• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

!st time at POR (Riverside), please tell me about it!

Kimberle

WL Vet
We've always stayed deluxe. This year, we're trying a mod. I've requested a mansion (#85) since it appears closest to the main pool and food court. We've stayed concierge the past several years, so it's been a long time since I've gotten the mug. What are the beverage selections? Is there juice now available? Is the only refill station at the food court? How far is that from the main pool? How is the main pool & it's slide? I can't find many pictures.

I believe we can use the pool at the Fr Qtr too, correct? How are the buses? How is the boat to DTD? Where does it drop you? (I've never been to DTD. We are planning dinner & shopping there one night, maybe a movie.)

What toiletries are provided (so I know what to pack).

I don't see an "official thread", is there one?

TIA! :wizard:

Here's the link to the POR thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=396424

I'm staying there for the 1st time in September. There are a lot of opinions out there. I hope you find the thread helpful.

I am also staying for the first time at this resort in August. . .there is a thread on the Resort Photos board that has some GORGEOUS pictures of the Resort. . .there is also an unofficial Port Orleans webside dedicated to everything Port Orleans with some great property layout maps. . .that website is portorleans.org. I have fallen in love with the pictures and also hope to stay in the Mansions section. . .Either Magnolia Terrace or Oak Manor. . .love both of these properties. . .

I stayed there and also frequent a lot of deluxes. While it is hard to trade down to a moderate I think Disney does a great job with POR, CBR, POFQ and CSR. There are nice walkways at POR, the pool is ok, nothing special imho. I didn't find the food that good though the breakfast court was one of the nicer ones.

You should be able to find plenty of pictures on the net of the pool.

Moderates are very different to deluxe concierge - but I guess you know that! :) I love POR, and what you lose in terms of service perks you gain in terms of the landscaping and theme. Check out www.portorleans.org for answers to most of your other questions, or the FAQ thread mentioned above.

Andre

I am a DVC member and have stayed at all most all of the hotels on property. Port Orleans Riverside is a nice moderate. Grounds are beautiful. Good price and good location. Now the down side.... double beds in rooms. If you don't mind that then this is a good step up from the value resorts which I detest. Bus service is very crowded because this is the largest hotel on the property with over 5000 rooms. Once at MK the Riverside bus didn't arrive for almost 2 hours. I ended up taking the French Quarter bus back and walking. At least you have an option.

Pool is ok. Slide is fun even for adults. Pool is better for kids at French Quarter. Food court is gross. I do like Boatwrights sit down restaurant for breakfast. Reminded me of a Cracker Barrel.

Boats are cool to take to downtown disney. Just watch out in the winter time at night. I froze for about a half hour riding it back one night.

Best thing to do there is the horse drawn carriage ride. Well worth the money!

I was at POR this past May (memorial week). There is really nothing negative that I can say about the POR. (You can see by my signature that I have stayed at at lot of Disney Resorts) The food court had fewer choices than the CBR but still had an adequate number of choices. I was in one of the Mansion Buildings and it was not too far away from the food court or the main pool area. The bus transportation was timely and not extremely crowded. Have a great trip!!

Bus service is very crowded because this is the largest hotel on the property with over 5000 rooms.

They've been doing a lot of building work since I was last there then... LOL. POR has 2,048 rooms and POFQ (which often shares the bus service) has a further 1,008.

But you're right about the fact that the buses can get crowded at busy times, mainly when you're trying to leave a park right after fireworks when the whole world seems to be trying to do the same thing. Personally, I prefer to wait a bit and let everyone else stand in line while I enjoy the thinning crowds in the park and maybe do a bit of shopping. Generally the buses aren't that major an issue though as long as you avoid peak times - of course, if you do catch a time when the system is not running well, it could get pretty bad given the size of the resort (and there are a number a threads here which discuss that!)

Andre

We to are staying at POR for the first time and I can't wait! I've definitely heard more positive than negative (in which I take the negative with a grain of salt) hehehe

I am certain you will have a fantastic time though it will be very different from having concierge level at deluxe resorts.

I travel extensively and have stayed at basic motels to high end resorts. I find that obviously there aren't as many amenities etc at moderate/3star places but that the crowds are fun and approachable.

We love Port Orleans Riverside! We will be there for the second time the last week of August. It is a beautiful resort and never really feels crowded to us. It is a very relaxing place, feels like a vacation. It is big and spread out but nothing overbearing as far as walking. We previously stayed in Building 38 which is the farthest Alligator Bayou building before Magnolia Bend, and it was about 10 minutes tops to the Riverside Mill. (food court) My husband and I were there in July 2004 and never had a problem with the buses even with sharing with French Quarter. Eating in the food court was never a problem either. No lines or waits. We also loved having the boat to Downtown Disney, it is a nice ride. I do not think you will be disappointed. Hope you have a great trip! We cannot wait to be there. :goodvibes

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

POR was forced on us when my 3rd child turned 4 and we were very nervous about the resort. Deluxe for us as a family of 5 is way too pricey and not realistic on a yearly basis. We have loved POR since heading there 4 years ago. As you can see on the bottom of my thread, that is the resort for us. We love the grounds and the walkways. The resort is very quiet and peaceful. The food court is great even for the pickiest eaters. BOB in the longe is great entertainment for the whole family. The general store is nice and the staff are great. The rooms are nice and clean and a saviour to have 2 sinks in the morning getting 5 people up and out the door. We have had great success with the mousekeeping and last year we were given towel animals for the first time. The buses can be a good thing and a bad. Getting back at night after the parks closing can sometimes be a long wait but nothing that I have had to complain about. Best of luck with your trip and I'm sure you will enjoy POR.:)

POR is an amazing resort. It is quiet, clean, beautifully landscaped, and the food is amazing. The boats that take you to Downtown Disney are lots of fun and there are romantic carriage rides in the evening. We stayed in the mansion section and were so impressed with everything. Each night we came back from our day at the parks to towel animals and a spotless room. Housekeeping even made up our babies crib with Mickey Mouse sheets and made him a towel animal. You are in for a real treat. After staying there I can"t seem to justify paying hundreds of dollars for a deluxe resort.

I am also staying for the first time at this resort in August. . .there is a thread on the Resort Photos board that has some GORGEOUS pictures of the Resort. . .there is also an unofficial Port Orleans webside dedicated to everything Port Orleans with some great property layout maps. . .that website is portorleans.org. I have fallen in love with the pictures and also hope to stay in the Mansions section. . .Either Magnolia Terrace or Oak Manor. . .love both of these properties. . .
You will love it! We have stayed in Oak Manor the last two years and hope to once again this year.

We stay at POR for the 1st time last Sept. and we loved it!
I thought the Food Court choices were great--Loved the Create
your Own Pasta Station-this was our favorite thing to eat
in WDW!!
We requested Mansions and got our request--we really enjoyed
this section and were able to walk over to POFQ one morning
for Beignets--YUM!!
The Landscaping and Architecture are beautiful--plenty of flowers,
small animals like bunnies, ducks and duckings, turtles (in river)
it was so peaceful.
My DS really enjoyed the Main Pool at POR and he also enjoy the
quiet pool one day.
We ate eating Breakfast at Boatwrights TS Restaurant--
try the Sweet potato Pancakes (very good) they also have
stuffed French Toast (I think it is similar to Tonga Toast with
bananas inside). My DH order Eggs Benidicit (very good also).
I thought the Food Court was one of the best we had eaten at--
Loved the Create your Own Pasta Station--must have eaten here
everyother night while staying.
The Boat to DTD was great and a conventant Bus Hub for going to other
Resorts for ADRs.

We're planning our first stay at Riverside right now and we're all very excited!! We're waiting for the '09 AAA packages to be released so we can book. The "unofficial" Port Orleans website mentioned above is awesome!!! :thumbsup2

Carla

Thanks for all the great feedback so far!:thumbsup2

Does anyone know what the current ammenties are? Are they the new H2O? Last year at AKL, we got the body wash, shampoo, conditioner & lotion.

:wizard: We will staying at POR for the first time in August. After reading all these great reviews we're really excited about it! We have also requested a Mansion room and have reserved a waterview pool room. I know everyone says that the resort is very spread out, but can it be any more spread out than CBR? This is also the first time we are going without renting a car, so I am a little nervous about the bus situation...Also, when making the reservation the CM mentioned "Piano Bob"....anyone been to the bar to hear him????

the site you mentioned is GREAT. What wonderful pictures, especially for any first time visitor. I'll be sure to pass that one along too. THANKS!

Does anyone know what the current ammenties are? Are they the new H2O? Last year at AKL, we got the body wash, shampoo, conditioner & lotion.

The moderates (except for CSR) has the H2O Plus line of products. AKL had the H2O Spa line of products. The difference is that the shampoo and conditioner is an all-in-one. You get the shampoo/conditioner, a face bar and a body bar of soap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter