SSR..what exactly is it that folks do not like..?

All the DVC resorts get picked on at one time or another. But what gets me is all those who complain about all the long walks thay have to make at any DVC. If you don't like to walk you shouldn't be at DISNEY. We own at BWV and love it. We are staying at SSR for 3 nts in Oct before BWV and all the negitive reports mean nothing to us. You need to see for yourself and draw your own conclusions. :banana:

kritter said:
....OKW is older rooms and not nice but do you see me bashing it ...

I think you just did. ;)

Folks who don't share a passion for SSR are no more "crazy" or "wrong" than someone who finds OKW not nice and VWL too woodsy. They are just opinions. Breathe deep a few times and let it go.

My son can't stand chocolate ice cream -- which is my utter passion. Doesn't make him "stupid" - he's the smartest 10 yr old I know - it just makes him "him". And his passion for vanilla means I never have to worry about him snitching the Godiva fudge truffle stashed in my fridge. :lovestruc It's a win-win -- no losers involved.

I don't know why any one bashes any DVC property, because that's what I love about DVC...there are options for every stage you are at. There are people who aren't into doing the parks all the time, there are people who need a year off, and do a cruise or HH or VB etc. The flexibilty over the next 49 years was very appealing to me. So far we have stayed at SSR/BWV. Next trip we are trying VWL and BCV. Like many other posters there are things I love about each location. I think SSR is very relaxing...I love the sprawl of it, and I can't wait until the new buildings near the golf course are done...I want to be looking at all the guys running around chasing a little ball ;) They look so handsome(don't tell my DH). But enjoying golfing with the family is great too!!! Only 2 things I wish were different at SSR, better dining options (including a sitdown) and quicker transportation(30 minutes ok...45minutes really testing my nerves...anywhere) I also agree with everyone...more complaints makes for easier bookings for us!!! I don't think I have seen many postings regaurding poor service. :cheer2:

I agree with the previous post about not understanding why anyone bashes any DVC resort. If you don't care for a particular resort... fine... that is your opinion, and we all have them and we all are entitled to them. Why someone gets upset about someone not liking their "home" resort is so far beyond my it's not even funny. I just don't get it. We all have different tastes. Who cares if someone doesn't like your home resort? As long as YOU like it then you are good to go. I honestly don't get why people get so upset and defensive about their "home" resort. When it all boils down to it, we are all DVC members. We all enjoy the same "perks", etc. as far as I'm concerned.
IMO, there is no "perfect" DVC resort. I know there are things about my "home" resort that I'm not 100% satisfied with, but that's life. Nothing's perfect.

kritter said:
OKW is older rooms and not nice but do you see me bashing it I just would not stay there or the same thing about WL I am not into the whole being in the woods thing ..

By the standards that many are judging "bashing" of SSR....you would've just bashed OKW and VWL.

FWIW...I don't see that as bashing....just stating your opinion. Maybe I am missing some of these "bashing" threads, but I have only seen people stating their opinions of SSR. If you can find a thread where someone "bashes" SSR, rather than stating their opinion....PLEASE fwd it on to me.

I have seen many threads where people say SSR is too much like an apartment complex, doesn't have a "Disney" feel, they don't like the concrete, open walkways, is too far from a park, doesn't have a sit-down restaurant, not enough food choices at Artist's Palette, etc. My question is: "How is that any different from the comments you just made about OKW and VWL"? And, I don't think those comments you made are at all offensive.

Maybe I am missing something, but "bashing" to me would be if people regularly called SSR the "housing project" of DVC, or referred to it as "The second-class DVC resort" or something equally rude. Something that would be universally derogatory. Saying things like, "It didn't have the Disney feel to me", or "I don't like the exterior hallways", "It's too far from the parks/too spread out/too big"...are not bashing....they are opinions!!!

If SSR owners are trying to get other posters to NEVER express a negative opinion about SSR...well, that's just not going to happen...it hasn't happened for any other resort, and it is simply not human nature. Moreover, if these boards became a place where people could not express their honest opinions, I would probably become bored and leave (and maybe some would be happy about that). But, if I want an "all happy commercial", I'll go to dvcmember.com. If I want to see truthful opinions and evaluations, I come here...I hope that never changes.

:wave:

Beca

Beca said:
By the standards that many are judging "bashing" of SSR....you would've just bashed OKW and VWL.

FWIW...I don't see that as bashing....just stating your opinion. Maybe I am missing some of these "bashing" threads, but I have only seen people stating their opinions of SSR. If you can find a thread where someone "bashes" SSR, rather than stating their opinion....PLEASE fwd it on to me.

I have seen many threads where people say SSR is too much like an apartment complex, doesn't have a "Disney" feel, they don't like the concrete, open walkways, is too far from a park, doesn't have a sit-down restaurant, not enough food choices at Artist's Palette, etc. My question is: "How is that any different from the comments you just made about OKW and VWL"? And, I don't think those comments you made are at all offensive.

Maybe I am missing something, but "bashing" to me would be if people regularly called SSR the "housing project" of DVC, or referred to it as "The second-class DVC resort" or something equally rude. Something that would be universally derogatory. Saying things like, "It didn't have the Disney feel to me", or "I don't like the exterior hallways", "It's too far from the parks/too spread out/too big"...are not bashing....they are opinions!!!

If SSR owners are trying to get other posters to NEVER express a negative opinion about SSR...well, that's just not going to happen...it hasn't happened for any other resort, and it is simply not human nature. Moreover, if these boards became a place where people could not express their honest opinions, I would probably become bored and leave (and maybe some would be happy about that). But, if I want an "all happy commercial", I'll go to dvcmember.com. If I want to see truthful opinions and evaluations, I come here...I hope that never changes.

Beca

Thank You Beca! You said exactly what I wanted to say but I couldn't quite find the words!

allie&mattsmom said:
Thank You Beca! You said exactly what I wanted to say but I couldn't quite find the words!

Thanks!! It's good to know I am not alone!!

Beca

Beca said:

Beca

MTE!! Excellent post Beca! - and no one wants you to leave you are one of the most helpful people on the DVC Boards. :)

kaseyC said:
MTE!! Excellent post Beca! - and no one wants you to leave you are one of the most helpful people on the DVC Boards. :)

Thanks!!! You guys are always so nice!!! :love2:

Beca

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter