Spring Break or late June - which week would you pick and why?

Boulie

DisneyDad
Planning for 2020 and looking at either the week that leads into Easter or late June after school is finished. Have not been previously during either time of year, as we have only gone during early November up until now, but trying to follow school calendar next year. I've read a bit about the pros and cons of each, but looking for opinions/advice from people who have been during these times of year.

As background: would be me, DW, 2 kids (8 and 12). We'd stay at a DVC resort and park hop (but probably not go to the water parks). We usually hit a park in the morning, take a hotel/pool break in the afternoon, then hit another park at night.
Thanks!

June will be better for crowds, but significantly hotter. So, it depends on which is more important to you. Personally I would be miserable in the June heat and crowds don't really bother me, so I'd pick spring break. But given your touring style I think June would be the better option.

Late June if you can handle the heat. The week that leads into Easter is one of the most crowded (I believe). My friend went last year during that week and it was a FL school vacation week as well, she was miserable the first couple days.

I would pick June. As others have said, hotter but less crowded than Easter. Easter is notoriously crowded and if you're flying, it will be more expensive to fly too. The end of the school year is nice for the kids as they're done with school and it's sort of like a kick off to summer!

Just wondering if anyone has some fresh thoughts on this that they would be willing to share, now that the week leading into Easter just ended. Thanks!

Well, we only go in Early May...Low crowds....but id pick June over spring break always. Spring break is what ..March into early April? VERY busy. Easter also. Late April-Early May is incredibly not busy.

Just wondering if anyone has some fresh thoughts on this that they would be willing to share, now that the week leading into Easter just ended. Thanks!

I was at a conference in Orlando last week and had an off day Tuesday the 16th so I went to MK since I hadn’t been since I was a kid. I was solo and didn’t really have a plan other than to be in the park but holy heck was it crowded! 2 hour wait for the Jungle Cruise which just seems insane to me. Sent my wife a screenshot of the wait time.

9C987C77-7255-41E3-8246-9A9A776C0AD7.jpeg

The weather was beautiful but I doubt I would want to be there with the wife and kids.

It's tit for tat in my opinion. I've been during spring break and early June (Memorial Day Week) and it was about the same to me. It's hot, maybe more so in June, but it's still going to be hot in April as well. It's crowded, a little more at spring break possibly but it's pretty crowded in June from my experience as well. Several factors may need to be considered: Where are you located (i.e. how do you handle the heat), are you driving or flying (better deals at a certain time) and do your kids like to stay out later (summer has longer hours/daylight).

If you're looking at it from a crowd perspective there's absolutely no comparison. Spring Break is probably one of the 4 busiest weeks of the entire year. June is one of the "slowest" times at WDW...with "slow" being a relative term.

Yeah, it's hot in June but there are really easy ways to avoid having to deal with it too much if it's an issue for you. I'd pick June every day of the week and twice on Sunday. :D

I would go during spring break over June. The weather should be nicer and the parks will probably be open later. We've gone during Spring Break and have always had a great time, even during level 10 crowd days. With a good plan you'll be fine. We tour similar to you- we love to go to a park early, take a midday break, then go back to the parks at night.

I would go during June over spring break. The crowds should be better and the parks will still be open later. We've gone during June and have always had a great time, even during hot and humid days. With a good plan you'll be fine. We tour similar to you--we love to go to a park early, take a midday break, then go back to the parks at night.

(Note: intentionally made to look like @mkla2015's post, just to show a lot of the arguments in favor of coping with crowds also apply to coping with hot weather. Starting early, having a good plan and taking an afternoon break will help you equally with both. So while I would genuinely go in June for the reasons stated above, I think you'd be OK either way.)

I will never, never, go during a summer month. It's too busy, too rainy and too hot. That assessment is not based on being there for just a week, it's is based on being there every week, usually out doors in the sun and rain for over two decades.

Last edited:
What can you handle better- huge crowds or heat with humidity?
This is the ultimate deciding factor for you and your family.

For me and my family, I don't think we will ever choose to go on Spring Break (which for us is the same as yours - the week leading up to Spring Break). For one thing, the flights are double-triple what they would be in June. Also, we can plan for the heat and still feel like we can accomplish a lot - especially as my kids (and DH) do like to have some built-in "sleep in" days. If we did Spring Break, it would have to include a lot of rope-drop mornings, which gets old with my family. But word of caution - it is HOT. And my family, like yours, love the mid-day break for lunch (DVC, too, so we usually eat lunch in our villa) and then swim. But that pool is like a bath - anything but refreshing. But they still have fun. And then we go back into the parks when the sun is setting (still hot, but at least the sun is beating down on you).

Good call on bumping this conversation - I missed it the first time and clearly have an opinion to share! LOL

I’ve at been to both in the last 2 years. I would only go during spring break if my summer wasn’t available. We chose June this year. (I’d even choose July or August over spring break.)

ETA-Our spring break week was the third week of March. It was cold, rainy and windy. Give me heat and humidity and occasional rain over the cold any day.

I’d choose spring break but we go twice a year, if we miss some rides there’s no heartbreak. I’d hit the parks early, do some FP attractions and get out of dodge to enjoy the weather at the resort or DS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter