SSR crowds

kaytieedid

Mouseketeer
I remember seeing posts on here a while back about people coming from downtown Disney and using the buses. Has anyone had further experience with that?

This may not be an issue anymore since the walkway from SSR to Downtown Disney is closed due to the Disney Springs expansion.

Hi! We are currently at SSR right now. Last night more than half of the bus was asking directions on how to get to their off site hotelmfrom the DTD area from EPCOT. This left my husband and several other DVC (wearing DVC clothing) members to stand on the bus back. This happens every time we stay at our beloved SSR. One family (off site) told another that they loved using SSR to get back to their off site hotel and to tell others of this method of transport. Someone asked my DH how to get to the Hitlon from MK on DEC 30, my DH responded, I have no idea, as we only stay on site and use Disney transport as we should.
All I can say is we will be once again writing another email to DVC and Disney about this busing issue. Our family LOVES SSR, but this is a huge issue when we don't get on busses or our children must stand due to off site guests parking at DTD or walking from their DTD area off site hotels. I do understand why Isney does this but it is very inconvenient to the people staying on site.

On our October 2013 trip we saw this happen repeatedly and with bus drivers telling people where to get off for DTD. It is extremely frustrating to us. We will be contacting Disney again as well. Something needs to be done and not just a stock response from Disney. It absolutely is unfair to us SSR lovers.

SSR is our home resort and we love it there. As said it is nothing no more aggravating than to get on a crowded bus and learn that half the occupants are freeloading because they are to cheap to pay for parking. I noticed this happening three years ago, but last time we stayed there, two years ago, it was just ridiculous. You would think as long as this has been going on, Disney would have come up with a way of preventing this from continually happening. Possibly presenting room key/ticket, magic bands, or DVC members cards at boarding could solve this problem. Hate to sound like a stick in the mud but when you see tired women with sleepy children standing when they should be sitting because these people are in their seats it doesn't make you fell very Magical.

this has happened to be A LOT of times as well... and I have written Disney about it too. I even had to stand up with my 7 month old child once which was frustrating enough (no one was offering me a seat with her) and come to find out 3/4s of the bus sitting down were just looking for a way to go to downtown Disney. I fear this may be worse after the new walkway.. but it all depends on the parking garages too I assume

all Disney has to do it provide transportation FROM the theme parks to downtown Disney (but not load dtd to the theme parks)

I think Disney recently started bus service from the parks to DTD due to all of the construction. hopefully this will have an impact. Even if this issue continues to occur, a simple bus traffic study, which Disney does all the time, would show them that adding a few more busses to the route would solve the problem. However, I don't think they see standing room only as a problem, nor are we entitled to seats on every bus (after all, the overhead straps are there for a reason). SSR is our home resort, and we stay there more than anywhere else, but I have been on standing room only busses to AKL and OKW as we'll on many occasions. If people started missing busses on a regular basis due to overcrowding (not just at park closing), that would be a different matter.

Now with magic bands can't they require those to get on bus? I know they could require use of room keys but magic bands are already out and on the wrist.

yeah but everyone will have magic bands at some point (even off property guests)

I'm not concerned about a "seat"... I'm concerned about getting on a bus or waiting longer, etc. when our DVC dues help pay for this transportation

from my understanding AK is the only park testing the transportation to DTD? are others doing this now?

yeah but everyone will have magic bands at some point (even off property guests) I'm not concerned about a "seat"... I'm concerned about getting on a bus or waiting longer, etc. when our DVC dues help pay for this transportation from my understanding AK is the only park testing the transportation to DTD? are others doing this now?

Yes but it will have coded if staying onsite or not. Not free but could work, I do doubt that Disney views this as a big deal so nothing will probably be done.

Hi! We are currently at SSR right now. Last night more than half of the bus was asking directions on how to get to their off site hotelmfrom the DTD area from EPCOT. This left my husband and several other DVC (wearing DVC clothing) members to stand on the bus back. This happens every time we stay at our beloved SSR. One family (off site) told another that they loved using SSR to get back to their off site hotel and to tell others of this method of transport. Someone asked my DH how to get to the Hitlon from MK on DEC 30, my DH responded, I have no idea, as we only stay on site and use Disney transport as we should.
All I can say is we will be once again writing another email to DVC and Disney about this busing issue. Our family LOVES SSR, but this is a huge issue when we don't get on busses or our children must stand due to off site guests parking at DTD or walking from their DTD area off site hotels. I do understand why Isney does this but it is very inconvenient to the people staying on site.

Waste of time writing this has been going on for years now and DVC or Disney don't care about the people who own at SSR. its not just owners may have to stand they also get left to wait for another bus.

Yes but it will have coded if staying onsite or not. Not free but could work, I do doubt that Disney views this as a big deal so nothing will probably be done.

The problem is everyone is entitled to use the buses offsite and on site so using magic bands would change nothing.

Consider the options Disney has for fixing this problem:

- Require MagicBand or card to get on bus: Big costs to add readers, and offsite guests typically have an RFID ticket, so they're authorized for the bus anyway. No win.

- Have a guard shack on the walkway from DTD to Saratoga, with a gate you can bypass with your magicband/card. Would slow down the foot traffic from DTD and hassle the paying guests, and people would just say they were going over to view the grounds, visit a friend, eat at Artist Palette, etc., all of which anyone is allowed to do.

- Charge money for DTD parking. Requires hiring parking attendants, putting in gates, complicated systems for validated parking, etc. Reduces revenue at DTD.

All of these are expensive. And even if they worked, they actually don't improve the guest experience for people at Saratoga, because if Disney were actually able to reduce the number of people sneaking over from DTD, they'd just reduce bus service accordingly. Everyone, even non-Saratoga guests, may end up standing on the bus during busy times. Saratoga doesn't have it any worse than any other resort. All the buses have standees at the end of the night.

You mentally imagine that if there were fewer people trying to get out of paying for parking, you'd be able to sit down. Except you wouldn't - they'd have slightly fewer buses running to Saratoga, and you'd have exactly the same chance of having to stand as before. The number of buses is not fixed - it is adjusted to meet demand. People walking over from DTD increase demand, and the bus service people react accordingly by sending more buses.

So from a guest experience standpoint, Disney is doing a great job. They know there are some folks who walk over. They probably know exactly how many. And they just put on more buses to handle them. Problem solved. If Disney felt like they could get those guests to pay the parking fees somehow, they'd do that. But every solution causes more hassles for paying guests, and that's a lot to pay. It's way easier to just put on more buses.

Consider the options Disney has for fixing this problem: - Require MagicBand or card to get on bus: Big costs to add readers, and offsite guests typically have an RFID ticket, so they're authorized for the bus anyway. No win. - Have a guard shack on the walkway from DTD to Saratoga, with a gate you can bypass with your magicband/card. Would slow down the foot traffic from DTD and hassle the paying guests, and people would just say they were going over to view the grounds, visit a friend, eat at Artist Palette, etc., all of which anyone is allowed to do. - Charge money for DTD parking. Requires hiring parking attendants, putting in gates, complicated systems for validated parking, etc. Reduces revenue at DTD. All of these are expensive. And even if they worked, they actually don't improve the guest experience for people at Saratoga, because if Disney were actually able to reduce the number of people sneaking over from DTD, they'd just reduce bus service accordingly. Everyone, even non-Saratoga guests, may end up standing on the bus during busy times. Saratoga doesn't have it any worse than any other resort. All the buses have standees at the end of the night. You mentally imagine that if there were fewer people trying to get out of paying for parking, you'd be able to sit down. Except you wouldn't - they'd have slightly fewer buses running to Saratoga, and you'd have exactly the same chance of having to stand as before. The number of buses is not fixed - it is adjusted to meet demand. People walking over from DTD increase demand, and the bus service people react accordingly by sending more buses. So from a guest experience standpoint, Disney is doing a great job. They know there are some folks who walk over. They probably know exactly how many. And they just put on more buses to handle them. Problem solved. If Disney felt like they could get those guests to pay the parking fees somehow, they'd do that. But every solution causes more hassles for paying guests, and that's a lot to pay. It's way easier to just put on more buses.

I understand what you're saying but based on the 8 different times I have stayed there vs other locations....I certainly don't feel like they send more busses for the DTD crowds that overtake the SSR buses. Disney needs to have busses FROM the parks to DTD but not pickup from DTD ...I feel like that is more of the problem than the free parkers at DTD walking over to get to the parks

So from a guest experience standpoint, Disney is doing a great job.

And from an SSR owners point they are not, and you failed to explain at park closing why should owners/paying guests at SSR have to wait for a second or even third bus while others are just using them to get too DTD.

And from an SSR owners point they are not, and you failed to explain at park closing why should owners/paying guests at SSR have to wait for a second or even third bus while others are just using them to get too DTD.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said Disney is doing a "great job" because they aren't doing a great job on the bus service in general; it's an adequate job, and better than, say, any offsite hotel, but that's not saying much.

I'm only mildly disagreeing with the idea that SSR has much worse bus service than the other resorts. From my experience, the resort with the worst bus service is Boardwalk, and lots of people seem to agree. The worst experiences I've ever had with crowds, waiting for multiple buses, etc. have happened when we were at the Boardwalk. My experience with SSR, while much less extensive than yours, have been comparatively good.

Wow, I haven't checked in for a while. Thanks for the responses everyone. I actually wrote this post while at SSR. I didn't want to jump to any conclusions so I thought I would get others opinions. I realize it was over the New Year's holiday but I have never experienced bus situations like I did during my past trip to SSR. We experienced high crowds in the park during our 4th of July trip, but didn't have any bus issues where we were staying. I have stayed at every DVC resort and most likely won't stay at SSR again. It's a shame because we really loved the resort and my kids loved the pool. But every time we wanted to go to a park it was a chore. As someone previously stated the buses were packed with standing room only. I don't mind standing, but I couldn't get over the number of people waiting for and getting on these buses. OKW has nothing but bus transportation and some of the times we were the only ones on it. I had someone ask me how to get to DTD as well. The buses were so packed we would get off at the first stop and just walk to our building which would have been at the end of the line.

I really don't understand while Disney does not do something.

long, long ago when at CBR - you only got on a Disney resort bus by showing your room key.

now with the magic bands won't even be able to do that....

not sure about offsite guest getting the same magic bands that onsite will get - since it will only be their key and fast pass stuff. that might help???

there is a different in Disney park buses (which anyone with a ticket can get on) and a Disney resort bus send to the resort.

If I can see a difference then why can't DIsney. It is hurting their bottom line - parking fees.

if they want to allow offsiters to continue to park at DD and by the way the merchandise at DD don't like it either - they are also losing business.

don't know about a person - but gates might work - just have the gate that lets you out - see a recipt for something you brought in DD.

getting parking at DD is one of my biggest pet peeves. It is a BIG problem especially when staying at BWV, BC, YC, BLT, Polyn, GF, CR - because of the slow bus problem to and from DD.

SSR is my home resort-LOVE it. We have stayed there 5 times (including a summer trip and New Years trip). The only real bus trouble we experienced (above and beyond other resort experiences) was trying to get to MVMCP. This thread got me wondering what Disney's policy really is...not what we assume. I too thought resort transportation was for resort guests only...I think I was wrong. The following is direct from Disney.com :
------

Transportation Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I'm not staying at a Disney Resort hotel. Can I use the monorails, buses and boats to get around Walt Disney World Resort?

A. Yes. All Guests have complimentary access to our network of monorails, buses and boats. If you would like to visit multiple parks, enjoy a nice dinner at one of the Disney Resort hotels or shop at Downtown Disney Area, you can leave your car parked in the theme park lot and use our transportation network. While there are many ways to get around Walt Disney World Resort, here are several recommended routes that may be convenient for Guests who are not staying at a Disney Resort hotel, but wish to visit multiple parks: Magic Kingdom park and Epcot are connected via monorail Epcot and Disneys Hollywood Studios are connected via boat Magic Kingdom park and Disneys Hollywood Studios are connected via bus Disneys Animal Kingdom theme park is connected to the 3 other theme parks via bus Learn more about Walt Disney World Resort transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter