SSR..what exactly is it that folks do not like..?

I love SSR. I love the Spa, I love the Turf Club, I love the furnishings of the 2 BR Villa. I do wish there was a sit down restaurant and I sometimes miss the closer "feel" of the DVC's with lobbies like VWL and BCV. YOU and YOUR family have to love SSR...not anyone else. Enjoy! I can't wait to go back in December.

My only complaint with SSR is that it’s exposed from the road. This allows you to see the large duplicate buildings arranged in pods. Disney usually does a great job hiding the undesirable aspects of a resort or theme park.

Disney usually introduces you to a resort through the main entrance. First impressions do stick with people.

You could find somehting wrong with every Disney resort if you really wanted to...If people do not like SSR then too bad do nto go there more room for those of us who do like it...they should stop complaining I am sure I could list a million things wrong with their home resorts toooo...

Dislikes:

1) Location, Location, Location
2) The whole feel of the place (based on visit, not stays) is somewhat condo-like, less resort like. If no one told me where I was, I might think I was somewhere other than Disney

I wish DVC had more control over the locations of their resorts. If it were up to me, every DVC would be attached to a Disney deluxe resort like BC, WL, BW etc ...

With this being said, its still a nice place and there are far worse places one could stay ;)

We love SSR! We go in the off season so it is nice to be so close to DD. I think when the next DVC opens people will lay off SSR and start picking on that one. When I first joined the Dis boards everyone was picking on BCV.

DizWacko said:
Dislikes:

1) Location, Location, Location
2) The whole feel of the place (based on visit, not stays) is somewhat condo-like, less resort like. If no one told me where I was, I might think I was somewhere other than Disney

I wish DVC had more control over the locations of their resorts. If it were up to me, every DVC would be attached to a Disney deluxe resort like BC, WL, BW etc ...

With this being said, its still a nice place and there are far worse places one could stay ;)

*smile* and this is exactly the reasons we LOVE SSR over some of the other resorts! Thank goodness there are so many different types of resorts to stay in!

When we bought in a year ago, I about had a heartattack before our paperwork was even completed because I found this board (and one on Yahoo) BEFORE our transaction was complete, but after we had signed and made our deposit. I seriously considered cancelling because of the amount of negative blasting going on about SSR. Luckily, a few very nice people here sent me PMs and other words of caution, we stuck it out and I am thrilled with my DVC ownership! Since then, negatives pop up, but not nearly as often. Once the resort is finished, I think there will be even LESS negative postings because it will finally come into its own. Even a couple of the posts here in this thread bring up things that are essentially beyond the control of SSR unless they chose to build the "entrance" buildings first rather than last. I am sure they chose to build the DTD views first for sales reasons (and they views ARE amazing) and eventually, when you arrive at SSR, you will feel like you have truly arrived. I also believe that it takes time to grow good landscaping. This resort will continue to bloom as time goes by.

Laura

:earsboy:
I bought into SSR sight unseen...but, I did a little research of it's potential
down the road and realized that once the trees and foliage muture...
it's going to be unbelievably beautiful! To each their own. One point I'd
like to make, FYI...there is a planned sit-down restaurant...site will be the
awning area(+some of the interior) of the BACK area of the Artist's Palatte!
If you were to enter the Artist's Palatte from the pool area, walk along the
far right of the restaurant next to the gift area there's a hallway which leads you to the back of the building. Open the door and enter the awning area!
Info obtained from a cast member working inside the gift shop and confirmed
by others working there.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! For those of us SSR owners, we will
be more than satisfied with SSR!
You gotta love the boat ride over to DTD!
:sunny:
WDW 3/77.....Spring break!
Disneyland 8/73.....Family trip!

event.png

[/url]

hi all.
WE sooo love ssr and would stay there forever if we could and I have stayed all over WDW..
Stop bashing SSR and move on to something else...
YOu can find something to complain about all resorts.. When I was at the dolphin the rooms and hallways were a mess and dirty the floridian had cigra.. butts all outside of the balcony area of our room no one ever came to clean it up the whole trip..
COMplain complain I do not want to hear it move on I am sure you will find other stuff to complain about.

We'll be staying at SSR in just over a month :cool1: and I am definitely a bit apprehensive after reading lots of negative posts (especially about bus service since we are not renting a car).

We toured SSR in May and I loved it but DH's heart is really with VWL so we bought resale. I loved the colour and decor at SSR and the close proximity to DTD.

I think it is popular for people to bash SSR right now and I also believe from reading so many trip reports that people will complain about just about anything.

kritter said:
hi all.
WE sooo love ssr and would stay there forever if we could and I have stayed all over WDW..
Stop bashing SSR and move on to something else...
YOu can find something to complain about all resorts.. When I was at the dolphin the rooms and hallways were a mess and dirty the floridian had cigra.. butts all outside of the balcony area of our room no one ever came to clean it up the whole trip..
COMplain complain I do not want to hear it move on I am sure you will find other stuff to complain about.

Okay, I ignored your first post like this but after this one I had to jump in to say nobody is "bashing" or complaining about SSR. My gosh, everyone is entitled to their opinion and c'mon, we're talking about a resort , not your child or something. I'm glad you love your resort, and if you read the posts carefully, it sounds like most people who have posted do too. This thread was started to answer the OP's question and all that the responses are doing is posting their opinions , again, which we are ALL entitled to. If someone (and it does happen) states that they don't care for my home resort, I certainly don't get upset about it. Geesh, life is too short IMO.

kritter said:

If that's the case, why open a thread entitled "SSR...what exactly is it that folks do not like?" then jump all over posters who are simply trying to answer the OP's question?

I'm sure SSR is very nice. My folks just bought into BWV and the reason is that they want to be within walking distance of Epcot - location - it's that simple. Additionally, there are many people for whom Downtown Disney does not hold much allure, I personally don't go to WDW to shop, I can do that anywhere.

I have been to all of them except OKW (going in October :cool1: ). They are all great resorts. But just like others, I have a favorite< SSR. :cheer2: We are going back in April and I can't wait. It is all opinion. Some like to be close to the parks others don't.( I find that my family will relax if the TOT isn't towering above :rotfl: .) Some like "hotel feel" others don't. (I like both). Some like beach, BW and others like the lodge. (I like both). Some people are just more opinionated than others. I have never had a bad time and I hope I never will.

Just enjoy! :goodvibes

Esmerelda said:
I have waited on buses for 45 minutes way more than once while at WDW.
What exactly is it that they don't like?

looking forward to all responses,
good day,
Esmerelda :)

You gave the number one reason we do not like about OKW or SSR (there are more but thats the big one). They are beautifull resorts. But BUS ELIMINATION is our primary goal. A perfect example is when we go back to our room in the afternoon, some swim and some nap. We feel to be safe for ANY reason to get to EPCOT OR MGM (ex PS at Japan, FP for a ride, get there when it opens, Illuminations or Fantasmic etc) we need to leave our room at SSR/OKW 1 hour before we need to be at our destination. You just mentioned 45 minutes just waiting for a bus-you still have to get there and get to your destination so 1 hour is conservative. We can leave our room at BCV and be to Japan in 10 minutes guaranteed as an example. Illuminations to the BCV room is 10 minutes-its close to an hour to your room at OKW. I have left my room at BWV at 8:45 and walked to Fantasmic in time at 9. We only do AK 1/2 day per week trip so an AK bus is not a big deal. MK can be a monorail or a bus but at least its just one park.

I suspect my main anti-SSR feelings may have to do with a combination of the immature landscaping and the sheer amount of plain concrete in the vicinity of the check-in area and the pool. Also...the one thing I don't want to see in close proximity is another hotel building... In the course of visiting during construction some of the sections seemed to be much too proximate to one another for my taste. BUT that impression may change after the landscaping is performed. Plus I can't figure out what about the place is supposed to be like Saratoga Springs, NY.

We love SSR! The location,pools,the walk to DTD,outside halls,parking close to your rm,the view at night even the bus service its all great.Beats the heck out of going to work :goodvibes Our 4th visit is coming up in 36days. And we have 2 more trips home all set for feb. and may 06. Hope you have a great time :teeth:

We have stayed at all WDW DVC's except SSR. We have certainly found what we like and don't like during our last few trips.

SSR would be our last choice for any WDW vacation (and honestly, DH says he would not go before he would stay in SSR).

Here's what we like in a DVC resort:
1) LOCATION...it is our goal to be able to walk to at least ONE park. Since we are repeat Epcot goers, BCV or BWV fit that requirement nicely.
2) "Hotel" feel....this is another biggie for us. I like the "bustle" of a hotel. VWL is about as quiet as I want to get.
3) Amenities that are endearing to us...this is where BCV pulls ahead of the rest (for us). Beaches 'n Cream is so amazing, and my dd LOVES SAB.
4) Theming....the Victorian "Cape Cod" theming is my absolute favorite...just walking into that hotel relaxes me.
5) Unique transportation options...this is where VWL pulls ahead. I really love taking the boat to MK. Of course, we also take the boat to MGM from BCV.

Here's what we don't like:
1) Isolation....we feel "disconnected" at OKW or SSR. I constantly feel like I am "missing" something at OKW (and, I assume I would also feel this way at SSR). The resorts are too spread out for my tastes. I don't like having to drive to the front desk/store area.
2) Distance from parks...OKW and SSR just seem too far away for our tastes. When we were at OKW in April, my dd (she is 3) said, "Mommy, the next time we come to WDW, can we stay at WDW?" We tried to explain to her that OKW WAS in WDW, and she replied, "Well, can we stay at the WDW that we don't have to drive to?" She wasn't buying it....I guess it's "in the genes"!!

I think EVERYONE "ranks" the resorts in their mind. We all have those we like a lot, and those we don't care for. I have read a LOT of posters from the N/E and mid-west say that they don't care for VWL because it reminds them of home...."woodsy" theme is not their idea of a vacation. Many people complain that BWV hallways are too long, while others complain that BCV is "falling apart". Seldom do people complain that these other resorts are being "bashed".

I also seem to notice that most often, the people who are most bothered by these comments are people who have not yet been "home". To those people I say....rest assured that if you think you will love your resort, you probably will. Don't sweat what others say. SSR is "not my cup of tea", but neither is watching sports (except for hockey), scary movies, or alcohol...people are different...that's all there is to it!!!

Enjoy your resort!!

:wave:

Beca

DVC is not a trivial purchase is it? Sometimes, unconscientiouly at least, some might feel a need to justify the money spent and there is comfort in knowing that they "own the best."

It really all comes down to a matter of taste doesn't it? What does best mean anyway? Can someone please tell me that?

All the resorts are fine and a fairly consistent product with some variances. It's swings and round-abouts. But the balance sheet really does come out more or less even for each resort, doesn't it?

I know for me, tranquility and serenity are important. I live in Chicago and can walk 1.5 blocks to an El (elevated station). The El runs in the alley behind my house right behind my garage. I also grew up in Brooklyn 1 block from the boardwalk (the real Coney Island Boardwalk), the beach and ocean. I hate both (ever since I was 3 years old when my sister made me walk all the way home when I had sand in my bathing suit).

The last thing I would want in a vacation is sand, beach, and hustle and bustle. Luckily there are options for me and I own at 2 of them.

I am sure that there are others who love leaving the quiet places where they live and spend time in the middle of everything, or those for whom the feeling of the ocean has irresistable allure. Well there are choices for those people as well.

It doesn't mean that one is necessarily better than the other, just different.

I bought where I wanted to be, so what's the big deal about other people buying where they want to be?

As the French say, "chaque a son gout." Each to his own taste.

Hi,

Mom & I were @ SSR in June & didn't like the feel of thhe place. Didn't have that Disney fun feel to it. Also the place is too big & they aren't finished. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Just came back from SSR on Sat, stayed in the 2 bdr with IL's points. We just put our deposit down last week for SSR.

MY DH has been lurking on the DVC boards here for some time, so he was a little worried about staying at SSR. There were some issues, bus comes to mind, but I think they will get better as the resort expands and matures.

But, my opinion is maybe not the most balanced, since I have never stayed at any other DVC resort.

jennyl772003 said:
Just came back from SSR on Sat, stayed in the 2 bdr with IL's points. We just put our deposit down last week for SSR.

MY DH has been lurking on the DVC boards here for some time, so he was a little worried about staying at SSR. There were some issues, bus comes to mind, but I think they will get better as the resort expands and matures.

But, my opinion is maybe not the most balanced, since I have never stayed at any other DVC resort.

We love it and I think that anyone who says it does not have the "disney" feel is soooo wrong...I have stayed at the dolphin and that is so not the disney feeling...SSR is great and I almost get the feeling that DVC memebers are reluctant to let others join in on the DVC family and feel resentfull that we belong to the newer resort/home..It is almost that they feel they must but down our home to make themselves and their home seem better....OKW is older rooms and not nice but do you see me bashing it I just would not stay there or the same thing about WL I am not into the whole being in the woods thing but I would never discourage others from staying there..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter