Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Reaction and Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

That stories been going around for a few days - in fact several months ago Hamill said he initially wasn't happy with how Luke was portrayed in the script. He also specifically says he's very happy with Rian Johnson's vision of the film, but of course that's not what the pull quotes are saying.

It was published on msn about 6 hours ago and is one of the top trending stories on Facebook right now. I've seen the other articles too, just wanted to share this as well.

It was published on msn about 6 hours ago and is one of the top trending stories on Facebook right now. I've seen the other articles too, just wanted to share this as well.
And now the DIS has posted it too. They are older quotes and it seems the media is making it seem Mark is upset with how his character was portrayed.

And now the DIS has posted it too. They are older quotes and it seems the media is making it seem Mark is upset with how his character was portrayed.

Any publicity is good publicity, right? Maybe Disney is making a push to get more people talking about it going into the holidays... and therefore going to see it?

I'm a casual fan who didn't get into Star Wars until about a decade ago? (Hearing about the awfulness of the prequels had me originally intrigued).

It's safe to say that this trilogy has become a complete mess. Why in the world would they NOT plan out the entire trilogy back when the first film was getting underway is beyond me. Basically episode 7 was made and then Rian Johnson was given free reign to tell whatever story he wanted from it. At least GL had the excuse that he never knew that there would be more movies beyond episode 4. Disney clearly knew that a trilogy was a sure bet. They have no excuse.

And hearing about all the problems going on behind-the-scenes at Lucasfilm, I had far too much faith in this film being good than I should have. It's truly reflective of the attitude in Hollywood today that if you don't fall in line with their product, then it's not their responsibility to do better. Instead, it's the audience that's wrong basically. That's why having female and minority leads have been a "get out of jail free" card for many reboots. If it fails, then it has to be because the audience is a bunch of bigoted man-babies, right? What an incredibly insulting way to treat the people that made franchises like Star Wars and Ghostbusters the huge successes that they are!

There were things I did like about TLJ but sadly the bad outweighed the good. Rian was an okay director but they should have had different writers. I only want to see episode 9 just for the curiosity of seeing how they're going to write themselves out of this mess. Alot of people who don't like this film no longer care for episode 9 because unlike the other trilogies, the second film ends in such a way that gives audiences no reason to anticipate the next chapter with all the decisions that were made in TLJ. Even ep 7 had a better cliffhanger.

Only 22? Did they stop watching at the part where Leia flies around the earth and makes time go in reverse?

LOL, I think I know which Youtuber they're talking about cause I'm pretty sure I saw the same video, and it was actually more like 27 or 29. Though on a few of the reasonings I disagreed. I'm in the minority on Rey's parentage. If she had been Luke's daughter then people would have just complained about that bombshell being too similar to ESB, which would have been a really stupid way to approach it. And while the idea of Rey being no one is good, the whole build up to this revelation was all wrong. Shrouding her past in secrecy was completely unnecessary.

Harrison Ford always thought Han Solo should have died in the original trilogy. So should we not like how his character was handled cause the actor did not. Not sure why people are making a big deal out this. Especially since as you stated it seems so many of these quotes are taken out context anyway.

So I haven't made it through all 29 pages of this thread, but went and saw the movie today with my dad. My dad took my mom on one of their first dates to the first Star Wars movie. He's a fan, but not a die hard fan. I enjoy Star Wars...I like the stories and I like that it's basically a space Western.
As an aside, my mom and dad went and saw Coco yesterday.
So the verdict:
My dad said he liked Coco better.
And he liked Rogue One better.
I haven't seen Coco, but I definitely liked both Rogue One and The Force Awakens better.
I loved the Rey, Kylo, Luke storyline. The Poe storyline was okay, but the Rose and Finn storyline fell flat, and I felt, wasted a large chunk of movie that could've been given to the other two storylines. I didn't think the storyline for them was necessarily a bad story, it just didn't seem to fit well in the overall story.
I loved the throne room fight. And the Luke and Kylo confrontation was pretty good too. I felt the Phasma and Finn fight fell kind of flat, especially after reading Finn's backstory.
So there were good parts to the movie that I thoroughly enjoyed, and parts I didn't entirely care for. Also, it is long. Not sure I'd go and see it in the theater again, but I will buy the movie and watch it at home.
My ranking would be that TLJ is better than any of the prequels and Return of the Jedi.

Just go to out of the theater seeing it for a 2nd time

First, I saw it in 3D and it made some scenes looks rather cool but isn't a "must do" or anything

Second, I LOVED it the second time after only liking it the first time. I think not wondering what will happen or not and waiting for reveals to come let me enjoy it a lot more. Also there is a ton of foreshadowing in the first half that now made sense and made that part of the movie MUCH more enjoyable to me

With regards to the Sky Lord Leia, two things: 1) you can tell she senses something coming before the blasts hit so that cold have gotten her Force Spidey Sense tingling and prepared her. 2) Super cool bit with when she floats through the room she cuts through the hallogram of Snokes ship just like the resistance ship will cut through it for real later in the movie

Despite no longer being the opening weekend excitement my theater still cheered at parts and applauded at the end

Lastly, this part still gets me:
IMG_6405.JPG

Last edited:
Over all I liked the movie. Action was good and the connection between kylo and Rey was great.
I wanted more on snoke and his character. He died way to easy. I really thought he would have a bigger role. Kylo seemed so tuff in beginning of FA. Kinda turned him into a wussy. Luke being in movie was almost a waste. All that hype and he throws the saber. And at end I didn’t like he was an illusion. I like the new characters a lot just wish they did more with them. After movie I felt kinda let down. Not sure if because I wanted to watch more or the plot with Luke was weak. I guess there just setting it up to end this whole story to start fresh with 10 and have more jedis coming from anywhere.

That library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess," Yoda says. It sounds cheeky, but he’s being literal: as we see later, Rey snatched the books before fleeing Ahch-To and hid them in a drawer on the Millennium Falcon (we briefly see her store them as she takes off, and get a better look near the film’s end when Finn opens the drawer to get a blanket for Rose). So yes, in addition to Luke’s lessons that Rey no doubt took to heart, she also has the literal tools to reform the Jedi Order, something Luke failed to fully accomplish. That’s another lesson Yoda imparts on Luke: "We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."

https://www.thrillist.com/entertain...e-last-jedi-rey-took-the-jedi-books-explained

I heard this on podcast the other day I missed this even seeing it twice.

That library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess," Yoda says. It sounds cheeky, but he’s being literal: as we see later, Rey snatched the books before fleeing Ahch-To and hid them in a drawer on the Millennium Falcon (we briefly see her store them as she takes off, and get a better look near the film’s end when Finn opens the drawer to get a blanket for Rose). So yes, in addition to Luke’s lessons that Rey no doubt took to heart, she also has the literal tools to reform the Jedi Order, something Luke failed to fully accomplish. That’s another lesson Yoda imparts on Luke: "We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."

https://www.thrillist.com/entertain...e-last-jedi-rey-took-the-jedi-books-explained

I heard this on podcast the other day I missed this even seeing it twice.

I noticed a lot of things like that the second time. Also Luke saying to Rey "what do you want me to do? Walk out and face down the entire first order?" And then at the end he (or his Force projection) does just that

I finally saw it. It was good. I felt it could have been edited better. The last hour for me was the best part of the movie. Really love BB-8. Still don't like Kylo Ren at all.

Love snarky Luke and liked the scene with Yoda. That scene really got me. Rose grew on me as did Admiral Holdo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter