SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

Staying here for the first time ever with my best friend and my mom in November! I’m excited, I’ve never stayed in a 1 bedroom before! Which building do you guys prefer?

it depends on what you are looking for. All the neighborhoods are nice. If you will be spending days in the Parks you might want the Grandstand as it is the first bus stop. If you plan to spend most of your time at Disney Springs you might want Congress Park. If you want to hang by the pool then the Paddocks or Springs are great. If you want peace and quiet then Carousel is your best bet.

My son wants to golf so I heard Grandstand is a great location to request. We know we will be doing Disney Springs and it doesn't appear the walk from Congress Park is too far from the Carriage House. Is "The Springs" really a great preferred category because its between the Paddock pool and Rock pool?

We're big golfers and we always request the Grandstand in the 2 buildings closest to the Pro Shop (building room #s 8501-8836 and 8101-8436). Pre COVID, we would often leave our clubs at the Pro shop and if we were playing any of the other Disney Golf Courses (Magnolia, Palms or Oak Trail) we would let the Pro Shop know 24hours ahead and they would transport the Clubs to the other Pro Shop (all 3 of the courses are located near Shades of Green and share the same Pro Shop).

Also, you can walk over to the Westside of DS from the Grandstand. You'll need to walk by the Pro Shop and over the bridge. Make a left on the cart path and walk by the 1st tee box and putting green and continue walking thru the parking lot (near Cirque Du Soleil builing).

it depends on what you are looking for. All the neighborhoods are nice. If you will be spending days in the Parks you might want the Grandstand as it is the first bus stop. If you plan to spend most of your time at Disney Springs you might want Congress Park. If you want to hang by the pool then the Paddocks or Springs are great. If you want peace and quiet then Carousel is your best bet.

I’m thinking the Paddock might be the perfect fit for us. We want to be close to Disney Springs, but we didn’t get preferred, just regular! Thanks for the tips! 🥰

We are huge DVC fans and a big family. Kids range from little to my oldest who is now a teenager (I'm still in total disbelief). Anyway, with schedules changing this will be our first trip in January and since it was planned late I could only get in to SSR. At first it was a standard room but I switched to preferred, but we have to switch rooms after the first night because I could only get a 2BD lock off and then a 2BD dedicated for the last 6 nights.

I did this because I figured anything less than preferred might be a let down to the kids.

Is my thinking correct. Since our home/usual resorts are BCV, AKV, BWV (and we squeeze GFV in there whenever we can), etc. I felt that it would be a big letdown to not be closer to the theming and action if we are going to do a stay at SSR. Am I crazy? My kids are not hard to please. With each vacation they tell me they couldn't imagine I could have planned it better.

They love everything about Disney, but this is probably the least exciting Disney themed resort they will have stayed in?

Would love some input from people who have stayed here with kids. Is it still just as fun? Is the main pool the best or could I just have easily have requested Paddock and they would have been happy there as well? What are some things that are special or exciting for kids at SSR that I might want to take advantage of?

I'm going to try to get tickets to the new Cirque show...and thinking of ways to enjoy Disney Springs and they LOOOOVE to eat and I mean everything from raw oysters at the Boathouse to octopus sashimi at Morimoto.

Any input people have would be great.

I realize that it's all about perspective and from a DVC resort perspective, we've really been spoiled. I mean Stormalong Bay is hard to compete with...imho

I’m thinking the Paddock might be the perfect fit for us. We want to be close to Disney Springs, but we didn’t get preferred, just regular! Thanks for the tips! 🥰
Depending on which building you get, and which part of Disney Springs you'll spend more time in, Grandstand may be a closer walk. This is a map I posted a while back comparing the walk to DS from Grandstand to the Springs, but you can see the Paddock buildings continue up off the top of the image (the Paddock pool is ALMOST off the top). But... don't sweat it too much. It'll be great no matter where you are.

We are huge DVC fans and a big family. Kids range from little to my oldest who is now a teenager (I'm still in total disbelief). Anyway, with schedules changing this will be our first trip in January and since it was planned late I could only get in to SSR. At first it was a standard room but I switched to preferred, but we have to switch rooms after the first night because I could only get a 2BD lock off and then a 2BD dedicated for the last 6 nights.

I did this because I figured anything less than preferred might be a let down to the kids.

Is my thinking correct. Since our home/usual resorts are BCV, AKV, BWV (and we squeeze GFV in there whenever we can), etc. I felt that it would be a big letdown to not be closer to the theming and action if we are going to do a stay at SSR. Am I crazy? My kids are not hard to please. With each vacation they tell me they couldn't imagine I could have planned it better.

They love everything about Disney, but this is probably the least exciting Disney themed resort they will have stayed in?

Would love some input from people who have stayed here with kids. Is it still just as fun? Is the main pool the best or could I just have easily have requested Paddock and they would have been happy there as well? What are some things that are special or exciting for kids at SSR that I might want to take advantage of?

I'm going to try to get tickets to the new Cirque show...and thinking of ways to enjoy Disney Springs and they LOOOOVE to eat and I mean everything from raw oysters at the Boathouse to octopus sashimi at Morimoto.

I realize that it's all about perspective and from a DVC resort perspective, we've really been spoiled. I mean Stormalong Bay is hard to compete with...imho
The usual draw of SSR is its proximity to Disney Springs. If that's something your family appreciates, then you won't be disappointed. A new plus for a large family comes for anyone who is sleeping in the living room. All the rooms as SSR are refurbished and have the pull down murphy bed (plus a bonus bed under the TV), which by all reports beats the sofa beds in the other resorts any day.

The pools are really fun and the activity center is really nice. Make sure to waitlist that one night. Hopefully that would come through and you won't have to switch rooms!

A comment about the murphy bed - My trip over 4th weekend was solo in a 1-bedroom, but since I do other trips during the year with family, I really wanted to know how that murphy bed compared to the old couch-flip beds...so I tried it as soon as I got there. HUGE improvement. Very comfortable, mattress thick enough to pass for a normal bed, no lumps or bars, no metal bars or rims to bang your legs on getting out, and for anyone wanting to quickly clear the space in the morning when family comes out of their rooms, it's a cinch to just toss it up into the wall (you can do it even without making the bed or removing blankets).

I didn't try the small cabinet bed under the TV, as I'd likely never end up using it (the largest group I go with is 4, and that's with two couples).

As for SSR and kids - I can't imagine kids being too disappointed (and if they are, remind them they're at Disney World and they could be home doing homework if they'd prefer)...the main pool would definitely be fun, but even the quiet pools would entertain. The walk over to Disney Springs is a great convenience - tons of restaurants and shopping, and even places for the kids to enjoy. Depending on the kid...I know when I was young I considered going on the Disney boats or monorail to be nearly as fun as the rides in the parks...so you can also use the Disney Springs bus stop to get to the parks by taking the bus to a resort close to the park of choice, and then using that resort's boat or monorail (or Skyliner) transportation to head over to the park. That has never left me as I grew up - I still love taking the boats or Skyliner into the parks rather than a bus, and usually go out of my way to use them. When the Disney Springs boats are up and running again, I"ll use those too when returning to SSR from the parks - I'll jump on the Port Orleans French Quarter bus, walk out to the boat, and take that to the Marketplace bus stop, which is right next to Congress Park where I usually stay at SSR.

Depending on the kid...I know when I was young I considered going on the Disney boats or monorail to be nearly as fun as the rides in the parks...so you can also use the Disney Springs bus stop to get to the parks by taking the bus to a resort close to the park of choice, and then using that resort's boat or monorail (or Skyliner) transportation to head over to the park. That has never left me as I grew up - I still love taking the boats or Skyliner into the parks rather than a bus, and usually go out of my way to use them.
Me too! Actually sometimes we just ride around from one place to another just for fun without any plans in particular. :boat:

BTW - I finally got around to downloading photos from my July 2-6 trip, staying at Saratoga, Congress Park, building 2, 3rd floor. My room (1714) was facing Disney Springs from the left side of the building (you could still see building 1 to the left, but the view to DS was pretty clear. On July 4th, I didn't have MK ressies, and was tired after a long hot day at DAK, so I resigned myself to not seeing any fireworks as I headed back to my villa at 8:30pm. I was quite surprised to find that the Marriott Orlando World Resort does a 4th of July fireworks show, and it happens to be located precisely behind Disney Springs, so as I sat on the couch in my room, I saw flashes of light and heard booms right outside the window, and sure enough, I was able to sit right on the couch and watch a full fireworks show:

original.jpg

original.jpg

And one shot zoomed out to show that I am sitting on the couch, shooting this through the sliding glass door:
original.jpg

There were others from Buildings 1 and 2 gathering on the lawn below to watch the show as well. It's not a 'Disney' fireworks show, but if you're there on the 4th and can't get into MK, or just don't feel like heading out somewhere to watch the MK show, you can just hang out around Saratoga Springs and watch this show...sometimes even from your room!

We visit Disney often and have DVC points, my girls (15 & 18) prefer SSR over the other resorts because they can visit Disney springs when the want. We have stayed at BLT, AKV & BC as well as SSR and SSR is the girls fav. I personally prefer AKV (coffee with savannah view is the best :)) but my view is not very important :)

Does anyone know if there's an ability to hook an HDMI cable into an SSR tv? We're taking a trip in a few weeks that is less park time and more just relax time at the hotel and we were maybe going to watch some movies. Just wondering if we were to bring an HDMI cord, if it works to hook up a computer to the tv.

Does anyone know if there's an ability to hook an HDMI cable into an SSR tv? We're taking a trip in a few weeks that is less park time and more just relax time at the hotel and we were maybe going to watch some movies. Just wondering if we were to bring an HDMI cord, if it works to hook up a computer to the tv.
Every TV we’ve had has had a spare HDMI input on the back to plug into. We bring a laptop with an HDMI output and use it to stream movies.

We did have an issue the last stay where housekeeping had put the remote for the main TV in the wrong room and it was the only one with an “input” button. But other than that, worked perfectly fine.

Bruce

Every TV we’ve had has had a spare HDMI input on the back to plug into. We bring a laptop with an HDMI output and use it to stream movies.

We did have an issue the last stay where housekeeping had put the remote for the main TV in the wrong room and it was the only one with an “input” button. But other than that, worked perfectly fine.

Bruce

Excellent. Thanks so much!

Quick question I secured a room at Saratoga using RCI points (win!!) from my non DVC timeshare...it's a 1 bedroom - anyone know if it is preferred or standard? I cannot figure it out - would like to know prior to submitting a room request.
It seems most often to be Standard, but it could be either. When you call Member Services to list the names of all guests and get the Disney reservation # to link to MDE, they can tell you whether it is Standard or Preferred.

I felt that it would be a big letdown to not be closer to the theming and action if we are going to do a stay at SSR.
I'm not sure what "closer to the theming" means, but when they were little, my kids had only three requirements of any WDW resort:

1: That it has a pool.
2: That the pool contains water.
3: That the water is wet.

If it were me, I'd rather be able to stay put in one room even if it meant a Standard reservation vs. being in a Preferred location but having to move. None of the locations are all that far from the main resort buildings--even the most remote corners of Carousel/Congress Park are only a half mile/10 minute walk to the area between Artists' Palette and the main pool entrance. Unless you have someone with mobility issues, it's no big deal.

You could waitlist that first night and see if it comes through, if you'd rather.

It seems most often to be Standard, but it could be either. When you call Member Services to list the names of all guests and get the Disney reservation # to link to MDE, they can tell you whether it is Standard or Preferred.

I'm not sure what "closer to the theming" means, but when they were little, my kids had only three requirements of any WDW resort:

If it were me, I'd rather be able to stay put in one room even if it meant a Standard reservation vs. being in a Preferred location but having to move. None of the locations are all that far from the main resort buildings--even the most remote corners of Carousel/Congress Park are only a half mile/10 minute walk to the area between Artists' Palette and the main pool entrance. Unless you have someone with mobility issues, it's no big deal.

You could waitlist that first night and see if it comes through, if you'd rather.

Your kids' demands are not much different than mine:
3: That the water is HEATED!!
(we vacation in Jan & Feb, and I can't jump into the cold water like I used to before I retired) :)

I seems like the Standard room for the week is gone and yes, I have waitlisted he first day so fingers crossed.

My kids have honestly never complained. Every resort we stayed in they found something to love about it. I just don't know what to expect really. Maybe I'm the one worried about the lack of theme or lack of Disney feel at SSR.

I'm sure in the end they will love it and as far as the closeness to the pool, etc. is concerned, that is more for my Mom. She is not doing the walking as well as she used to but enjoys going to the pool with the kids so I don't want her to have to walk extra far. We will probably get her a scooter this trip, but sometimes she doesn't like to use it.

Thank you so much for the advice.....

We're big golfers and we always request the Grandstand in the 2 buildings closest to the Pro Shop (building room #s 8501-8836 and 8101-8436). Pre COVID, we would often leave our clubs at the Pro shop and if we were playing any of the other Disney Golf Courses (Magnolia, Palms or Oak Trail) we would let the Pro Shop know 24hours ahead and they would transport the Clubs to the other Pro Shop (all 3 of the courses are located near Shades of Green and share the same Pro Shop).

Also, you can walk over to the Westside of DS from the Grandstand. You'll need to walk by the Pro Shop and over the bridge. Make a left on the cart path and walk by the 1st tee box and putting green and continue walking thru the parking lot (near Cirque Du Soleil builing).

Just an FYI, I'm pretty sure the Grandstand walking path to DS is currently closed. We are here right now and my husband wandered around our first day, he was gently scolded and led to the main entrance of DS, I think it's the only one opened currently. They told him the Westside entrance is currently only for employees.

My kids have honestly never complained. Every resort we stayed in they found something to love about it. I just don't know what to expect really. Maybe I'm the one worried about the lack of theme or lack of Disney feel at SSR.
Your kids sound a lot like mine. 🥰

We have never yet stayed at SSR either (we usually stay close to parks- or at AKL). However, I’ve been talking up wanting to stay at SSR so much (my first trip there is this Nov 🎉) that all 6 of my kids (ages 10 to 20) want to stay there now too!! 😆 I think if you ooze excitement, they’ll be hard pressed to find anything negative about it 😉

I hope you have a wonderful trip!!! ✨

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter