SSR..what exactly is it that folks do not like..?

Esmerelda

DVC'r 10/04/Dis Veteran
We became DVC members last fall. We bought into the SSR. We were there with the guide for almost 4 hours because we had so many questions. We walked all over SSR and really thought it was a wonderful looking place.

I keep reading posts on here and folks sound negative about it. I'm just trying to figure out what exactly about it they don't like? I have stayed at BCV, BWV, the WL, they Poly, the Contemporary, AKL, the Dolphin, CBR, Port Orleans, FW, the AS Movies, and PC. Believe me, I have done my share of LONG walks in a few of those places. I have waited on buses for 45 minutes way more than once while at WDW. I don't mind the fact that there is no sit down restaurant because I will have a full sized kitchen. DTD is just a stones throw away for restaurant choices and there are many there. The resort is spread out, but no worse than the others I've been too over the years. I have done probably 25+ disney trips over my lifetime so I have seen alot of resorts.

What I'm trying to figure out is why folks don't have much positive to say about SSR? What exactly is it that they don't like? I'm just trying to prepare myself for it because we arrive there next month. I'm quite excited as so is my family! Its our first trip "home" as a new family too boot! I'm not picking sides either...just want to know the census on it.

looking forward to all responses,
good day,
Esmerelda :)

If YOU like SSR that is all that matters. I am with you! I have stayed at most of the Disney resorts and love SSR--the beautiful quiet pool overlooking DTD, the spa, the quick access to all that DTD offers, the furnishings and comfort of the rooms (just love that fold out sleeper sofa!), and did I mention the spa? Be happy you have done the right thing. DVC is the best decision we have ever made!
Lucy D.

I agree. SSR is a wonderful resort and will be extra nice when it is completed. It has a lot of the same qualities as OKW, that community feel to it instead of a hotel feel.

As long as you like it, who cares?????
I went through the same thing, I didn't discover these boards until after I bought, and all the people stating they ''hate''it brought me to tears. That might sound dramatic to some, but I (as the rest of you) spent a lot of money on this and at WDW over the years. When I got there for the 1st time, I was so relived I didn't take too much to heart what anyone said about it. I know everyone is sick of my posts about how much I love the place, but that's too bad.
Esmerelda, as long as you and your family enjoy it, that all that matters :)

I think it's going to be especially lovely when the trees/landscape matures.

Enjoy your visit!

Bobbi :flower:

I think it's a few things:
  • Location of the resort - does not abutt a theme park
  • Not fully completed
  • the vastness of the resort (preceived as being too big)

I like the outdoor corridors, parking near the room, beautiful upscale decor, great looking pool !

I am not sure about location yet, though I have previously enjoyed stays at POFQ and OKW. As long as its Disney ;)

athenna said:
As long as you like it, who cares?????
I went through the same thing, I didn't discover these boards until after I bought, and all the people stating they ''hate''it brought me to tears. That might sound dramatic to some, but I (as the rest of you) spent a lot of money on this and at WDW over the years. When I got there for the 1st time, I was so relived I didn't take too much to heart what anyone said about it. I know everyone is sick of my posts about how much I love the place, but that's too bad.
Esmerelda, as long as you and your family enjoy it, that all that matters :)

this is what I have been trying to say for a while. It seems the popular thing to do on the boards is knock SSR. I for one love it there. and yes I do get tired of the anti-SSR threads. I love the community feel, my home away from home. and just as I would be hurt if someone would to slam my home, I do get tired of SSR slammers. I have no problem with people expressing their honest dislikes, but the comments as "you would be crazy to buy there" "you are crazy to like it" and "SSR is going to ruin DVC" is really kinda overboard.
ok, I feel better now. :wave2:

Esmerelda said:
What exactly is it that they don't like?
The main problem I have with SSR is that, despite the lovely interior appointments, the total package seems closer to a Moderate resort than a Deluxe.

Rozzie said:
this is what I have been trying to say for a while. It seems the popular thing to do on the boards is knock SSR. I for one love it there. and yes I do get tired of the anti-SSR threads. I love the community feel, my home away from home. and just as I would be hurt if someone would to slam my home, I do get tired of SSR slammers. I have no problem with people expressing their honest dislikes, but the comments as "you would be crazy to buy there" "you are crazy to like it" and "SSR is going to ruin DVC" is really kinda overboard.
ok, I feel better now. :wave2:

I have a feeling (but I could be wrong) that anytime there is a new DVC built people will find something to complain about. If they do build a DVC at the CR or DL, or whatever they're planning, someone will decided it's ugly, it's far away, blah blah, etc, etc. I do believe some of the comments made in the past are way overboard, but the way I see it is, the more that dislike it, the more folks like you and I, Rozzie, can get ressies w/out stress :banana:

I tend to compare it to the whole "sequel" experience. Say you fall in love with a movie, and find out they're making "Your Favorite Movie - Part 2". SOme will see the sequel and say, "Oooo goodie!" but then be disappointed -- they didn't use the same actors! The story wasn't as good! It was shorter! It was too long! THe cinematography wasn't as good! Whatever. On the other hand, if you never saw the first flick, or maybe if you did and it didn't WOW you, you may have a different review of the sequel. People who came into DVC with OKW probably cringe at the shrinking room size and larger points costs of subsequent resorts. People who buy at BWV or BCV may scoff at the sprawling, condo-like nature of OKW and SSR. People at VWL may think Disney STILL hasn't "topped" VWL in terms of theming (after all, putting palm trees and beach theming into a Florida resort is one thing... but making Florida feel like the Pacific Northwest? Pretty impressive.)

Bottom line -- not everybody likes everything the same. That's why there are sooooo many flavors of ice cream. And not everybody likes their resorts the same -- that's why it's nice there are sooooo many options in DVC! Unfortunately, there's a certain number of folks who feel compelled to not only like a certain resort, but insist EVERYONE else should feel the same! (Not unlike my mother and the Democratic party... but THAT'S another thread entirely. :rolleyes: )

We have been members at OKW since 1993 and just love our DVC. Have either stayed or visited many of the resorts and DVC. Sometimes we get way too carried away about what we like and what we don't like...everything is a personal choice. When you really think about it, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the DVC's. Life is way too short to nit-pick at things that really aren't very important in the big picture. Enjoy your DVC membership.

We do not dislike SSR. We look forward to staying there, someday.
We would not buy points there, however. Why? To us, it would be less value for our money. The points are the highest cost of any DVC resort, the location of the resort does not appeal to us, when completed the resort will be much too large for our tastes, the pt cost per night is much higher and the rooms are much smaller than OKW, which has the almost the same location. But that is us. Everyone is different. If you like it, that is all that counts. Enjoy your DVC membership.

We stayed at SSR once. We took two other families and stayed in a GV in Congress park with an awesome view of DTD. We stayed there in October of '04 and the only area open was Congress Park. I definitely would not say I don't like it. I think the buildings are beautiful and the GV we stayed in was unbelievable. A couple of things I'm not sure if I like (I will have to go stay here again to decide ;) ) are: 1.) The outdoor corridors. 2.) The food choices were so limited 3.) It just didn't have that "Disney" feel to me. But like I said, I will stay there again in the near future and see if I feel differently.

I like SSR very much. As it matures, it wikk only get better. I hope that the "storefront" portions of the old DI part are used for something.

I DO wish it had a sit down restaurant, though.

I own at SSr and think that anyone who does not like it is crazy..I do wish they had a sit down rest. but who cares if you have something to complain about this resort then you are one of those people who will always have soemthing to compalin about..WDW is the happiest place n earth and stop complaining I have never seen anyone complain on the boards..

I think some people go to SSR pre-determined to not like it. Especially if they couldn't get into the resort of their choice and had to "settle" for SSR.
One person didn't like it because they entered WDW via Hotel Plaza Blvd, and didn't go under the big Disney archway. duh! Why didn't they enter via the directions on the ressie confirmation which would have directed them under an archway. Someone else didn't like SSR because of the small balconies (but the same size balconies at BWV, BCV, and VWL were just fine!). Someone else complained the landscaping was "just ok". (IMHO, the landscaping at SSR is superior to any other DVC resort anywhere!).

Existing members will always compare new resorts to their own resort. And it's their own resort that touched some emotion and prompted a five-figure, forty year commitment.

SSR is constantly adding new owners who bought into SSR because it holds that same level of personal appeal. They just happen to fall into the minority at this stage.

Read around. You'll see plenty of positive comments about SSR--certainly moreso than 6-12 months ago.

We loved it! Despite the bad memory of DS(20mos) cutting his forehead open on the track for the sliding glass door in our studio, we will certainly return.

It was funny; after we checked in and first checked out our room, I was telling DH how worried I'd been after some the the SSR bashing that had been going on here on the boards. DD(4.5) overheard me ask rhetorically, "Why were they complaining?" and promptly replied, "Well, it's not made out of candy." :rotfl:

So other than not being made out of candy, we thought it was great! Then again, we had our own car, DH is a golfer and loved being so close to the course, we had a room with a great view, we were located close to a quiet pool, and we loved being able to walk there DtD. These specifics don't apply to everyone or every stay.

ksoehrlein said:
...It was funny; after we checked in and first checked out our room, I was telling DH how worried I'd been after some the the SSR bashing that had been going on here on the boards. DD(4.5) overheard me ask rhetorically, "Why were they complaining?" and promptly replied, "Well, it's not made out of candy." :rotfl: ...

Didn't know you were raising such a wise daughter, did you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter