Start date for Genie+

Sure, it's a concern. However, FP+ has been in use for years and G+ is just a variation of that and it'll be used by fewer people.
I've read a report of long lines for merchandise and short lines for rides, that's not a normal day.
I could be wrong but I think it was all the folks waiting around that caused the issue. People in a 2 hour line for merch nothing to do so they look at there phone. Letting kids use the parks app to play games, and ordering food hours ahead of time. There is zero reason Disney's wifi can't handle everyone on that wants to use it. They keep pushing the use of smartphones yet want everyone to use there own data.. yea not gonna happen. Also I am pretty sure other phone carrier data is not good within the parks so what are the options.

Try to oder food but wifi is down and data is at one bar... No way to eat = no excuse.
Trying to get the next LL ride but the app won't load = no excuse we payed for this and should have the tech needed to run.
Using your phone instead of a magic band.. but wallet won't load and mde is not working= again backend issue that should never ever happen with a company this big.

Them turning off the wifi is a much bigger deal now that we have to use our phones more. They wanted this, they want us on our phones, park tickets, food,vq,play app,wait time checking, and soon genie +.. also Uber/Lyft due to there shotty bus system. Alot if people saw this coming.. it's rather funny Disney didn't.

My guess is they still don’t have it working well. There were all sorts of inside reports that it kept failing testing. They probably announced it before it was ready hoping they’d be able to fix it. Whoops.

Why was it that guests standing in line for merchandise and food instead of attractions taxed the system in a way that has never happened before?
Because that day, in particular, was swamped with people who had to be "first" to buy 50th merch, try 50th food specials, etc. and share it on social media with their friends. For example, it seems like the entire Disney blogosphere was in MK that day, actively broadcasting on twitch/instagram/fb live/tik tok/etc. etc. etc.

I don't think 10/1 is indicative of anything in particular that might happen on a "normal" day.

Try to oder food but wifi is down and data is at one bar... No way to eat = no excuse.
Trying to get the next LL ride but the app won't load = no excuse we payed for this and should have the tech needed to run.
Using your phone instead of a magic band.. but wallet won't load and mde is not working= again backend issue that should never ever happen with a company this big.

👍 Absolutely correct

This is starting to make me nervous for my November trip. I was really looking forward to having Genie + as an option, actually, but I don't want it premiering during my trip either.

I think something is up. To me, this was supposed to have already came out. The key indicator to me that something is up? ROTR standby line.

They explicitly said in the announcement that the virtual queue for it would remain and youd either get in on that or have to pay IAS. Its been delayed now as surprise surprise, Disney sucks at tech and cant get it working right. Maybe the queue for ROTR was screwing up the network with all the traffic so to help they dropped it and went to stand by only?

Who knows for sure, but I dont think this launches before next year at this point.

Oct 31 is also a sold out day. There are no parties the week that follows And that’s when we’re going. I wanted to see how everything worked and what I needed to do to prepare. They should do a soft opening so guests can report back.

I think something is up. To me, this was supposed to have already came out. The key indicator to me that something is up? ROTR standby line.

They explicitly said in the announcement that the virtual queue for it would remain and youd either get in on that or have to pay IAS. Its been delayed now as surprise surprise, Disney sucks at tech and cant get it working right. Maybe the queue for ROTR was screwing up the network with all the traffic so to help they dropped it and went to stand by only?

Who knows for sure, but I dont think this launches before next year at this point.
I think it has a lot to do with 7 AM boarding groups + IA$ + Genie+ reservations all set for the same start time for the day. Imagine the strain on their internet when all those guests try to access those ride reservations at the same time. I believe that ROTR went to standby-only so that Remy could go VQ on Day One.

Disney has NEVER announced an official start date.

Latest speculation is that it might start around Oct 17.
I know that, I am saying i think internally the day they were shooting for already came and went, just me guessing.

Could also be they delayed it because of the poor reception and didnt want bad press around that at the start of the 50th.

I think it has a lot to do with 7 AM boarding groups + IA$ + Genie+ reservations all set for the same start time for the day. Imagine the strain on their internet when all those guests try to access those ride reservations at the same time. I believe that ROTR went to standby-only so that Remy could go VQ on Day One.
Exactly what I was meaning. All that combined would be a big strain on their already not great network.

We are going 10 days from now. I hope this does not roll out anytime soon. This has the potential to cause a lot of havoc. Tech is great until it is not. Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Not that I know anything, but I would suspect this will roll out sometime in early November. They will want to iron out the bugs before the busy Thanksgiving and Christmas times. Plus with character meet and greets coming back to MK and HS soon, there will be more "Lightning Lanes" to offer via Genie+.

I'd personally like to save some money and have them stick with standby only but I know that isn't going to happen so we are planning our Christmas trip accordingly and will take advantage of G+ and the ala carte options.

I was hoping this would be rolled out for our Oct 18th trip. Now that we are so close I'd rather they would wait. Rolling out a big new program the first day of our vacay is a recipe for a mess.

Not that I know anything, but I would suspect this will roll out sometime in early November. They will want to iron out the bugs before the busy Thanksgiving and Christmas times. Plus with character meet and greets coming back to MK and HS soon, there will be more "Lightning Lanes" to offer via Genie+.

I'd personally like to save some money and have them stick with standby only but I know that isn't going to happen so we are planning our Christmas trip accordingly and will take advantage of G+ and the ala carte options.

I wanted to try this but also don’t want to be the first (first week Nov). If that’s when they roll it out, we won’t be trying it this time (we have evening hrs for MK and Epcot as deluxe guests)-unless wait times are crazy (exactly what Disney intends).

When they do offer I hope they add fireworks viewing, that might make Genie+ worth it for a MK day. I wish they would start the after hours parties for AK and HS, those seem like a better value (more relaxed).

Last edited:
Keeping our Fingers crossed that this will not roll out in October. I would like to see how lines are with standby as the only option. Minus Remy's virtual que. Aside from dining reservations I think it will be liberating not to have plan every single thing. Free range riding.:-)

We did this In June and after waiting 45 mins for pirates and 60+ for jungle cruise (small world had similar waits btw) kids were done. We had to cancel BoG dinner for them while just my teen and I went. Waiting in standby lanes is not as great as it sounds.

Same thing at HS; posted 15 mins for Star Tours and took 45. Waited 60 mins (those umbrellas do nothing) for MMRR and our BGs and ROTR broke down (2 hrs inside with 2 kids). Cancelled Oga’s ADR and didnt come back.

Really hoping it rolls out after we are gone.
We were talking about it yesterday and other than MK, I'm not sure how helpful it would be at other parks. Especially, if you can only use it for an attraction once.
EPCOT, outside of Soaring, TT and Frozen, none have huge lines and even those have been shorter and most likely Frozen will be a paid LL.
HS - might be worth it, but RoTR and SDD will most likely be paid LL.
AK - again the main rides most likely will be paid LL, so not sure how helpful.
And I'm still worried how much that would make their wifi even worse with increased useage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter