Springtime Surprise Weekend (April 13-16, 2023)

What were the race host costumes and start wave music choices for the 5K? It could just be wishful thinking, but I thought that they were hinting at the return of Star Wars based upon the pre-race for the Ten Miler. Then again, it could have just been Disney wanting to hype up Obi-Wan Kenobi since the trailer had only recently been released.
Well now I have to ask what they were hinting at with the 10k as well. Because I've thought Guardians (for either the 5k or 10k) and SW (for the 10 miler if they use this same map, or *maybe* a half) make a lot of sense for next year. We had also talked about a 5k centered on MK in the other thread, and if they really want to lean in on the surprise theme (I think the last time they had a 5k in MK was 2011?) I think that would be a great one.

The other theme I thought might make sense, if they wanted to return to AK, would be Pandora.

Well now I have to ask what they were hinting at with the 10k as well. Because I've thought Guardians (for either the 5k or 10k) and SW (for the 10 miler if they use this same map, or *maybe* a half) make a lot of sense for next year. We had also talked about a 5k centered on MK in the other thread, and if they really want to lean in on the surprise theme (I think the last time they had a 5k in MK was 2011?) I think that would be a great one.

The other theme I thought might make sense, if they wanted to return to AK, would be Pandora.
Guardians would presumably be in Epcot. Where would the 10 Miler or HM be for Star Wars then? They could always repeat Epcot much like they do for Marathon Weekend. Perhaps it would be the same course as the Ten Miler going through GE with an additional 3.1 added on.

What were the race host costumes and start wave music choices for the 5K? It could just be wishful thinking, but I thought that they were hinting at the return of Star Wars based upon the pre-race for the Ten Miler. Then again, it could have just been Disney wanting to hype up Obi-Wan Kenobi since the trailer had only recently been released.
All the start music was cartoon theme songs. I was in the Darkwing Duck wave of my corral. The whole crowd got into singing when Duck Tales came on.

Guardians would presumably be in Epcot. Where would the 10 Miler or HM be for Star Wars then? They could always repeat Epcot much like they do for Marathon Weekend. Perhaps it would be the same course as the Ten Miler going through GE with an additional 3.1 added on.
My guess for next year is that the 5k runs through AK or MK (leaning towards MK now because that would truly fit the surprise theme and would be far more exciting than another Epcot 5k or a repeat of this year's AK course with a different theme), the 10k stays an Epcot race, and a GE 10 miler would just be the same map as ToT. I'm not sure how they would do it if it were a half marathon and including a run through GE. I'm eyeing the old SW half course and maybe you skip the Epcot loop? Basically replacing one loop with another. Reverse it so it starts in the Epcot lot and finishes at MK lot. Big question is if that works logistically with park openings.

Anyway, fast forward to June or July when they announce the themes and I'm wrong about all of this.

My guess for next year is that the 5k runs through AK or MK (leaning towards MK now because that would truly fit the surprise theme and would be far more exciting than another Epcot 5k or a repeat of this year's AK course with a different theme), the 10k stays an Epcot race, and a GE 10 miler would just be the same map as ToT. I'm not sure how they would do it if it were a half marathon and including a run through GE. I'm eyeing the old SW half course and maybe you skip the Epcot loop? Basically replacing one loop with another. Reverse it so it starts in the Epcot lot and finishes at MK lot. Big question is if that works logistically with park openings.

Anyway, fast forward to June or July when they announce the themes and I'm wrong about all of this.
There's a part of me hoping that it's not GOTG for the 10K and SW for the 10 Miler/HM...that means that my daughter and I will HAVE to sign up for both races being HUGE Marvel and Star Wars fans. I can only imagine how cool the Guardians medal could be...maybe the Milano.

Starting a thread for the 2023 weekend. (I didn’t find another one, but if there is one point me in the right direction!)

Dates: April 13-16, 2023

Club runDisney - August 16, 2022
General - August 23, 2022
Virtual - August 26, 2022

What themes and distances are you hoping for?

I booked my DVC room this morning, and I couldn’t find a thread started yet. Now hopefully I will actually be able to register!

I really enjoyed this year’s event. The 10 mile course was great! If they could make it a half marathon, but could mostly be the same - Awesome!

Night races aren’t my favorite, but I know a lot of people like them. I hope if there is a night race, it is one of the shorter distances.

Theme?? I’m open for anything!

If anniversaries mean anything, it's going to be the 30th for both Hocus Pocus and NBC, and 20th for POTC and Finding Nemo.

I emailed runDisney recently about perfect status as well. The response I received was that there is no perfect status currently (not 5 years yet), and that they are always evaluating their offerings. They cannot comment on future offerings.

Basically, "we don't know."

I emailed runDisney recently about perfect status as well. The response I received was that there is no perfect status currently (not 5 years yet), and that they are always evaluating their offerings. They cannot comment on future offerings.

Basically, "we don't know."
I don't get "we don't know" specifically out of that reply. It could just be "we don't want to announce/confirm stuff like that this far in advance." That would also be more consistent with the reply I received from runDisney, and the fact that an emcee at the 2022 race mentioned perfect status. YMMV.

I don't get "we don't know" specifically out of that reply. It could just be "we don't want to announce/confirm stuff like that this far in advance." That would also be more consistent with the reply I received from runDisney, and the fact that an emcee at the 2022 race mentioned perfect status. YMMV.

I don't disagree with you at all. Admittedly, at this point I'm treating "we don't want to say anything this far in advance" and "we don't know what we're going to do yet" as the same. Instead of "perfect", they may call it something else due to the changing distances. Or they make put different rules in place (longest distance of the weekend vs a specific distance). I'm planning to run for the first 5 years and see what happens, but ultimately I don't think runDisney has fully figured it out yet. I do think they will do *something*, just because it's a cheap/free way to encourage returning races to that weekend.

I didn't see a thread on this yet, but if I missed it let me know.
I wasn't really paying attention to dates, and now realize this is during my kids' April break. It will be too many DVC points to get a room for 6, so looks like I will be staying offsite for the first time, and then will have to start driving home to CT after I shower Sunday. Off to find a VRBO! (The plus side of this is my little chi mix Gaston can come along for the fun! And we are looking at getting a VRBO near Vero for the beginning part of the week to make it a longer vacation with a little more relaxing going on)
can we rename this thread to springTIME surprise? .... i know i am being really nitpicky, sorry, but i just like the actual name of the race.

can we rename this thread to springTIME surprise? .... i know i am being really nitpicky, sorry, but i just like the actual name of the race.
I agree, and I don't think it's really nitpicky, because anyone searching titles with the correct name currently won't find this thread. I missed the active Club runDisney thread for weeks after I started looking because it was named "Club Run Disney", and I didn't think to include that space in my search.

I am excited for the theme announcements & to see what the surprise will be! Sign up is in August correct? I plan to book a room only as soon as dates open since I have an AP (Sorcerer)

Was so bummed to miss this year due to other plans. The 5k in AK would have been fun since I missed those races years ago.

I am excited for the theme announcements & to see what the surprise will be! Sign up is in August correct? I plan to book a room only as soon as dates open since I have an AP (Sorcerer)

Was so bummed to miss this year due to other plans. The 5k in AK would have been fun since I missed those races years ago.
Yes!

Club runDisney - August 16, 2022
General - August 23, 2022
Virtual - August 26, 2022

I went ahead and booked at home resort today, so hopefully registration works out! I plan to do the challenge again. Very interested to see how the perfect status plays out. And if I ultimately have to go four more times, so be it! I am prepared to go on more Disney vacations!

It will probably get merged to the other thread but here are some theme ideas:
—Epcot 40 since W&D didn’t do it….maybe the distances will add up to the challenge being 40K (24.8 miles)
—Muppets (just cause the DL cast members 5k was Muppet themed)
—Disney Afternoon (keeping w/90s theme of MW, plus maybe the 2022 5k send off music was a teaser)
—“Blockbusters” (avatar //GoTG // Star Wars)
—Just Star Wars

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter