Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Reaction and Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked The Last Jedi but it's really losing steam quickly at the box office. Every weekday has been only half of what The Force Awakens grossed and there is the very real possibility that it struggles to even match Rogue One's domestic gross.

I don't think that they are at $537 million globally has them too worried. I also don't think they were ever expecting it to do TFA's numbers in the US.

Rogue one was doing $17 million a day on the weekdays following release - this movie is doing $22 million a day. Outpacing Rogue One by about $60 million as of right now, and still a little ahead of it. Pretty surprising if they don't hit $500 million domestic, and $1 billion global.

I do wonder why they are bothering to have The Han Solo movie open in May. There's so much more competition during the summer. Part of the reason these movies have been killing at the box office is they have practicailly no competition. I mean, what's the next biggest thing this christmas - Jumanji?

Really? My Facebook feed shows that it was at the same time. About a week before holiday break. I know I saw TFA before kids got out.

Same time, but because Christmas falls on Monday, most schools aren't out until today or tomorrow...with Force Awakens, Christmas was on a Friday, and the last day of school was the day it opened.

I don't think that they are at $537 million globally has them too worried. I also don't think they were ever expecting it to do TFA's numbers in the US.

Rogue one was doing $17 million a day on the weekdays following release - this movie is doing $22 million a day. Outpacing Rogue One by about $60 million as of right now, and still a little ahead of it. Pretty surprising if they don't hit $500 million domestic, and $1 billion global.

I do wonder why they are bothering to have The Han Solo movie open in May. There's so much more competition during the summer. Part of the reason these movies have been killing at the box office is they have practicailly no competition. I mean, what's the next biggest thing this christmas - Jumanji?

Seen a lot of people that have said "I didn't like it/not sure about it," that have also said they were going to go see it again to give it another shot. I am far from knowing anything on Box office numbers, but I wonder if the numbers could see a sharper decline if people decide they don't like it after that, and how that would compare to Rogue 1. At any rate, saw Rogue 1 on a cruise, and am anticipating that TLJ will be on our next cruise and will give me a chance to see it again to see if I like it more.

You know you are in good shape....when people aren't sure if they like your movie, and take the time to plunk money down one more time to see if they like it or not.
It would be cool to see if they have any info regarding repeat viewership of their movies.

See, this film is the exact opposite of Phantom Menace to me...I walked out of Phantom Menace thinking it was wonderful...I was just so happy to have "Star Wars" back and getting to see the back story...but as I thought it over, and saw it a second and third time, I really started to dislike the movie...the racial stereotypes...how it didn't line up with what we had already been told of the back story.

But while I left Last Jedi liking it but a little bummed out at the lack of Snoke backstory, how I spent the last two years weighing theories on Rey's parentage, and not liking how Luke didn't rush in and save the galaxy again...the more I thought about it, it felt more and more like I was having fan-boy quibbles that they didn't give me the movie *I* created in my head. Seeing it a second time, I liked it more..and wasn't as bothered by those things.

I still am not a fan of the Leia flying back to the ship that way...and the whole low-speed chase felt like weak plot (if they were heading to Crait to begin with...why not jump in closer to the planet? They didn't know they were being followed yet.)

See, this film is the exact opposite of Phantom Menace to me...I walked out of Phantom Menace thinking it was wonderful...I was just so happy to have "Star Wars" back and getting to see the back story...but as I thought it over, and saw it a second and third time, I really started to dislike the movie...the racial stereotypes...how it didn't line up with what we had already been told of the back story.

But while I left Last Jedi liking it but a little bummed out at the lack of Snoke backstory, how I spent the last two years weighing theories on Rey's parentage, and not liking how Luke didn't rush in and save the galaxy again...the more I thought about it, it felt more and more like I was having fan-boy quibbles that they didn't give me the movie *I* created in my head. Seeing it a second time, I liked it more..and wasn't as bothered by those things.

I still am not a fan of the Leia flying back to the ship that way...and the whole low-speed chase felt like weak plot (if they were heading to Crait to begin with...why not jump in closer to the planet? They didn't know they were being followed yet.)

I recall sitting in the theater for Phantom Menace, and just being over the moon that I was seeing a new Star Wars movie. The opening with the lightsabers melting the blast doors, etc, were so cool....then it really went downhill. Especially, like you, I went and saw it again.

I strongly liked (won't say loved), TLJ. The Snoke thing is fine by me. Kylo is way more interesting as a character anyway, and I really don't care how the First Order came to be. They're there, and the Resistance has to take care of them. I'm intrigued by the Finn/Rose/Rey triangle with maybe a side of Poe? And I still think Luke will play a major role in Episode 9.

Saw this on social media, and loved it:
People are hung up on who Rey’s dad is but meanwhile Chewie is right there…driving her to Jedi practice…keeping the engine running…dropping her off to meet the boyfriend he doesn’t exactly approve of, but just tells her to get home safe…her search for a father figure is OVER!

Another note on the "How does Mark Hammill feel about it" topic:

Here's an article from Monday.

And in a way, Luke is more of a plot device than a real character because he sets up something that will make sense to you at the end of the movie and you go, “Oh, I get it now.” But, it’s challenging in a way that pushed me out of my comfort zone. But that’s because I’m hanging on to the past. Hanging on to the Luke from the original trilogies and that’s not where we can be anymore. This is a new generation. This has to be the way they want to do it. Not the way I want to do it. But, to tell you the truth, I really got on board. I listened. I’m frequently wrong.

So, like I say, even though I had a lot of problems, ultimately I saw the error of my ways and I think Rian’s done a spectacular job. You’re not gonna believe this thing. I mean I couldn’t take it all in. It’s too much to process. And there’s so many colors. Mine is darker and somber, but there’s great adventure, there’s suspense, there’s comedy. It’s so funny in so many places. And it’s like I say, deeper and more challenging than in a long time.

Well, I can tell you I was also one of those ones so excited for the Phantom Menace, and honestly though I enjoyed it in the theater I pretty much from the start was thinking "Well, that was OK I guess...the ending was cool anyways." I did not feel that way at all for this - I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and as I thought about it afterwards enjoyed it more. While it definitely has some issues, and I am not sure how it will hold up longterm as I think it is overlong, I definitely would see it again, no reservation.

Another thing fascinating about everyone saying "I'm not sure, I'll have to see it a second time.", is there any other movie in recent history that made you feel that way? I was thinking like Avengers: Age of Ultron was an example of "hmmm, that was just sort of OK" but no one was really rushing to go back and see it for the purpose of determining if they really liked it or not. Even hit movies like Gaurdians of the Galaxy get people coming back, but it's more like "I loved it, I want to see it again!"

People are hung up on who Rey’s dad is but meanwhile Chewie is right there…driving her to Jedi practice…keeping the engine running…dropping her off to meet the boyfriend he doesn’t exactly approve of, but just tells her to get home safe…her search for a father figure is OVER!

It is interesting that Chewie just sort of latched onto Rey after Han's death. It's not like it's Rey's ship now, right? It's Chewie's. Or I can't remember, did Leia at the end of TFA tell Chewie to take care of Rey? Chewie had a life-debt with Han, but I don't know if would extend to Leia as well.

One thing this movie maybe sort of explained from TFA - it bugged me a bit when Rey returns to the rebel base and Han is dead, and Leia immediately goes and embraces Rey instead of Chewie - this person that she barely knows. But maybe Rey's strength in the force sort of links her to Leia. Like a couple times in this movie when something happens to Luke and Leia / Rey both feel it.

I still want to know how Maz Kanata found the blue lightsaber and if there was still a hand holding it!

Considering Luke only had one real hand after Empire Strikes Back shouldn’t he be re-named “Hand Solo”?

Or if you don’t like that he could’ve been called “New Hand Luke”

Last edited:
Another thing fascinating about everyone saying "I'm not sure, I'll have to see it a second time.", is there any other movie in recent history that made you feel that way? I was thinking like Avengers: Age of Ultron was an example of "hmmm, that was just sort of OK" but no one was really rushing to go back and see it for the purpose of determining if they really liked it or not. Even hit movies like Gaurdians of the Galaxy get people coming back, but it's more like "I loved it, I want to see it again!"

I doubt it, but I also don't think there are many franchises that have the kind of connection Star Wars has. People REALLY want to love the movie. Most movies, if they don't like the movie (or even if they say "Eh, it was alright") won't bother with it again since they don't have the connection. But there is such a connection, people want to like it. I know for me, I was disappointed in it, but still enjoyed most of it (it did drag in the middle for me). Definitely worth another shot in my mind, though not sure I want to spend a bunch of money to head to a theater to do so (though I don't have the crazy connection a lot do either).

One thing this movie maybe sort of explained from TFA - it bugged me a bit when Rey returns to the rebel base and Han is dead, and Leia immediately goes and embraces Rey instead of Chewie - this person that she barely knows. But maybe Rey's strength in the force sort of links her to Leia. Like a couple times in this movie when something happens to Luke and Leia / Rey both feel it.

Abrams has said that was his fault...he didn't think it through...Chewie was rushing off with Finn's stretcher...thing...but maybe this is a good way to explain away that flub.

It is interesting that Chewie just sort of latched onto Rey after Han's death. It's not like it's Rey's ship now, right? It's Chewie's. Or I can't remember, did Leia at the end of TFA tell Chewie to take care of Rey? Chewie had a life-debt with Han, but I don't know if would extend to Leia as well.

At this point Chewie is basically family. His relationship with Rey is still up for speculation, I think. Maybe one of JJ's "mystery boxes" he likes to do.

A lot of talk about Adm. Ackbar should've gotten the send-off that Holdo got. One problem there...the actor is dead and it appears they didn't want to pull a Peter Cushing.

A lot of talk about Adm. Ackbar should've gotten the send-off that Holdo got. One problem there...the actor is dead and it appears they didn't want to pull a Peter Cushing.

Yes...the actor that voiced him passed (not to be confused with the actor in the suit...who is still alive and was in the suit in Last Jedi). And if they had someone imitate him in the movie...you know that some fans would freak.

Yes...the actor that voiced him passed (not to be confused with the actor in the suit...who is still alive and was in the suit in Last Jedi). And if they had someone imitate him in the movie...you know that some fans would freak.
I think we’ve seen that some would freak out no matter what. Still think that scene would have been better given to Ackbar. He is a CHARACTER fans know, vs. introducing some random person. If we can replace Kermit’s voice and people survive, I think we could have done it here. :)

I just couldn't see Poe getting anyone to side with him against the hero of the Battle of Endor. I get it...she feels like a red shirt.

Haha...I love it! That gave me the biggest laugh of the day, thanks!

Has anyone not liked TLJ who watched all of The Clone Wars and are current with Rebels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter