Springtime Surprise Weekend 2024 (April 18-21)

Are the "old days" of long sell out times back, or is this a Springtime Surprise specific thing?
As of right now I'd say it's Springtime Surprise specific, last year it went significantly longer to sell out than the others as well (6 months for the 10 miler!). In fact I was surprised that the Challenge had sold out as quickly as it did last week but now it's back, we'll see how long this lasts.

Do we think the 5K might reopen?
According to the Twitter RD registration tracker it has reopened once already, sold out again a minute later. It'll probably pop up again here and there, maybe in greater numbers if they need to unload charity bibs.

Are the "old days" of long sell out times back, or is this a Springtime Surprise specific thing?
I think it's a race weekend timing issue. That race weekend, whether you call it Star Wars or Springtime Surprise falls into a number of traps, from being during Spring Break season, making it a very expensive proposition to attend, the emerging heat in FL that time of year, and probably even some "RunDisney fatigue" since it comes close on the heels of the very popular MW and Princess races. I lump Star Wars and SS together because they both seem to be following the same pattern. An initial surge of popularity for the initial weekends due to their novelty followed by a progressive drop in popularity and attendance afterwards. It's been an open question of whether Star Wars wasn't popular due to its theme or if its timing was hurting it. The similar pattern in popularity after the theme change points more to the timing being the primary issue, to me.

I also think it's just timing and specific to Springtime Surprise.

Presumably this particular weekend timing is chosen to fill resort occupancy in the gap not covered by spring breaks, Easter, and summer breaks. It follows that these races would sell more slowly because the pool of people able to vacation at this time (let alone willing to race-cation in warm Florida at this time) is smaller.

Therefore some springtime races sell out more slowly. Sometimes. I mean, the 'OHana Challenge sold out quick!

I also think the theme and design quality make a difference. The artwork released for the 2024 race looks really spectacular and that, plus these cute characters and overall cohesive theme, certainly enticed me.

It's still popular and likely serves Disney's purposes quite well. I personally love this spring race weekend — it's the one runDisney weekend that is almost always guaranteed to fit with my work schedule!

Last edited:
I also think it's just timing and specific to Springtime Surprise.

Presumably this particular weekend timing is chosen to fill resort occupancy in the gap not covered by spring breaks, Easter, and summer breaks. It follows that these races would sell more slowly because the pool of people able to vacation at this time (let alone willing to race-cation in warm Florida at this time) is smaller.

Therefore some springtime races sell out more slowly. Sometimes. I mean, the O'Hana Challenge sold out quick!

I also think the theme and design quality make a difference. The artwork released for the 2024 race looks really spectacular and that, plus these cute characters and overall cohesive theme, certainly enticed me.

It's still popular and likely serves Disney's purposes quite well. I personally love this spring race weekend — it's the one runDisney weekend that is almost always guaranteed to fit with my work schedule!
I did the ten miler this year and I knew I'd have to love the theme to run a ten miler in Florida again in mid-April. It was steamy. Plus I signed up for Princess when my cousins decided to go.

I think it's going to be a SS thing. Time of year makes it way more expensive, people with families are juggling around when their spring break occurs. I know that SIL and I ran the 10k 2 years ago ONLY because it happened to be the week of our spring break AND we happened to be vacationing in Orlando.

I also think that the tendency toward really crappy running conditions will have some of the the "every-timers" scaling back what they run.

I'm seeing so many references to the weather for SS... I'm running the 10-miler and wondering how warm has it actually been for the past couple of years?

I'm seeing so many references to the weather for SS... I'm running the 10-miler and wondering how warm has it actually been for the past couple of years?
I think it was low 70s with humidity higher than 90% this past April. It wasn't bad, but if you're not used to that humidity (I live in Colorado), you need to be careful. I slowed down and had excuses to stop for characters, and refilled my water bottle at one of the water stops. Then I took electrolytes at every single water stop and used my water bottle between stops.

They slowed all of the pace groups down for the 10mi this year didn’t they? There were some pretty gnarley pics of the morning humidity/fog

Last edited:
Is anyone buying tickets for the After Party? I’m salty it’s not included with the 10mi/Challenge the way the Epcot party is included for F&W Half. I also think the price is outrageous for what it is - this past Springtime Surprise weekend they were doing super discounted (I think half price) tickets for TL so we bought those because they were only like $30 each. $85 is insane - that’s almost $20 MORE than a full day ticket, and unlike the Park after hours/parties I feel like there’s a lot less on offer to justify the extra cost.

Is anyone buying tickets for the After Party? I’m salty it’s not included with the 10mi/Challenge the way the Epcot party is included for F&W Half. I also think the price is outrageous for what it is - this past Springtime Surprise weekend they were doing super discounted (I think half price) tickets for TL so we bought those because they were only like $30 each. $85 is insane - that’s almost $20 MORE than a full day ticket, and unlike the Park after hours/parties I feel like there’s a lot less on offer to justify the extra cost.
I was considering it but I think I'm going to skip and try and get some sleep that night so I can head to work straight from the airport on Mon...

I am thinking I probably won’t. It is an ‘After-Hours’ party event, so you do get some ‘free’ items included. Since it is a shorter trip for me, I am not sure I want to spend that time at the party. And like you, I was thinking the cost seemed a little much, when I thought you could buy a day pass for less (although it wouldn’t include the extras). I don’t know. I may change my mind later.

I did, because I really liked spending time at TL last Springtime and it seems like a fun way to finish off the weekend. I have an AP, so this is the only “park ticket” I have to buy.

I'm a bit curious about the party, but not enough to change my flight home for it. I'm heading home that evening.

Depends: as a Floridian, I’ve found it to be comfortable every year, including the SW years. For anyone else? Warm.

2023: 72-73*, 91% humidity
2022: 66*, 93% humidity - I had a throwaway layer :rotfl:
2021 (virtual - but I live in FL and ran it 4/10): 68*, 87% humidity
2019: 70-71*, 93% humidity
2018: my app didn’t catch weather for the half, but it was 66*, 97% humidity for the 10K
2017: 72*, 82% humidity

You see the pattern! Count on warm and humid. BUT we’re also done early: before sunrise for the faster folks, before the sun is very much over the horizon for even us slower peeps. That makes a HUGE difference.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter