SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

Hey everyone! My husband and I will be staying at SSR in December for the first time! I do have a few questions that I am hoping someone can help me with! :)
1) What equipment is available in the gym? Specifically, is there a squat rack, barbell bench, and chin-up bar? Or is it mostly free weights and treadmills, etc?
2) We are booked in a preferred room, which I understand means we are either near the main lobby area or close to Disney Springs. Which one is the better location to catch the bus to the parks in the morning?
3) Are the busses to the parks on time, and how long do they take? I have read a lot of negative reviews regarding the bus system at SSR and I need someone to ease my mind! I have only been to WDW once before and we stayed at POFQ. If the buses are comparable to that hotel, then I know everything will be fine. We will likely be rope dropping a few times, so I just want to know how far in advance to be at the bus stop.

Thanks!
Hello! We are also going in December in a standard room. The gym is extensive, much more than free weights and treadmills. I believe it has nautilus equipment, free weights and cardio machines. I've never had issues with the busses at SSR, they usually run every 20-30 minutes. The buses shouldn't be a issue for rope drop which they start running very early. Check with the front desk upon arrival for exact times as they fluctuate depending on events and time of year.

1. no idea...I love the humble brag though ;)
2. preferred room is either Congress Park (nearest Disney Springs) or the Springs section (nearest the main building). Springs section might be worst for the buses in the morning as there's a higher chance of being full. The grandstand section is the first bus stop to load and the first to unload. You can walk to that bus stop from the main building in under 5 minutes if you'd rather not risk it.
3. Buses are about the same as everywhere. POFQ may be a little closer to the parks but not by much. It is also in the Disney Springs area. We've had pretty good luck with the buses at SSR and definitely did not note anything worse than most other places we've stayed. There is an internal bus that hits all the stops at SSR and then becomes the Disney Springs bus when it gets back to the Springs bus stop.

I wouldn't stress about logistics to and from the parks. It's a great resort with a nice Community Hall and lots to do.

Hello! We are also going in December in a standard room. The gym is extensive, much more than free weights and treadmills. I believe it has nautilus equipment, free weights and cardio machines. I've never had issues with the busses at SSR, they usually run every 20-30 minutes. The buses shouldn't be a issue for rope drop which they start running very early. Check with the front desk upon arrival for exact times as they fluctuate depending on events and time of year.

Awesome, good to know, thank you so much!! And I am so glad to hear you've never had a problem with the busses. Definitely makes me feel better! :)

1. no idea...I love the humble brag though ;)
2. preferred room is either Congress Park (nearest Disney Springs) or the Springs section (nearest the main building). Springs section might be worst for the buses in the morning as there's a higher chance of being full. The grandstand section is the first bus stop to load and the first to unload. You can walk to that bus stop from the main building in under 5 minutes if you'd rather not risk it.
3. Buses are about the same as everywhere. POFQ may be a little closer to the parks but not by much. It is also in the Disney Springs area. We've had pretty good luck with the buses at SSR and definitely did not note anything worse than most other places we've stayed. There is an internal bus that hits all the stops at SSR and then becomes the Disney Springs bus when it gets back to the Springs bus stop.

I wouldn't stress about logistics to and from the parks. It's a great resort with a nice Community Hall and lots to do.

Oh my goodness, I absolutely did not mean to sound braggy, sorry about that! The chances of me working out on a vacation is pretty slim, but DH is overly optimistic that he will, so we'll see how THAT goes.:laughing::laughing:
It sounds like the grandstand section might be better for us then. Seems like its the easiest way to grab some food and be on our merry way! I'll try not to stress about the logistics to and from the parks. I remember I did the same thing before our stay at POFQ, and in the end everything was perfect! Thanks for all the info :)

Hey everyone! My husband and I will be staying at SSR in December for the first time! I do have a few questions that I am hoping someone can help me with! :)
1) What equipment is available in the gym? Specifically, is there a squat rack, barbell bench, and chin-up bar? Or is it mostly free weights and treadmills, etc?
2) We are booked in a preferred room, which I understand means we are either near the main lobby area or close to Disney Springs. Which one is the better location to catch the bus to the parks in the morning?
3) Are the busses to the parks on time, and how long do they take? I have read a lot of negative reviews regarding the bus system at SSR and I need someone to ease my mind! I have only been to WDW once before and we stayed at POFQ. If the buses are comparable to that hotel, then I know everything will be fine. We will likely be rope dropping a few times, so I just want to know how far in advance to be at the bus stop.

Thanks!

I can't comment on the buses because we typically rent a car. However, when we stayed there last (three years ago) I was impressed with the fitness center. There were a lot of cardio options, but much more space dedicated to strength and functional training than typical resort gyms. I have some pictures stored in Shutterfly. Let me see if I can figure out a way to link them.

(Also, I didn't read that as a humble brag. We happen to own a gym, so health and fitness are an important part of our lifestyle. We don't workout the same while on vacation, but usually squeeze in a couple workouts to balance all the walking we do. No judgement from us!)

Last edited:

Thanks!

Attachments

• 163.JPG
    163.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 32
  • 164.JPG
    164.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 166.JPG
    166.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 167.JPG
    167.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 170.JPG
    170.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 171.JPG
    171.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 172.JPG
    172.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 173.JPG
    173.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 174.JPG
    174.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 31
I thought I saw a map with the various pools at the resort circled, but can't find it now.
We'll be taking a girl's trip in May and will be spending some time at the pools, so looking for advice.
We're thinking of booking a Preferred 2 bdrm.
Can you recommend an area with a pool w/in easy walking distance? (Preferably one w/ a bar/grill.) No need for water slides or anything like that.
Thank you.

I thought I saw a map with the various pools at the resort circled, but can't find it now.
We'll be taking a girl's trip in May and will be spending some time at the pools, so looking for advice.
We're thinking of booking a Preferred 2 bdrm.
Can you recommend an area with a pool w/in easy walking distance? (Preferably one w/ a bar/grill.) No need for water slides or anything like that.
Thank you.
Both preferred areas have a pool. The Springs area has the main pool and a pool bar/restaurant. The other preferred area, Vongress Park I don’t think has its own food/bar location. It’s a ‘quiet pool’.

If you stay non-preferred, request grandstand section. Very close to main area, boat to Disney Springs and has its own pool/bar.

My family stayed at SSR a few years ago. We had a huge 2 bdrm - don't remember the area.
In May a group of 3 ladies & I will be staying again in a 2 bdrm preferred - mainly for the proximity to DS and possibly bus/boat transportation.
My question is about the desirability of the higher floors.
I remember when we stayed a few years ago that I dreaded the trek up the stairs to the 3rd or 4th floor everyday! Especially w/ luggage or after a long day at the park. Those outside corridors were pretty brutal in the sun, too.
Looking at Touring Plans, they recommend 3 preferred rooms (none are on the ground floor - 2 are on the 3rd floor & 1 is on the 2nd).
Is there some reason why first floor rooms are less desirable. They don't indicate why they chose the rooms they did.
Thanks for any input you can provide.

Upper floors are preferable to us due to view and less chances of upstairs neighbors jumping on the floor or dragging furniture. We’ve stayed on the ground floor one time. It was actually our best location because it was on Grandstand right next to the pool and a very short walk to Springs. SSR has elevators unlike OKW so we’re not worried about stairs.

I understand completely. Our last stay was at a GV at OKW. I hated those walks up the stairs after park closing, then having to go upstairs to tuck the kids in bed.

Thanks everyone for all the great info in this thread! We booked SSR for the whole family for our upcoming trip. We're looking forward to trying a new-to-us resort. :)

Hey everyone....we are heading back to SSR in September for the third time....and yet I still have questions. :rolleyes1

We have previously stayed in Grandstand and Springs. This time looking to stay closer to the walkway to DS but not too far from a pool. Any suggestions?

Also this time, for the first time in a LONG time, we are flying instead of driving from NJ. If we wanted to go to Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner or Beach Club for ice cream, can we walk to DS and pick up a resort bus there or is that a huge hassle and we should just Uber?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I am by no means an expert Minnie Tink, but according to this map, the walkway to DS is near the Paddock section and the pool is between bldg #5101-5436 and bldg # 5501-5836
img_20180407_225245-jpg.316074

Sorry, I can't answer the question about going to AKL, but I'd beinterested in hearing the answer too.

Also this time, for the first time in a LONG time, we are flying instead of driving from NJ. If we wanted to go to Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner or Beach Club for ice cream, can we walk to DS and pick up a resort bus there or is that a huge hassle and we should just Uber?

It’s not a huge hassle... you could be looking at up to a 20 minute walk and then a wait for the bus. Uber will be a lot faster (on average ours took 3 minutes to arrive at our SSR building ) but will cost you, so it depends on how much time you have spare versus whether you want to spend on an Uber.

Hey everyone....we are heading back to SSR in September for the third time....and yet I still have questions. :rolleyes1

We have previously stayed in Grandstand and Springs. This time looking to stay closer to the walkway to DS but not too far from a pool. Any suggestions?

Congress Park is closest to DS. However it is preferred. So if you’re staying in a standard villa, I would probably shoot for the end of Padddock as a request. Maybe building 65-68. Another option would be Grandstand. It is further from DS but very close to where the boat picks up. It’s a nice, short boat ride from there.

To get to AKL, or really any resort very far away, I would just Uber. The timing of the walk, the wait and the bus ride would certainly take longer than the Uber ride and it’ll only cost you about $10. Also the new bus stop at DS is down in the center and no longer down by the marketplace. This makes it further of a walk from anywhere at SSR.
You’ll have a great time no matter what you decide.

Hello SSR lovers! DH and I are long-time WDW lovers and visitors, but have never stayed at SSR before.

This year we are taking my mom (66) and my MIL (58) with us too - my mom was last at WDW in 2005 during a trip we took during my college spring break and MIL was last there in 2002 so they will have a ton of new things to see!

I just booked a THV for the four of us and I have questions! For additional background, we are going to US/IOA first (staying at RP) and then coming to SSR - our trip is in the first two weeks of September.

1. Where on the map in the first post would the THVs be located (SE or SW of the map maybe?)?
2. How far is the walk from the THV to the first bus stop on the loop? And how far to the last stop on the loop (I know we may have to stand if we get on at the last stop, but we would have the benefit of then going straight to the parks)?
3. DH and Mom are both concerned about the bus service to and from the parks - I know the first post said it is not any better or any worse than any other resort, but if anyone has additional opinions they would like to give on the topic, feel free! My dad and stepmom took our family on a trip last year and we stayed at the cabins at FW - I am wondering if the transportation at SSR is similar - meaning you first have to plan the time to get from your room/cabin/THV to the bus stop and then the time for the bus. How long does it take from the first stop to the last stop internally at the resort - if you get on at the first stop how much time does that add to your commute time to the parks?

Which pool is best suited for an 8 year old? We have only been to the main pool.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter