StarWars - I’m over it

rkstocke5609

Registered Troublemaker
OK, I know this is gonna irk some folks off but I gotta get it out there. Am I the only one that is utterly bored by these StarWars movies? Can we really just accept these remakes of old ideas and actually be entertained? Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I hate everything. But after viewing the Last Jedi today I just came away asking myself “ haven’t I been down this road before?”. I nodded off twice. I’m just plain bored — funny thing is, I love the Marvel Movies. I guess at 53 I am looking for anything fresh or new that I can’t instantly have completely figured out. Like, I hadn’t read anything about LAST JEDI, but walked in expecting Luke to sacrifice himself Obi-Wan style and sure enough that’s what I got. Ho-hum. I should have brought a taser with so my daughter could have kept me from nodding off...

I’m good with StarWars land though, it will keep other guests Very busy!

OK, I know this is gonna irk some folks off but I gotta get it out there. Am I the only one that is utterly bored by these StarWars movies? Can we really just accept these remakes of old ideas and actually be entertained? Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I hate everything. But after viewing the Last Jedi today I just came away asking myself “ haven’t I been down this road before?”. I nodded off twice. I’m just plain bored — funny thing is, I love the Marvel Movies. I guess at 53 I am looking for anything fresh or new that I can’t instantly have completely figured out. Like, I hadn’t read anything about LAST JEDI, but walked in expecting Luke to sacrifice himself Obi-Wan style and sure enough that’s what I got. Ho-hum. I should have brought a taser with so my daughter could have kept me from nodding off...

I’m good with StarWars land though, it will keep other guests Very busy!
I'm right there with you. Well, except for the Marvel films. I can't remember which one it was (maybe Civil War?) but I fell off twice during it, and walked out during their meeting scene. I was never a comic book far, so these CGI Hulk and Thor films on other planets with characters whose names I don't recognize nor can I pronounce (who the f*ck is Ragnarok? Fraggle Rocks' brother?). Don't know, don't care.

That being said, I am boycotting this second Star Wars film. The first one bored me to tears. Which is exactly what happened with the prequels. I saw the first one in that series, hated everything about it, and decided I wasn't going to waste my time or money on seeing the second one in theaters. When I saw it on DVD later on, I couldn't believe I was watching a full blown Lifetime love story. I mean honestly... a friggin' picnic in the middle of a Star Wars film. If you had told a 6-year old me that one day I wouldn't be seeing a Star Wars film in the theater, I'd have told you that you were crazy. Meanwhile, my son and nephew (both 5) were so bored during the Force Awakens, that my brother-in-law and I had to leave the theater to take the kids home. What a difference four decades can make.

The Force Awakens was strictly fan service, to make a bunch of 40- and 50-year old guys go, "Oh wow, look at that!" But as a movie and story? Garbage. I usually draw on character names and toys. Let's look at the names. I've sat through Rogue One twice now, once in the theaters (mistake), and then during a flight home from Barcelona because there was NOTHING else to watch on the flight, no matter how many movies they offered. I honestly cannot name a SINGLE character from that film. Not joking... not one. Nor do I care. And it's hard to sell me on an ending where everyone dies, and I don't care about ANY of these characters. Six-year-old me knew every single character. Thanks to the toys, I even knew the names of the nameless characters from the cantina scene. They were on screen for a second, had zero dialogue, never appeared again, and I knew them. Beyond that, I actually wanted the toys. My son? Couldn't care less about the action figures from these latest films. Back then, you WANTED to buy R2D2 and C3PO. Now that stupid blue robot is sitting on shelves. My grandfather had a heck of a time finding a Princess Leah figure for me. That broad with the English accent is just sitting there too. I couldn't wait to open up my Darth Vader figure. That dumb kid with the horse face and his special red light saber? Yep, sitting there too. Then they have figures for characters that I didn't even see in the film. No kid wants those. Yet back then, it wasn't enough to have every single version of Luke Skywalker, we wanted the most obscure characters available. Something seems terrible wrong.

I don't care how much money these movies are making. Ticket prices are more expensive than ever, adding in the extra money for enhanced theater experiences. Plus, it's not your average theater-goer isn't the one adding to the box office totals. It's fan boys who should be old enough to know better (but don't... have you seen these overweight dolts running around in costume on TV at the first night's showing??? sad), seeing the film multiple times. At this point, The Last Jedi had BETTER have a huge opening... it's had 40 years of build up. And that was certainly before the abysmal Rotten Tomatoes 56% ranking was released. And don't get me started there. The payola that Disney and Lucasfilm put up to be sure that critics reviewed the film favorably must have been astronomical, given the huge disconnect between the critics' Rotten Tomatoes score and that of the public. "Hey, please accept our invitation to view this film from our private island. Oh, and to get you to the airport? Please accept this Nissan Rogue, with our compliments. Remember, it's called "The Last Jedi", with an "i", not a "y". Thank you for your non-biased review!"

Hahhaha people have been ignoring my ranting about "Wasn't Star Wars good enough already?" since Episode One... ;)
This all really needed to be a "three-and-done" thing. Look what happened when they went to a fourth Indiana Jones movie. Another abomination of a film. What is it about the number three that filmmakers don't understand to just walk away??

Last edited:
Op you might want to edit your title so people know this has spoilers about the newest movie

Film's been out for two weeks now. I think we're officially in safe harbor for spoilers, no?

It is just common courtesy. I know several people who haven't seen the film and have no idea what it is about. Believe it or not, not everyone is running out to see it or reading about it.

It is just common courtesy. I know several people who haven't seen the film and have no idea what it is about. Believe it or not, not everyone is running out to see it or reading about it.
Myself included. But I don't have an issue with spoilers for films. Life just isn't that serious, really.

Sorry, I’ll keep that in mind for any future thread, at this point it seems a bit late to bother editing..

Nothing to be sorry about, people who didn't watch the movie can just avoid it, it is just a courtesy though.
My dh and ds actually went to see the movie this past weekend and came home feeling they wasted their time and money.
They felt the same way you did.

Yep, what a formula for making money. B-list actors, rehashed scripts, & for goodness sake even the spaceships look the same. Honestly, the Millenium Falcon still? And those ground assault walkers? Hasn’t the empire or the rebellion been upgrading equipment? Oh wait, then we would have to make new molds for the toys.....

Wow. Star Wars stirs a lot of feelings for people. On a personal note, I love it.

Amen!

I was a fan since I was about 10,but I've got to admit:I am done with the franchise. It used to be special,but I don't know what happened. Maybe it was the prequels and putting logistics behind the Force!

(Original series:"The Force is what gives people its power. It surrounds us and binds the galaxy together."
The Prequels:blah blah blah midichlorians.)

Maybe it was GL's handing off of the franchise,or Disney's oversaturation of it. Or maybe it was due to the original Expanded Universe,which many accepted with open arms,getting a slap in the face. What happens to all that stuff now??Or maybe it was because The Force Awakens was way too similar to A New Hope. I still don't really know the reason. All I know is that I'm going to be getting rid of my collectibles.And honestly,that goes for all my sci-fi stuff too,including anything with Doctor Who.

Long story short,I didn't see The Last Jedi.

Well, I still like Dr. Who & most of the Marvel movies. At the end of the day these Star Wars movies lack originality in both the writing and the visuals for me.

I'm a bit mixed. OVerall i do like them but agree that they have beena bit predictable with still following the archetypical hero journey, and trying to send off the original characters as well. They did try some new stuff in The LAst Jedi which was nice and some things didn't go as expected (like Rey's parentage). Hopefully these anthology films and Rian Johnson's new trilogy will feel a lot more different from each other.
I'll be curious to see how the MCU goes after Infinity War movies. I have enjoyed them a lot but they are all very similar to each other as well, probably more so than Star Wars. A lot of the movies follow similar formulas to each other, but they've managed to still make them enjoyable. However everything has been building to Infinity War and it will be a bit of a conclusion, so I will be curious if there will be some fatigue and fall off. I hope they change their formulas up a bit mroe and make the franchiseshave mroe of their own unique identities. Guardians vol. 1 was great sinc ei twas so different to everything else and now they seem to be using it as a standard for stuff now.

Overall I enjoyed it as well but I have definitely had enough. For me the original 3 will never be topped. They were original, fun and didn't take themselves too seriously. I think Disney is going on overkill with the whole thing. I also started getting annoyed when I was in WDW year before last and feeling like every other souvenir was Star Wars related. At some point, and maybe it's getting that point now, people are going to be saturated and Star Wars will quickly lose it's favorable standing and become passe.

I just hope they don't overdo it with Marvel. With the exception of The Incredibles, I am so sick and tired of super heroes! To me Disney and Marvel just don't mix. And the Disney/Star Wars is marginal.

The magic of Star Wars then Empire and Return of the Jedi will never be matched. The generation today has seen all of this before, it's not new like Star Wars was back in 1977. When they release the next trilogy they were marginal, Episode 1 was damn near awful, but even at the time it was cool since they were brining back Star Wars.. that was cool.. right? I felt the same about the Force Awakens it was neat to see it come back but really the story was a rehash we'd seen before. I've seen the last Jedi twice now and enjoyed it both times. Will go see the next one and the new Han Solo? yes, but I'm in no rush to go opening night anymore. Star Wars has become like Law & Order, its everywhere it's not longer unique like it used to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter