• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Star Wars: Galactic Starship (resort experience) News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt they have expansion plans. It’s meant to be exclusive, they want it 100% full all the time. They want waiting lists.

Actually, I think they want it north of 120% full to drive an expansion to 100%. Waiting lists don't drive revenue, but on-site occupancy with associated expenditures do.

A article I wrote months ago just got published on WDWInfo just on this topic. If they build a second immersive hotel it's going to be something like the Beast's Castle where you actually sit at a table while they sing Be our Guest. Or pick any of the princesses.

I think the potential of this is greater than Florida.
Granted that other locations would not have an attached theme park. However, a completely immersive hotel experience could work at popular tourist destinations that do not currently have a disney park close by. A cruise like experience, with a disney touch could do well in other markets. The beauty of this concept is the relatively small foot print it occupies. That may or may not translate to smaller overhead, but it at least allows for location options that the big sprawling resorts can't touch.

First choice would be a Haunted Mansion or Hollywood Tower hotel.

Those would work good for a themed hotel, but I am not sure how well they would work as a full experience like the Star Wars Hotel is supposed to be. This isn't going to just be a place to sleep, it will also offer activities that will fill up a good part of your day.

Now, if this is a big success at Disney, I wonder if Universal will consider doing a Harry Potter version of this.

Those would work good for a themed hotel, but I am not sure how well they would work as a full experience like the Star Wars Hotel is supposed to be. This isn't going to just be a place to sleep, it will also offer activities that will fill up a good part of your day.

Now, if this is a big success at Disney, I wonder if Universal will consider doing a Harry Potter version of this.

See I would take it even one step further - that it isn't just going to fill PART of your day. My money is on it being a 3-4 day FULLY immersive experience, where guests do not leave the hotel except to "dock" at Batuu for exclusive time in the land. You check in, and do not see anything but the hotel and Batuu until check-out, akin to being at sea on a cruise and docking at a specific destination for a visit. All speculation of course, but they've made such a huge deal about the immersion aspect, I can't see them creating a scenario where guests could break that immersion at will.

See I would take it even one step further - that it isn't just going to fill PART of your day. My money is on it being a 3-4 day FULLY immersive experience, where guests do not leave the hotel except to "dock" at Batuu for exclusive time in the land. You check in, and do not see anything but the hotel and Batuu until check-out, akin to being at sea on a cruise and docking at a specific destination for a visit. All speculation of course, but they've made such a huge deal about the immersion aspect, I can't see them creating a scenario where guests could break that immersion at will.
Agreed. They could even potentially make it pretty firm depending on fine print and what not. I don't think they can actually keep people from leaving or doing something else, but they sure as heck can make it incredibly difficult to do so. Between the cost and immersion, I don't know why anyone would want to leave. At this point, most people probably have no idea this likely is a minimum night/cruise type design.

At this point, most people probably have no idea this likely is a minimum night/cruise type design.

Hence it's still being referred to as a "resort" even though it's shaping up to be anything but. I'm really interested in how this plays out, it could be a major game changer in tourism. Landlocked, fully immersive experiences, take advantage of ever-improving VR and AR tech....could mean some amazing things on the horizon for LOTS of IP/fandom.

That's what I meant by "a good part" of your day, a couple hours a day will be spent in GE so it won't all be in the hotel. I don't think it will be that many days. The rumor has been 2 days which I think Is the right length of time. Even with GE, I don't seem them being able to offer enough activities in the hotel to get more then two days out of it.

I am embarrassed at how much money I would pay for the HP version of this.

Ah, but it might make sense padawan. One ship for the resistance, one for the empire.
I still don’t see that happening... I can’t see the story line for the hotel tie directly into everyone being resistance or first order. The “ship” will be neutral, just like Batuu in general, and you will be able to choose sides to some extent.

Plus Disney wouldn’t sink that much space/money/etc into a single IP. Too much would ride on SW fandom filling two hotels?!? That’s nuts. More likely they make a different IP experience.

Actually, I think they want it north of 120% full to drive an expansion to 100%. Waiting lists don't drive revenue, but on-site occupancy with associated expenditures do.

Perhaps waiting list was the wrong term to use. I mean that they want it to be completely full, booked a year+ in advance.

PHOTO

Thought this was a neat angle showing the Star Wars hotel in reference to Galaxy's Edge, and also can see start of berm around hotel (probably so people can't see the hotel and when pulling up to hotel you can't see GE show buildings

Not 100% sure that is a berm, it may just be left over earth from the large pile that was there before construction. You can see the back of GE very clearly from the parking lot, I am not sure why they would go out of their way to hide the hotel with a berm.

Not 100% sure that is a berm, it may just be left over earth from the large pile that was there before construction. You can see the back of GE very clearly from the parking lot, I am not sure why they would go out of their way to hide the hotel with a berm.
There have been rumors that they will make it so you cannot actually see the bulk of the hotel at any point. Something about hiding what it looks like from the outside to help with the immersion.

I heard that guests will don spacesuits and be ushered out an airlock. An in-character Disney employee will use a rope tethering them all together in one long string and proceed to walk them over to the park entrance. The blast shields on the spacesuits will be down and the Disney guide will narrate a story/series of events as they are making the trip over to the entrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter