Stand-by line for Rise ***NO SPOILERS***

We head out in 3.5 weeks. So the way I understand it, standby will still exist plus the option to upgrade to a reserved Lightning Lane slot via Genie+ ? The idea of being able to spend the day riding more than once is super appealing. GE is about all we want to do in HS this trip, so being able to ride more than once in a day would open up an entire park day. (We'd like to ride ROTR at least twice this trip.)
We don’t really know as an official start date for Genie has not been announced.

I posted on another thread but will post it here also. Thursday the first day of standby line we parked hop to Hollywood studios. About 4 pm they were saying 75 minutes took 29:47 to get to the first preshow.
Today my wife wanted to do it first. I knew it was a mistake. Got in line at 8:37 took 74 minutes to get to the first preshow. Could of went on a few good rides during that time it took here. Later in the day the lines were about 75 minutes a couple times I looked at it. Unless you get to the park really early I will recommend doing other rides first than come back to this ride later.

Anyone do early entry this morning for ROTR? How did they handle separating resort from non resort guests? Did it feel like resort guests genuinely got a 30 minute head start?

We closed at HS last night. After 8:30pm, ROTR was basically a walk on. The only time we stopped walking was when they asked how many in our party. They are letting you get in line right up to park close like any other attraction. We will be doing this for now on as our strategy to ride Rise.

We went first thing in the morning on Fri, got to the parking lot about 805, and park was already open at the tapstiles. Waited about 20 min in the crowd, at 830 they dropped rope. Walked with the crowd (it helps to get on the right edge of the crowd first) into the GE entrance, towards RotR. When we got to the actual standby entrance, posted wait time was 70 min. Actual wait time from that point: 15 min.

When we got done I told the CM outside that I had a complaint. I expected a 70 min wait and only got 15. I asked if I could wait in the heat for an additional 55 min as promised, and would he time me. He said he'd be happy to (with a smile).

Posted wait time when we got out (35 minutes after we went in) was 125 minutes. 😲

Nate the Disney vlogger did a similar wait at 4p, and said the actual wait was comparable to what he had experienced using boarding group. So it looks like Disney ran the numbers, and decided standby would work.

Just before rope drop I looked back, and the crowd was huge. Pretty sure that the ones who arrived at 8:30 did not have a 15 minute wait like we did. It pays to arrive an hour early folks! (technically we were 30 minutes early since the park opened up at 8:30)

Right after we did RotR, MFSR was maybe 10 min. Posted was 20. Only downside of going that early was no exploring the "chess room", since they were already lining us up. DD and I got pilot though!

Last edited:
Anyone do early entry this morning for ROTR? How did they handle separating resort from non resort guests? Did it feel like resort guests genuinely got a 30 minute head start?
We did the early morning entry this morning. We arrived at DHS via resort bus (from WL) before 8am - might have been 7:50. They checked to make sure you qualified before you walked past the ticket booths. Then you proceeded through the park entry and into the park. They directed us to the left for RotR and stopped the group right at the intersection before the tunnel. Around 8:11am they started to move the line forward, asking us to form a line two-persons wide. We were then directed through the tunnel and into the ride. We entered the ride building at 8:28am, got to the first part of the actual ride around 8:46, and then finished the ride around 9:03. The early people definitely had a big advantage.

We closed at HS last night. After 8:30pm, ROTR was basically a walk on. The only time we stopped walking was when they asked how many in our party. They are letting you get in line right up to park close like any other attraction. We will be doing this for now on as our strategy to ride Rise.
Wow! Good for you guys! I hope it is like that when we go in Jan.

We went first thing in the morning on Fri, got to the parking lot about 805, and park was already open at the tapstiles. Waited about 20 min in the crowd, at 830 they dropped rope. Walked with the crowd (it helps to get on the right edge of the crowd first) into the GE entrance, towards RotR. When we got to the actual standby entrance, posted wait time was 70 min. Actual wait time from that point: 15 min.

When we got done I told the CM outside that I had a complaint. I expected a 70 min wait and only got 15. I asked if I could wait in the heat for an additional 55 min as promised, and would he time me. He said he'd be happy to (with a smile).

Posted wait time when we got out (35 minutes after we went in) was 125 minutes. 😲

Nate the Disney vlogger did a similar wait at 4p, and said the actual wait was comparable to what he had experienced using boarding group. So it looks like Disney ran the numbers, and decided standby would work.

Just before rope drop I looked back, and the crowd was huge. Pretty sure that the ones who arrived at 8:30 did not have a 15 minute wait like we did. It pays to arrive an hour early folks! (technically we were 30 minutes early since the park opened up at 8:30)

Right after we did RotR, MFSR was maybe 10 min. Posted was 20. Only downside of going that early was no exploring the "chess room", since they were already lining us up. DD and I got pilot though!
You were staying onsite right?

We went on Sunday arrived at 8:30 am but did not enter untill 9am ( not a resort guest) we were at the first of the line though!! Got In line it was listed at 109 .... after talking to CM they said lines are always really long at rope drop, but they go
Down. We jumped out of line rode Smugglers run and star tours as walk on rides
and had breakfast at woody's lunch box went back at noon and the line was now saying 60 mins waited about 30 mins.

You were staying onsite right?
No, off-site. Posted park opening was 9a, but as with Epcot and AK, DHS let people through the tapstyles at least an hour early, held us behind a rope, and then opened many of the rides 30 minutes early.

MK did not open early. We were held at the rope at Liberty Square until 9a.

No check for resort guests when we went in an hour early, on any of our 4 days (M W F Sa)

Last edited:
No, off-site. Posted park opening was 9a, but as with Epcot and AK, DHS let people through the tapstyles at least an hour early, held them behind a rope, and then opened many of the rides 30 minutes early.

No check for resort guests at 8:10 when we went in.
That was last week. Early entry began this week. Your experience is of historical interest only. Offsite guests going this week into the foreseeable future (i.e. until they change the early entry rules) will not be able to repeat it.

That was last week. Early entry began this week. Your experience is of historical interest only. Offsite guests going this week into the foreseeable future (i.e. until they change the early entry rules) will not be able to repeat it.
Ah ok. We got lucky then.

Either way, my advice still stands though. Whether you’re “onsite rope drop” or “offsite rope drop”, it pays to get there early to minimize your wait time for popular rides.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter