Start date for Genie+

It was supposed to be out for the 50th, but that didn’t happen. I just think what is going on in Cheapek’s head every day is It’s not up and running. “We are losing all that extra money today”. Well based on wait times for the past few days, there doesn’t seem to be very long waits. I know long lines at merchandise. Only if Genie + could charge you extra to wait in line for merch. I’m sure Cheapek is trying to find a way.

It was supposed to be out for the 50th, but that didn’t happen. I just think what is going on in Cheapek’s head every day is It’s not up and running. “We are losing all that extra money today”. Well based on wait times for the past few days, there doesn’t seem to be very long waits. I know long lines at merchandise. Only if Genie + could charge you extra to wait in line for merch. I’m sure Cheapek is trying to find a way.
Don't give him any ideas. The next thing you know, there will be an IA$ for the Emporium.

I guess they didn't want to stat the new service, with both the fans backlash and the risk (/certainty) of IT problems, while the journalists are still around. My guess: one week from now.

I guess they didn't want to stat the new service, with both the fans backlash and the risk (/certainty) of IT problems, while the journalists are still around. My guess: one week from now.
My guess is that it may be even longer. Having to shut down the in-park Wi-Fi on Friday shows how taxed their existing system is. Shutting down free Wi-Fi is one thing, shutting down free Wi-Fi when guests have paid extra to use an app feature that relies on internet access would be problematic.

My guess is that it may be even longer. Having to shut down the in-park Wi-Fi on Friday shows how taxed their existing system is. Shutting down free Wi-Fi is one thing, shutting down free Wi-Fi when guests have paid extra to use an app feature that relies on internet access would be problematic.
Wait what? They had to shutdown their wifi network? I hadn’t seen/read that.

Don't give him any ideas. The next thing you know, there will be an IA$ for the Emporium.

than they will want us to scan our own merchandise to save them money on less checkout people. Oh wait it has already started wait there will be lots of more places.

Wait what? They had to shutdown their wifi network? I hadn’t seen/read that.
It happened. I just skimmed the article but I "think" the WiFi service was crashing to the point it was affecting internal systems---something like that. But they shut down the guest WiFi to keep the internal systems from failing. Apologies for however much I got wrong there. ;)

This is from blogmickey.com,

Following extensive strain on the Walt Disney World backend systems, Disney has decided to turn off in-park Guest WiFi. We first noticed that there were struggles with connectivity early this morning when virtual queues were activated to assist with merchandise demand. From there, connectivity was spotty throughout the morning into the early afternoon. Then, the WiFi was cut off. According to multiple BlogMickey.com sources and Cast Members in the park, the decision to turn off in-park WiFi was made to mitigate issues with the ongoing use of the virtual queue, but that Disney is looking to bring WiFi back online.

This is from blogmickey.com,

Following extensive strain on the Walt Disney World backend systems, Disney has decided to turn off in-park Guest WiFi. We first noticed that there were struggles with connectivity early this morning when virtual queues were activated to assist with merchandise demand. From there, connectivity was spotty throughout the morning into the early afternoon. Then, the WiFi was cut off. According to multiple BlogMickey.com sources and Cast Members in the park, the decision to turn off in-park WiFi was made to mitigate issues with the ongoing use of the virtual queue, but that Disney is looking to bring WiFi back online.
So it is back up now, correct?

It happened. I just skimmed the article but I "think" the WiFi service was crashing to the point it was affecting internal systems---something like that. But they shut down the guest WiFi to keep the internal systems from failing. Apologies for however much I got wrong there. ;)
I’m simultaneously shaking my head and laughing. That lack of wifi infrastructure/capability seems like a huge issue for G+/IA$

...And it's seems nobody thought of that when they were designing it???

If there's one thing Disney consistently drops the ball on, it's the right hand not having any idea what the left hand is doing. Both hands tend to do really well. They just don't know the other one exists. It happens a lot.

This is why I keep asking around here about the best service providers for WDW. I rely on my unlimited data and backup chargers that I consistently forget to bring with me.

I’m simultaneously shaking my head and laughing. That lack of wifi infrastructure/capability seems like a huge issue for G+/IA$
My exact concern with this option. I can't imagine people being happy with paying money for Genie + and not being able to use it.

Sure, it's a concern. However, FP+ has been in use for years and G+ is just a variation of that and it'll be used by fewer people.
I've read a report of long lines for merchandise and short lines for rides, that's not a normal day.

Sure, it's a concern. However, FP+ has been in use for years and G+ is just a variation of that and it'll be used by fewer people.
I've read a report of long lines for merchandise and short lines for rides, that's not a normal day.
But you have to consider what was it about guest activity on that day that crashed the Wi-Fi. Why was it that guests standing in line for merchandise and food instead of attractions taxed the system in a way that has never happened before? And what can be done to prevent it in the future? The IT people should not be excusing this as a one off fluke. It identified a vulnerability in their system and needs to be addressed before they take Genie/Genie+/IA$ live.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter