Springtime Surprise Weekend (April 13-16, 2023)

Popping in to catch up and happy to see so many had a great race experience!
I looooved the 10-miler just as much as last year’s: that course is just so perfect. Started in the back of B, stopped for a lot of pics, and managed to clock 3:20:00 flat. Got my money’s worth! :rotfl: Grabbed a GOTG BG at 7am mid-race and spent the day at EP before hopping to DHS in the evening, where Rise, MF, and TOT were all 5-10 min waits. WHAT?!?! It was crazy!
We went to Hollywood Studios on Sunday and the lines were surprisingly short all day. Slinky Dog was 26 minutes a little after park open. We did Rise after lunch and it was only 35 minutes. My 3 yo's first time. <3

Still missing a few character pics from the 10 miler… is it too early to send a request to Photopass? (Still missing Carl from up and the Princess ant from a bugs life)

Got home and walked my dog! So nice to be home. Very fun weekend! I really enjoyed Springtime Surprise! I love the medals and really liked the race shirts and merch. My wife is likely to throw something at me but I think I will come back next year (was only supposed to go to one weekend next year and already have MW booked).

Plus, there is still that piece of me wondering about Perfect Status. Rise and Run say that the SS Weekend won’t be considered for perfect status. And on the boards some folks have confirmed this, but others have said it is possible. So after I duck flying objects I will register for SS Weekend Challenge #3 just in case.

What did you all think of the weekend? Anyone else planning to return?

Got home and walked my dog! So nice to be home. Very fun weekend! I really enjoyed Springtime Surprise! I love the medals and really liked the race shirts and merch. My wife is likely to throw something at me but I think I will come back next year (was only supposed to go to one weekend next year and already have MW booked).

Plus, there is still that piece of me wondering about Perfect Status. Rise and Run say that the SS Weekend won’t be considered for perfect status. And on the boards some folks have confirmed this, but others have said it is possible. So after I duck flying objects I will register for SS Weekend Challenge #3 just in case.

I’ll be back. I really enjoy the 10 mile distance so fingers crossed they stick with it! I think it’s safe to say 2024 will be 10 miles due to the C2C requirements. It says 2024 DL half plus the 10 miler or half at WDW that same calendar year.

I liked it a lot. Had a better time than I expected and my recent bitterness towards RD washed away a bit. That said they’d have to do something very interesting for me to come back for another round of this one, if I do another WDW weekend in the next few years it’s more likely to be MW again, and that won’t be happening until at least 2025. I’m basically expecting a repeat of the maps (maybe a different 10k since they have more options there) with a new theme. Maybe next year is the year they bring SW back, would be five years since the last Rival Run.

did anyone else notice that the speakers on the course only had a volume setting of 11?
Ooh we actually said something to entertainment about the speaker over by the AWD tent. Because as I pointed out to one of the staff ‘you have a bunch of disabled people here. Some of whom are noise sensitive. This is way too loud. None of us can talk let alone deal with that.’

Thankfully they listened and turned it down. And I was honestly too into it to really fully register the other speakers. But they all probably should have been quieter

Edit: The speakers were playing that one scene from the beginning of Cars for context

I loved the distance and course, but the only way I'd be back is if I absolutely love the theme. It was very warm and humid, and I live in Denver. Humidity is next to nil, even if the locals mention it's humid. It's not. I lived in Texas. I know humidity. Our winter was quite cold, and even though I got outside, I just can't acclimate to that kind of heat and humidity if I don't live in it. If they do have a theme I have to do, I'll reconsider. If they bring back a villains theme, it would be quite tempting.

I loved the distance and course, but the only way I'd be back is if I absolutely love the theme. It was very warm and humid, and I live in Denver. Humidity is next to nil, even if the locals mention it's humid. It's not. I lived in Texas. I know humidity. Our winter was quite cold, and even though I got outside, I just can't acclimate to that kind of heat and humidity if I don't live in it. If they do have a theme I have to do, I'll reconsider. If they bring back a villains theme, it would be quite tempting.
The weather is so hit or miss this time of year, too. Could be hot and humid, could be chilly, could be raining. I don't know if I'd do the challenge again, might just do one race next year, depending on the theme.

I probably won’t be back in 24 but not because I didn’t like the race. It just I want to do other race weekends. I landed on this one initially because I was waiting on my racer. And both Princess and MW 23s weekends opened and closed before it was in my possession.

I don’t regret doing it. Especially after the last year. But yeah this will be a one and done for me almost certainly

I looooved how chill the race weekend was. The expo was the complete opposite of MW and I appreciate that. I’m not sure if I will return. It was difficult to do this in combination with a family trip…parks every day all day. And keep up with my regular training schedule. I’ve already missed this weeks training because I am exhausted and my feet are sad. But the exhaustion has everything to do with being at Disney for an extended period of time and nothing to do with the races. I feel quite guilty about missing three runs this week and it’s making me question if I’d be willing to plan a Disney trip during a spring training cycle again. The heat and humidity was rough but I handled it better than I thought I would. I love the 10 mile distance. If the weather was more favorable I feel like I could’ve posted a pretty solid time.

Sounds like most people enjoyed the past weekend. Definitely a nice change from MW expo craziness. My only complaint would be the congestion and wall of walkers right from the start but I don’t think that will ever change.

This was year 2 for me on this weekend. I am hoping to return. My plan is to go to year 5 in hopes they do offer perfect status.
Same here. I was the one who contacted runDisney before the first SS and received the reply (which I posted in these forums) that they would be honoring perfect status. At the time, nobody was sure how "surprising" SS would be (different distances maybe?), so there were questions about whether "perfect" even made sense. But, based on these first 2 years at least, it's not looking like that's really an issue, so I'm still optimistic that the reply I received is accurate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter