St. Augustine, FL -- need some lodging advice

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
Hi all. We are planning a short trip to St. Augustine, during the week, sometime between June 7-11. We're only going to stay two nights. DW and DD want some beach time, but we also want to spend time in the historical part of America's oldest city.

We would appreciate any suggestions on where to stay, where NOT to stay. activities other than beach, and dining. We already know about Columbia (our favorite restaurant in every town where they are), but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

We have stayed at the BW in St Aug Beach and loved it, and we have also stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot by I-95 and loved it. The BW was more chill, across the street from the beach (we walked over there), and a quick drive to historical sections. We always parked in the Municipal Ramp for the day and just walked everywhere.

We did the Trolley Ride, all the little stores and stuff along St George, YES the Columbia (absolutely crave all their food!), Fountain of Youth, the fort, and just taking in the history. I could spend SO much time there and I want to get back ASAP. We have gone 2x, from MN, and just adore it! We play mini golf, watch the people fishing on the pier, etc.

As far as eating, we don't have Publix here, so we get Pub Subs a lot, or the Columbia, ha! We did find a place we really liked along the river...the Conch House. Loved their datil hot sauce.

Have you ever stayed there before? I know you're an east coast local but if you've never been I'd also recommend the trolley. You can buy a ticket for three days, well, that's what we do. Take the tour the first trip then use it for transportation the remainder. Lots of stops throughout town. Just hop off at the stop. Back on when you're ready.
As far as lodging, we have our own RV and stay in campgrounds so no advice on that part.

We have stayed at the BW in St Aug Beach and loved it, and we have also stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot by I-95 and loved it. The BW was more chill, across the street from the beach (we walked over there), and a quick drive to historical sections. We always parked in the Municipal Ramp for the day and just walked everywhere.

We did the Trolley Ride, all the little stores and stuff along St George, YES the Columbia (absolutely crave all their food!), Fountain of Youth, the fort, and just taking in the history. I could spend SO much time there and I want to get back ASAP. We have gone 2x, from MN, and just adore it! We play mini golf, watch the people fishing on the pier, etc.

As far as eating, we don't have Publix here, so we get Pub Subs a lot, or the Columbia, ha! We did find a place we really liked along the river...the Conch House. Loved their datil hot sauce.
Thanks. You know there is a Columbia in Celebration...right?

We love St. Augustine. If you're B&B type people there are some lovely options right down town. We liked the Peace and Plenty Inn. You can park your car when you check in and leave it there until you check out.

Catch 27 is a fabulous restaurant and check out The Hyppo for popsicles.

Hi all. We are planning a short trip to St. Augustine, during the week, sometime between June 7-11. We're only going to stay two nights. DW and DD want some beach time, but we also want to spend time in the historical part of America's oldest city.

We would appreciate any suggestions on where to stay, where NOT to stay. activities other than beach, and dining. We already know about Columbia (our favorite restaurant in every town where they are), but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

We like the beach at Anastasia State Park best. The water and sand is great. If someone wants to camp, there are spots right there near the beach.

There are a few different museums, if you are interested. Ripley's (believe it or not), Pirate & Treasure, Medival Torture, Lightner, etc.

Tours, both during the day and evening.

There is a winery, San Sebastian, that we like to go to. A few breweries as well, and chocolatiers.

Castillo de San Marcos is amazing to see, just the history of it.

If you are wandering the historic area, there is a little place that serves the best empanadas. I think it's called Spanish Bakery & Cafe.
Casa Maya (right across from the castillo) is decent. You can sit upstairs and get a great view of the water.

There are shops of all kinds and a couple of places to take those 'old timey' photos.

Someone on another site recommended 44 Spanish Street Inn in historic downtown. We decided to stay there two years ago for a few days and loved it. We loved having access to the shops and restaurants within steps of our B & B and the owners were the nicest gentlemen. Breakfast was always delicious and served in a lovely courtyard. Because of the location, we didn’t use the trolley and walked to most of our destinations.

We enjoyed the fort and the Pirate museum right across the street, drove to the beach, but it was a short trip and we stopped at the alligator farm along the way. Our favorite dinner was at Harry’s Seafood, which is located across the street from the water in the old town area. Food and service were excellent.

There is so much to see and do, we didn’t try to squeeze everything in. We choose a few unique and interesting things to see and do and are definitely planning to return to see the rest of the city. Enjoy your trip!

We stayed at Casa Monica. It’s in the middle of everything. And guests get access to the Serenata Beach Club. We would definitely do it again.

We’re not local (although we wish we were!), but my husband & I have been visiting St. Augustine since we got married, & now we go multiple times a year. (And, before THAT, my parents took my sister & me beginning when we were babies.) Our kids are actually more familiar w/ St. Augustine than they are w/ our own home town. We were there in December for Christmas, stopped for brunch on our recent epic road trip, & will be back for 2 weeks at the end of June.

We usually rent a condo on Crescent Beach which is down the beach from St. Augustine Beach proper, so I’m not as familiar, however, w/ the hotels, inns, & B & Bs. Some day, I’d love to stay at the Casa Monica downtown.

Our favorite restaurants in the historic district are The Columbia, The Floridian, Harry’s, & The Ice Plant, & Prohibition Kitchen.

I know you’re familiar w/ The Columbia &, I think, Harry’s, but The Floridian is wonderful - updated southern cuisine w/ coastal influences, very farm-to-table. And also lots of interesting drinks & cocktails. It’s my new favorite.

Oh, & the women’s restroom at Harry’s is supposed to be haunted.

The Ice Plant, which is close to Lincolnville, is a MUST for brunch on the weekends, but they also have great lunch & dinner menus. It’s located w/ the St. Augustine Distillery, & they make all their own ice & have different ices for different drinks, if you‘re interested in that sort of thing.

The Prohibition Kitchen is a quirky themed restaurant right on St. George Street, but dinner can get crowded & loud. The Prohibition Kitchen also has the Roosevelt Room, a themed speak-easy, which is open for breakfast & lunch. We had brunch there several days ago, & it was wonderful!

OC White’s is right across from the street from the bay & has a lot of history. The upstairs is supposed to be haunted. We’ve had good & just okay meals there, but we like the setting... And it’s become a sentimental favorite.

There are quite a few newer restaurants in the area which we haven’t yet tried that get consistently good reviews - Catch 27, Michael‘s, & Preserved (in Lincolnville). St. Augustine Fish Camp is another one & is located by the water.

For lunch, we LOVE Crave & the Spanish Bakery - the Spanish Bakery (on St. George Street) is a traditional “must-do” for us. And we love Hyppo’s popsicles!

One of our very favorite restaurants is on Vilano Beach - Cap’s on the Water - beautiful sunset dining on the water (it’s located on the intracoastal side) w/ a great menu. Because we were being extremely careful, this is the ONLY restaurant at which we dined when we were there in December.

On the island, our current favorite is probably BlackFly - excellent menu. The only downside is there’s nothing really special about the location - it’s not on the water OR in the historic district & doesn’t have outside dining. But the dishes are expertly prepared w/ slight Asian influences.

We’ve been a little disappointed w/ other restaurants on the island lately & need to find some new favs. A lot of people like Sunset Grille, & my sister & her family love Mango Mango’s. We always end up at Salt Life. Amici’s, an Italian restaurant, is getting great reviews.

Saltwater Cowboy’s is another one of our sentimental favorites, but it’s always hit or miss. Sometimes, it’s wonderful, & sometimes it’s not. But the restaurant is themed like an old Florida Cracker house w/ some fabulous decor, & its setting on the water is gorgeous - especially at sunset.

For things to do & see -

* The Fort, of course.... it’s made out of coquina & has stood for so long... but it worries me because I think it’s really starting to show its age...

* The haunted lighthouse tour at night is wonderful - you get to tour the lighthouse & its buildings, climb the tower, & hear a lot of ghost stories that are are based on historical facts. The Lighthouse is also a neat experience just by itself during the day as well.

* The St. Augustine Distillery Tour is really fun & interesting.

* Our family LOVES the Alligator Farm! It is really, really well done & has lots to see beyond just alligators. There are a pair of red banded green rat snakes that I’ve been checking on since they were babies... due to Covid, we haven’t been since December 2019... so it’s been a while since I’ve checked on them! The Alligator Farm has been there forever & has changed & adapted into a fully credited & recognized national zoo of excellence now. We’ve done a “behind the scenes” tour there which was great. And, if you like birds, there’s a whole rookery there.

* The Pirate Museum Is surprisingly well done - it was designed by former Disney Imagineers... touring the Fort & then the Pirate Museum go well together.

* An Eco Tour - we’ve done several educational eco tours w/ Eco Tours... ask for Captain Zack... the tours are smaller w/ just your family or maybe one other family... we’ve learned a lot about the local flora & fauna, the ecosystems, & dolphins & different birds while on the tours... we’ve also rented kayaks though Eco Tours

* If y’all really like history, the Lightner Museum has some beautiful pieces & also a lovely garden area. The restaurant there is situated in what was the former indoor swimming pool of one of the Flagler Hotels.

* I also consider The Fountain of Youth a must for visitors not familiar w/ the area because it tells the story of the beginning of St. Augustine so well... in addition to the Fountain, there are some living history demos & some weapon demos.

We stayed at the Hampton on st. Augustine beach. On St. George street there’s a cute little pretzel place called Ben’s pretzels. Very good and has a cute little garden in the back to sit and eat your food. We liked the trolley and the fountain of youth. We took a boat ride with St. Augustine Boat Tours. It wasn’t too long, just long enough. So much stuff to do. We loved it.

We love Columbia too! We also really liked The Ice Plant and Distillery tour. The food was very good and so were the drinks. The trolley tour is a lot of fun. We were surprised at how much we enjoyed Potters Wax museum. We stayed at the Doubletree.

Ugh, reading all of this, I cannot wait to go back. Hands down, one of the best places I have ever been!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter