Stacie's Journey for Weight Loss and the 1/2 Marathon Jan 09!

postesf

Keep Pushing
UPDATE: I reached my goal of completing the 5K in January 2008 in the required time frame and had lost 21lbs. I have not also completed the 5K and 15K for Minnie Weekend in May. All went well! Weight loss now the focus until it's time to start training for the Half Marathon.

Ok. So, fist I should probably introduce myself. My name is Stacie. I'm 27 years old, 5'1 and weigh 200 lbs. (It was 206 five weeks ago). I've been married to my Prince Charming, Matt, for 6 1/2 years. He is a wonderful (not to mention handsome) and supportive husband. I feel like my entire life I have been battling my weight. I keep trying to lose and my weight just keeps creeping further up. I've done Atkins and Weight Watchers. I've had success at both, but always gained it back. I think part of this may be because of health reasons and partly just because I like to eat the wrong things. I could possibly have Celiac(I've not been tested yet) as it is inherited and my sister has it, plus I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which can contribute to weight gain as well... I feel like I am always tired. I've been tested to make sure everything is in check and all the test come out fine. Maybe I'm just a tired person??? :confused3

My sister Susan (larry's girl), turned me on to DIS. After a few days, I found WISH. First I was lurking and then jumped right in. I've joined the Biggest Loser 3 in hopes of getting the much needed support and encouragement to lose this weight. About the same time I joined BL3, I had this CRAZY idea... What if I could do the 5K in January for Marathon Weekend??? :scared1: I figured I'm trying to lose weight, why not have a something fun to work towards that can help me in my weight loss. Kill 2 birds w/ one stone--lose weight, and get in better physical condition. I LOVE WDW so this sounded perfect to me. Now, I know a 5K is just over 3 miles, but for me, it might as well be a thousand. I talked to my husband about it and he was all for it. So, we decided to do it. I officially signed us up about 2 weeks ago. Now, he is in MUCH better shape than me and I know he will not have a problem completing it. Me on the other hand--a completely different story. I've exercised on and off for a few years at gym we have in town, but I have not been since Jan/Feb of this year. So, I feel like I'm pretty much starting from Ground 0 on this whole exercising thing.

I've started trying to eat healthier and we also started walking. We walk 30-45 minutes 6 out of 7 days. I've walked 3.2 miles in my neighborhood a few times just to see how long it takes me since this is close to what I will have to complete in January. It takes me about an hour. The requirement is a 15 min mile so I've got to shave a good 15 minutes or more off my time. I don't actually have a training plan yet. I need to come up w/ something. I've checked out the Couch to 5K program, but I'm not even at the starting point yet. It's all I can do to walk 5min / run 1 min. From what I've seen, I need to do other stuff too like cross training. I'm going to try to make it by the gym to get a water aerobics and land aerobics class schedule. Maybe I can fit this in a few times a week too.

I'm not a self-motivator. I can push and motivate other people, but when it comes to myself I have an extremely difficult time. I guess it's just easier to give up. I do not have a lot of confidence in myself when it comes to weight loss or physical activity. I know if I had not signed up for this 5K, I probably would not be working out as much as I do right now. I need the support and encouragement of others to help me reach my goals. I know it is for ME, for MY health and that should be enough motivation, but for some reason, it's not. I do have a tendency to depend on others to support me in this--especially my husband. Let me just say...KUDOS TO HIM! :love: He has been very, very supportive since I started this a few weeks ago. He is always willing to walk with me and help me out in any way he can. I know that if (yes, I should say WHEN) I complete the 5K it will largely be due to his support and that of you guys and my family. I think that having a large support system is very important no matter what endeavors or goals we have set out for ourself or even for trials that we may face. I know this will as much, if not more, of a mental challence than physical.

So...This is the start of my journal and my journey for better health, weight loss, and to reach what seems like an unreachable goal. For those of you that have taken the time to read over it---THANKS!!! :hug: You're comments and suggestion are greatly welcomed, anticipated and appreciated very much!!!

Hi Stacie :wave:

I'm so glad you decided to start a journal! First of all....a HUGE congratulations for signing up for that 5K. What an awesome and courageous thing to do. :cheer2: I know you will accomplish this goal!

Having support at home is such a big deal :). Sounds like you have a really supportive DH...and it's really an amazing bonding experience to set this 5K goal and work together to achieve it!

I'm really looking forward to following your journal as you train for and complete that 5K. The sky's the limit girl! :thumbsup2

Hi there stacy!

Good luck on the 5k run and this is something that you and your husband can definatly share forever.

As for training running, just keep at it, at one point my b/f was chasing me around the track trying to attack me and fear had me going for a good 2 minutes. :rotfl:

I look forward to reading your progress!

I can't tell you how proud I am of you. My initial response when I found out you wanted to run a marathon (even a "small" one) was disbelief, but I am now convinced you ARE going to do it - and do it well! Not only have you motivated yourself to get started on this journey, you motivated me to start again also. So you have created a lot of good things all by yourself. You know I will be here for you to support you every step of the way, and so will all the great people here on WISH. Love ya!

Hi Stacie,

I have PCOS too. I know how frustrating it can be. I know this sounds just silly, but the more you exercise, the more energy you will have.

It sounds like you are really commited to doing this, so anything is possible. You have support at home, and this is a great place to come for additional support. THe challenges are really motivating too. Keep up the great work. You CAN do this.
Good Luck,
Beth

Thanks guys for all the kind words!!!

Last night I was soooo not in the mind frame to exercise. The only thing that got me out there was the vision of seeing me and DH crossing the finish line together. So, I got out there and started walking. DH was going to join me after he finished cleaning the house. On my fist lap, my brother in law pulled in the neighborhood (the live beside us) and asked if I wanted to take Smokie, their dog, along w/ me. So I did. He definately helped me keep my pace and even pulled me up our small little hill and few times! I got in a good walk, but it's hard walking a dog and trying to do the 5 min walk / 1 min run so... I just walked last night. DH later did join me on my last 2 laps.

My eating at lunch yesterday was good--Subway, but last night I made bbq pork chops and corn, which was OK, but I had 3 rolls!!! 1 would have been enough, but 3... ugh! NO self-control!!!

Today is a new day so far yogurt for b-fast and about 3/4 of a grilled chicken club sandwich for lunch from Chick-fil-a. DH and I did share an Icedream too... Now, what for dinner???

Thanks to everyone who has taken a moment to read my journal and post those engouraging thoughts!!! I really appreciate it! :hug:

Hi stacie
Welcome to WISH :)
Its fantastic that you are motivating yourself to do the 5 k, You will be so proud when you do it!
Just wish i could get there & run it with you!
Mickey would definatly motivate me ;)

Glad you motivated yourself to work out yesterday. Keep it up - I am SO proud of you. I know how hard it is to get moving when you don't feel like it, so I am inspired to know you are still getting out there.

As for the three rolls - I TOLD you bread is evil.:rolleyes1 Anyway, just move forward - today is another day!

Love ya!

Hello you guys!

So, for dinner last night we went to Ruby Tuesday's. I had a good salad and 1.5 mini burgers and a few fries. I didn't feel bad about eating the fries either. I hadn't had any in sooooo long!!! I ate a few and told the waiter to take my plate because I knew if it sat there I would keep nibbling... I really didn't want to walk last night, but DH and did get out there at 9:30pm and walk a few laps. Nothing too much, but it was better than nothing.

I've had a really hard time mentally the past few days...hopefully that will improve. I'm aiming to to 3.2 miles Saturday morning...

Thursdays are normally my rest days so probably no work out today, but I gotta kick butt on Friday/Sat/Sun!!!

I've got to get past this mental lull. If I keep this up I will NOT be able to the 5K in January and that is just not acceptable. I registered and I will compelte it! Just got to find a way...

Thanks guys for your continued interest and support!!! I really appreciate it (and need it!!!) :hug:

Keep on going! You can do it, you will be surprised how easy it becomes once you get into it, then you'll become an addict!

I hope I become an addict!!! A 5K/exercise addict!!! :)

Thursdays are normally my day off, but I did the treadmill last night (which I probably did faster since it helps you to keep your pace better than walking outside) and I only did 1.6 miles in 30 min (210 cal burned though!). So, I've got a long way to go to work up to the required timing... The 15 min/mile pace does concern me quite a bit. I'm trying not to let that overly concern me now because I know It's still over 3 months away and I've just started, but it's hard not to get discouraged...

It's rainy here today so I'll probably take today off. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and DH and I will get up in the AM and do 3.2 miles. I'm going to time myself, but I expect it to be around an hour.

I'm such a sissy though. If my shins start burning in the least, it makes me want to slow my pace. I know come "race day" I will have to push through. I'm just not very good at that!!!

Thanks to all of you for your continued interest and support!!! :hug:

Hope you have a great weekend!!!
Stacie

I know it's hard not to get discouraged, but YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I know you, Stacie - once you decide to do something, you stay determined to do it and no one can talk you out of it except you. So don't let yourself get down - think about what a great feeling it will be to cross the finish line with Matt and know you did a MARATHON. NO ONE in our family has EVER run a marathon of ANY KIND - you will be the first!! And I admire you for taking it on - I truly do, so don't psyche yourself out - YOU CAN DO IT!!!:cool1:

Hi Stacie! :wave2: Welcome to the WISH journals!

Congrats on signing up for the 5K! :thumbsup2 That's an awesome goal, and I'm sure you can do it!

And how great is it that your sister can be a part of your journal! (my sisters laugh at my Disney obsession, so if they knew that I chat with other Disney fans....:rolleyes1 ). Anyway, she's a great source of support both online and in person. Sounds like your DH is also a great support system. You're just gonna ROCK this 5K! :woohoo:

I started over a year ago with the couch to 5K program. I didn't do any cross training at all, just the running program, with maybe some crunches a couple times a week. But that was it. It's really a GREAT program and it really does work. (not that I'm pushing you into it, but wanted to tell you that you don't have to do cross training - I think that's more for the longer distance racers)

Keep up the GREAT work and keep us posted!

Hi Stacie :hug:

You are doing so great sweetie! I'm really proud of you...eating well, exercising :). Super job.

As for the mental challenge...trust me we ALL go through that! I have to convince myself all the time to head out for that run or workout. I find the cross-training days to be most challenging.

It does get easier as this new exercise lifestyle becomes total routine. You'll feel weird when you don't get out there. Before you know it you'll be disappointed if you miss a session due to being sick or life getting in the way.

I know you can do this. I fully expect to see you at WDW in January kicking that 5K in the butt!!! :thumbsup2

Hi Stacie
hope you've had a good weekend :)
Hows the training gone?

Hope you had a good weekend! Just wanted you to know I was thinking about you. Talked to Daddy this weekend and he is convinced that you and I can do ANYTHING we set our minds to - and in your case, that means running the 3K in January! I totally agree with him, and I hope you were able to get in some training this weekend in between the other stuff that was going on.

Hope you have a great and healthy day - love ya!:hug:

Hey there guys! :upsidedow Thank you for all your kind, inspiring words!!! I really want to kick that 5K in the butt!!! :)

This weekend DH and I had a great time at Wilmington and Bald Head Island. We got up Saturday and went the park and I did close to 3 miles on the trail there before we left for Wilmington. He had his stop watch, timing each lap and he would tell me what I had to do to beat my last time... My own personal trainer! It was nice. The laps are supposed to be 1.1 miles and on the last one, He said I did it in 15 minutes, which I'm not really sure about that! If so...that would be great, but I only ran (jogged actually) about 5 minutes out of that 15 so I'm not sure how my time was only 15 minutes for 1 mile...

My eating was ok this weekend. We had grilled shrimp in Wilmington at a nice eatery there (although we did share some apple pie!) and on Sunday I had a waffle for b-fast and sandwich for lunch and for dinner more shrimp...Overall not too bad, but I do think I gained about 1lb. I will know tomorrow for sure as it is weigh-in day for the BL.

Today I have been craving bad food!!! I wanted a bacon/egg/cheese biscuit so bad for lunch. I resisted, but then my brain went to pizza!!! WHAT??? So, I ended up getting a grilled cheese on wheat w/ pretzels from our cafeteria at work. Yum...not really, but I guess it's better than a biscuit or pizza!

We plan to go tonight to the park to do the trail again. Maybe I'll try 3 full laps for what I think is a total of 3.3 miles... I do not want to make this a habit because I think that would just be too much on me right now, but burning the extra cal's tonight will definately help with the weigh in tomorrow!!!

I'll let you guys know how it goes! I'm sure Matt will be timing again! ;)

My sister is right... We are stubborn and I know I'm the only one that can talk myself out of this thing...It's so easy to do that. I'm in a ok mind frame right now, but we didn't get home til 1am this morning so I know I'll be so tired tonight and I will not want to push myself...

So...my next goal is to be able to run 2 minutes straight. I can do 1 minute ok and if I really push, I can do a minute and half... I've been trying to walk 5/run 1, now... ok, well maybe by next week...walk 4/run 2...

That's all (well, definately enough! :) ) for now!!! Keep those comments coming! I always look forward to them!!! Hope you all had a great weekend!
Stacie

Hi Stacie!!!! :thumbsup2 You are doing great with the eating....you can't totally give up everything you love. It's about making choices....and you made some good ones :). A little apple pie is awesome! One of my faves anyway LOL.

As for the running...I *LOVE* your 2 min goal. That is such a great way to progress with your running. 4/2 is fantastic and as you prgress you'll move up to 3/1, etc. I'm so proud of you Stacie. I just know you are going to do awesome in the 5K. :cheer2: And to be in that atmosphere...with all the support and of course disney!!! What a great experience for you and your DH!!!!

Super job!!!! :hug:

So, Today is weigh-in day for BL. Instead of my goal of being down 1 lb per week, I am up .4 so I'm 1.4 over my goal! ugh!!!! :sad1: I've been doing my walking, but I know it's my eating that has set me back. Too many carbs. I've eaten more bread and sweets in the last week than the few before. I've now got to buckle down on my eating!!! I think even though I'm up, this is a good reality check for me... Got to stay on track! Suprisingly, even though my weight is up, I'm in a good mindframe today... (My Mickey birdbath comes in today! :) )

DH started feeling bad last night, so we didn't make 3.3 miles at the park. Only 2 miles. I ran some. My runs ranged from 1 min to 2.20. I'd walk 5 min, then run until I needed to stop. Today, I'm going to do a class at the gym--aquacise, and then try a new one--aqua pilates... It's only 30 min. Should be interesting!!! I've done pilates before on land and it was TOUGH! :scared: So, I'm anxious to try it in the water. I think it will be easier for me and better on my joints. I want to try to add aquacise in my routine once or twice a week as it's better on my joints and there is some strength training involved too... I think I will save Satrudays for my long walk/run. Hopefully each Saturday my time for 3 miles will improve!

Hope everyone is doing well!!! Have a great day!

Thanks for checking in!!! :hug:

Stacie

HI Stacie - Your DH sounds like a wonderfull man, he is supporting you so much!!
I'm glad your not letting the little WI set back get you down, keep going you are doing awesome :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter