• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Springtime Surprise Weekend 2024 (April 18-21)

Holy heatstroke, Batman!! Did anyone see the person in full Wookie costume, with a full size wilderness explorer pack on their back?!
I happened to be parked in front of them and spent the walk in to the start chatting, and then also happened to finish near them and spent the walk back to our cars together… which was extra awesome because I was in full Dark Side SW dress! Security made him check the backpack, unfortunately, so he didn’t wear it during the race. But he made it through with the full fur costume and lived to tell!

Unfortunately it’s not uncommon for there to be deaths during these races. In 2017 and 2019 during the Wine and Dine runners died. These incidents are usually cardiac arrests brought on by underlying heart disease exacerbated by physical stress and electrolyte imbalances. If EMS was doing CPR and using an AED, chances are this runner had some sort of ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation. Running is physically taxing, and people should make sure they are cleared by a physician before signing up for these races. I always tell people during marathon weekend that we’re running a race where the first guy to try it yelled “Nike!” and then died.
All true and yes to be checked by a physician!
That being said, if we were to moniter these ten thousand athletes going to a gym for two/three hours, there is a good probability that there would be a similar amount of medical incidents, including fatal ones.
Let’s remind ourselves that the benefits of the training we all gain prevents many many more short and long terms medical problems.
One day that I was a shocked by a race fatality, I had that conversation with my mom and husband. It is easy to let speak our fear of this happening. Being physically active is still the best way to mitigate risks. So they both told me that if something like that was to happen to me, they would know that it was meant to be and that I was doing something that I liked in my last moments. Hence, I keep moving forward and enjoy every moment I have. :grouphug:

Is anyone else still waiting on race photos? Not a single photo has come through for me or my daughter. Yesterday I stopped by Disney Springs and they said to wait. But surprised to still not have any in the account this morning.

Im going to ask something and if I get roasted so be it. Im only asking for myself and Im not what I would consider a serious runner. This was my first Run Disney event and I thought it was great and as far as crowds and my pacing it was about what I was expecting. My last ten mile run at home prepping for this weekend was 1 hour 59 minutes. Yesterday was 3 hours and 4 seconds. So my question is everyone who sets PRs, or gets upset they didnt finish with the time they wanted, or the ones who are blowing through the course, Why, go so hard or set expectations for a race that is in my mind designed more for entertainment than competition (either competing against youself, others, or the clock)?

Again Im just curious.

Is anyone else still waiting on race photos? Not a single photo has come through for me or my daughter. Yesterday I stopped by Disney Springs and they said to wait. But surprised to still not have any in the account this morning.
Are you 100% sure you keyed the codes correctly? I had one year where I transposed numbers in my bib and ended up with someone else’s pics. I keyed the right code and all my stuff appeared.

Are you 100% sure you keyed the codes correctly? I had one year where I transposed numbers in my bib and ended up with someone else’s pics. I keyed the right code and all my stuff appeared.
This. Re-input your codes. If your bib number was less than 5 digits long, you need to put a 0 at the beginning of it (as in, if your bib was 1234 you'd need to enter race-code-stuff-01234.)

Im going to ask something and if I get roasted so be it. Im only asking for myself and Im not what I would consider a serious runner. This was my first Run Disney event and I thought it was great and as far as crowds and my pacing it was about what I was expecting. My last ten mile run at home prepping for this weekend was 1 hour 59 minutes. Yesterday was 3 hours and 4 seconds. So my question is everyone who sets PRs, or gets upset they didnt finish with the time they wanted, or the ones who are blowing through the course, Why, go so hard or set expectations for a race that is in my mind designed more for entertainment than competition (either competing against youself, others, or the clock)?

Again Im just curious.
I think it comes down to what you want from your race experience. You, and many others, see RunDisney races as opportunities to PR in "fun" through on-course entertainment, character photo ops, riding rides, etc. There's absolutely nothing wrong with treating these races that way.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that that's the only way or the "correct" way of approaching these races, though. RunDisney races offer flat, fast courses that are very conducive to setting PRs, especially for those from hillier areas. Some people like the challenge of setting PRs under different circumstances. For example, some here have tried to set PRs in all 4 individual Dopey races. Some runners BQ during the marathon in Marathon weekend. Some have specific "RunDisney PRs" that they track separately and may be trying to improve. Everybody trains hard for the races for their own reasons.

This isn't intended as a roast, but there's something dissonant about saying "it's a race, but don't try too hard". Ultimately, everyone has their own individual reason for running these races and needs to coexist with those running for different reasons or taking different approaches.

Again Im just curious.
Why do so many care how other people choose to run the race they paid for? I just don’t get it and I’m so sick of people crapping on those who choose to run fast with or without picture stops. How does it affect the way you choose to run the race you paid for? It doesn’t. Just stop.

Again Im just curious.
My philosophy: If I'm going to do a race, I'm going to try to do my best. I know I can walk/jog XX distance at a leisurely pace, but I want to push myself to do the best I can on that day, whether it is at Disney or elsewhere. While I don't stop to meet characters, I enjoy seeing them on the course and the atmosphere that surrounds a RunDisney race.

Again Im just curious.

I think you answered your question when you said you were not a serious runner. Your pace for the 10-miler was 18 min/mile. If I ran that pace, I would not have a good time. My enjoyment comes from seeing what I can accomplish. Back when they still did age group awards, I came in second place during the 10k, running a 6:30 min/mile. I got a nice plaque, and to me having that achievement made that race extra special. I’ve also won my age group before, but alas they stopped giving out hardware to commemorate it. Practically, it also is another POT to have for the next races.

You think it’s odd that I try hard during a race, I think it’s odd that you would spend all that time and money and not try your best. But I’m not running your race, and it doesn’t matter to me how you choose to perform.

Again Im just curious.
I've done both, I've PR'd in 2022 and then had fun in other races.

I live in Colorado, and it's hilly. It's fun for me to get to sea level and be able to really open up my legs and lungs and see what I can do. I happened to PR in 2022 because the races were just coming back from COVID and the field was smaller. I loved the DL 10K course because again, the field was smaller. I didn't PR in Disneyland, but I negative split for the first time ever, which is a huge accomplishment. I've been working on fueling so I don't bonk in the last couple miles and this verified what I'm doing is working.

Other races I did for fun. I did Princess with my cousins in February, and since I'd had such a great 10K in DL, this was for fun. I had knots in my calves for the 10K after trekking around Studios the entire day before, so I hopped in line with Esmeralda, Maleficent, and Meg.

It all depends what you're looking for. Anything not local for me will most likely be lower in elevation, so I have to decide what I want from each race.

Entered them correctly a bunch of times now and every time I get a “linked successfully” message but nothing more

Again Im just curious.
Not a roast in the slightest, it is a good question that comes up a lot in this community. I think the important part is that each of us approaches the races looking for what we are hoping to achieve as it is such a big commitment to go through the stress of registration, then train for months and of course commit time and money to a trip to DW.

Absolutely the atmosphere at runDisney is fun based, everyone welcome and a significant variance in paces. Some will come ready to put it all down on the course and try to PR or even BQ (that will not be me…) Others will try to get all the pictures and ride all the rides they can. Both are absolutely right. I think the important thing is for people to enjoy their experience and be respectful of the runners around them.

For me, not ever going to BQ, but I like to push myself. So I tend to try hard, skip pictures but try to take in all the ambiance of the parks and community of the races here. I love the medals and think it is fun to tour the parks after races with my race shirts and medals.

So to each their own is my thought, so long as we respect each other (and continue to work on runner etiquette so all are getting what they want).

This. Re-input your codes. If your bib number was less than 5 digits long, you need to put a 0 at the beginning of it (as in, if your bib was 1234 you'd need to enter race-code-stuff-01234.)
Oh my goodness! Thank you both. I was putting the extra zero at the end. (Insert awkward sleep deprived face palm here) Got the photos!!

Again Im just curious.

This is part of what I love about this group. Look up threads on this topic on any rD Facebook group or reddit and you'll see how quickly they devolve into outright wars. I feel like we can have an honest discussion here with a wide variety of abilities and experiences and nobody gets too upset or takes it personally.

For me, Disney runs are the treat I get for training. If I want to try and PR, I need to do it on a course with fewer distractions. (AKA Tell me you have ADHD without telling me... ;) )

Last edited:
I had fun doing the 10-miler as my very first race ever. The splash party was a lot of fun too. I had several good friendly conversations with others in various lines around TL. If it was with any of you, hello again. :)

I was training like crazy and finished around my estimated time. I'm a power walker, and not a runner. Next up is the wine&dine HM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter