need to think through it more. We also tend to split up so parents can do rides she won't do, stay out later, etc. That is where the separated room would come in handy (assuming she can't handle staying up late).

I would LOVE to do ft.Wilderness - but I don't see it listed as an option (the cabins). I'm not sure if they have been released yet? I thought I read March, so maybe I can look into it. I'll look into the price. If I could get that I think a split stay would be ideal (keeping POFQ for part, or switching to CBR for skyliner).

And yes - way too many good options! We keep staying at AKV because we LOVE it, but we really want to try something new.

Sticking with the 7 days from a logistics point makes sense.

Yes the prices I listed were cash from Disney.
I'm not sure who you were looking to rent points from but they will definately be cheaper than going through Disney

You may find someone that can get what you want over at the Rental forum and still save some money.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-transfer.29/

Good luck!!

Sticking with the 7 days from a logistics point makes sense.

Yes the prices I listed were cash from Disney.
I'm not sure who you were looking to rent points from but they will definately be cheaper than going through Disney

You may find someone that can get what you want over at the Rental forum and still save some money.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-transfer.29/

Good luck!!
I use David's vacation club - mostly because they are local(ish) to me, and I've used them successfully for many trips. I just touched base and apparently I can request the cabins tomorrow, but they likely won't have any members with points for it (I don't understand, nor really need to, how it all works).

I've used the rental forum before but I find it a bit challenging - especially with currently conversion and everything. I'll take a look at the direct booking price for the cabins. I'm thinking a split stay at this point will be best to get the best of both words (some savings, some days with more space). Our daughter is fine moving hotels and we've done split before and have been fine :)

I use David's vacation club - mostly because they are local(ish) to me, and I've used them successfully for many trips. I just touched base and apparently I can request the cabins tomorrow, but they likely won't have any members with points for it (I don't understand, nor really need to, how it all works).

I've used the rental forum before but I find it a bit challenging - especially with currently conversion and everything. I'll take a look at the direct booking price for the cabins. I'm thinking a split stay at this point will be best to get the best of both words (some savings, some days with more space). Our daughter is fine moving hotels and we've done split before and have been fine :)
Fingers crossed for the cabins. They will only have 30 for DVC owners to reserve and they can not reserve until April 23rd. It might be better to book copper creek or Boulder ridge with David’s instead and boat over there.

Glad your DD is ok with split stays. Our family is not a fan of having to unpack everything and repack to unpack again.

Luckily for us, our family loves sharing a room and we do not "need" a lot of space. As you can see in our signature, we have stayed at all 3 levels and have absolutely no issues staying at a value over a Mod or Deluxe. Forus, it's all about the family and not the resort. We have had some great memories because we are all together and no one can go off into a separate room. None of us needs a totally dark or quiet room to fall asleep (especially at Disney) so that is never an issue. We have had a lot of fun memories, from our DDs and DW getting ready all together in front of the mirrors, to all of us laying in bed after a full day at the park talking about our favorite moments etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter