• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Reaction and Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm sorry then. It sounded like you were disagreeing with me, or rather being dismissive of my take there. It's probably just my reading of it. No worries.

Not at all...no need for apology. If there's one thing I've learned over the years...its that people read too much into keystrokes that usually don't have a hidden meaning/agenda. I didn't phrase my point properly but there's no malice/criticism in them.

That is a fair point (though I still have no idea what a Mary Sue is)

From Wiki
A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often, this character is recognized as an author insert or wish fulfillment.[1] They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience. Sometimes, the name is reserved only for women, but more often the name is used for both genders. A male can also be referred to as a Marty Sue or Gary Stu, but Mary Sue is used more commonly

From Wiki
A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often, this character is recognized as an author insert or wish fulfillment.[1] They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience. Sometimes, the name is reserved only for women, but more often the name is used for both genders. A male can also be referred to as a Marty Sue or Gary Stu, but Mary Sue is used more commonly

ok, thanks - never heard of it.

I can see it - at least with regards to the lightsaber abilities (most of the other stuff I think there are explanations for)

ok, thanks - never heard of it.

I can see it - at least with regards to the lightsaber abilities (most of the other stuff I think there are explanations for)

See it? It's should be called a "Mary Rey" from now on...

She was an orphaned nothing who had to barter for food...

...and within the next two hours piloted the falcon through caves and collapsed ship hulks, fought in gun battles, and learned sabre techniques and telekinesis on the fly....

And in last jedi...studied for about a half a class and dabbled in clinical psychiatry with the most black hearted dude in the galaxy over telepathic connection...

And survived a ship exploding around her, got away, bullseyed an armada of tie fighters, and all of a sudden is the leader of the whole good guy team..cuz no ones left.

...that's like me picking up a guitar and playing the last 3 minutes of Layla on the first try...while playing the piano part with my toes.

Last edited:

See it? It's should he called a "Mary Rey" from now on...

...and within the next two hours piloted the falcon through caves and collapsed ship hulks, fought in gun battles, and learned sabre techniques and telekinesis on the fly....

And in last jedi...studied for about a half a class and dabbled in clinical psychiatry with the most black hearted dude in the galaxy over telepathic connection...

And survived a ship exploding around her, got away, bullseyed an armada of tie fighters, and all of a sudden is the leader of the whole good guy team..cuz no ones left.

...that's like me picking up a guitar and playing the last 3 minutes of Layla on the first try...while playing the piano part with my toes.

well, she had spent years using flight simulations while on Jakku so she was very familiar with how to fly a variety of ships ... and TLJ showed that Snoke set up a link between her and Kylo ... and also showed that she was exceptionally strong in the Force to the point Luke was scared of the strength so I think a lot of that has explanations. If you don't like them so be it

They pretty clearly showed how her staff fighting translated into her practicing with the lightsaber. In TFA she fights off two attackers while Finn watches. She knows how to fight.

They pretty clearly showed how her staff fighting translated into her practicing with the lightsaber. In TFA she fights off two attackers while Finn watches. She knows how to fight.

With a staff yes. How much experience with a lightsaber?

she had spent years using flight simulations while on Jakku so she was very familiar with how to fly a variety of ships

See above. She seems to be a complete pro at piloting the Falcon right down to hacky maintenance stuff. It seems unlikely that any of her sims included ships like the Falcon.

See above. She seems to be a complete pro at piloting the Falcon right down to hacky maintenance stuff. It seems unlikely that any of her sims included ships like the Falcon.

She also put together her own ship from parts on Jakku so she knew her way around junkers and stuff

Is it a bit of a stretch? Sure, but the whole premise of the movies is a stretch. There are some reasons to explain her skills at least to some extent. You don't like the movie so don't want to give it any credit, those that do are willing to give it some credit. So be it

See it? It's should be called a "Mary Rey" from now on...

But...Luke did all the same kinds of things too. I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing about Rey being a Mary Sue, but if she is, Luke is. And Anakin.

If you believe that a Trekkie can not be a fan of Star Wars...or vice versa?

That's a hard hill to hold...

Obviously one can be a BIGGER fan of one or another...but i thinks it's rare to not deep down be classified as both.
Honestly, I am not a Star Wars fan at all, I am just one of those folks who digs in to learn what I can in a new atmosphere. I love Star trek lore, I just browse in Star wars ;)

Honestly, I am not a Star Wars fan at all, I am just one of those folks who digs in to learn what I can in a new atmosphere. I love Star trek lore, I just browse in Star wars ;)

Exactly...that's what I was guessing...not so clearly

With a staff yes. How much experience with a lightsaber?

They had a scene in TLJ showing her practicing with the lightsaber. Do they need to put in a montage with "Eye of the Tiger" playing over it? How many hours of footage of lightsaber practice do you need to see before you will give her credit for knowing how to swing a lightsaber?

But...Luke did all the same kinds of things too. I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing about Rey being a Mary Sue, but if she is, Luke is. And Anakin.

Other than the Death Star stuff...which is cheesy...Luke clearly slowed down and paid his dues in the other movies...it was handled perfectly...

They had a scene in TLJ showing her practicing with the lightsaber. Do they need to put in a montage with "Eye of the Tiger" playing over it? How many hours of footage of lightsaber practice do you need to see before you will give her credit for knowing how to swing a lightsaber?

Every movie would benefit from the insertion of eye of the tiger and/ or hearts on Fire

Well it seems that the naysayers have overrun this thread, including a one day old account that has only made posts in this thread. Great job, guys.

Same thing. Which is why our local martial arts place which has classes for Korean sword fighting also has lightsaber classes. Put down sword/staff, pick up lightsaber, continue fighting.
Hmm... I don't think this is completely accurately. A bladed weapon like a sword is a comparable tool to a lightsaber. A staff isn't. My kids and wife do Taekwondo at various levels and the staff fighting is a very different discipline than the sword. A blade makes a big difference versus a blunt instrument. You don't swing a blade very hard, it's more technical and less muscle. More form. A staff is more a physical weapon. Frankly the instructors recommend women work with blades because a staff is more brutish strength.

That being said, real world and Star Wars don't actually interact. I have problems with TLJ, but they aren't with Rey's ability to pick up Force skills. I had more problems with that in TFA. Nor do I have issues with her piloting things. In fact, Rey is close to the part of TLJ I have the least issues with.

Well it seems that the naysayers have overrun this thread, including a one day old account that has only made posts in this thread. Great job, guys.
And his opinion is less valid or shouldn't be made? Only people who love the movie should post? What is your point here? Multiple opinions make discussions. If we all agree it's boring.

And his opinion is less valid or shouldn't be made? Only people who love the movie should post? What is your point here? Multiple opinions make discussions. If we all agree it's boring.

I ask why there are discussion boards if people aren't allowed to discuss?

Maybe forums should go private to protect themselves? I think disney should...but that tends to be a fringe opinion :wizard:

Change of subject...how's TLJ doing at the box office? You would assume fantastic considering how good it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter